Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

The text in the images I've seen does say it has 3mm holes in its "various parts" for customization, but doesn't specify exactly which parts those are. I had kind of assumed until further confirmation those black bits were in fact covers for them as well.

The only disappointment of the kit is that they cheaped out on the head rather than try to make the vertical part actually swivel :sigh:.

Also is it just me, or is it stating that the extra blank head comes with the Mock Armory and not the Mock itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm more interested in seeing what schizophonic does with his grimoire:

http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2364.html#more

i'm not going to get mine until the crossbone kit comes in and i ship them together :qq:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Finishes up Zaku F2000 a few days prior. Love the look of this thing but man does it have some fragile pieces. The side skirts love to come off along with the heat hawk due to odd mounting.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with old, peeling stickers? Like, decade-old, and somewhat neglected. I'm continuing to touch up some old SD kits and there are some that I'd really like to be down a little better before I topcoat.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

muike posted:

I'm surprised at all the customs already out. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2364.html#more

i'm not going to get mine until the crossbone kit comes in and i ship them together :qq:

The standard barrel? Bah, if you're going to use System Weapon 004, you should go with the big-rear end Anti-Materiel barrel :colbert:.

:awesome:

I'm actually surprised the Grimoire's wrists do swivel vertically on that wrist joint, I half-assumed it was only for decoration.

It's a tragedy that this one wasn't an actual thing in the show. That said, just wait for when the Mock comes out. You just know there'll be a wave of customs to drown out even the Beargguy ones.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zwingley posted:

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with old, peeling stickers? Like, decade-old, and somewhat neglected. I'm continuing to touch up some old SD kits and there are some that I'd really like to be down a little better before I topcoat.

A glue stick should do just fine.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any of y'all live in japan want to buy the yearly 7-11 stuff for me?
That bearguy looks great

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pyronic posted:

I want to see people buying dozens of mocks and just making stupid clones of iconic kits but in mock form.

Like give one a zaku shoulder shield, the commander antenna and paint it Char red.

or give another the V-fin, trim, and fin funnels from a Nu Gundam.

This is no Zaku, boy. It's much worse.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 26, 2014

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I'm going to buy one and put blade fins on the shoulders and call it the Zo'Mock.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The pre-order for BTF's MG ZZ Gundam is now up: http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/store/p179/PRE_ORDER_BTF_MG_1%2F100_ZZ_GUNDAM_EVO_KAI_VERSION.html

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad link.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's working for me. Try going here then clicking View Details.

Also I'm sorry but that still looks awful.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, not really a fan of that ZZ, looks a bit too spindly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually pretty cool with that design despite it being so spindly, it's weird and kind of unique, but I wish there were some comparison shots with some other MG just to get a better idea of its size.

I'd order it, but my upcoming backlog is immense. Any more would break my wallet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm kind of worried about that too since the original conversion kit was based off MG Freedom.

Also it's actually not that much of a deal breaker that it's kind of thin (the base ZZ is actually pretty slender once you take all the stuff off), but that backpack is just horrendous. The ZZ's hugeass backpack is just as iconic to the design as the forehead cannon and they turn it into that sad thing?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It looks like someone tried to make a bishounen version of the ZZ to put into a girls' manga. Like it's gonna have a weird vaguely sexual relationship with another mobile suit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

It looks like someone tried to make a bishounen version of the ZZ to put into a girls' manga. Like it's gonna have a weird vaguely sexual relationship with another mobile suit.

I think you're trying a bit too hard with that one.

Anyways, I have one pre-ordered. Aesthetic tastes aside, there's one thing I think we can all agree on: It'll be a better kit than the current MG ZZ.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

The Muffinlord posted:

Slap on some parts from the PG ZZ Gundam and it can have yaoi hands!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like that zz specifically because it fixes the weird bulgey parts on the legs. I like spindlzz

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I've started working on my Deathscythe Hell EW and I underestimated the amount of time needed to get rid of the nubs properly. I could just use a knife, which I did for most of the inner frame, but after seeing review videos with visible nub marks on some sweet gundams

(that poor Epyon EW :( ), I've decided to take my time sanding and buffing them down. I got a question though. I do plan on spray painting it with a dull coat after I'm done, but I might paint it in the future. Will the dull coat make painting the kit an issue? I'm guessing, at the very least, I'd have to sand off the coat, but I just want to make sure.

Also, I ordered a Turn X, which I'm really excited about building after just seeing its legs. I hope this hobby doesn't get out of hand.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's called a top coat for a reason; it should go on top of all the paint. It's easy enough to remove (just wash it with soapy water and brush it with a toothbrush or something) but I'd still paint first.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
You can paint over a topcoat. The paints you want to use will dictate how you want to go about it. If you're planning on using lacquers like Mr. Color, you will want to remove the topcoat first, so you will likely want to use a mixture of Future and Tamiya Flat Base. That will be the simplest thing to strip off.

If you want to use acrylics, you can safely use Testors Dullcote and paint directly over it.

All that said, if you want to paint it is best to not spray any kind of topcoat first, like BlitzBlast was talking about. Paint works best over primer, and primer works best over bare plastic. You will really have to worry about dust, though, if you plan on waiting for any length of time between when you assemble the model and when you paint it.

