Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aleph Null posted:

Tiggum, you must absolutely hate Alpha Protocol. It is literally impossible to see "everything" in a single playthrough.
From what I've heard, that's more like there are alternate ways to go through the game, not just bits of the game that you skip? That sounds fine to me. But I did try playing that game and didn't like it at all, because the actual gameplay seemed kind of poo poo and also I think the way dialogue was handled was terrible. I may be thinking of something else, but as I recall you kind of have to choose your response before the person you're talking to finishes speaking because as soon as they're done it locks your choice in? That is just the worst.

It seemed like it would be fine if you wanted to choose the arsehole option every time, because that was pretty obvious, but if you want to do anything else you're pretty much guaranteed to gently caress it up and pick the wrong thing a lot because you get no time to think and react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

scarycave posted:

Smash Run in general feels pretty rushed imo. No difficulty settings, match options, or really anything else besides music.

One map that has no Nintendo themed areas and crammed full of tedious enemies that mean you'll never run into another player.

Who What Now posted:

I can't say that it's something everyone will/would experience, but in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, there is a new special currency that replaces Irridium called Moonstones. The good thing is that they are much more common now, and used for a lot more stuff, but a few hours ago, just before I was about to finally return to the hub town my total drops from 67 to 10 for no reason.

I was gonna buy so many backpack and ammo upgrades! But despite all my complaints I just can't put it down. drat you, Gearbox! :argh:

The existence of Borderlands as a popular franchise vexes me to no end.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Oct 24, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Anatharon posted:

One map that has no Nintendo themed areas and crammed full of tedious enemies that mean you'll never run into another player.

Uh, you realise the other players aren't even on the same map as you, right? It's all individual versions of the same map that each character runs through for 5 minutes before the 1 minute challenge at the end.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I liked Bully's approach of making the collectibles visible on the map by doing a certain activity. And since that activity was Geography class it was educational too. Can you point out Chad on a globe? Well, I can now.

That was added to the scholarship edition. I still enjoyed finding the collectables without them on the map in the original PS2 game.

The world wasn't huge and the missions sent you all over it so it took a reasonable amount of extra effort to locate them. For something like GTA IV the only reasonable way to find them all would be with a gamefaqs map and that's way too much tedious work for me.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tiggum posted:

From what I've heard, that's more like there are alternate ways to go through the game, not just bits of the game that you skip? That sounds fine to me. But I did try playing that game and didn't like it at all, because the actual gameplay seemed kind of poo poo and also I think the way dialogue was handled was terrible. I may be thinking of something else, but as I recall you kind of have to choose your response before the person you're talking to finishes speaking because as soon as they're done it locks your choice in? That is just the worst.

It seemed like it would be fine if you wanted to choose the arsehole option every time, because that was pretty obvious, but if you want to do anything else you're pretty much guaranteed to gently caress it up and pick the wrong thing a lot because you get no time to think and react.

It gives you a little time once they finish speaking, but it's not like Mass Effect where you can wait around as long as you want to make a decision. It makes the conversation "battles" far more intense, puts pressure on the player to make a choice quickly, and the conversation comes off far more natural and real. In real life, people don't pause for 15 seconds of silence to decide how they're going to respond to something the other person said.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SpookyLizard posted:

I can live without the gaming telling me where everything is, if I get tired of searching I can go look up an image on gamefaqs or the thread for that game on these very forums.

The issue with wanting things to be listed like that in-game is that it spoils poo poo for the rest of us who don't want to just follow the map to find poo poo. Sure, in some games you can adjust the filter of the mini-map to make that poo poo go away and stop cluttering up my map, BUT that poo poo tends to get reset every time you load up the game or on some other conditions in the same playthrough. The AssCreed maps get so loving colored, especially with their monotone UI.

Exploration is fun for it's own sake, and if people wanna bitch out over it, they can spend two minutes on google to look it up. If that poo poo must be in a game, in should be disabled by default and hidden away. AssCreeIV has a whole button dedicated to that poo poo, and a pop that frequently shows telling me how many of what I have in a given location and it just makes me apathetic to finishing it because it no longer feels like exploration and collecting and more like a continually nagging that I haven't acquired 100% yet.

