Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I'm a fat man with very huge thighs and have a hell of a time finding any legwear that fits me. Even sizes like 8XL are too small around my thighs (and way too wide at my hips but I can deal with that).

Can anyone recommend suppliers that I be able to purchase such huge hiking clothes from? I am most interested in pants, ideally bib style that reach up above the waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

EssOEss posted:

I'm a fat man with very huge thighs and have a hell of a time finding any legwear that fits me. Even sizes like 8XL are too small around my thighs (and way too wide at my hips but I can deal with that).

Can anyone recommend suppliers that I be able to purchase such huge hiking clothes from? I am most interested in pants, ideally bib style that reach up above the waist.

Find a seamstress and take them a pair of pants you like and see if they can replicate something close?

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Does anyone know if rock climbing shoes are suitable for hiking? Someone I know bought a pair and was hoping they could be used for both. They have especially hard/flat soles, not sure if that'd be a problem

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Telesphorus posted:

Does anyone know if rock climbing shoes are suitable for hiking? Someone I know bought a pair and was hoping they could be used for both. They have especially hard/flat soles, not sure if that'd be a problem

Those are not really designed for walking any distance in, but hey people hike in flip flops so...

I wouldn't recommend it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any shoe that's designed and sized for climbing will be horrible for walking.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Approach shoes, yes, but not pure rock climbing shoes...

Approach shoes can be handy if you do a lot of scrambling since they have that sticky rubber on the bottom but fit more like a regular shoe/hiking shoe. Probably not good for actual rock climbing though

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I picked up some Evo Ascents, thanks MPowers. I'm pretty light, they should suffice. Also have some Asolo TPS 520 GVs on the way. Here's a little of what I got up to this weekend: I passed on Glacier for the first time in forever and explored the Pintler Range, pretty cool. I also planned a trip up Mt Hood next summer, might do Idaho's Borah Peak as a warmup. I'm not a state highpointer, they just seem cool. This winter I'll test out those snowshoes in Glacier for sure.

The Pintlers from 10,432ft up, 4,000ft elevation gain over 6 miles, not bad for doing not much the last few months. Today went up to the top of a small range, 1,300ft ele gain over .5 miles. That was tough.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Quick! Someone make it winter and hike the Whites with me. I'm too chicken or reasonably practical to hike solo in the Winter.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Knocked out a couple peaks on the Boulder Range. Snow here is scarce.

Smoove J posted:

I also planned a trip up Mt Hood next summer, might do Idaho's Borah Peak as a warmup. I'm not a state highpointer, they just seem cool. This winter I'll test out those snowshoes in Glacier for sure.

The Pintlers from 10,432ft up, 4,000ft elevation gain over 6 miles, not bad for doing not much the last few months. Today went up to the top of a small range, 1,300ft ele gain over .5 miles. That was tough.

Ah c'mon, you know you want to do something fun, like Castle Peak

or The Fin

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

A Kpro posted:

or The Fin

I want to do all the mountains.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm always surprised at how summiting heavy this thread is. Just never something I was into

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Next year I'll try to fill the thread with nice little mountains and streams from the Northeast. I envy you your glacial summits out west, but drat it, we do what we can with what we have!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Levitate posted:

I'm always surprised at how summiting heavy this thread is. Just never something I was into

I've always thought of hiking and summiting as the same thing. I grew up with a fair amount of wooded land to walk through, so if there's no mountain involved, I just think of it as walking in the woods. If there is a mountain involved, might as well get to the highest point on it. You pretty much have to summit in NH to get views, unless there happens to be a small outcropping, and even then a number of 4000'ers have wooded summits.

What do you do for hiking if not summiting? Generally curious since I know out west it is a different beast.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr. Powers posted:

I've always thought of hiking and summiting as the same thing. I grew up with a fair amount of wooded land to walk through, so if there's no mountain involved, I just think of it as walking in the woods. If there is a mountain involved, might as well get to the highest point on it. You pretty much have to summit in NH to get views, unless there happens to be a small outcropping, and even then a number of 4000'ers have wooded summits.

