Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

CharlesM posted:

Someone post the GIF of the counterfeit Honda airbag shooting the H logo into your skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IS Al Qaeda in YOUR airbag?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

It's like the boss went on a trip and on his way out the door he yelled over his shoulder, "Don't use the shredder!" loving everything that wasn't bolted down.

I lost it when he gets the roll of loving fiberglass insulation out.

Bet that was fun to breathe, but it made a good video.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How does Seattle of all places not deal properly with rain?

Oh we do. Too bad that 2/3 of Seattle's population is now from out of state and from places where rain doesn't happen often. They drive the same way when its wet, dry or slushy and cause a ton of accidents.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just thought - that's going to /itch/! I winced a few times when they practically have their hands in it.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

I can't find (because I'm drunk) the original post, but whoever said that those guys had plumbing rage was right - the last time that video came up someone mentioned that they were supposed to be installed on sewers to prevent clothing from going down. I think malls use them in case people try to flush their original clothes when shoplifting or something. That's why they did the wet blanket test.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Solar Coaster posted:

Oh we do. Too bad that 2/3 of Seattle's population is now from out of state and from places where rain doesn't happen often. They drive the same way when its wet, dry or slushy and cause a ton of accidents.

I hear this from a lot of natives who are bitter about transplants but population was 515k in 1990 and 650k in 2013. So even if it were entirely people from out of state they've been here long enough to figure things out for themselves. And the flat out worst drivers i have ever met up here were born and raised in town.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vindolanda posted:

I can't find (because I'm drunk) the original post, but whoever said that those guys had plumbing rage was right - the last time that video came up someone mentioned that they were supposed to be installed on sewers to prevent clothing from going down. I think malls use them in case people try to flush their original clothes when shoplifting or something. That's why they did the wet blanket test.

Yes! They're called Muffin Monsters, and I'm familiar with one installed at a jail since inmates think flushing their clothes down the drain to cause flooding is a laugh riot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let's talk about how Seattle loses its collective poo poo every time a snowflake hits the pavement.

I get it, the snow is heavy and wet. And then the temperature drops at night and it freezes. But still. Seattle inhabitants should get used to it after a while. :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I hear this from a lot of natives who are bitter about transplants but population was 515k in 1990 and 650k in 2013. So even if it were entirely people from out of state they've been here long enough to figure things out for themselves. And the flat out worst drivers i have ever met up here were born and raised in town.

My brief (7ish month) stint in Portland and southern Washington convinced me that the Pac NW has the worst drivers I have ever encountered. Especially Portland. Rains every day, but gently caress if they can drive in it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

spog posted:

I like how they are demonstrating that this machine will grab and destroy literally anything and they use it without any guards or safety features at all.

almost expect the last clip to be found footage as they pass themselves through it.

Yeah, does anyone know of any video of like the industrial sized ones where a person falls into it or something? I'm morbidly curious. Also curious to see if you put your hand into that little one from the video how far it'd pull your arm into it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

iwentdoodie posted:

My brief (7ish month) stint in Portland and southern Washington convinced me that the Pac NW has the worst drivers I have ever encountered. Especially Portland. Rains every day, but gently caress if they can drive in it.

This is true. Drop of rain hits a windshield and OH poo poo PANIC BRAKE TO 15 BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT ALSO INEXPLICABLY MOVE TO THE LEFTMOST LANE

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, does anyone know of any video of like the industrial sized ones where a person falls into it or something? I'm morbidly curious. Also curious to see if you put your hand into that little one from the video how far it'd pull your arm into it.

they did that in 30 days of night but he just kinda goes splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3kTUCprv0

in real life you'd probably be ripped apart

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

You need to look at the population of the greater seattle area, not the city itself.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Let's talk about how Seattle loses its collective poo poo every time a snowflake hits the pavement.

I get it, the snow is heavy and wet. And then the temperature drops at night and it freezes. But still. Seattle inhabitants should get used to it after a while. :colbert:

Let's talk about our lack of snow infrastructure and abundance of hills!

