Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Khazaria starts out tribal in Charlemagne.

But not Jewish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh btw., NeoAnjou sent me a PM he's going to have to drop out of the list as he'll be busy the next couple of months.

Btw., if the money bin runs dry from the retinues you could always join the dark side of taxation... there's mayors with 4k running around if you can catch them in a plot.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 15, 2014

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
What's with all the non-cavalry in our retinue? Those aren't horses!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KOraithER posted:

What's with all the non-cavalry in our retinue? Those aren't horses!

I blame other people. I built new stables and stuff at our castles. Holding off building anything more in Jeuresalem for SOME REASON. Like I said though, not worrying about re-balancing our retinue until post-war. Since currently half of them are dead anyhow >.>

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Looking at the territorial borders on those maps is making me very upset at a deep subconscious level.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Neruz posted:

Looking at the territorial borders on those maps is making me very upset at a deep subconscious level.

I'll be sure to do something about that if I get another go.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm surprised the patch didn't break the saved game

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm surprised the patch didn't break the saved game

I can't split troops is the only bug I've noticed.

When I finish this war and complete the holy site mandate, the next goal is fixing the god drat borders. I was going to have already started that, but we got Jihaded, so yeah.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Readingaccount posted:

Oooh, you have the customization DLC. Will I get a fancy name & place or some sarcastic barony?
(Sorry about Meletios Park being just Thrake, Superme, otherwise I would've made it a Duchy at least. Though I like to think the people are slowly being forced out to make it private parkland. :))

Eh it's ok. I named the duchy of Baghdad with my name so I suppose it would count or not?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We should reduce the tax base of Thrace though, to simulate reservations in Thrake. :D

So Lawjews, regarding the interplay between 'All roads lead to home' and 'Insertname Delenda Est'...

1) Obviously if there are no roads to an island that needs conquering Insertname comes first, thus making overseas conquest legal.
2) Are Holy Wars for coastal duchies with 'land bridges' to islands not connecting to the capital legal targets of conquest? This occurred in the case of Rhodes and Chios. If no should such islands and potentially disconnected continental holdings be given independence after the wars or should they never be conquered in the first place?
... do rivers count?
3) Overseas territories cannot be conquered unless they have taken land from us. Some loopholes come to mind:
a) changing the Capital to overseas after colonization
b) facilitating another nation's conquest of Israel's land
4) I would assume the expediency of elder laws does not overrule lesser laws. If at all possible should they be upheld to the ideal, or the practical? For example in Israel's current predicament it must ideally conquer its way through northern Italy to reach Byzantium's territories, however more absurd situations may occur that make success functionally close to or actually nil unless a junior law is broken.
Is expediency a valid legal substitute for the impossibility override if it is functionally identical?

PS. Noticed there's three separate instances of a split duchy preventing de jure integration into Israel. Tyana for Anatolia (I should'a checked the map), Lori for Armenia and Pormorye for Perm. Incidentally together with the Aegan Duchy they form a purple cross!

-> Brittany had those castles first.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 16, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In accordance with Tradition, Older supercedes Newer. Insertname Delenda Est is one of the oldest laws on the statute books: The destruction of the nations in question, such as the Rhomaoi, have precedence over needing a land connection to the capital. If you can get a land connection to the capital, all well and good, but Insertname does not require it, and you can point to the older law to excuse the contradiction of the newer, as our ancestors did in the court of the Persian kings.

Should, HaShem forbid, any other nation take a province from us, they need to be Insertnamed. So, did Brittany acquire those baronies before or after the land came under Israeli control?