What do you do for hiking if not summiting? Generally curious since I know out west it is a different beast.

Where I grew up and did a lot of hiking/backpacking we generally hopped lake to lake and fished, things like that. I'm certainly not criticizing anyone and the way they enjoy to hike, it's just different than what I always did :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

In a lot of mountainous areas people hike/trek around summits instead of going for them. I know that's what a lot of hiking is about in the french alps, for example.
e: and yeah I'm not arguing one is harder/better than the other. Different strokes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mr. Powers posted:

When I hike out west, there are spectacular views everywhere so summiting isn't necessary. I usually don't take time to do side treks up to peaks, for some reason I like to put down more miles and see more that way. When hiking in the midwest, however, getting the top is often your only chance for a view. Not sure walking to the top of a small hill counts as "summting" though.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I'll generally take a summit over walk. I've been on some beautiful walks, but they've never tested my limits the way climbing a mountain has, and that's what keeps me coming back.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I am starting to get into hiking and went by my local outdoor shop looking for hiking shoes. I intend to do day hiking (and perhaps a very limited amount of backpacking) and was recommended the Oboz Sawtooth as a good entry level shoe for my intended uses.

Any thoughts on the appropriateness of these shoes for my intended uses? Also, is there something much better for the price point (I managed to get them for about $105 after a discount).

Second question - I am looking for a sleeping pad (price range has an upper bound of $50) but am unsure of whether I should buy the Therma-Rest Trail Scout or the Fox Outfitters Ultralight. I am looking for something that can be used when it is 30 degrees F out. Any thoughts?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A Kpro posted:

Knocked out a couple peaks on the Boulder Range. Snow here is scarce.

or The Fin

You have a link to "the fin" that looks pretty kickass

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've done both. Scenic overlooks are incredible but I've never had a view the same as a summit. Not that hiking or summiting is better than the other but they offer different things. I do find myself to enjoy some scrambling as long as its not crapping-my-pants-i-should-be-harnessed-up type of scrambling.

On a separate note,
I spent the last 5 days or so in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Ottawa National Forest) camping/bird hunting. I drove up from Chicago after work and saw about 40 deer between Crivitz WI and Crystal Falls MI. I was the only car I saw for 2 solid hours between 11pm-1am before I got into camp.

I apologize for the terrible camera phone pics because the lighting was crazy difficult to get anything that wasn't blown out or super dark. I also chose to leave my dslr at home this weekend.

I saw very few grouse all weekend, maybe 6 total and they were all individual birds and I went home empty, and without ever even firing a shot. Temps were around 50 during the day, 28 at night. Rained on Friday so it was cold and gross. It snowed on Saturday which was a little surreal. The woods were completely silent. I hiked along the North Country trail for a while which was interesting. I wouldn't mind spending a weekend just backpacking that.

I two-tracked out to the Baraga plains and saw a ton of wolf tracks. One set was a massive male, a mid sized dog, and a young pup. We ended up seeing prints all weekend, all around the area.

You can't really tell but my hand print is to the right. This track was bigger than my entire palm of my hand which is about 6" in diameter.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where are the Baraga plains, west of Baraga/l'anse?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Where are the Baraga plains, west of Baraga/l'anse?

4 miles north west of Covington.

From Covington head west on 28.

Turn north (right) on Baraga/Plains road. Turn west (left) on Gorge cutoff to get into the plains. Two tracks are all over the place and its a big open expanse. Verizon cell service has improved up there pretty dramatically. Down at the campground I still get spotty service but up out of the gorge I get 3g/4g.

I was pretty surprised to see how well gps/google has mapped the forest service roads. Turn by turn navigation on my phone worked through all the two tracks and plains which was a little weird.

"Turn left at gorge cutoff road"

Oh you mean this set of tracks that happens to cross my path? Ok.

