Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why a car and not her van?

Hint: it's because the artist hasn't seen the movie.

Mind you, I wish I hadn't seen it either. It's a terrible, terrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Elaborate.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Am I the only one who, any time I see this poster, thinks "that doesn't look a thing like Winona Ryder"? I look at this and think, like, Demi Moore, because of the way they've done the shadows on her face. Winona, thanks to her eyes and facial structure, has a very distinctive look, which this picture doesn't represent at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Where to start? You're given no chance to engage with any of the characters, none of whom even have names that I recall. Much of the movie is banal, and although that's a side effect of using natural dialogue over scripted for much of the film it's patently obvious when the film goes from one to the other. As a result the soundtrack fails to heighten tension despite its technical proficiency because there's nothing for it to work with. The whole film contains one competent moment of horror, and even that is more disturbing than frightening due to the horrific elements being used as punctuation and the lack of any context to the scenes. Johansson's progressively increasing level of nudity throughout the scenes makes me think Glazer actually knew what a soulless, tedious movie he was making and had to do something to stop people walking out.

Overall, it reminds me a lot of Winding Refn's Drive: a movie that garners some critical acclaim because it has a little style and trades off a famous lead actor going beyond their normal comfort zone, but ultimately proves completely hollow due to the dimensionless characters and a script that serves mostly to justify the scenes rather than tell a story.

I'll give Under The Skin credit for two things, though. The first is the soundtrack, which deserved a better movie. The second is using a real neurofibromatosis patient instead of a make-up job.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Under the Skin is the movie that made me realize the English language can be downright incomprehensible and I'm sorry for anyone learning it as a second language. Also, it's pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I guess I don't see not knowing any of the character's names as a flaw of any kind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It bothered me in Predators for some reason. I knew what their names were because I obsessively followed the flick, but I was surprised no one but Royce and Isebelle gave their name. Maybe Fishburne's character...not sure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I could definitely see being irritated by it in that 70's New Hollywood kinda way.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trump posted:

It was a signature gag get the gently caress out you idiot

Did you also enjoy the minimalist hammer and bullet Drive posters? Or the pink bar of soap in a grey void? What about [thing] in [movie]?

Who's the idiot again?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Man, don't watch Rebecca if you hate not being told a characters name. Or Drive. Or a dozen other movies. It's almost as if people's names not being given or mattering is some kind of thematic device that is used very often...

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
I am Jack's unreliable narrator.

2008 poster by Kent Williams:

Bonus hip take by the 1950's, all of it:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I could definitely see being irritated by it in that 70's New Hollywood kinda way.

Sure. I didn't like Under the Skin, but the character names thing wasn't anywhere near why I didn't care for it. I couldn't see why we needed them, as the film was pretty much told from the perspective of an emotionless Alien. Why would she care who or what the people even are?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

Whenever minimalist fan posters do the single out-of-context item, it's meant as a secret handshake kind of thing. You may have watched Beverly Hills Cop, but I've watched Beverly Hills Cop. Remember that in nerd culture, identifying a reference is more important than appreciating the context.

A good Groundhog Day poster would be a page-a-day calendar with some pages torn off, all Feb 2nd. A bad one would be the smashed clock

Well a smashed clock could also indicate time stopping. Which is slightly different than the same day repeating, but probably close enough for a poster (if done right).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think people freak out too much about minimalist posters that just highlight a certain gag, item, or reference. It's not as if the creators are trying to create a new poster to replace the old one to promote a film before release. They should be treated more like art prints that are playing with a specific reference in the film to be viewed after the fact.

That being said, most of them are abysmal visually anyway, but they shouldn't be dismissed on the grounds that they don't represent a film in its entirety, because that's not what they're setting out to do. Of course, they should never be made the cover of DVDs, but otherwise they can attempt to exist on their own merits.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Am I the only one who, any time I see this poster, thinks "that doesn't look a thing like Winona Ryder"? I look at this and think, like, Demi Moore, because of the way they've done the shadows on her face. Winona, thanks to her eyes and facial structure, has a very distinctive look, which this picture doesn't represent at all.

Well, if it means anything, I've never seen Resurrection or that cover, and when I looked at it I immediately knew it was Ryder before I read your post. Though now that I have, I can't help but fluctuating between Demi Moore and Keanu Reeves.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

actually, it's the best movie of the year no contest.

also, I like the poster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also, I like the poster.

I love that poster. It's a much better for fit for the film than some cartoon drawing of a undressed girl.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have no idea how good a fit that is for the movie, but it is a great example of how proper use of color and form can make even a very cliched concept like "face in the stars" look really fresh and intriguing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I have no idea how good a fit that is for the movie, but it is a great example of how proper use of color and form can make even a very cliched concept like "face in the stars" look really fresh and intriguing.

yeah it's not like it's a particularly original poster but it's eye-catching and pretty and that's really all I need.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also, I like the poster.

Someone hasn't seen Birdman, or Inherent Vice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rawillkill posted:

Someone hasn't seen Birdman, or Inherent Vice

in fairness, I have not. Birdman looks good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I complain a lot about actors with likeness approval having their publicist scrutinize a photo so much they turn into a photoshopped mess.

However it works the other way too when somebody just doesn't give a drat. Yikes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So is it a screencap from the movie or did someone run ahead of them with a smartphone and snap a photo in a parking lot as they were coming back from lunch??

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Al Pacnio needs a shave and a haircut.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kiimo posted:

I complain a lot about actors with likeness approval having their publicist scrutinize a photo so much they turn into a photoshopped mess.

However it works the other way too when somebody just doesn't give a drat. Yikes.

It's not a very good poster but the likenesses look fine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He looks horrifying. I mean sure maybe that's perfect if you really want likeness in its pure form but there's no way this image should have made it onto a poster in my opinion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

He looks horrifying. I mean sure maybe that's perfect if you really want likeness in its pure form but there's no way this image should have made it onto a poster in my opinion.

Well the moving is called The Humbling so maybe that's the point?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

kiimo posted:

Al Pacino looking like Al Pacino in the poster for a movie starring modern-day Al Pacino?
:stonk:

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

kiimo posted:

Real sad that Buck Henry & Michal Zebede haven't won/been nominated for some sort of award, would have really tied that poster together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure I could ever take Greta Gerwig seriously after China, IL.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It finally has an official title.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

muscles like this? posted:

It finally has an official title.

I hate it when they obviously photoshop actors rather than just arrange a photoshoo...oh, oh.

This is the one occasion I'll allow it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Isn't The Rock loving huge? He seems a bit small on that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They probably messed with the sizes a little to get everyone to fit. I don't think Jordana Brewster is that small.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, and here's another poster.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are the Fast & Furious movies even about the cars anymore?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They're extremely about cars, it's just cars jammed into different genres.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think at some point they stopped being about street races and started being about using cars in heists.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Fast Five" was basically Soderbergh's "Ocean's Eleven" with cars, "Fast Six" (or was it "Furious 6"?) was a straight-up globe-hopping action adventure more in the mold of modern Bond. I don't know about the rest of the franchise but those two are pretty fun.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think at some point they stopped being about street races and started being about using cars in heists.

You just described the first movie.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also, I like the poster.

I have a mini one of these posts. It's kinda wrinkled from being moved around, but I do like it, even if I'm not a fan of the flick. Great poster. Would look at again A++