My recommendation is to figure out what you're likely to want to paint the model with. If it's something acrylic through an airbrush, you can use Dullcote as an immediate topcoat. If you plan on using spray cans or Mr. Color or enamel Testors Model Masters or something through an airbrush, don't spray a topcoat at all before you paint it. Regardless, before you paint you'll want to wash the model with soapy water first to remove dust and skin oils and anything else the kit could have picked up sitting out.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

JimmyBiskit posted:

Picked up the white Ginkei ship from Ikaruga to match the black Ikaruga I built a month ago. Some progress pictures from today:

I have this and am legit scared of the decaling. I had a very bad experience with some large/long Hasegawa decals that basically didn't want to come off without breaking. A lot.

Don't not post more of the build, I am watching with great interest as to whether I have the skill to make the Ginkei or if I should save myself the trouble and sell it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My Build Burning finally got here! I was glancing at the instructions quickly and I noticed that A32 gets its own panel but without any instructions about what you do with it, at least not that I can read. What's it for? Is it just the piece you use to attach it to an AB2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally The Worst posted:

My Build Burning finally got here! I was glancing at the instructions quickly and I noticed that A32 gets its own panel but without any instructions about what you do with it, at least not that I can read. What's it for? Is it just the piece you use to attach it to an AB2?

Just had a glance at mine. A32 tabs into the two backpack sockets you stick the flame effects into, so you can mount HGBC Booster backpacks on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just had a glance at mine. A32 tabs into the two backpack sockets you stick the flame effects into, so you can mount HGBC Booster backpacks on.

Worrrrd. I kinda want the Powereder Arms so that he can punch someone in the face and also shoot the hell out of then.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Finally got around to ordering my MG Wing Proto Zero, go me. Sadly the order from Amazon is shipping from Japan via a snail, so its gonna be a while. Have to figure out if I'm gonna try painting it in the meantime...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Finally got around to ordering my MG Wing Proto Zero, go me. Sadly the order from Amazon is shipping from Japan via a snail, so its gonna be a while. Have to figure out if I'm gonna try painting it in the meantime...

Always check the list of other sellers when buying stuff like this on Amazon. I ended up paying $1.45 more than the cheapest seller for one of my MGs but it shipped from New Jersey instead of Japan so it was well worth it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Always check the list of other sellers when buying stuff like this on Amazon. I ended up paying $1.45 more than the cheapest seller for one of my MGs but it shipped from New Jersey instead of Japan so it was well worth it.

On checking there was one that had prime shipping for like $5 more. Put in a request for a cancellation with the first order, provided that request goes through will order from the Prime one.

Which means I have less time to figure out whether I want to/should paint it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I hear you, indecision buddy. I'm in the same boat!

My Abigor hasn't arrived yet (it's on a boat!), but since it looks like the it's got the same general issues as the Wing MGs. I'm not anticipating any problems with the kitbash. It's just absolutely going to require paint since the parts are all going to be completely different colors and I want to avoid using black since it's a dominant color on my other models.

I find it helps to decide what type of painting you're doing: are you just looking to touch up the colors to make sure everything's correct? Are you looking to try a complete custom repaint?

If you're doing the second, I find starting with your favorite color (or picking a primary) and then seeking out another color that looks good with it works well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hear you, indecision buddy. I'm in the same boat!

My Abigor hasn't arrived yet (it's on a boat!), but since it looks like the it's got the same general issues as the Wing MGs. I'm not anticipating any problems with the kitbash. It's just absolutely going to require paint since the parts are all going to be completely different colors and I want to avoid using black since it's a dominant color on my other models.

I find it helps to decide what type of painting you're doing: are you just looking to touch up the colors to make sure everything's correct? Are you looking to try a complete custom repaint?

If you're doing the second, I find starting with your favorite color (or picking a primary) and then seeking out another color that looks good with it works well.

More the first, just making sure everything is correct.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Action shot of my second-ever gunpla: Gundam 00.

A god-drat joy to build and pose. The articulation is crazy, the legs and ankles especially.

So my plan of purchases from this point are Grimoire, Mock whenever I can get one, Union Flag, Masurao, Brave (Standard) then Jesta Cannon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Ugh, those stickers. I would suggest that you invest in some sharpie markers for detail work so you don't have to use garbage v-fin/head jewel stickers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I couldn't think of a way to make this more anime than it is without modifications

ginyu force motherfucker

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Ugh, those stickers. I would suggest that you invest in some sharpie markers for detail work so you don't have to use garbage v-fin/head jewel stickers.

I was going to be nice and limit my comments on the loving V-fin stickers to "Whoever thought they were a good idea should have their legs broke".

Good call on the sharpie idea though. I've still to pick up some panel lining markers too anyway, so seems a trip to the art supply store is on the cards.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I was going to be nice and limit my comments on the loving V-fin stickers to "Whoever thought they were a good idea should have their legs broke".

Good call on the sharpie idea though. I've still to pick up some panel lining markers too anyway, so seems a trip to the art supply store is on the cards.

Dick Blick is having a sale until 10/31 :)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

A tip for you: remove the head jewel and color the inside of the part with red. You can do the same thing with green on the clear pieces on 00's limbs/head. You'll avoid getting marker all over your hands and it'll result in a cleaner look.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The HG 00's articulation is amazing, so much so that whenever I build any other post-00 HG kit I just get mad that they couldn't design them to be just as poseable. You figured it out once before! From the looks of it, though, the Build Burning Gundam is the 00's spiritual successor in the poseability department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

00's articulation is almost entirely due to how barebones its design is. An HG isn't getting MG Destiny style sliding armor, so if the design has armor near the joints it's hosed.

• Locked thread