Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I got a T-Mobile prepaid card for use while here in the States and keep getting random calls that are clearly not intended for me. Like, an announcement that my subscription is ready for pickup at pharmacy XYZ and just now got involved in a huge mms conversation about some daycare parent Amanda giving birth to a 6 lbs 13 oz baby boy :stare:

Do they just recycle phone numbers immediately after the original owner cancels/it expires or something?

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think it's got some kind of time out period but it ain't long, a month maybe.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
I'll take a cricket referral. Thanks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

poppingseagull posted:

I'll take a cricket referral. Thanks.

You'll need to PM your First/Last name and email address.

edit: If you don't have PMs, you can email me at forum name at gmail.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 21, 2014

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Hopefully this is a good place for this. I currently have a Nexus 4 with t-mobile's $30 prepaid plan. Work is giving me an iPhone and I want to get down to carrying one phone. At the same time, I'm planning on getting an android head unit for my car and I'm exploring options for data. I thought I saw somewhere in coupons that there was a company that had pay as you go data billed per GB used but I cannot find it anywhere. If I could do this it would be more cost effective as I probably would only be using data for nav and some music streaming in my car. If I'm imagining this thing, I'd probably keep my t mobile plan and tether with call forwarding.

Has anyone heard what I'm talking about or have better ideas?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're thinking of Ting, which requires a Sprint device. (though there may be another one I'm not aware of)

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

I think you're thinking of Ting, which requires a Sprint device. (though there may be another one I'm not aware of)

Thanks, that was the one.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
So I'm looking to switch onto Cricket next week, as I have a new Moto X coming on the 30th. Is there a way to get the activation kit ahead of time? I couldn't find a way to order it without having to enter an IMEI. I know I'm just being impatient but I'm dying to get off of this GS3.

Also, I'll take a referral.

A question on this too: eventually we'll be adding two more lines, can a referral be applied to each of those as well?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ErikTheRed posted:

So I'm looking to switch onto Cricket next week, as I have a new Moto X coming on the 30th. Is there a way to get the activation kit ahead of time? I couldn't find a way to order it without having to enter an IMEI. I know I'm just being impatient but I'm dying to get off of this GS3.

A question on this too: eventually we'll be adding two more lines, can a referral be applied to each of those as well?

Not sure about the IMEI but the referral only applies to the account and original line, not the lines that gets added. You'd have to have them be entirely separate accounts.

Edit: Referral sent!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 24, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You can put it in any IMEI, it doesn't tie anything to your account

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

TraderStav posted:

You can put it in any IMEI, it doesn't tie anything to your account

Awesome, thanks for the information.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
I've tried twice to redeem my referral code, but it keeps saying the Cricket number I'm entering (which is mine) is not an eligible Cricket number.

How long do I have to wait until I can do the referral? I have full service on my phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

carb0nex posted:

I've tried twice to redeem my referral code, but it keeps saying the Cricket number I'm entering (which is mine) is not an eligible Cricket number.

How long do I have to wait until I can do the referral? I have full service on my phone.

Are you putting just the 10 digit number in? I get poo poo from forms once in a while because I throw in a leading 1 by habit.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Are you putting just the 10 digit number in? I get poo poo from forms once in a while because I throw in a leading 1 by habit.

Yep, 10 digit number, my email, and the referral code. It gets submitted, then a day-ish later, I get an email saying it failed. I received the code 10 days ago, so it shouldn't be expired.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

carb0nex posted:

Yep, 10 digit number, my email, and the referral code. It gets submitted, then a day-ish later, I get an email saying it failed. I received the code 10 days ago, so it shouldn't be expired.

It took about three days (and three tries of the code,) after I put my phone on the network before it accepted it. When it did, I got an email almost immediately saying they accepted the referral.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

carb0nex posted:

It wouldn't hurt to open a chat with support. Most have been able to redeem within hours of activating.

ErikTheRed posted:

They do do 2 day shipping typically so you shouldn't need to wait long. You could open the other lines individually and then after 60 days merge them.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

SB35 posted:

It wouldn't hurt to open a chat with support. Most have been able to redeem within hours of activating.

I just finished talking to a support person and he says I had to redeem the referral code before activating my account. The referral requires a Cricket number, and a Cricket number requires an active SIM card and phone number.

