Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Grendels Dad posted:

Me too, I loved Wrath especially. It helped that him and Mortis and Glacier seemed to exist in their own separate universe apart from the rest of WCW... because when they eventually crossed over Wrath was instantly squashed by Nash for no good reason, and that was that.

That's because Nash needed to look like a monster-killer leading up to ending Goldberg's streak. So he ended the small streak Wrath had been on for the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Glacier was another example of WCW dropping the ball. His character was developed to take advantage of the popularity of Mortal Kombat, which peaked around the time of the 1995 movie. But by the time he debuted, the movie had been and gone and the hype had died down.
Also, his costume reportedly cost $35,000 to produce and his extravagant entrance, complete with blue lasers and fake snow was reportedly hideously expensive.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

1st AD posted:

World Karate Champion AND karate trainer of UFC Hall of Famer Mark "The Hammer" Coleman.

Also he had this theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObCu4j4ax0

Um that's three time world karate champion, AND the guy who was Garrett Bischoff's karate instructor when he was a kid AND innovator of Cat-Bo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkUUjhQSqE

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ayn rand hand job posted:

He keeps feuding with Mortis and then Wrath for loving ever.

Yeah they beat the poo poo out of him for like 3 months straight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, the Gambler was just the sleaziest looking motherfucker short of Jimmy Del Ray. Dude looked like he belonged on the sex offender registry. All of them.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Say Nothing posted:

Glacier was another example of WCW dropping the ball. His character was developed to take advantage of the popularity of Mortal Kombat, which peaked around the time of the 1995 movie. But by the time he debuted, the movie had been and gone and the hype had died down.
Also, his costume reportedly cost $35,000 to produce and his extravagant entrance, complete with blue lasers and fake snow was reportedly hideously expensive.

I've never understood how his costume cost so much drat money. Cosplayers are hobbyists and do equal/ better work with some foam and an airbrush.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I've never understood how his costume cost so much drat money. Cosplayers are hobbyists and do equal/ better work with some foam and an airbrush.

Either:

"Sure thing, I can make up that costume for you, it'll be... hang on, where did you say you were from again? WCW? ....thirty five grand."

Or:

Wrestler: "Sure thing I can get my wife/sister/mother to make it for you."
Bischoff: "OK here's a blank cheque go nuts"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Either:

"Sure thing, I can make up that costume for you, it'll be... hang on, where did you say you were from again? WCW? ....thirty five grand."

They hired this studio, who did the costumes for Wrath, Mortis, Wildcat Willie, Cris Danials (sic), Seven, and Kiss Demon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They hired this studio, who did the costumes for Wrath, Mortis, Wildcat Willie, Cris Danials (sic), Seven, and Kiss Demon.

And some slightly more recent work for our own King of Kings.

edit: rehosted image to not leech off them

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
'96 Update:

Nitro Episode 54 is hilarious. The roster is mainly away in Japan except for Macho Man, and I'm guessing he doesn't watch the show because the previous week the NWO talk about how they can't wait to attack him. Macho Man has heard rumours they might attack though and thinks he can take them all on despite history proving him staggeringly incorrect, so he wrestles anyway.

The whole attacking Macho thing is boring, but having the NWO run roughshod over the production was a lot of fun. Also, we get the first introduction to VINCENT. To very little fanfare. There's some priceless quotes when Jim Powers shows up to wrestle ("He's all juiced up and ready to go"). At the end Scott Hall asks Giant if Andre was really his dad, to the laughter of everyone. If they ended on a freezeframe it would've been the best thing ever.

Yes the rot sets in soon enough, but they're having so much fun it's hard to hate them.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Memento posted:

Bischoff then counters with an offer of $40,000.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ChampRamp posted:

To Kevin "Big Depeche Mode Fan" (The Best Ever) Nash's credit, I believe he sold some of Wrath's offense in a tag match in late '97.

Wrath, I have one question for you: what, my son, is the Riddle of Steel?!

*frantically tries not to corpse, ignores a bewildered Scott Hall

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Regarding Glacier... I am currently under the weather, but I recall at one time he sold Kaz Hayashi his gear. Another time, Norman Smiley was his biggest fan hyping up a return, and then he would come out and pose and wave to fans while Smiley was beaten up and screamed for help...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Everything involving Norman Smiley ruled.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

While Larry Zbyszko went on about he was the master of the hard and soft styles

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

DeathChicken posted:

While Larry Zbyszko went on about he was the master of the hard and soft styles

I was unaware there were multiple styles of The Game of Human Chess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking at Glacier's match history is a trip down memory lane of WCW jobbers both remembered (Hardbody Harrison, High Voltage, Buddy Lee Parker) and completely unknown to me (THE GAMBLER, Mike Winner, Ace Darling). Also he had exactly one match as Buzz Stern, apparently.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking at Glacier's match history is a trip down memory lane of WCW jobbers both remembered (Hardbody Harrison, High Voltage, Buddy Lee Parker) and completely unknown to me (THE GAMBLER, Mike Winner, Ace Darling). Also he had exactly one match as Buzz Stern, apparently.