1, yes.
2, yes. 'Land bridge' is a land connection, just as it was in Moshes' day.
3a, works.
3b, Oy, that you would say such things! For shame! It would work, but would require a great deal of repentance come the day of atonement.
4. Senior supersedes Junior, completely. You could justify emptying the prisons of close relatives by sequentially appointing them to one seat of your council, for example. The junior law does not constrain the senior law: Such was the way of the Medes and Persians, such is our way.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
By the way, I just checked and, uhm... faffing about without a wife or marrying my kids kind of means the two brothers, Emperor and Despot, are all that stand between the Bulanids losing Israel to the Bazan or Tuznuqid (the Emperor's sisters were married off patrilineally before Pelagios became Emperor). :v:

It's not a law that the Bulanids survive, but other than having kids or switching to seniority there's the perhaps much simpler option of assassinating just five... hmmm, the assassin pay button seems to be gone with the latest update. Looking pretty difficult then. And they eliminated the money for banishing too, it's just titles now. On the other side of the scale it appears being over holdings limit no longer upsets vassals.
Also, shields are completely randomized, and the game crashes a LOT.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

There's plenty of Byzantium which DOES have land connections to us that we have to deal with before the Utaly campaigns.

So many random baronies. You monsters.

But yes, oversees conquests are legally permitted PROVIDING it is taking land from someone who has previously taken land from us.

I should really look into banishing a bunch of these jerks. Rather than just throwing all the heathens in the Obliette and letting time do the rest.
Edit: though partly I was doing it for a bit of extra cash. eh, they might as well just rot there then for all I care.

Next update is played.

Readingaccount posted:

Also, shields are completely randomized, and the game crashes a LOT.

This is part of the reason I have autosaving MONTHLY. I don't actually have the Charlamagne DLC. I just get all the crashes.
And yeah, I miss the assassinate button. Maybe you have to plot to do it.
Also, while we couldn't take Brittany's home territories, we can certainly invade them while we remove their baronies on our land.

Edit:

quote:

Honoring Your Ancestors - During your reign you must rename a provence/duchy/kingdom in honor of the players before you. If you do not have the customization DLC, PM Amnistar and he will update the save appropriately and then hand it off to you.
Wait. Player or Players. That S is vitally important and I'm going to have to ponder other territories to rename. And at least skim the other updates for themes.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 16, 2014

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Considering that people have traditionally only renamed a single province/duchy/holding, if I'm not mistaken, you can drop the 's'.

And yes, they removed the assassination diplo-option. Just what any game needs, less control over gameplay.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Veloxyll posted:

Wait. Player or Players. That S is vitally important and I'm going to have to ponder other territories to rename. And at least skim the other updates for themes.

The intent of the rule when made was to allow someone to rename a provence based on ANY historical event the came before them. If you'd like to read that as you have to rename a provence for EACH ruler before you, that is your call.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Ahhh, got it. Honouring the predecessors collectively rather than individually.

Dibs on something in the former Roman empire for Manasseh the Dragon.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Or individually! It depends entirely on your interpretation. There is a reason why the Persian system of laws isn't around anymore :v:

But a player interpreting that law to mean they need to rename a province for every single predecessor is perfectly legitimate.

This is one aspect of the law system I'm not seeing any players really exploit; interpretation of the written laws was a hugely important part of the Persian system and we should be seeing a lot more rulers becoming 'creative' with what words mean.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Or individually! It depends entirely on your interpretation. There is a reason why the Persian system of laws isn't around anymore :v:

But a player interpreting that law to mean they need to rename a province for every single predecessor is perfectly legitimate.

This is one aspect of the law system I'm not seeing any players really exploit; interpretation of the written laws was a hugely important part of the Persian system and we should be seeing a lot more rulers becoming 'creative' with what words mean.

Definately true. There are several different ways the current laws could be read to help, or hurt, the current empire. I'd lvoe to see more updates about people justifying their playstyle basedo n the laws.

I'm also hoping the mongols destroy our nation when they invade.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've never played any of the "Paradox megagames" myself; I prefer to read LPs because they are more interesting. But based on the LPs I have read it does not seem at all unlikely that the Mongols will kick Israel's poo poo in when they turn up.

The Mongols kicking everyone's poo poo in is one of the few common recurring themes in paradox megathreads :v:

Sadly CKII starts well after Atilla happened, fortunately Genghis has that aspect totally covered.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 16, 2014

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

There's also the Timurids that can appear in the late 1300's.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Amnistar posted:

Definately true. There are several different ways the current laws could be read to help, or hurt, the current empire. I'd lvoe to see more updates about people justifying their playstyle basedo n the laws.

quote:

Play as if the game were an ironman game

I forged a new nation in a cave! With a box of scraps!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

There's also the Timurids that can appear in the late 1300's.

