Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn't say its weak as much as more... generic I guess? Where Escape From Butcher Bay had you doing sidequests and talking to a variety of colourful characters and having things at least feel like you're actually able to explore the prison (before causing a riot) Assault on Dark Athena is more of a straight FPS with the same kind of stealth from Butcher Bay that occasionally has small throwbacks to the more open feeling of Butcher Bay. You still do plenty of guard punching, shooting, and there's still mech suits. Riddick himself also goes a overboard with the whole "warrior poet" schitck.

Though I would agree its not as strong or as original as Butcher Bay, as an FPS/stealth game I actually did enjoy Dark Athena a fair bit, barring a few bad parts which Butcher Bay didn't escape either.
Fair enough. I will give it a try at some point, just not right now while there's other games to play.

So I've already ranked the games I played from top to bottom. I'll probably make an effort post about it at some point. The bottom 10 games weren't even necessarily BAD games (although three of them were TERRIBLE). I think when you start running through this many games, you don't have time to waste on a lovely game. So I often shelved games quickly if I didn't enjoy them even marginally.

My Steamcompletionist went from 27.4% beaten to 49.3% during this insane quest to play through my backlog. I'll never get to 100%, but I will keep chipping away. And then like Tim Buckley i will become the king of all gamers and transcend my physical form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RadicalR posted:

Hate to ask this, but all of these are steam related.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/lord-of-the-rings-bundle/

Bundle any good for the price it's asking?

If you like the LEGO games and want a pretty okay co-op brawler that's fairly boring when played alone $10 isn't bad. Guardians of Middle Earth is bad though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

Does it run well? Seems like it may need some beefy parts.

I'm on i5 4570, GTX 660ti, 8gb of ram.

I have an i5 2500k (OC'd to 4,3 GHz), 8 G RAM, and a GTX 670, and had no issues with the game on max (or close to) max settings.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones

-----------------

23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor

(No screenshots, I had a terrible time getting this running on my current system and the store page ones are no good.)

I've talked plenty about Shadowgrounds, one of my favorite near-mindless alien shooting games ever. I was pretty excited to dig into the sequel as soon as I finished the original, but sadly that excitement didn't last long.

Where the original followed the tense adventure of on ridiculously capable, wise-cracking mechanic, Survivor splits its attention between several, well, survivors. Just about every level shifts your perspective to a new character, each with their own weapons and traits. This might sound interesting but all it does is limit your options in combat when the original gave you nearly a dozen weapons to swap between by the end of the game. Some of the scenarios really make it sting, too. One of the characters is a military sniper, armed with a powerful, single-shot rifle, pistol, and bombs. The second time you get control of her, you have to fend off waves of numerous aliens in a cramped sewer level. Who the hell thinks something like that is a good idea.

Really it's the levels that drag Survivor down the furthest. Gone are the open, sprawling maps of the original colony, replaced with linear levels punctuated with cutscenes. There are secrets to be found but never far from the main path (and the upgrade system is less interesting this time around anyway). The game never captures the scope of its predecessor, instead focusing more on a limited cinematic experience. Again, I don't know who thought this was a good idea because Shadowgrounds had excellent combat and exploration but a thin, corny story and Survivor doesn't get any better. The new characters in particular are pretty weak... the sniper I mentioned earlier is one of the worst hardass female archetypes I have ever seen.

On the plus side, the graphics are more polished and the combat is still just as good, assuming you like your character. It's just not nearly as tight a package, and I can't really recommend it even to those that appreciate Shadowgrounds as much as I did.

24. Ghost Master

Are you one of those people who played The Sims just to torment your little residents? Because I think someone made Ghost Master just for you. As the titular master of ghosts, you take an assortment of spooks and specters into different homes and buildings with the intent of driving out the residents. Each ghost has specific things it can haunt, like electronics or damp things, and several powers that unlock as you scare more and more people. There are also ghosts you can recruit during missions by completing certain tasks, foes to overcome like police and ghostbuster-types, and high scores to shoot for in each level. There are some clever locales to haunt too, like sorority houses, mystery mansions, cabins in the woods, schools, and more.

