Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else had schematics double up, I.E. 2 Lasher blueprints that are identical, but unable to sell the excess one?

Tis quite annoying when I could use the last dollar I can get, and yet can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I have plenty of double blueprints. But I'm using the fortress thing where every faction gets hostile to me. So I'm I wouldn't be able to sell them anyway.

Unless there is something I'm missing where I can find merchants that are willing to trade with my "banned" rear end?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided that I'm going to prey on everyone, even friendlies, save the Hegemony, so I at least have one group I can trade with and whose fleets I can use as shields when poo poo hits the fan.

I've been able to pick apart a few huge fleets that have been chasing me, because I run them into a Hegemony fleet, so the Pirates/Tri Tach's lose a few ships, and the rest are ruined CR-wise, so I can just mop up destroyers and battle barges with a few (well kitted out) frigates.

Also, captured a 2 flight deck Carrier last night, and have been building talons and bombers to accompany it. Literally the best thing I have come across, but the logistical needs are a little staggering. I think I'll have to put the next 3 or so levels into the Fleet Logistics skill, so I can just keep these things in one piece while flying, let alone combat.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, version 0.65 just dropped.

Fractal Softworks posted:

A quick look at what’s new in this release:

Trade, smuggling, and a working economy with many commodities to buy and sell
Four more star systems
More detailed player-faction relationships – gain reputation and get access to better equipment
Event system – food shortages, bounties, etc
Ship skins for faction-specific flavor
More music
A slew of miscellaneous improvements and balance changes

The full patch notes are here.

Should be cool.

Time to dig in to the files and see what I need to do to get everything up to date on SHI I guess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ohhhh poo poo, it's on.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Well, son of a bitch, time to dust off my license key.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that was sudden.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Godamn I was wanting to get stuff done this week. :argh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Well all I can say so far is - gently caress the Hegemony. 30% tariffs on every transaction? That's hyperlane robbery!
Edit: No I take it back - actually stopping people at jump points and demanding a toll. That's hyperlane robbery. Which they also do.

gently caress the Hegemony.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 20, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, that's neat, you now see a bunch of "D" class ships, which come with hull mods which presumably degrade their function, like busted engines and power grids.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DatonKallandor posted:

Well all I can say so far is - gently caress the Hegemony. 30% tariffs on every transaction? That's hyperlane robbery!
Edit: No I take it back - actually stopping people at jump points and demanding a toll. That's hyperlane robbery. Which they also do.

gently caress the Hegemony.

The price of security, citizen!

Does the "working economy" mean that factions are affected by the economic health of their local markets yet? Maybe the Hegemony will bring down tariffs as their economy improves. Alternative, you could gently caress their economy six ways to Sunday so's to watch the Hegemony burn with it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
loving with economies seems to work - you can intercept messages on when relief fleets for shortages leave their home system. If you intercept them the shortage gets worse - or better if you deliver the goods they were going to deliver yourself.

Since shortages and abundances change so quickly I'm stockpiling goods I get from fighting at the abandoned stations - that way when a shortage for something hits I can immediately cash in my stockpile at great prices. Reputations change really fast though if you fight - especially pirates can quickly hate you if you shoot up 1 or 2 fleets. And if you're hated that means you don't have access to those markets anymore.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

Well, son of a bitch, time to dust off my license key.

I am not empty quoting this.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wow.

Okay, got a few dozen new blueprints last night, and I have come to the realization that I must sell everything I own that is not phase related.

If it can't phase jump or cloak, I don't want it.

I built a pair of Seski frigates, and goddamn nothing can touch them unless it's a beam weapon.

Then there was this cloaking ship I built, with 4 universal turrets, and I've been pairing them, one with super-dooper 2k damage missile racks only and one with traditional guns to cover it/draw fire, and destroyers and cruisers alike have been dropping like flies.

I can't carry over a save into the new version, can I?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I can't carry over a save into the new version, can I?

Lots of stuff has changed, so no, you definitely can't carry over your save.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I just lost my awesome starting Wolf Frigate to my own Harpoon missing the enemy, circling around twice and then running out of fuel and nailing me in the rear end right where the shields don't cover. The new missile code might have some issues when it comes to shooting at smaller targets. So beware when using Harpoons against frigates I guess.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

DatonKallandor posted:

I just lost my awesome starting Wolf Frigate to my own Harpoon missing the enemy, circling around twice and then running out of fuel and nailing me in the rear end right where the shields don't cover. The new missile code might have some issues when it comes to shooting at smaller targets. So beware when using Harpoons against frigates I guess.

Hoisted with your own petardharpoon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MShadowy posted:

Thanks for the heads up d00d

e:

2984 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.graphics.L - Exiting - exception in LWJGL initialization
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

The suggestion seems to be to roll back to an older graphics card driver, which I don't think I'm willing to do, so I guess I'll wait for a later update or whatever.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The D class ships all have kicking rad red paintjobs. Don't make me choose between quality and aesthetics :ohdear:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm torn between updating and still playing Uomoz with my Desdinova-lead Lasher fleets.

So torn.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Holy gently caress.