"But I have to check gamefaqs!" is the laziest loving whine, btw.

Looking down on people complaining about not wanting to go to a third-party site for collectible info while also complaining about how much of a hassle it is to turn off the collectible visibility options in game is pretty lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anatharon posted:

The existence of Borderlands as a popular franchise vexes me to no end.

It gets adapting the appealof Diablo into another genre right, at the expense of not really getting anything else right.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tiggum posted:

What that means is that in order to get to actually play all of the game, to not miss any quests, you pretty much have to try talking to every non-hostile NPC.

so whats the problem

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

so whats the problem

well literally his next sentence was

Tiggum posted:

And most of them have nothing of value to say.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pidmon posted:

Uh, you realise the other players aren't even on the same map as you, right? It's all individual versions of the same map that each character runs through for 5 minutes before the 1 minute challenge at the end.

I suspected that, but wasn't certain. That is probably the dumbest thing about the whole ridiculously stupid affair that is Smash Run.

Like "Oh Sonic got 1k speed. That's cool. I guess I'll just hope it isn't a race then."

Also where is Snake seriously

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

well literally his next sentence was

lol true but my point is that i usually talk to everyone anyway in games like that even if they dont have anything of "value" to say some of the dialogue can still be interesting and talking to them usually takes no time whatsoever

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Sleepy Owl posted:

lol true but
I

Sleepy Owl posted:

my point is that i
used

Sleepy Owl posted:

usually talk to everyone anyway
to

Sleepy Owl posted:

in games like that even if they
be

Sleepy Owl posted:

dont have anything of "value" to say
an

Sleepy Owl posted:

some of the dialogue can still be interesting
adventurer

Sleepy Owl posted:

and talking to them

Sleepy Owl posted:

usually takes no time whatsoever
you

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

talking to those people usually takes no time whatsoever, since you can go on your way before they finish talking

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

talking to those people usually takes no time whatsoever, since you can go on your way before they finish talking

I too love busywork in the thing I do expressly to have fun.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

I too love busywork in the thing I do expressly to have fun.

if you consider that busywork i guess

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's just a painful reminder of reality.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gohuskies posted:

It gives you a little time once they finish speaking, but it's not like Mass Effect where you can wait around as long as you want to make a decision. It makes the conversation "battles" far more intense, puts pressure on the player to make a choice quickly, and the conversation comes off far more natural and real. In real life, people don't pause for 15 seconds of silence to decide how they're going to respond to something the other person said.
In real life you don't have to pick your response from a list, you just say what you're thinking. It's really not comparable.

Sleepy Owl posted:

if you consider that busywork i guess
We do. It is.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i get the impression that given a game that lets you set your own markers for fast travel you'd use it just to get from one side of a town to another

edit: a small town

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate:
- the game has an auto-save system, but in the Story Mode it only saves after you return from the map. It also doesn't auto-save an unlocked map. So if you, say, buy weapons and outfit your characters and the go out to the map which is not mandatory to unlock, then save during the mission, then realize that you had saved in a bad spot and not resume the in-battle save, thus erasing it, you are plopped right after you had finished the previous mission, with the new map not unlocked, no items bought and no way to return, because there is only one save file. Which is a bit dumb.
- because of time-travel, there can be NPC version of your character fighting on the map and they can be considered vital to the battle and he or her dies, the mission is over. So during the mission I mention above I was playing as Yukimura Sanada. However, the game kept insisting that Yukimura had problems and that I should help him. "Silly game, I'm Yukimura and there's no problem", but then Yukimura died and it turned out there was another one and I had saved after he was too weakened to make it to him

The problems with saving is my own - no icon means it isn't saving - but not unlocking the map in some sort of a system save is dumb.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

i get the impression that given a game that lets you set your own markers for fast travel you'd use it just to get from one side of a town to another

edit: a small town

Where you're going wrong with this is that you think we don't like the process itself, whereas what we're actually saying is that the way the process is implemented is poo poo. I love talking with townspeople if it doesn't necessarily further anything (hell one of my favorite series is Animal Crossing for pretty much exactly this reason), but what I don't like is having to listen to a bunch of lovely canned dialogue in order to get to content I actually want to get to. I'm okay with talking to NPCs if I don't get a quest from them if it's entertaining, I'm not okay with game developers making games with lovely writing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

do you find canned dialogue offensive or something

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing Violent Storm a lot(one of the few and I think only non turtle Konami beat em up).