Yep, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Also note, Colonization can be done overseas, just not territory gain via conquest. Vassalization -> diploannexing in EUIV will be valid, but until we hit EUIV, taking nations will require us to deal with finding loopholes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Amnistar posted:

Also note, Colonization can be done overseas, just not territory gain via conquest. Vassalization -> diploannexing in EUIV will be valid, but until we hit EUIV, taking nations will require us to deal with finding loopholes.

Offer vassalage to overseas duchies?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Amnistar posted:

Export homosexual bastards. Claim hot pursuit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AJ_Impy posted:

Export homosexual bastards. Claim hot pursuit.

Would only work if the homosexual law was older than the 'must have land connections' law.

Note that you can conquer a place with no land connections for the purposes of claiming a holy site, honoring your ancestors or because it makes a good story (stoy).

Remember guys, Stoy Telling supercedes all laws except the Ironman law; you can break literally any other law so long as you can justify it as being for the purposes of good stoy telling.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah like I didn't try to get a holy site or put any of my family on the council.(The Crusades stopped any chance of getting any holy site while I as the only child that was alive.)

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.
Those darn Timurids completely ruined my Glorious North African Catholic Sultanate.

I'm praying for a large civil war, or anything to fracture the empire and make things more interesting. You're too drat strong!

...also Arpad means vampire in Hebrew :drac:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Settling in - The Jihad and beyond.

Now, where was I. Ah yes, the war. Which, I might add, we're still winning!

Advisors tell me that we command up to 3 times the troops of our enemy. though currently only 2 times due to other commitments and losses
But how to get them to the front? Why, Boats!

Though some of our boat teams are a LITTLE over-eager. still, we quickly assemble the armies of the realm.

My wife is so happy she gives birth to a son!

The enemy engages our Vanguard with a lesser force.

Once it becomes a greater force, the main army is ordered into the fray. This Jihad ends now.

THAT is how we break an army.

Our laws demand that we build more equine based upgrades in our holdings, no matter the cost, circumstances, or tactical sense behind such an action.

Now that we've won, we prepare the ground for our counter-war.

Sadly, my first wife dies of Pneumonia.

Looking through the list of eligible candidates, my eye is instantly drawn to the twin princesses of Persia.

Victory AND a wife. It's good to be Baseilius.

After a bit of shuffling of troops, we launch the counterattack.

It doesn't take long for the enemy to admit we've beaten them.
Again.

Our Sakellarios offers to help out with the new titles.
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I HAD 400 TITLES TO SORT OUT. Fine.

He then goes and messes it all up. MY BORDERS :negative:

Speaking of Borders...

Once that's resolved, it's tournament time.

It's the little things that matter, right.

More cleaning house...

As I put down rebels using the Hungarian Army, the number of troops they command gives me an idea.

Unfortunately, my wife ALSO had ideas. They were not as good.

The law is clear. Bastards cannot be tolerated.

Luckily, the Queen of Persia still has that spare.

No. This would be a bad idea given what we just had to do...

Huh, a few more troops than I expected. No matter. I've got spare levies I can call up.

I also close the loop of our realm.

And get rid of that heretic province nearby too.

I have a second son to my third wife.

Haha, imagine a giant empire from the east using horse warriors to conquer everyone. Truly the realm is blessed. They tell tales of us around the world!

Some of my Vassals decline to celebrate Passover with me this year.

Next year! In Jeurusalem. Also, I may have spent 30,000 of the 35,000 ducats the treasury had when I started my reign.

spoilers - I have been basing a lot of my decisions, at least partially, on the laws.
This is, for instance, part of the reason I haven't been beating up Byzantium as much as I maybe should have.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
That spare wife... :)
Great consolidation, and the dynasty is safe.

The 'sort titles' button doesn't seem to work for that many titles, it seems to invariably cause the game to crash. Aaand apparently the little weasels give a high title to themselves? I guess King of Serbia isn't too ridiculous though, but it's probably the best he had.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 18, 2014

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Oh god...I love the reaction. "What? Someone is uniting all the people on horseback and taking over europe? What the gently caress is wrong with you people, that's us."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If we convert Batu and Hulegu, we can declare this LP as "Mission accomplished".