The game plays like a cross between real-time strategy and puzzle. You can give your ghosts orders and have to manage your spooking power between them, but scaring off mortals and completing tasks is more a matter of getting the right ghost in the right place. It's a terribly charming little game that is unfortunately starting to show its age, and can be a bit frustrating if certain people or ghosts don't path the way you need them to. Since you have no direct control over movement, tasks that require specific placement can be a chore to complete. Minor gripes aside, this a is perfect lighthearted game for the season, and one that most likely anyone can enjoy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ghost Master's pretty baller. I don't like the Sims at all and I had a lot of fun with this game. I last played it, like, 2 years ago or something.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I don't play tons of roguelikes, but I am really enjoying Sproggiwood.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ghost Master takes me back, as it was one of the first non-Valve games I owned on Steam, as I grabbed it and several other cheap games during the first Steam Winter Sale I bought games from. Shame it locked at a low resolution or I wouldn't mind trying it again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

Shame it locked at a low resolution or I wouldn't mind trying it again.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/6200/discussions/0/846945411142280262/

You can unlock higher resolutions.

quote:

Go to:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\ghost master\GhostData

and open spdrv.cfg with notedpad

This is basically a table. You will see some columns that say Maxw and MaxH . Change all the entries under MaxW to your native or custom width (1920 for me) and change all the MaxH for your native or custom Height (1080 for me).
Do the same for MinH/W.

Save and close the file.

Open the game and move the resolution slider in graphics options all the way to the right, your resolution probably wont be displayed yet.. Press ok. Restart the game and go back to graphic options. If you move the slider to the right again it should hopefully come up with your custom resolution.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Freak Futanari posted:

It got changed by some sorta weirdo like three times in the span of two days. I'm getting trolled pretty bad. It's messed up.

I feel you :saddowns:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Helith posted:

Sorry, I worded it badly. It will clear it in the Steam client too, but you can only access the feature in the browser version. So use it on the web page version of steam then open the client and it will be gone there too.
Oh. I thought I had some sort of an Enhanced Steam thing. Maybe that was something else. Time to give it a try.

Awesome! posted:

just send a coupon to trashbot and it will clear the notification
Trashbot?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember buying Ghost Master for like a dollar several halloweens ago. I ended up playing 10 hours of it. Not bad.

It is very much a puzzle game though.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Gamefly has iD games on sale today:

Wolfenstein The New Order - $29.99
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - $2.49
Doom 3 - $2.49
Doom 3: BFG Edition (AVOID) - $4.99

WTF is the story with their verification process? Ugh.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I can't believe Faerie Solitaire 2 still isn't out.

e: vvv Isn't that one of the things Lowtax covered on Gaming Garbage a while back?

e2: Guess not, but close enough.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mr. nobody posted:

I dunno about this one, but flying cars could be fun I guess
1: The flipping cars thing seems to be clipping/jointing issues with the map. There's one area near a gas station that spins cars around all the time. Not that hard to fix right?
2: The police car does get replaced with your personal car when you buy one but it's stupid to keep spawning the cop car everywhere you go and not allowing you to use it. Look down for more on that though.
3: What? :confused:
4: :byodood: No 4k res megatexurrreees, wtf game. Eh, I really do not give a gently caress about graphics. People look like people, cars look like cars, roads and buildings and trees look like their respective things. I dunno, I just down get hung over this stuff. YMMV
5: Eh, they function, same as 4.
6: Get over it. It's meant to be a sim, not a twitch shooter.

Harminoff posted:

The map is super tiny, like 6 streets total. The game is good to laugh at, but far from enjoyable. It's a huge mess. The devs did say that they will listen to feedback and try and improve it so hopefully they do.
There's like, 6 or 7 different areas/maps. Would be nice if they weren't separated by a loading screen but so far events seem pretty localized around each map so no real need to have it all in one sprawling one.

Harminoff posted:

Let's just say you can't drive your police car off duty. A new car is like $20k, but you start with $3k. You have to end your shift at the police station, and have to sleep at your house. So as far as I see you have to walk home and to the station for a while before you get funds to buy a car to drive home. You hunger also drains way to fast, and when it does your character grabs his stomach in pain.
Press 3. You can call a Taxi to home and the other maps. You can use that menu to visit your Mother, Grandparents, Sister and Friends from there too. You'll spawn at their houses (With the police car to taunt you). The cheapest car is like 9k but you have to go to one of the other areas though.

But the issue is mostly with the pissweak money you earn. $100 per rank per shift. So at rank 3 you get $300 per shift. However most of these values and stuff is just in .xml files. Same with your saves so you can just edit and save.