This dude is the final boss and is a total motherfucker, every other boss is patterned and has at least A.I or OTG loop, not this guy, his recovery animation is like 1 frame and his pattern is ridiculously random, there's just no rhyme or reason to what he'll hit you with, he'll do his ground smash, his ground explosion, one of his grabs, who the hell knows, the worst thing are his grabs because they take priority over yours, even if you're in position for one, if the A.I opts to do a grab its gonna override yours, the only predictable move is when he starts to spit which he does at half health, beyond that its just the luck of the draw if you can kill him deathless.

Fun game beyond this rear end in a top hat.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

Tiggum, you must absolutely hate Alpha Protocol. It is literally impossible to see "everything" in a single playthrough.

Edit: and it is awesome.

I like the way that games like Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, and Mass Effect handle "optional" content: every playthrough uses the same maps, missions, and general story beats yet because the game remembers all the minor decisions you made and acknowledges them (even if it doesn't have an actual effect beyond determining whose voice will be on your radio in a mission or what NPC is chilling in a bar and what item they give you) it feels more specialized and memorable than games that lock you out of broad swaths of content based on your choices.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like the way that games like Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, and Mass Effect handle "optional" content: every playthrough uses the same maps, missions, and general story beats yet because the game remembers all the minor decisions you made and acknowledges them (even if it doesn't have an actual effect beyond determining whose voice will be on your radio in a mission or what NPC is chilling in a bar and what item they give you) it feels more specialized and memorable than games that lock you out of broad swaths of content based on your choices.
AP does lock out tons of small pieces of content though. Fighting Malburg, fighting the Russian's Olympic bodyguard, meeting Steven Heck last means less poo poo you can plan with Steven Heck.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Why not just play through once doing whatever and then a second time with a guide or cheats or whatever so you don't miss any content, Tiggum? That way you don't have to stress out about events and missions and just play the game, and then go all completiony.

For Borderlands 1.5, I'm a little annoyed at the lack of the three golden keys I was promised for having BL2 saves, and very annoyed at how temperamental the jumping is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Why not just play through once doing whatever and then a second time with a guide or cheats or whatever so you don't miss any content, Tiggum? That way you don't have to stress out about events and missions and just play the game, and then go all completiony.

Because I want to play all of the missions once without having to play any of the missions twice.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Because I want to play all of the missions once without having to play any of the missions twice.

Wait, I can understand wanting to cut out busywork, but why care so much about seeing all the content of a game you probably don't like enough to get through the better parts of again? Like, that implies on a certain level that you think it's unfun to begin with.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wait, I can understand wanting to cut out busywork, but why care so much about seeing all the content of a game you probably don't like enough to get through the better parts of again? Like, that implies on a certain level that you think it's unfun to begin with.

No it doesn't.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I really super enjoyed the game Hyrule Warriors, but there's some unlockables you have to play levels twice to get and that sounds like a lot of busywork to me, even though I enjoyed those levels the first time, so I didn't do it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

I really super enjoyed the game Hyrule Warriors, but there's some unlockables you have to play levels twice to get and that sounds like a lot of busywork to me, even though I enjoyed those levels the first time, so I didn't do it.

They want you to replay most levels two-three times to get everything.

Ditto for the adventure map stages which you'll probably spend the most time in trying to get the better weapons unlocked, you also have to replay stages to unlock items that will let you get said rewards.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

They want you to replay most levels two-three times to get everything.

Ditto for the adventure map stages which you'll probably spend the most time in trying to get the better weapons unlocked, you also have to replay stages to unlock items that will let you get said rewards.

I've finished both Adventure and Master Quest with all of the weapons unlocked, I just have next to none of the skulltulas.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The VR missions in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance are already not that great to begin with (being a perfect intersection of the kind of gameplay I hate), but the Sam and Wolf DLCs make them even worse:

- Instead of being accessed through a separate menu, you can only enter VR missions as Sam or Wolf at the terminal within a level. I'm guessing this was for technical reasons, but it's just annoying and messes with the pacing the first time through and forces you to go find them inside the chapters if you want to do them again.