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We'll probably defeat them in the field unless there's a civil war or Crusade going on, and I suppose they might just storm the holdings needed before our armies traverse a third of the continent's length.
Regardless, I think with enough laws we may eventually start to disintegrate. At the very least, the purges are going to make us unstable. EU4 will bring some relief (and some... difficulties... with 80% cavalry), but the loopholes will keep getting tighter.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 18, 2014

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Readingaccount posted:

We'll probably defeat them in the field unless there's a civil war or Crusade going on, and I suppose they might just storm the holdings needed before our armies traverse a third of the continent's length.
Regardless, I think with enough laws we may eventually start to disintegrate. At the very least, the purges are going to make us unstable. EU4 will bring some relief (and some... difficulties... with 80% cavalry), but the loopholes will keep getting tighter.

HoI would be even more hilarious with 80% cavalry.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
So, apparently with the Zealots restored, there's Ashkenazi on the board. Israel could return to its cultural roots.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ill have to keep an eye out. And write the update, eh, tomorrow I guess. I'll play and post a second one too to make up for my slackness. Spoilers - things happen! And I make questionable decisions!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

And I make questionable decisions!
Those are the best kind.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ioannikios makes the best kind of decisions

Ahh, how quickly everyone forgets generosity. Our nobles appear to have some disagreements with our leadership.

Clearly we need another holy war to remind them how Great Azerbaijan is.

But no, not yet, I want to open up the mountains across our realms. Just think of the borders. Plus they're already getting beaten up by one of our vassals!

Apparently this isn't quite enough to appease everyone.

Victory was inevitable, really.

Though I may have had more than one motive in taking these lands. They grant us enough land to form a new realm.

Though, in honour of my predecessor, I am compelled to give it a new, more fitting, name.

Speaking of cleaning up. Do we REALLY need to feed all these people?

Ooooh, the Byzantines will be mad if we kill them. I'm sooooo scared.

Some of them don't even have that vague inconvenience. Why were we even keeping them alive in the first place?

Some of them are Jewish though, we'll let them live our there days. I'm not a MONSTER, after all.

Ahh, that's much better.

Now lets get back to our proper job. Beating up Byzantium.

One of my advisors was found dead this morning. He was clutching this. I wonder what it means.

Right. Borders!

Daww, he's so grumpy. Like an angry little puppy.

Factionnnssssss. Spymaster, go deal with these grumblers.

More horses! MORE! The laws of our fathers command it.

Our borders extend as far east as they can. Beyond lies only unassailable mountains and barren steppes.

Let it be noted that, on the 1st of October, 1217, I finished spending the moneys in the treasury.

A blight upon the realm is removed.

Oh. It appears that the tales were true. And of a SEPERATE band of horse masters.

110,000 very saddle sore horsemen charge out of the mountains into Samerkand.

Before the armies of the realm can even arrive, they claim title over the KINGDOM of Khiva. And here was me thinking they were just after the duchy. How very rude of them. Scribes! Add them to the LIST.

With luck, they'll swing south, and when we counter-attack, we can hit them hard in their flank.

In order to satiate our nobles, and because our oldest son is more likely to be ready for the throne sooner, I lower crown authority. Only one of these effects will actually work...

In honour of the REST of our predecessors, I rename another title to suit their tastes.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Welp, time to exterminate the Mogols.

Holy poo poo that sounds hosed up.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Welp, time to exterminate the Mogols.

Holy poo poo that sounds hosed up.

It's one of our oldest and best-established laws. :colbert:

Ilkhanate Delenda Est!

Also, now that Hungary no longer exists, we can put a thin line through them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AJ_Impy posted:

It's one of our oldest and best-established laws. :colbert:

Ilkhanate Delenda Est!

Also, now that Hungary no longer exists, we can put a thin line through them as well.

I'm sure me recreating the title will have absolutely no implications on this at all. Then again, there's no Duchy of Crimea any more that I could see, so welp.

• Locked thread