Does the guy who referred me need to do something on his end? I don't know. :(

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

I just finished talking to a support person and he says I had to redeem the referral code before activating my account. The referral requires a Cricket number, and a Cricket number requires an active SIM card and phone number.

Does the guy who referred me need to do something on his end? I don't know. :(

The support person is clearly uninformed. Try again. You literally cannot redeem the referral until AFTER you activate your Cricket account. Jesus, sounds like support is going steadily down hill...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anybody in this thread have any experience or advice about signal boosters? I love cricket, except when I'm in my basement at home :( there's very little service down there, to the point where texts will sometimes come in an hour late and routinely fail to send. My new Moto G seems to have a much harder time than my old Razr M in this regard.

Anybody got a link to a good one?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anybody in this thread have any experience or advice about signal boosters? I love cricket, except when I'm in my basement at home :( there's very little service down there, to the point where texts will sometimes come in an hour late and routinely fail to send. My new Moto G seems to have a much harder time than my old Razr M in this regard.

Not sure if they require a service contract with the carrier but I think you can get an ATT femtocell for like $200. Boosters/repeaters start at nearly 400 though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

Not sure if they require a service contract with the carrier but I think you can get an ATT femtocell for like $200. Boosters/repeaters start at nearly 400 though.

I was thinking about the att femtocell route, but wasn't sure if they needed a contract or any sort of provisioning. Just sucks, especially since my old Razr M didn't really have as much of a problem :(

Moto G otherwise is leaps and bounds better though.

E: some quick searching suggest that the att femtocell only works with phones that are actually on att and not mvnos.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 28, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just got Cricket on my new phone (Moto X) and it's probably just the phone, but it gets exceptional signal (way better than my M7). Fast too. The 10GB of data per month is an amazing deal. Real glad I went with Cricket over MetroPCS.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Oh yeah, I have no doubt that it's more the phone than the service. Especially because my old phone worked much better in my basement than the moto G. It's just that the moto G is so much better in every single other way that there's no way I'd go back to my Razr M now :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been kicking around buying one of these for a while (its been on my Amazon wish list for the better part of a year,) I have a Verizon phone through work but their signal has slowly been dropping at my house since I moved in, and now I'm to the point where even when I'm outside it seems like a stiff breeze interferes with my signal. Since I'm part of a massive corporate account and my employer's wireless services group won't supply me with or even help me provision a femtocell if I were to buy one out of pocket that seems like my only option.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

SouthLAnd posted:

I just got Cricket on my new phone (Moto X) and it's probably just the phone, but it gets exceptional signal (way better than my M7). Fast too. The 10GB of data per month is an amazing deal. Real glad I went with Cricket over MetroPCS.

My girlfriend's nokia 630 or whatever from cricket gets much better signal in our rural rear end house than my HTC one (dev edition) on straight talk. I was thinking of swapping from ST to cricket finally. I'm hopeful that I'd get better service in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not too optimistic.

Probably just an HTC thing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Geoj posted:

I've been kicking around buying one of these for a while (its been on my Amazon wish list for the better part of a year,) I have a Verizon phone through work but their signal has slowly been dropping at my house since I moved in, and now I'm to the point where even when I'm outside it seems like a stiff breeze interferes with my signal. Since I'm part of a massive corporate account and my employer's wireless services group won't supply me with or even help me provision a femtocell if I were to buy one out of pocket that seems like my only option.

Yeah, it's probably my only option as well. Didn't know these things were that much money, though :negative:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Didn't know these things were that much money, though :negative:

Its really no worse than buying a femtocell from whichever carrier (unless you can threaten/bluff your way into having them comp one for you), although from the reviews on that unit you'll probably need a better external antenna than the one it comes with unless you already have a fairly strong signal outside.

e: also note - this only covers voice, if you need data too that's a separate $300 booster.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 28, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Geoj posted:

Its really no worse than buying a femtocell from whichever carrier (unless you can threaten/bluff your way into having them comp one for you), although from the reviews on that unit you'll probably need a better external antenna than the one it comes with unless you already have a fairly strong signal outside.

e: also note - this only covers voice, if you need data too that's a separate $300 booster.

My signal outside is strong, and I only need voice (I have wifi indoors, and am just concerned about missing phone calls/texts.