- Some of the VR missions reward you with health or stamina upgrades, but there's no real indication of this until you actually beat the corresponding mission. On the plus side, they didn't attach upgrades to...

- Wolf's third (I think) VR mission and Sam's fourth VR mission. The former is a painfully tedious stealth section (that also seems to have bullshit cloaked or unloaded? enemies that suddenly appear and instantly spot you if you try to take shortcuts) and the latter is a ridiculously lengthy enemy gauntlet containing some of the hardest enemies in the game. It's probably not that bad if you're really good with Sam (problem: I am not), but it's compounded by Sam's story being really stingy with repair pastes in general. That said, I'm also left wondering if the easily-respawnable repair paste box just down the hall from this particular VR mission was intentional.

Another thing that applies to all of the VR missions: A lot of them are easily prone to failure either by default (stealth or ludicrously difficult combat sections) or by choice (trying to get the best time). Every single time you restart you have to go through an unskippable animation. Maybe it's masking load times as it resets the map, but it's an obnoxious cherry on top when you're gunning for a perfect run or just got blitzed by some cheap enemy spawn combinations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Well then, you can either:

1. Become fantastically, absurdly rich, buy out all the big game companies and make them add lists of missions and when to access them to all games ever made to destroy all sense of exploration (maybe have NPCs say 'mission is that way' instead of dialogue or something);

2. Read the wiki/gamefaqs on it if you'd rather risk spoilers than experience content twice (what if said missions have multiple outcomes for more content?); or

3. Suck it up and accept that this facet of video games is one you dislike but isn't going to change and get on with your life.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Illuyankas posted:

3. Suck it up and accept that this facet of video games is one you dislike but isn't going to change and get on with your life.

You realize he's complaining about video games in the thread about complaining about video games?

I really don't get why people are jumping down Tiggum's throat about this. It's a legitimate complaint, he's got a reasonable viewpoint behind it, you don't have to agree with it but it's certainly not invalid.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

You realize he's complaining about video games in the thread about complaining about video games?

I really don't get why people are jumping down Tiggum's throat about this. It's a legitimate complaint, he's got a reasonable viewpoint behind it, you don't have to agree with it but it's certainly not invalid.

The people who like playing the same missions in games over and over also like posting the same thing in this thread over and over :aaa:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive:
I did the collectibles in San Andreas until I had a decent gun and armor at my various spawn points. That's all you need. GTAIV and V giving you horrible unlockables is just another symptom of the weird, unfun direction that series is going.

It's interesting you use this as an example because as far as weapons spawns at your safe houses go, you need to collect all the items for the corresponding save point, and if I recall correctly, you don't get an armor spawn aside from what's already available on the map. It could be you remember incorrectly because at least for me the game was fun enough and the rewards good enough to collect all the doodads, fun enough for me to pump over 300 hours into it and get %100.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

Because Tiggum frequently gets bitched at in this thread for having opinions against the norm. How dare he have opinions in things!?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shut up about that already, will you.

Persona 4: Maybe it was just because it was my first time playing through it, but I found that SP*-restoring items were never in adequate supply. During the final-final boss fight, 2 of my 4 party members were completely out of SP when I finally beat it, and my player character had only about 50 left after using up all my items. (The fourth used an element that the boss absorbed, so none of his magic attacks actually did anything.) It didn't help that all of the late-game boss fights used a format where you fought a weaker boss before the final one who would still be strong enough to require party-healing skills to be used.

*SP is just what Persona calls Magic Points.

edit: also I got two social links to 9 before the plot pulled the rug out from under me and I couldn't increase them further, but that's what I get for going in blind and spending too many evenings working at the hospital because I needed the cash, I guess.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 24, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

Because Tiggum frequently gets bitched at in this thread for having opinions against the norm. How dare he have opinions in things!?

Yeah, we should bitch at him for not playing Star Control II.

Hey Tiggum, play it, it's free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Len posted:

Tiggum is getting bitched at because he's saying that broadly employed design concepts, which for many people in the thread are a big part of why they enjoy video games, are lovely because he personally does not want to play a video game more than once or use GameFAQs.