Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

soapgish posted:

You say that but I own a 3D and everyone loves popping the glasses on in a private setting. Starz has 3D movies on demand, the Blu-rays really aren't much more expensive than the standard releases, U-Verse had a 3D channel during/for the last Olympics, and it's a bit of a spectacle in social environments when you can just throw a bunch of music videos up on a Youtube playlist and convert them.
Yes, they are fun in social environments. But people are stupid, and the operative word is fun.

We have a 51" 3D TV and I pretty much never watch in 3D unless we have people over and it's like "Oh, check out this cool thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I guess most of y'all have gotten tired of Modern Family. I thought I was too but this season has been really good again actually.

Nah, this year and last have been really good and funny, and the show is good and funny.

Speaking of good and funny, I've formed an emotional connection with A to Z, and it will hurt that much more when it inevitably gets cancelled. Cristin Miloti doing a deposition-eulogy was adorable, and I wish we had seen more.

And in the polar opposite direction: Last Man Standing did an episode about a school merger between the school that Tim Allen's kids go to, and an underpriviliged, underfunded inner city school. I want to look, but I definitely don't want to look.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, this year and last have been really good and funny, and the show is good and funny.

I don't really remember last time I watched the show on the regular, I don't even know if I saw much of last season. Lily has grown up to be remarkably funny though, and the bit in the latest episode where everyone thought Phil and Claire were swingers was amazing.

e: And Luke has gotten huge :stare:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I don't really remember last time I watched the show on the regular, I don't even know if I saw much of last season. Lily has grown up to be remarkably funny though, and the bit in the latest episode where everyone thought Phil and Claire were swingers was amazing.

e: And Luke has gotten huge :stare:

I loved Luke for the first few years, but he's kinda regressed to the average, but Haley is my MVP for the past year or so, the character has a clear direction and Sarah Hyland has stepped up her game. Ty Burrell is, of course, the best, but that goes without saying.

I'm watching the pilot for Cristela, and this show is so much better than I expected. The first scene at the law office was great, and while the character is a bit of a mouth piece for the real Cristela, but of course, any show that shares the name of it's creator is gonna do that, and this is a drat sight better than Mulaney.

The best part of the whole thing is the interview between Rich Scary Lawyer Man and Cristela. The brief moment when she sees him put on the Good Ol' Boy voice when he's on the phone is worth a thousand Mulaney pilots. And they found the best dorky white guy.

edit: Kay Cannon is a consulting producer on Cristela, which explains the quality. Kay Cannon is a funny lady.

edit2: That sounds bad, attributing the success of a latino-led and created sitcom to a white lady.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

The second episode is even better.

"I've never lived with a woman before. Well, except for Danielle. But she was Daniel when I lived with her. Hey, you remember Danny? Always putting money in that jar labeled VAGINA? He bought a vagina."

Reading that line out of context cracked me up in the break room at work the other day, before I had a chance to see the episode. I finally caught up with Marry Me tonight and laughed the entire drat time. I absolutely love this show, and I really hope it doesn't get canceled. It has Casey Wilson, Ken Marino (as the straight man, who delivered the above line), and it's written and created by David Caspe, the showrunner of Happy Endings (and Wilson's husband).

If not for You're the Worst, I'd be calling Marry Me the best new comedy of 2014. It's a very different show -- much more of a traditional sitcom -- but the snappy dialogue packs in so many jokes per minute, and the leads are so likeable, that I can't help but love it. It helps that my wife and I are very close to Marino and Wilson's characters in age, and we've dealt with several of their situations ourselves (just in less insane ways).

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Marry me is just alternate universe Happy Endings and I love it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Cristela is really fun to watch because she is a joy to watch IMO. Mulaney himself either seems really awkward on camera or him and his cast really mug it up for the camera way too much for it to be anything but obvious.

Also sucks for MLS, but it really didn't capture me at all. It was a pretty by-the-numbers romantic comedy where people hated its schtick (hearing the lead's thoughts at times) that they had to dial it down to almost nil. At least A to Z is pretty drat saccharine when it needs to be and knows to turn it up and goes for broke at times. Obviously You're The Worst goes off in the opposite direction but I like both just as much.

I can also see Selfie getting a second season, I mean yeah the numbers are poo poo but it has no lead-in so it's doing alright considering vs. MLS.

Fooz posted:

I look forward to it but it has a slow start - and don't get me wrong, HE did as well, but I'm hoping they go somewhere with it, but the supporting cast is I feel way too big (2 leads + 3 friends + her 2 dads = 7) that if you don't start doing Happy Endings style pairoffs then why are they there? And a few characters definitely feel undercooked in Marry Me. Which is fine, again, but there's 5 supporting cast members.