It's really only the basement that has the problem. Guess I know what to start saving up for :v:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Looks like AT&T may have accidentally leaked their plans to move the $60 Gophone plan to "unlimited" data: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1849549-GoPhone-Smartphone-Plan-with-unlimited-data

Hofo members got some screenshots showing the $60 plan getting unlimited data with the first 2.5Gig at high speed ala T-Mobile. Supposedly throttled at 512k after that. AT&T has since pulled the page but supposedly this plan goes live on Nov. 12th. Interesting if true.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Isn't that still worse than Criket?

Unless GoPhone isn't limited to 8 mbps or whatever.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TLG James posted:

It is not limited to 8mb/s and 512kbps is much better than Cricket's throttled speeds of ~128kbps. The interesting part is how that will trickle down to the other MVNOs

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

It is not limited to 8mb/s and 512kbps is much better than Cricket's throttled speeds of ~128kbps. The interesting part is how that will trickle down to the other MVNOs

The more interesting part is the lawsuit that the FTC hit AT&T with last week about throttling when they claim something is unlimited.

Granted, it probably won't get far as they tried the same thing against Verizon and I believe they just threw money at it all until it went away but...yeah.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/10/ftc-says-att-has-misled-millions-consumers-unlimited-data

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The more interesting part is the lawsuit that the FTC hit AT&T with last week about throttling when they claim something is unlimited.

Granted, it probably won't get far as they tried the same thing against Verizon and I believe they just threw money at it all until it went away but...yeah.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/10/ftc-says-att-has-misled-millions-consumers-unlimited-data

Even more interesting is this article and FCC filing that reveals the rates MVNOs are paying for data as well as what Tmo is paying for roaming data. The TLDR here is that MVNOs are running on razor thin margins.
TF Article

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TLG James posted:

Its worse than cricket in that you can get 10gb for $55 right now of 8mbps on cricket or 3gb for $45. I guess if you need more than 10gb and can live with 512kbps for most of that its a deal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Athenry posted:

Its worse than cricket in that you can get 10gb for $55 right now of 8mbps on cricket or 3gb for $45. I guess if you need more than 10gb and can live with 512kbps for most of that its a deal.

Cricket is "unlimited" as well. You're throttled after your allotted data is up just like with GoPhone.

The major differences are you get more GB on Cricket (10GB max) and no throttle on GoPhone (no 8mbps cap).

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cricket is "unlimited" as well. You're throttled after your allotted data is up just like with GoPhone.

The major differences are you get more GB on Cricket (10GB max) and no throttle on GoPhone (no 8mbps cap).

If you follow hofo members experiences, some have seen extended outages on Cricket. There was recently one where LTE was affected for several days and there have been several large outages going back to the AIO days. I was affected by the latest LTE outage and switching to 4g only "fixed" it until cricket ultimately resolved it. I've also noticed that in areas of weak signal the proxy that does the throttle becomes a liability. I will not be able to get data in or out but my wife's identical phone on GoPhone will be unaffected. Take these anecdotes for what they are. Cricket is paying my bill for the next two months so I'm sticking with them until then. After that, ill reevaluate what Gophone has to offer. I guess that's the best part of this whole prepaid deal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

If you follow hofo members experiences, some have seen extended outages on Cricket. There was recently one where LTE was affected for several days and there have been several large outages going back to the AIO days. I was affected by the latest LTE outage and switching to 4g only "fixed" it until cricket ultimately resolved it. I've also noticed that in areas of weak signal the proxy that does the throttle becomes a liability. I will not be able to get data in or out but my wife's identical phone on GoPhone will be unaffected. Take these anecdotes for what they are. Cricket is paying my bill for the next two months so I'm sticking with them until then. After that, ill reevaluate what Gophone has to offer. I guess that's the best part of this whole prepaid deal.

The problem is, outages happen on pretty much any MVNO. While GoPhone may not experience outages now, they can and do happen. This is because MVNOs don't really have priority on the networks they piggyback on.

Cricket's outages come from it being so popular (which is one reason why AT&T bought and merged Cricket in the first place). That number may drop, however, as we get closer to 2015 and people wonder why their CDMA phones don't work anymore on Cricket and get pissed because they're required to buy a new phone for GSM.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

e: thanks!

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

How common are outages on Cricket and when do they usually occur? I've only had their service a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never had a problem. I've had cricket since July or august. I got all the data I needed at the us grand Prix with over 100,000 other people using their phones.