First impressions:
- The game is like ten times more immersive now.
- The new title music owns
- Swarmer SRM is actually good now
- Being a bounty hunter rules. I found this named fleet in a far off system and pursued my mark, then finished her off after a different merc fleet failed to do the job in my Wolf, solo. You might say I was a lone wolfdhgbc
- This game is going to be so loving amazing @ 1.0
- Mmmh, organs
- Us modders have a poo poo ton of work to do

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
It sounds like an awesome update, but I'm gonna wait until some of my favorite mods get the update (Shadowyards, Blackrock, Uomoz, looking at you). I've already got a pretty good Uomoz game going right now, so that'll keep me good in the meantime.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Alex posted:

Ships that are not performing repairs or recovering CR do not consume supplies (previously: consumed 10% of the supply/day value)

If I'm reading this right, can I now have an infinite fleet of Lashers that cost me nothing to fly with as long as I don't use them, while still driving away large fleets and effectively allowing me to pick every fight as I see fit?

Alex posted:

Greatly reduced amount of salvage from battle

:(

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Fuuuuuuck I do not need this right now. Why did you do this to me when I also find out I have poo poo due at the end of the week :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

If I'm reading this right, can I now have an infinite fleet of Lashers that cost me nothing to fly with as long as I don't use them, while still driving away large fleets and effectively allowing me to pick every fight as I see fit?

:(

I don't know, my wolf still costs me 0.2 supplies when not damaged. Maybe that's crew upkeep costs or something.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know, my wolf still costs me 0.2 supplies when not damaged. Maybe that's crew upkeep costs or something.

Yeah, all upkeep costs are now tied directly to the ships crew, excepting repairs.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Holy poo poo.

If anyone is on the fence about updating or finishing up a modded game I'd recommend the update. Feels like a whole new game.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Holy gently caress.

First impressions:
- Being a bounty hunter rules. I found this named fleet in a far off system and pursued my mark, then finished her off after a different merc fleet failed to do the job in my Wolf, solo. You might say I was a lone wolfdhgbc
- Mmmh, organs

Basically all of this.

Bounty hunter/pirate hunter is a totally legit and useful way to play. You can make a lot of cash.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This update owns super hard. I've only gotten to play like an hour of it, but drat bro this is what we've been waiting for. It's pretty much a whole new game outside of the combat.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Kenshin posted:

Basically all of this.

Bounty hunter/pirate hunter is a totally legit and useful way to play. You can make a lot of cash.

With tariffs and drop rates where they are, I found that bounty hunting was the only profitable activity for me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

With tariffs and drop rates where they are, I found that bounty hunting was the only profitable activity for me.

Black Market! No tariffs there. You effectively trade the rep you gain from the faction offering the bounty to sell things illegally.

I also went from +20 with Heg to -20 in a single inspection. So. Just prior to the inspection my rep with them went down for trading with someone they didn't like. Which made my legally purchased Arm's from them suddenly contraband. So I didn't have enough money to pay the toll, and lost even more for having suddenly illegal goods.

So then I blew up the inspection fleet because seriously if you're gonna screw me over i'm done trading with you.

100/100 Hated with them now.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Holy gently caress.

First impressions:
- Mmmh, organs

Didn't check this thread until right now when I'm going to sleep. Now I gotta spend all day at work before I can get into this new update. How long does it take to get a decent fleet up and running? I'm hoping it's not too much of a grind to catch up to my old save.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whoops got worried there for a second. Turns out my key was in an email tagged with the old Starfarer name, time to try this new build :)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Space trucking never felt so good. If you follow the shortages and only trade on the black market you can make some decent cash. I haven't tried bounty hunting yet so I don't know how it compares, but trade is definitely viable. This update is amazing.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Anyone remember how to make it save games as .xml like it used to? Trying to test some stuff and wanted to edit my savegame.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is anyone else having an issue where periodically the UI will fail to show up anymore? Can't bring up character, fleet or any other screens and mousing over fleets give no information popup. Only way I've found to fix it is to relaunch the game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Generation Internet posted:

Space trucking never felt so good. If you follow the shortages and only trade on the black market you can make some decent cash. I haven't tried bounty hunting yet so I don't know how it compares, but trade is definitely viable. This update is amazing.

Bounty hunting is definitely viable for both cash and rep. I'm in the cruiser stage of my fleet already just from trouncing fools still running around in low tech destroyers and buffalos for 40-50k a pop. Add in a general 'we'll pay you for each enemy ship you destroy' bounties and you can make some serious bank in one battle.

Also wolf packs 4 lyfe. Even hegemony is stocking them cause they're that good. My flagship wolf has a heavy blaster on front and my 'cubs' have the repeating lasers I can't remember the name of, even the hardy enforcer destroyers melt under the assault.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 21, 2014

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
I've been rolling with a heron, small wing complement, and 4 mules :getin:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MShadowy posted:

Should be cool.

Time to dig in to the files and see what I need to do to get everything up to date on SHI I guess.

Gah, can't believe I missed this. Was watching anime all day long! Cheers Armagan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This seems a pretty good time to reboot the thread, huh? This new update seems to have brought the game a LOT closer to being a finished, coherent product.