There's a reason when HE aired ABC pretty much did not air the second episode after the first.

Sober fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 26, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fooz posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think we're getting another cast with as much talent as that show had... like, ever again. All six of them immediately either landed pilots or slipped into Fox sitcom casts.

edit: My new secret dream is that there's a Cristela/Last Man Standing crossover that ends with Cristela punching Tim Allen in the balls for 10 minutes straight.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 26, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Selfie is getting doubled up to cover MLS' cancellation and I'm not sure if that means they're burning it off or not. It's a shame it's struggling because Gillan is just a natural for comedy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

IRQ posted:

3D is good if a thing was shot in 3D (which is, basically, Avatar or cartoons rendered in 3D).

Do you at least have the passive 3D glasses, or are you talking the ridiculous giant shutter goggles?

A lot of post conversion can be good, like DREDD or Hayley Atwell in the red dress in CAPTAIN AMERICA. Also, casual shades.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, they are fun in social environments. But people are stupid, and the operative word is fun.

Agreed, but I enjoy getting toasty and kicking back front row so I get a lot of value beyond my lab rat friends.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

loving lol at 3D conversion being anything other than hot garbage. 3D is good if a thing was shot in 3D (which is, basically, Avatar or cartoons rendered in 3D).

Do you at least have the passive 3D glasses, or are you talking the ridiculous giant shutter goggles?

http://realorfake3d.com

3D conversion is pretty decent nowadays though, or so I'm told. I can't really see the effect cause of an eye problem.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 26, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

tk posted:

All those people who bought (and used) a 3D TV.

I bought a 3d TV, but mostly because it was cheaper than a comparable non-3d TV. And watching movies / playing games in 3d is pretty rad, sorry you are a hater.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

http://realorfake3d.com

3D conversion is pretty decent nowadays though, or so I'm told. I can't really see the effect cause of an eye problem.

Note that all of the "real" 3D movies are cartoons, or more accurately, so CG laden that they may as well be (or mostly poo poo nobody ever heard of really). Which makes me kind of surprised to see GotG labeled as fake, since it was almost all CG. Although, having seen that movie in both 3D and 2D, the 3D version did nothing at all except cost more.

I am not anti-3D, if it sounds that way, but it's so very limited that buying a super expensive tv for it seems dumb. Which was some other poster's point. 3D tvs were a thing for like 2 years then they disappeared.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

Note that all of the "real" 3D movies are cartoons, or more accurately, so CG laden that they may as well be (or mostly poo poo nobody ever heard of really). Which makes me kind of surprised to see GotG labeled as fake, since it was almost all CG. Although, having seen that movie in both 3D and 2D, the 3D version did nothing at all except cost more.

I am not anti-3D, if it sounds that way, but it's so very limited that buying a super expensive tv for it seems dumb. Which was some other poster's point. 3D tvs were a thing for like 2 years then they disappeared.

If you bought a TV and blu-ray player in the last few years, there's a pretty good chance it's 3D capable.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Lots of TVs you can buy now have 3D capability.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

High end TVs are exclusively 3D. Th top brands don't make non-3D in their flagship lines.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Can we change the Doctor Who thread title to reflect how loving awful the show is this season?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Can we change the Doctor Who thread title to reflect how loving awful the show is this season?

That's a good idea. To be fair let's take your idea as a whole and go with me for the specifics. to cover the spectrum of opinions.

TVIV> Dr Who - A bad first twenty minutes and brilliant after that, (give or take a couple of problematic ideas.)

BSam fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 26, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BSam posted:

TVIV> Dr Who - A bad first twenty minutes and brilliant after that, (give or take a couple of problematic ideas.)

TVIV > Doctor Who: :qq:

Reallym though, just move the thread to GBS and let it sort itself out there. If you can't watch a children's television show without furiously ranting about racism, sexism and ableism, you are clearly in desperate need of being insulted by the greatest number of people available.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

TVIV > Doctor Who: :qq:

Reallym though, just move the thread to GBS and let it sort itself out there. If you can't watch a children's television show without furiously ranting about racism, sexism and ableism, you are clearly in desperate need of being insulted by the greatest number of people available.

Are you implying having a thread here for those who enjoy the show and a thread an GBS for those who are unable to watch a tv show for the piece of entertainment that it is?

I don't know if that's a good idea, the people who post in the Dr Who spoiler thread will probably object to their thread being moved.