Overall its a really cool area. I wish I had a spotting scope or a nice set of binoculars during sunrise/sunset. You could probably see wolves, bear, and deer traveling through there fairly regularly.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...f61614ea6c80371

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

In Western Washington, it's common to hike to a dramatic mountain pass, an alpine lake or a ridge above the treeline. The Cascades are so rugged that you don't need to be at the top of a mountain to get spectacular views and reaching the summit often requires actual mountaineering skills. Of course, there are also plenty of (relatively) easy trails to current and former fire lookout sites. That's usually the best way to go if you want to stand on top of a summit in the Cascades.

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
Speaking of Cascade views and not reaching the top, here's what I saw on the trail up to Kendall Katwalk yesterday. I didn't reach the Katwalk because I was prepped for a shorter hike that turned out to be closed down for a search and rescue operation.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

You have a link to "the fin" that looks pretty kickass

http://www.summitpost.org/peak-11887-the-fin/259098

It was a fun climb, nothing too technical. Also a chance to do some fishing at the lakes that sit at the base.

If you're into crazy ridgeline peaks, Brocky Peak is another step up. Haven't done it yet and I'm not sure I'll give it a legitimate shot next year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

In my area at least, summitting is hikes for fit people and non-summits are for old/weak/fat/lazy people. Although lately I'm just lucky to go anywhere at all, so I take whatever I can.

But here, we have awesome peaks that are easy to access and really dramatic, so it's hard not to go for it. Here's the view from a few of my personal favourites:

Mt. Tyrwhitt

Cirque Peak

Mt. Burgess

Mt. Edith

Mt. Carthew

All but the last one are day trips from my house in Calgary. Carthew is on the US border in Waterton/Glacier, so it's a 6 hour round trip drive. But seriously, with options like these, summits are mandatory.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

In my area at least, summitting is hikes for fit people and non-summits are for old/weak/fat/lazy people.

How about people afraid of heights? :crossarms:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Internet Explorer posted:

How about people afraid of heights? :crossarms:

Don't look down; look across ;)

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

As if trash on trails isn't bad enough, now we get this nonsense.

I've visited the 5 parks in southern Utah a number of times and have been blown away every time. I can't believe someone would think defacing these parks with their art was a good idea.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TouchyMcFeely posted:

As if trash on trails isn't bad enough, now we get this nonsense.

I've visited the 5 parks in southern Utah a number of times and have been blown away every time. I can't believe someone would think defacing these parks with their art was a good idea.
That's just infuriating.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

at least she's probably about to be hit with a very large fine and jailtime (I don't know what felony vandalism usually brings but hey)

People can be pretty self centered

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I can say, with only minimal hyperbole, that I would support life imprisonment without parole in this case. Since that won't happen, is it possible for someone to get banned for life from all federal parks and forests?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
She's hot, white, and likely wealthy. Nothing will happen.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
"nature is gay"

"IT’S ART NOT VANDALISM, I AM AN ARTIST"

"if banksy did it u’d have a hardon"

"New Plans

"I think I am going to start painting gravestones next for a little less controversy."

These are all taken directly from her blog. I hate this girl. I sort of wish she had been painting the inside of a bear den instead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mastershakeman posted:

She's hot, white, and likely wealthy. Nothing will happen.

Nah something will happen it just won't match our outrage.

e: she's a lovely artist too. I can say that because I"m mad about what she did :colbert:

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 23, 2014

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread: nature is gay

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

"nature is gay"

"IT’S ART NOT VANDALISM, I AM AN ARTIST"

"if banksy did it u’d have a hardon"

"New Plans

"I think I am going to start painting gravestones next for a little less controversy."

These are all taken directly from her blog. I hate this girl. I sort of wish she had been painting the inside of a bear den instead.

It looks like someone either hacked it or snatched the URL after she deleted it. I really doubt that's her.

Also,

Smoove J posted:

Hiking & Backpacking Megathread: nature is gay

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Gay for bears.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Anyone do winter camping with their dog and have a good coat for them to sleep in? It doesn't get super cold around here but I still think dropping down below freezing would require my dog to have some kind of insulation...Ruffwear has an insulated jacket but it doesn't have great coverage and seems to be more useful for during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Can you just give your dog an old sleeping bag?