We don't have that many plows, sand trucks, etc, and it doesn't snow often enough to warrant spending the money (apparently). Combine unplowed and unsanded roads with lots of hills and this makes pretty treacherous conditions. Now stack people who don't have winter tires and have no idea how to handle low traction situations on top of that, and you get hilarious videos.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MalleusDei posted:

Let's talk about our lack of snow infrastructure and abundance of hills!

We don't have that many plows, sand trucks, etc, and it doesn't snow often enough to warrant spending the money (apparently). Combine unplowed and unsanded roads with lots of hills and this makes pretty treacherous conditions. Now stack people who don't have winter tires and have no idea how to handle low traction situations on top of that, and you get hilarious videos.

Honestly, it's not just the PNW. Anywhere that it snows people lose their god damned mind. It's because a solid 75%+ of the population doesn't know how to drive because getting a license is too loving easy in this country. That combined with every dipshit on the road talking on the phone and welp, morons everywhere.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Really, its everyone. Ask anyone and they will say "everyone else is bad in the snow, Im awesome because I am 4wd/from FortPortofPrince where it snows 18 ft a day/saw a snow once". No one will say oh man, I am a terrible snow driver. And if they did, they would stay home when it snowed. So, if everyone else but you is bad in the snow, how did you get stuck in the ditch?

Or, Im wrong, and Its one guy who is bad at driving and screws it up. Maybe its me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blindjoe posted:

Really, its everyone. Ask anyone and they will say "everyone else is bad in the snow, Im awesome because I am 4wd/from FortPortofPrince where it snows 18 ft a day/saw a snow once". No one will say oh man, I am a terrible snow driver. And if they did, they would stay home when it snowed. So, if everyone else but you is bad in the snow, how did you get stuck in the ditch?

Or, Im wrong, and Its one guy who is bad at driving and screws it up. Maybe its me.

Or maybe we live in a universe where the real answer is almost always somewhere in the middle and it's possible for some people to be good snow drivers while most of them are terrible. Just like some people are good non-snow drivers but most people are terrible.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The most fun and most useful part of taking my driver's license here in the frozen wastelands Scandinavia was the ice driving exercises.

You drive on a 2-300m long stretch of track that has some sort of rubbery coating and gets constantly soaked with water which makes it almost as slippery as ice. You have to practice braking and evasion with limited grip, and how to get control back when you lose grip. Of course you're bound to gently caress it up the first couple of times and just spin out, which is fun in itself when there's no risk to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I cut my teeth driving in powdery Alaska snow, so I am definitely a pro at driving in slippery conditions. It's a club and everything, we get tattoos so we can identify each other!

We're called the "selohssa gnikcuf" which I'm pretty sure is Athabascan or something.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Do you get a special menu at taco bell?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Easy test to determine if you are ready to drive through the winter in a state that regularly sees snow/ice on the road.

Do you have winter tires on your car? No? Then you are not operating your vehicle with the care and caution that it is due, it is not properly equipped for the conditions, and you are probably a terrible driver.

Some terrible drivers will have snow tires, but they really should be mandatory and only about 5% of the population here (in a state that has 6 months of brutal winter) has them.

Collateral Damage posted:

The most fun and most useful part of taking my driver's license here in the frozen wastelands Scandinavia was the ice driving exercises.

You drive on a 2-300m long stretch of track that has some sort of rubbery coating and gets constantly soaked with water which makes it almost as slippery as ice. You have to practice braking and evasion with limited grip, and how to get control back when you lose grip. Of course you're bound to gently caress it up the first couple of times and just spin out, which is fun in itself when there's no risk to it.

This sounds loving awesome as all hell.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I really wish we had a Scandinavian style driving school here in the US. Watching James May get schooled by BASIC drivers was definitely eye opening, as he's got much more experience than I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Memento posted:

Speaking of airbags, that Takata recall has already turned very nasty :(

My engineering manager who has just been here for a year came from Takata... I should see what he has to say about this. He's pretty sharp so it wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't fix whatever systemic problems caused this, and jumped ship.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Easy test to determine if you are ready to drive through the winter in a state that regularly sees snow/ice on the road.