Just kidding! But I suggest we stop polluting TVIV Couch Chat with this, we already have three threads!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

PriorMarcus posted:

No because it's been good this season

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I liked Constantine's pilot. I feel like it's the Supernatural spinoff, we were all looking for.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

There were a few stinkers here and there but I genuinely enjoyed most of it, and the fact it was more The Clara Oswald Show staring Grumpy Old Man as The (New) Doctor

The finale seems to rectify that and turn it back into Moffat plot vomit Doctor Who though.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

I liked Constantine's pilot. I feel like it's the Supernatural spinoff, we were all looking for.

The accent used by guy playing Castiel keeps throwing me off.

Nice to see Michael and Faraday from LOST though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sober posted:

There were a few stinkers here and there but I genuinely enjoyed most of it, and the fact it was more The Clara Oswald Show staring Grumpy Old Man as The (New) Doctor

The finale seems to rectify that and turn it back into Moffat plot vomit Doctor Who though.
Wait the finale aired already? Is America on a delay again?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait the finale aired already? Is America on a delay again?
No, the finale is over the next two weeks but they did do a preview of it and from what they showed it looks like bombastic Moffat plot garbage, so I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The most positive thing I can say about the current season of Doctor Who is that Clara makes an impeccable flapper.

It's not awful or anything, but the season has lacked a lot of the goofy charm of the prior New-Who. The stories themselves aren't really any better or worse in my opinion.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The latest story had some problems and is likely sparking a big kerfluffle that I'm not even looking into, but it was preceded by one that everyone was calling amazing so I'm not sure the "it's horrible this season" consensus is ironclad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sober posted:

No, the finale is over the next two weeks but they did do a preview of it and from what they showed it looks like bombastic Moffat plot garbage, so I'll be surprised if it isn't.
Ah, gotcha

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The latest story had some problems and is likely sparking a big kerfluffle that I'm not even looking into, but it was preceded by one that everyone was calling amazing so I'm not sure the "it's horrible this season" consensus is ironclad.
Pretty much every season since the revival has had stinkers in it, it's just this one is leading into the finale and IMO the finale is proving it'll be lovely (not everything thinks this part though).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sober posted:

IMO the finale is proving it'll be lovely (not everything thinks this part though).
Possibly because the episode hasn't aired yet.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm watching orange is the new black season 1

1) single worst title for a tv show ever, it's lucky this show was good and popular because it's not even a memorably bad title, just a terrible loving pun that was hacky twenty loving years ago

Like at least don't trust the b had a title that'd make sure we remembered what it was even if it sucked

2) all the characters on te show feel like they're written from te exact same perspective of a white liberal trying to understand other cultures, so especially people like the black characters feel oddly fake over emblematic of the black experience

Like especially in comparison to the wire the non-white characters on this show feel specifically authored from a white perspective who read a bunch of books on what it's like to be not white

3) piper is kind of a terrible main character, even as the stand-in "in way over her head character" she can be mega insufferable and she's surrounded by people far, far more interesting than her

4) that chicken episode was almost impressively terrible

5) this feels like it has the same problem that weeds did where it views the penitentiary system from that same weirdly sanitized faux-edgy view that weeds viewed the drug trade, like it's very much a white perspective on the horrors of prison over say oz or the wire, which both felt more practical and realistic

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I will watch Peter Pan Live! specifically for Christopher Walken as Hook, he's going to be amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The prison in OITNB is low security (can't remember if it's minimum) so of course it's not going to be Oz. I think there's value in showing the subtler problems of non-Supermax-style facilities.

It's definitely from a white perspective but, well, that's the source material they have to work with.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I will watch Peter Pan Live!

the next day on Hulu.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just started watching the Sopranos last week and I learned that James Gandolfini is dead. gently caress :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alright I'm trying to remember this TV show that I saw a scene of and it is really bugging me.

The show is set in the UK, around the 2000s (and I think was made in the 2000s). I think it had a limited run (either mini-series or only a few seasons) and is about police officers and revolves around some incident setting off a chain of events that run through the series (might have to do with corrupt officers). I think in some way it was comparable to The Wire in that it was realistic and had a bunch of plot threads that the show revolves around (instead of being procedural), and was quite acclaimed but not well known.

All I remember about the actual show is a scene I was watching on youtube (I think it was the opening scene of the first episode) with an older cop and a younger cop and they're inspecting this car on a beach at night (there might have been a person who had been shot in the car), and I think the older cop recognizes something in the car as having to do with a member of a criminal organization.

Some guy posted this scene in TV IV ages ago and now it's really bugging me, if you're that guy who some amount of time posted a scene from youtube in these forums then you better come forward.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Luther?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don't think so. I think the show is more obscure than Luther, a bit older, and I want to say doesn't focus on one character (on the other hand I've never seen it aside from that one scene so it might have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was episode one of the Shadow Line.

• Locked thread