The Gambler was great. Hardbody was convicted of holding women in slavery. That is Buck Zumhofe levels of human garbage-ry.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was watching some old AWA and was like "huh, I wonder what Buck is up to these days.... :staredog:"

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Edge & Christian posted:

High Voltage was my jam when I was young. I couldn't tell you a single move they did, but I thought they looked so cool. My #3 WCW guys behind DDP and Mortis for sure.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I only remember their theme song. "DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE! BZZZZZZZZZZZ!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update:

The NWO had a party that we were treated to scenes from. You wonder what kind of debauchery they might get up to, but then it's revealed that Hogan's son is there, so it all seems a bit lame. Hogan insists on calling him Nasty Nick, though I don't think he realised then how right he was. Waltman bails on the party early, sensing that it's pretty lame, and because he's not allowed to smoke in front of Hogan's kid. The Nasty Boys are there too, though they don't realise they're likely being set up for something. One of the nasty boys do an impression of Bischoff by copying the Ace Ventura 'Talking from the rear end' scene. I wish I screencapped Hall's face because he finds no humour in it.

Kevin Nash continues to show he's the coolest member of the NWO by dropping in a Warren Zevon reference.

Elizabeth shows up to do a deal so they'd leave Randy alone. Giant boasts he's already done two movies, one of which is with Arnie. Randy shows up to scream at Elizabeth. Knowing their history it's a little too close to home.

Also, some wrestling happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

laz0rbeak posted:

The Gambler was great. Hardbody was convicted of holding women in slavery. That is Buck Zumhofe levels of human garbage-ry.
He also appeared on a "Wrestlers vs. Firefighters" Toughman thing where he won two fights by one-punch knockout.

LordPants posted:

I was watching some old AWA and was like "huh, I wonder what Buck is up to these days.... :staredog:"
I remember in the Questions thread someone showed up to ask "Hey there was this territory wrestler my dad and I talked to years ago, seemed really cool, whatever happened to him?" I looked him up and it appeared he did prison time for molesting his daughter.

The sick thing is that there are enough of these guys in wrestling that I can't remember who.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Giant boasts he's already done two movies, one of which is with Arnie.

This was Jingle All The Way

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

You mean The holiday classic Jingle all the Way?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean The holiday classic Jingle all the Way?

A goddamn great Christmas flick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

oatgan posted:

Hogan boasts he's about to do the 3 Ninjas movie, so technically Giant comes off better in this deal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

Hogan boasts he's about to do the 3 Ninjas movie, so technically Giant comes off better in this deal.

They'll even the score in McInsey's Island, which also has a Giant cameo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hogan's got nothing on Captain Insano!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Couple more things: Halloween Havoc was on at 4.30, which seems a really early time for a PPV. Also, I have no idea if this is intentional or not, but the last few weeks in Nitro Bischoff has been wearing a lot more black, and in the last episode he was in his familiar black leather jacket.

Glacier is continuing his wins, and is spending far too long in the ring celebrating afterwards.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oatgan posted:

And the other one had MC Hammer in it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117457/

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Did WCW use a smaller ring?

It looks so small, even with cruiserweights in it.

Annnnnd Mean Gene just gave a blatantly racist interview with Juventude. And of course Juve had to mention the NWO.

"All the people in Mexico is a scared of Nwo."

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 25, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
WCW's rings were 18x18 feet. Mcmahon prefers the larger 20x20 and with actual ropes instead of wrapped steel cables.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Annnnnd Mean Gene just gave a blatantly racist interview with Juventude. And of course Juve had to mention the NWO.

"All the people in Mexico is a scared of Nwo."

Is that the 'you don't have to talk to me in Mexican' interview featured in this thing

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Did WCW use a smaller ring?

Yes, but more precisely WWE uses a bigger ring than most companies.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WWE uses a 20-foot steel frame ring with plywood floor, WCW used an 18-foot 100% plywood ring. WWE using ropes instead of cables means they're looser so it's harder to keep balance for aerial moves. WCW, ECW, and TNA all used an 18-foot ring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update: Halloween Havoc is over. NWO do well out of it, of course.

The cruiserweight stuff aside (There's a killer match between Malenko and Rey that opens the show) it's a largely uninvolving show. Surprisingly, Jarret and Giant have a decent match.

This is also the debut of Hogan and his hilarious hair (Heenan accuses him of using half a gallon of Rogaine). Also funny is that he namechecks both his new 3 Ninjas movie and Santa with Muscles and acts like they're both about to be box office killers.

Hmmm, Santa With Muscles. I bet there was a lot of hype around it...

quote:

"{At the American Film Market 97} only two movies with wrestlers were screened ... The other was Hogan's Santa With Muscles whose first screening attracted all of seven people and whose second screening attracted zero."
- Dave Meltzer, Wrestling Observer (March 17, 1997)

Oh.

Hogan continues to be the biggest gulf between actual and perceived talent that was ever in wrestling. I will give him this: He's great as a heel, probably because it's closer to his natural character.

Surprisingly, Heenan and Tony seem to get on alright during this show. Heenan makes a couple of jokes that Tony genuinely chuckles at. It's good to have one show where they're not hating on one another.

Also, where's Mean Gene? He's not been mentioned, except Nick Patrick has alluded to the fact that he got his suspended for making allegations about him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

Also, where's Mean Gene? He's not been mentioned, except Nick Patrick has alluded to the fact that he got his suspended for making allegations about him.

Getting drunk and making up poo poo for the WCW Hotline for $1.50/minute.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd love to hear how many people reading this thread actually called that hotline when they were younger. Why they called, what Mean Gene told them, etc. Especially if it was one of those incidents where their parents lost their poo poo weeks later when the phone bill came in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Getting drunk and making up poo poo for the WCW Hotline for $1.50/minute.

Well you know this is right. I'm assuming it was an angle from Saturday Night or something. But Mike Tenay is taking over his role for now and presumably has been told to smile a lot and it's offputting.

Also, I can't help but laugh at the website wcwwrestling.com. Did wcw.com already exist?