Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

what is this wizardry?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I was a real employed game developer for 6 years and I can't even make a lovely game or figure out how the gently caress to do anything in UE4 so good job that owns

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echopenis i think you'er turning int our very own ulililia but with drugs and a way cooler game

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

echopenis i think you'er turning int our very own ulililia but with drugs and a way cooler game

coolililia

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

coolililia

echopenilililia

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
echinininopsis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know whether to laugh or kill myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my lifes greatest abysmal achievement? being at the top of a subreddit (r/low_poly)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

(r/low_poly)

keep my sex life out of this !!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i wanna start experimenting with electronics, whats the cheapest way to get into it?
buy an arduino, a breadboard and a gently caress ton of random components?
or are arduinos baby poo poo for weirdos?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im the kind of person who likes quick feedback, and achieving lots of little things often. arduino for me was really good in this regard. it meant i skipped the fundamentals a bit so im sure 290 frowns upon my soul in that regard but i managed to ham my way into making a few things i was somehwat proud of without spending weeks before i had anything at all to show for it

ultiamtely i've real;ised i prefer using the computers than building them, but arduino was good for because of the coding and the ocmputer side of it

if what ive said doesnt appeal then no, arduino isnt for you. on the other hand

also a generic arduino uno is like $10 on ebay or so. u can do quite a bit with them plus a few other simple things so u can get quite far with small money. u could spend less money and make blinking leds without arduino at all but to jump from blinking leds to something more? well its a big jump. IMO

- words from a guy who hosed around with 'tronics for about a year or so and gave up bevasie im a worthless piece of poo poo with no staying power or integrity and am now building a game for my childrens friends to use to laugh at his dad with

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mido posted:

pretend i drew the hat from echi's av on that. i was going to do it, but it's 578 frames so f that

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

echinopsis posted:

im the kind of person who likes quick feedback, and achieving lots of little things often. arduino for me was really good in this regard. it meant i skipped the fundamentals a bit so im sure 290 frowns upon my soul in that regard but i managed to ham my way into making a few things i was somehwat proud of without spending weeks before i had anything at all to show for it

ultiamtely i've real;ised i prefer using the computers than building them, but arduino was good for because of the coding and the ocmputer side of it

if what ive said doesnt appeal then no, arduino isnt for you. on the other hand

also a generic arduino uno is like $10 on ebay or so. u can do quite a bit with them plus a few other simple things so u can get quite far with small money. u could spend less money and make blinking leds without arduino at all but to jump from blinking leds to something more? well its a big jump. IMO

- words from a guy who hosed around with 'tronics for about a year or so and gave up bevasie im a worthless piece of poo poo with no staying power or integrity and am now building a game for my childrens friends to use to laugh at his dad with

i didn't realise they were quite so cheap on ebay, sweet
can i buy a generic set of components like resistors and leds and poo poo anywhere, or more correctly what sort of poo poo should i get?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Awia posted:

i wanna start experimenting with electronics, whats the cheapest way to get into it?

if you want to do microcontroller stuff you should post your ideas for a better rec

if you just want to blink stuff picaxes are a good babbys first micro

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Awia posted:

if you've never done any electronic stuff before, get a $60 arduino starter kit from Amazon and start screwing around. you need more than just resistors and other random stuff...io components like sensors and motors are important

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Awia posted:

i didn't realise they were quite so cheap on ebay, sweet
can i buy a generic set of components like resistors and leds and poo poo anywhere, or more correctly what sort of poo poo should i get?

radioshack actually has an "ok" hello world arduino sister kit that has a bunch of caps, io things, and a few resistors and leds and photoresistors and buttons and a few pots and stuff, i picked one up just to have some dumb bullshit and it has been nice to have around

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Knows-Electronics-Value-Resistor/dp/B003UC4FSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413911168&sr=8-2&keywords=resistor+kit

i picked up one of these which has been useful

you pay the hobbiest tax if yuo dont want to buy the costco-size version of things like hook up wire, and EE nerds will laugh at you for spending as much moeny as you will on something as simple and small as a 96x64 oled screen but lol just make things

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my radioshack still has a small parts bin and also I saw that arduino kit you were talkin about

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's well worth the "hobbyist tax" the first time you do something because you don't yet have the expertise to know what you need and how to get it cheap. yeah you could spend a couple of days putting together a digi-key order and spend 25 dollars instead of 50 getting the same kinda stuff that's in a starter kit but is getting a big headache before you even start actually worth the 25 dollars?

buy the starter kit, do a few of the basic projects, then start thinking about what else you might want to do. buy the components to do those projects and every time you do, buy twice as many as you need and also that chip that looks cool that you don't know how to use yet. over time you will grow into a fine example of an electronics hoarder with a wall of boxes of junk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

note, though, don't ever buy parts individually at radio shack unless you like need it right now because the thing has to be running tomorrow. the markup there is anywhere from 3 to 20 times the cost of even buying them one-off from mouser or digi key

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

note, though, don't ever buy parts individually at radio shack unless you like need it right now because the thing has to be running tomorrow. the markup there is anywhere from 3 to 20 times the cost of even buying them one-off from mouser or digi key

i burned like $100 recently on discretes beacuse i was in a situation where i needed all these things NOW. like. within hours before i got on a plane

lmao 64 turn pots & an assortment of audio amps

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i feel bad that i forgot about this thread or i didn't notice it in the list because i missed a lot of posts :(

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
curret stupid project status: holy crap its mid october and I haven't even started putting together my wifes robot costume yet. good thing silver spray paint and boxes are easy to find.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i feel bad that i forgot about this thread or i didn't notice it in the list because i missed a lot of posts :(

this thread falls of the front page often. post moar screenshots

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this thread falls of the front page often. post moar screenshots

i thought those were cardboard boxes

now i want them to be cardboard boxes

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 393 days!

LP0 ON FIRE