Ranking/leveling up seems to be done through points so if you keep loving up and losing points it will take longer. Doing things the right way earns you points, doing bad things loses you them. Higher rank, more dangerous missions you apparently get.
eg: Ticketing an illegally parked car gets you +50. Ticketing a legally parked car loses you -50. Sadly enough you don't get any extra money from ticketing cars (Or any action) in general so there's no gain to being a bent cop.
When to arrest and not to arrest people is a little confusing at times too. Am I arrest the driver if his car's licence is expired (:???:)? But there seems to be no punishment for lenience so if you were meant to arrest someone, it doesn't bust your chops for not doing it.

-For some reason the in-game year starts in 2004.
-Seems to only be one house. You can dress it up with mirrors and tables and fridges and such but seems to mostly be a money sink/ROLE PLAY thing. You do want to spend money on a TV though. It refills your Stress meter the most AND it refills your energy, you never need to sleep again because justice never sleeps.
-When you get out of your car as you're chasing someone the game defaults to having your pistol out, not your taser. I've accidentally shot three fleeing people so far. :patriot:
-The male cop pronounces ambulance as Amber-lamps.
-Not turning up for work loses you more points than shooting a fleeing unarmed suspect.
-You get to play Pimp My Police Car at rank 3. There's a couple of options and it's free to change.

$15 feels like a fair price to me. $20... eh... if you're really looking for this kind of thing maybe. It's niche, it's one of those weird simulator things don't grab this if you want something like a Third-person SWAT or whatever. But if you like odd little sim games like this tickle your fancy you might have some fun with this.
And if you were expecting GTA:Cops, why the gently caress were you expecting GTA:Cops? It's from a bloody publisher known for stupid janky simulator titles. The developers are Brazilian that previously only made iThing/Android app games. Why the gently caress were you expecting GTA:Cops? :psyduck:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I can't believe Faerie Solitaire 2 still isn't out.

I can, if only because their current project, FaeVerse Alchemy, is a tire fire.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I can, if only because their current project, FaeVerse Alchemy, is a tire fire.

a what?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
A trainwreck, if that metaphor works better for you.

The game hasn't been updated in a while (not publicly, there are changelogs and "beta builds" mentioned on the game's hub nobody gets to see), they added stuff to it which they are now trying to spin off into its own, secondary game, and it's a huge fragmented mess that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is probably going to fall victim to their last in-development game's pitfalls where they made builds, didn't quite grasp what was going on with it, and then shoved it in a pit to die.

This one will probably have less shoving, but it wouldn't shock me if it just vanished at some point.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

A trainwreck, if that metaphor works better for you.

The game hasn't been updated in a while (not publicly, there are changelogs and "beta builds" mentioned on the game's hub nobody gets to see), they added stuff to it which they are now trying to spin off into its own, secondary game, and it's a huge fragmented mess that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is probably going to fall victim to their last in-development game's pitfalls where they made builds, didn't quite grasp what was going on with it, and then shoved it in a pit to die.

This one will probably have less shoving, but it wouldn't shock me if it just vanished at some point.

That's a shame, I kinda like SupSoap for Solitaire and I kinda wanted to see more fairie arse.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I decided to do a let's play of that enforcer game. Never did a let's play before so hope I did okay. If not let me know. The game is just too goofy not to share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNtUSS6WGM

That game looks quite boring and an LP probably needs pre-planning before playing to make it more interesting.

You could try post your video here if you want to get some serious feedback:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Some Codemasters stuff on simplycdkeys.com for 49p. Fuel, Operation Flashpoint etc. Previously bundled stuff basically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

saucerman posted:

That game looks quite boring and an LP probably needs pre-planning before playing to make it more interesting.

You could try post your video here if you want to get some serious feedback:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255

I think he meant LP in the sense that he talked over an awful game on YouTube for twenty minutes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

grancheater posted:

Son of a bitch i got the Nosgoth Veteran pack.

Twice.

I got Victim of Xen

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Junkenstein posted:

Some Codemasters stuff on simplycdkeys.com for 49p. Fuel, Operation Flashpoint etc. Previously bundled stuff basically.

Uh, looking at this, when did Fuel and Jericho got taken out of Steam?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, looking at this, when did Fuel and Jericho got taken out of Steam?

They're both GfWL games, aren't they? Probably the big scare last year over GfWL closing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It will still close at some point eventually. SimplyCD should add a disclaimer about GFWL somewhere, but eh, 50p for games that can only be played now and later will require a crack -- that's fine.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is a good writeup but even with the criticisms I think you were too kind of Survivor. I really don't know why they did what they did to that game but it was worse than the original Shadowgrounds in every way.