Do you have winter tires on your car? No? Then you are not operating your vehicle with the care and caution that it is due, it is not properly equipped for the conditions, and you are probably a terrible driver.

Some terrible drivers will have snow tires, but they really should be mandatory and only about 5% of the population here (in a state that has 6 months of brutal winter) has them.

This sounds loving awesome as all hell.

It's kind of weird to be this far into October and still running my summer wheels. It is supposed to be near 80 for Halloween.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

I remember having so much fun doing that. I was in a rwd 3-series instructor car which helped

Your really learn to respect ESP and especially ABS there though. We did a few runs where a foam moose would appear at a random spot right in front and you had to avoid it. Getting around it with only ABS was possible with some counter-steer, but all concepts of threshold or brake pumping goes out the window when the moose is RIGHT THERE. I'm not sure i would have done much better now with more experience to be honest.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Huggable Bear King posted:

This shredder is less cool but the video is all murdered out so it's worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY11NZsCh0w
I can't be the only one who cringed repeatedly as the guy brought his hand within inches of the shredder.

The Midniter posted:

They're used pretty frequently to shred dead diseased livestock to make incineration easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIkHKA9nh-Q

If you Google "cow shredder" there are videos of whole cows being thrown in (they're dead, if you get the version with the mooing it's an old 4chan troll)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

veedubfreak posted:

It's kind of weird to be this far into October and still running my summer wheels. It is supposed to be near 80 for Halloween.

I know here in Western PA, I usually don't think of swapping things out until around Thanksgiving. We did get a couple of snowflakes last year in late October, but it's not really any serious cause for alarm because the ground was still too warm.

All-seasons are going on the BRZ and Winters on the WRX. So, I'll probably swap out the BRZ wheels first in late November and hold off on the WRX wheels until well into December unless we see some sort of early storm.

Never got around to swapping the winters on last year, I just swapped the summers out for all-seasons. The conditions never really warranted winter tires.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
When we had 'Snowmagedon' in Atlanta, I was happily driving around the Atlanta area in my 1986 Audi Quattro without difficulty, and on cheap all weather tires.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I lived up there in the late 80s/early 90s and people were all :derp: about all the drat Californians moving in. Seattle only recently officially became where we send people who can't hack it here :smug:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

xzzy posted:

I cut my teeth driving in powdery Alaska snow, so I am definitely a pro at driving in slippery conditions. It's a club and everything, we get tattoos so we can identify each other!

We're called the "selohssa gnikcuf" which I'm pretty sure is Athabascan or something.

I did the same, driving since I was 12, and a FE RWD vehicle with no studs is, while not necessarily child's play to me, not the horrifying experience everyone up here makes it out to be. Meanwhile, first snowfall of the season, and the Glenn Highway turns into a Mad Max Christmas special.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Das Volk posted:

I lived up there in the late 80s/early 90s and people were all :derp: about all the drat Californians moving in. Seattle only recently officially became where we send people who can't hack it here :smug:
Yeah, we've only half filled portland.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

nm posted:

Yeah, we've only half filled portland.

also, Bend

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SyHopeful posted:

also, Bend

Californians moved to Bend?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Midniter posted:

I know there are videos of a cow shredder but you're gonna have to go find them yourself.

Efb.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 23, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

More of a mechanical success from the point of the view of the gate

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

freelop posted:

What's going on there?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

wipeout posted:

What's going on there?

Darwin.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

freelop posted:

The first few times I watched that gif, I was so engrossed by trying to figure out just what in the gently caress was going on, and only ending up baffled, that I didn't even realize he managed to flip the car over until I saw the video. I still have no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
What is even happening in this video? Is it two half naked men fighting each other with a car and a gate?