Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if what bsd is saying is true then how does swap/suspend/hibernate work on os x?

the fixed partition is needed for kdump not suspend/hibernate

kdump is running after the kernel has already crashed. that would be a really bad time to touch filesystem data structures, so it's important to already have a fixed swap location before it runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only time you should ever touch swap, ever, is to dump kernel memory to disk. either for debugging, or for suspend/resume. this requires a fixed swap partition of known size to be immediately available w/out any code executing to create it

any other use of swap is a perversity.

it is not my fault your desktop is seriously loving hosed up. that is a problem with your employer not a problem with the sane defaults established by your distribution's installer

or if you cj'd OpenVZ stacks during the time there was that kernel bug that wouldn't free swap, and you'd have to do the swapoff/swapon dance while people complained they can't SSH to the box. THANKS FOR YOUR OPTIMIZED KERNEL DICK HOLES!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

OPTIMIZED KERNEL DICK HOLES

mods? :ohdear:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Winkle-Daddy posted:

or if you cj'd OpenVZ stacks during the time there was that kernel bug that wouldn't free swap, and you'd have to do the swapoff/swapon dance while people complained they can't SSH to the box. THANKS FOR YOUR OPTIMIZED KERNEL DICK HOLES!

virtuozzo is an abomination

if i ever have to cat /proc/user_beancounters again it will be too soon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if what bsd is saying is true then how does swap/suspend/hibernate work on os x?

uses files

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
sorry i meant to ask : can os x produce kernel dumps? is the regular os x's kernel debuggable?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only time you should ever touch swap, ever, is to dump kernel memory to disk. either for debugging, or for suspend/resume. this requires a fixed swap partition of known size to be immediately available w/out any code executing to create it

any other use of swap is a perversity.

it is not my fault your desktop is seriously loving hosed up. that is a problem with your employer not a problem with the sane defaults established by your distribution's installer

as usual your reading comprehension is creatively stupid, bsd stymie

also lol that u think the only purpose of swap is to dump kernel memory. even in environments where all the users are theoretically clueful, the real world is imperfect. having swap as a backstop prevents terrible problems like losing a week's worth of simulation (aka a week's worth of deadline) to the oom killer when some rear end in a top hat doesn't check whether it's safe to start up another sim on the same compute server

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sorry i meant to ask : can os x produce kernel dumps? is the regular os x's kernel debuggable?

yes, it can dump over tcp/ip. it also supports two-machine debugging where gdb on one system uses firewire remote dma to debug the live kernel on the other

sports
Sep 1, 2012
most of the current programming talent goes to Apple to fix errors older than themselves.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

even in environments where all the users are theoretically clueful, the real world is imperfect. having swap as a backstop prevents terrible problems like losing a week's worth of simulation (aka a week's worth of deadline) to the oom killer when some rear end in a top hat doesn't check whether it's safe to start up another sim on the same compute server

lol

you use swap as a backstop because you have no batch processing system. great job, guys

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think i have figured it out: bobhoward works in the late 1990s

• his unix workstation has 4G of ram and relies on swap to not crash

• he runs critical "simulations" on shared unix systems without any meaningful job control or dispatch

• he's very excited about features in apple's horrible 1980s unix

how does the internet reach from us to your time, bob

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think i have figured it out: bobhoward works in the late 1990s

• his unix workstation has 4G of ram and relies on swap to not crash

• he runs critical "simulations" on shared unix systems without any meaningful job control or dispatch

• he's very excited about features in apple's horrible 1980s unix

how does the internet reach from us to your time, bob

sounds more like you don't live in the real world but OK

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Captain Foo posted:

none of us do. we live in the 'pos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i live in a world where operations guys get paged immediately if a server hits swap

because that is an error condition

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
googling for linux dynamic swap shows something like 3 projects that do this, apparently.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
2014, year of Linux on the DESKTOP, where noone in their right mind gives / should give a poo poo about swap or ram utilization.

BobHoward posted:

and it's actually dumb everywhere, not just desktop

i'll give u a real world non desktop example so u can comprehend.
shhhh

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i live in a world where operations guys get paged immediately if a server hits swap

sshhhhhhhhhhhhh

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Is it cold in your ivory tower BSD stymie ?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jre posted:

Is it cold in your ivory tower BSD stymie ?

if it gets cold i call facilities and a nice man from Johnson Controls adjusts the HVAC to suit my needs

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

The solution is to buy more ram haha

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

:xd:

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

I hope you all progress far enough in your funny computing careers that you reach the point of nirvana where you no longer give a poo poo about arguing over whether your devs do or don't get paged when a server hits swap holy Christ you are all spergs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:psyduck:

if you have one hundred and twenty eight gigabytes of random access memory in your personal computer architecture based server and you hit swap then you have some serious problems

also loving lol you're saying a SIGBUS or a SIGSEGV would wipe out an entire week's worth of computing work? like seriously? you have absolutely no way to checkpoint this poo poo to disk?

