Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If your one of the queers who likes Civ 4 better than Civ 5 I'm going to hunt you down and kill you Irl. You've been warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

i think one unit per tile is okay

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I liked Civ 5 better.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

If your one of the queers who likes Civ 4 better than Civ 5 I'm going to hunt you down and kill you Irl. You've been warned.

You know I do.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I will meet you outside the Auckland Manga Cafe for a fist fight, to be refereed by the Manager, Seong.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
0_o

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
*Leonard Nimoy voice* Do not throw the arrow which will return against you

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Zergs are for rts's. They have no place in civ. Unless they're mind worms.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I wish I could combine the two honestly. Civ 4 has some cool things, Civ 5 has some cool things. Give me....Civ 4.5

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

OkieMurse posted:

I liked Civ 5 better.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

OkieMurse posted:

I liked Civ 5 better after they put out two expansions

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

DrPaper posted:

I wish I could combine the two honestly. Civ 4 has some cool things, Civ 5 has some cool things. Give me....Civ 4.5

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrPaper posted:

one unit per tile is unquestionably the more interesting combat model, but I miss civ 4's approach to religions

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
*kneels in the aftermath of this thread*

There was...... a flamewar!!!!!!!!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

im going to brutally and insanely murder all civ 4 and 5 likers with alpine troops and partisans

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

im going to brutally and insanely murder all civ 4 and 5 likers with alpine troops and partisans

yeah okay napoleon bonaparte, chief executive of the alpine republic

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
everyone who likes games that I don't like, especially if they dislike games that I like, must die

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Friends, why not take the middle ground and replay civ 2

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I just imagine how much better 5 would have been with unit stacking and shake my drat head.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One unit per tile ruins civ 5, sorry Pewds, but I think 4 is better, especially colonization

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I will meet you outside the Auckland Manga Cafe for a fist fight, to be refereed by the Manager, Seong.

2 gamers enter 1 gamer leaves.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

2 gamers enter 1 gamer leaves.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Who runs gamer town?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

OkieMurse posted:

I liked Civ 5 better.
Same.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I like video games

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DrPaper posted:

yeah

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

zeal posted:

one unit per tile is unquestionably the more interesting combat model,

wrong. use the model that fits the game. the way 1upt is implemented in civ5 is an absolutely terrible logistical mess

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Stream the fight tyia

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Borsche69 posted:

wrong. use the model that fits the game. the way 1upt is implemented in civ5 is an absolutely terrible logistical mess

your issue may be that you're just really bad at planning your deployment of a dozen or so armymans

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
*Draws blade* If that's the way it has to be...then have at you.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

zeal posted:

your issue may be that you're just really bad at planning your deployment of a dozen or so armymans

No.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

yea my experiences of watching someone move a murderstack of like 20+ units from tile to tile each turn are really fond memories

if there's one thing civ really needs it's for turns to take longer

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

zeal posted:

hahaha holy moly no.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

yea my experiences of watching someone move a murderstack of like 20+ units from tile to tile each turn are really fond memories

if there's one thing civ really needs it's for turns to take longer

moving each unit individually takes a lot longer than moving a stack of units (hint: use the command 'select all - > move' which has been in the game for a long time)

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

moving each unit individually takes a lot longer than moving a stack of units (hint: use the command 'select all - > move' which has been in the game for a long time)

i was mainly talking about the ai, whom does not do that

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

i was mainly talking about the ai, whom does not do that

You can turn AI moves off, so that the game doesn't pause to show the animation for every unit. I turn unit moves off for myself too, since they take time without really showing anything. You can do this in Civ5 too.

If you're talking about processing power, well, I haven't noticed any slowdown for Civ4 for large maps with AIs. Huge maps are a little too big but they're always gonna be too big and have too many units.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

You can turn AI moves off, so that the game doesn't pause to show the animation for every unit. I turn unit moves off for myself too, since they take time without really showing anything. You can do this in Civ5 too.

If you're talking about processing power, well, I haven't noticed any slowdown for Civ4 for large maps with AIs. Huge maps are a little too big but they're always gonna be too big and have too many units.

i recall having issues with that but i don't remember what they were so you win this round

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think one unit per tile could be interesting and strategic if it was done well, but I don't think Civ 5 implemented it very well.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Silver Striker posted:

I think one unit per tile could be interesting and strategic if it was done well, but I don't think Civ 5 implemented it very well.

I think Panzer General and Advance Wars both implement 1upt fairly well. They both have their flaws, where Panzer General the fighting can be a logistical nightmare when you're fighting over a city, and Advance Wars can turn into a carpet of doom too often especially on smaller maps or when someone is colin, sasha, or hachi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Civ 5 is dumb

The WW2 normandy invasion was a doomstack

One unit of tards with muskets should not inviolably occupy 10,000 square miles of rolling hills

1upt vs doomstax is a false dichotomy good game designers could have done something good instead of either

The ai can't play the game

lllllllloooooooooolllllllllll

• Locked thread