But then the team went on the make Trine. :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't recall this being brought up but Deadly Premonition is on sale for $2.50 until Monday.

From what I've heard the PC port is still jank but DP is still a great game and for that price its a steal.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

I don't recall this being brought up but Deadly Premonition is on sale for $2.50 until Monday.

From what I've heard the PC port is still jank but DP is still a great game and for that price its a steal.

Deadly Premonition is insanely good, and everyone should play it. It is also a very good halloween game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Freak Futanari posted:

Deadly Premonition is insanely good, and everyone should play it. It is also a very good halloween game.
Now if only we could get D4 on Steam.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Diablo 4 is out already?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Freak Futanari posted:

Diablo 4 is out already?
No, Swery's new game. It's an XBone exclusive right now.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
How's The Forest? It looks like a decent survival type sim and I really like the graphics and aesthetics.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's half-baked and glitchy and there's not much to do in it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I'm digging Styx: Master of Shadows quite a bit so far. I think it'll appeal to anyone who's a fan of old-school stealthing like what you would get in the classic Thief games. You have sprawling levels that allow for multiple paths to an objective, shadow-based sneaking around, and you're definitely not powerful enough to take on more than one guard at a time. Garrett has his arrows, Sam Fisher has gadgets and Styx has abilities powered by amber. They allow you to do things like turn invisible briefly or activate "amber vision" (which is just like detective vision from the Arkham games). The most significant ability though is that you can create clones who can do a limited set of activities for you - for example, they can run past guards and make a bunch of noise; when the guard kills it they'll turn back and go to their post, leaving them open for a shanking. They can also jump on a guard and distract them while you sneak away and they can even sit in a closet or chest and kill the nearest guard who walks by.

There's no option for knocking out guards. You either kill them or avoid them. It's been described as "janky" - although I didn't notice many bugs, some things are weird. Sometimes when killing a guard, they'll go flying off nearby, I guess if the geometry isn't to their liking. The shadow system is also a bit strange...although I'm stealthed here (Styx's tattoo is lit up), it looks like I'm in a pretty bright area:

Although it's not the main attraction, some of the scenery is nice:

If you're into exploration, though, this game will frustrate you. It seems like the developer put cool looking areas in the game that you can't reach. I found this first on the second level, but it looks like there's one in every zone:

The maps so far are pretty cool, although I've heard that there are levels later on that you backtrack through, except in reverse order. One thing that's neat is that they'll often show you an interesting area that you wind up visiting later, like this neato outdoors staircase:

And then here you are!

So far, the game meshes well with my preferred stealth playstyle of "take out a bunch of guards and dump them in a corner"

I missed five guards apparently...oops!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Red Mundus posted:

How's The Forest? It looks like a decent survival type sim and I really like the graphics and aesthetics.

It's got potential but there's not much going on yet. The list of things you can actually build needs to be filled in quite a bit before it's really worth 10 bucks, but you might still enjoy it if you like wandering around in a forest being attacked by cannibals while felling trees.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Palpek posted:

Somebody once gave me a KKK avatar...

Palpek posted:

I saw this in Civilization: Beyond Earth's screenshot hub:

Hmmmmmm....
Just messing with you Palpek

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 25, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Xander77 posted:

Trashbot?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/trashbot

use the link near the top of that info section

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Palpek posted:

I saw this in Civilization: Beyond Earth's screenshot hub:

I'm not racist, I don't even see the color of a man's skin.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Croccers posted:

1: The flipping cars thing seems to be clipping/jointing issues with the map. There's one area near a gas station that spins cars around all the time. Not that hard to fix right?
2: The police car does get replaced with your personal car when you buy one but it's stupid to keep spawning the cop car everywhere you go and not allowing you to use it. Look down for more on that though.
3: What? :confused:
4: :byodood: No 4k res megatexurrreees, wtf game. Eh, I really do not give a gently caress about graphics. People look like people, cars look like cars, roads and buildings and trees look like their respective things. I dunno, I just down get hung over this stuff. YMMV
5: Eh, they function, same as 4.
6: Get over it. It's meant to be a sim, not a twitch shooter.

Just to be clear, that was not a screenshot of a review by me, it was a screenshot one of the negative reviews that looked funny to me. I haven't played the game at all. I think #3 was saying that he found it funny that you could witness car crashes, but not have the ability to perform any police duties related to it(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Good news idiots, your stupid loving mistake of not buying MGR Revengence will be briefly overlooked because its 50% off today.

• Locked thread