"doctor it hurts when i hammer myself repeatedly in the balls"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
anyway as for my laptop uuh i don't want to flashburn my ssd when swapping and even with this 2009-era c2d piece of crap with 4gb of ram my computing needs seem to be fully suited without any sort of swap. i can see how cad or video editing or poo poo like that might actually need some decent amounts of ram tho but i mean at that point you probably would want IT to get your needs professionally suited for you

and yeah swap files work fine anyway and have done since like ever

not if you use btrfs mind you but btrfs is bad anyway imo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mr Dog posted:

anyway as for my laptop uuh i don't want to flashburn my ssd when swapping and even with this 2009-era c2d piece of crap with 4gb of ram my computing needs seem to be fully suited without any sort of swap. i can see how cad or video editing or poo poo like that might actually need some decent amounts of ram tho but i mean at that point you probably would want IT to get your needs professionally suited for you

and yeah swap files work fine anyway and have done since like ever

not if you use btrfs mind you but btrfs is bad anyway imo

years ago i used my eee pc 701 with no swap as i had installed 4GB of ram which was coincidentally the size of the SSD in the laptop and it suited my needs fine

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PIGEOTO posted:

I hope you all progress far enough in your funny computing careers that you reach the point of nirvana where you no longer give a poo poo about arguing over whether your devs do or don't get paged when a server hits swap holy Christ you are all spergs

spergs? in MY yospos!?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i thought osx used the filesystem, an idiot choice, but i was wrong

osx actually has a semi-sane design. you configure a second dump server on the network and it writes over the network. a crude solution but it should work ok.

(what happens when i need to work on a network driver crash? linux ameliorates this stuff by having kdump execute a second kernel with un-crashed drivers)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

:psyduck:

if you have one hundred and twenty eight gigabytes of random access memory in your personal computer architecture based server and you hit swap then you have some serious problems

also loving lol you're saying a SIGBUS or a SIGSEGV would wipe out an entire week's worth of computing work? like seriously? you have absolutely no way to checkpoint this poo poo to disk?

lol if u think eda cad tools are always great about checkpointing etc. welcome to the world of being an end user who(se employer) pays huge amounts of money for the privilege of using software that is poo poo

(okay this is everyone's world but it is especially true in my field)

lol that nbsd thinks small companies in shaky condition (i'm no longer employed there due to corporate existential crisis :smith:) even have an on-call server ops team

lol that every time i post people keep ignoring the point which is that the most correct way to solve this problem (and no matter how much u think its not a real problem its still something os designers must worry about) is to use a simple technology from the stone age of computing

u wouldn't accept static allocation of ram in a general purpose operation system why accept static allocation of disk for swap

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BobHoward posted:

why accept static allocation of disk for swap

patches welcome etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BobHoward posted:

u wouldn't accept static allocation of ram

lol someone never used basically any open source hypervisor

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

When I was an RHEL sysadmin, I could never ever figure out why exactly 128mb of swap started being used within 24 hours of a reboot. There was always at least 4GB of ram free. Considering every kernel errata for RHEL was novella length I figured it would be one of life's great mysteries.

I envied the windows admin team. Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, Reboot. Fourth reboot didn't work? Call Microsoft.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

open source hypervisor

n-n-nnn-n-n-no dont

pram
Jun 10, 2001
vm.swappiness you moron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

When I was an RHEL sysadmin, I could never ever figure out why exactly 128mb of swap started being used within 24 hours of a reboot. There was always at least 4GB of ram free. Considering every kernel errata for RHEL was novella length I figured it would be one of life's great mysteries.

I envied the windows admin team. Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, Reboot. Fourth reboot didn't work? Call Microsoft.

incidentally this is why you monitor swapin/swapout rates and not swap usage directly

there are innocuous ways to misconfigure a server that will cause small amounts of swap to be used, but it doesn't matter because rates will be 0: long-lived files in a tmpfs, vm.swappiness set too high and a long-lived app wires memory it doesn't access often etc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

paged... swap... I GET IT

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

lol if u think eda cad tools are always great about checkpointing etc. welcome to the world of being an end user who(se employer) pays huge amounts of money for the privilege of using software that is poo poo

(okay this is everyone's world but it is especially true in my field)

lol that nbsd thinks small companies in shaky condition (i'm no longer employed there due to corporate existential crisis :smith:) even have an on-call server ops team

lol that every time i post people keep ignoring the point which is that the most correct way to solve this problem (and no matter how much u think its not a real problem its still something os designers must worry about) is to use a simple technology from the stone age of computing

u wouldn't accept static allocation of ram in a general purpose operation system why accept static allocation of disk for swap

i meant the guy who was doing week-long compute cluster simulations with no way to recover from a SIGSEGV or whatever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRIU

this may be of interest to that person btw

(still can't believe this insane poo poo exists)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Mr Dog posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I solved my performance issues by moving my swap file to a RAM disk

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

More ram, haha