Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and, and, the nest smoke detector that "quiets down with a wave", so if you burn the roast and it goes off you can just wave at it and it stops beeping -- well that one turns out there's a bug where if you wave at it enough it will get locked in some kind of loop that prevents it from going off at all, so don't make too many quick motions around it if you want it to, you know, alert you to smoke

but hey it's wi fi connected so it's clearly way better than a little ionization chamber connected to a transistor and a buzzer right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

and, and, the nest smoke detector that "quiets down with a wave", so if you burn the roast and it goes off you can just wave at it and it stops beeping -- well that one turns out there's a bug where if you wave at it enough it will get locked in some kind of loop that prevents it from going off at all, so don't make too many quick motions around it if you want it to, you know, alert you to smoke

but hey it's wi fi connected so it's clearly way better than a little ionization chamber connected to a transistor and a buzzer right

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont even own a nest op

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

theadder posted:

i dont even own a nest op

I wish you did so when a fire broke out you would die and stop posting!!!!!'nnnnnn

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did the smoke from ur ears activate ur nest

posted at 2:19 from my retinal imac

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

alternately, you can use a normal digital thermostat like the basic honeywell one i have that lets you just explicitly program the waking temperature, daytime temp, evening and night, and do the same thing with a weekend setting, and after ten minutes of screwing with it the first time to get it programmed you never have to touch it again and it works the way it's supposed to. the one i have even has one of the nest's "killer features" where it figures out how long after the furnace goes on it takes for the house to reach that temperature, and then in the future it will bring the furnace on the correct amount of time in advance so it hits the right temp on time. my cheap little honeywell thermostat already does that.

I bought one because explicitly programming a thermostat with the awful little buttons they have is a pain in the dick compared to having it make a best effort and then adjusting it from an iPad or computer

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gonna filter on my posts itt and count how many balls i've dropped

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

6 pages worth. lmao. :suicide:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

and, and, the nest smoke detector that "quiets down with a wave", so if you burn the roast and it goes off you can just wave at it and it stops beeping --

when are ppl going to figure out that gestures are rear end??? dont gesture people

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I heard they were adding better 2d support to ue4. I have a free year of that through that github thing and I'm a 3dpd. did they get around to that yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that might be the paper 2d thing? I think it got out of "experimental" but that's all I (think) I know

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

3 dimensional pig disgusting??

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

no ue4 is cool but I'm a programmer not an artist

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

3 dimensional pig disgusting??

4d3d3d3

Werthog 95 posted:

gonna filter on my posts itt and count how many balls i've dropped

still waiting for ole righty, eh?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

no ue4 is cool but I'm an autist not an artist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nothing has released my autism the extent
of ue4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I couldn't color inside the lines until 4th grade you think I can make 3d models???

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i can carbonate anything. do you need something carbonated????!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
seriously i will carbonate you so hard....

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

kwinkles posted:

i can carbonate anything. do you need something carbonated????!

coul dyou carbonate me greg?

e: also, do you just get welding CO2 or what

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bobbilljim posted:

coul dyou carbonate me greg?

e: also, do you just get welding CO2 or what

yes i will get co2 from a welding shop,
starting tomorrow. right now it is empty. but tomorrow: faaaaaarts

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
poop from a butt. fart.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I have the jew version of this contraption and it works p ok but the plastic drink bottles say they have expired. do you think they will explode when i fill them??

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Finally. I have half a can of leftover coke that's gone flat, that I'd been keeping for just this occasion

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
thanks Raluek, for the link to the thermostat wiring guide

got it hooked back up

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cC8M0xHzvo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

syscall girl posted:

thanks Raluek, for the link to the thermostat wiring guide

got it hooked back up

Nice!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LOL

* injects CO2 then immediately releases the pressure and opens it up instead of giving the CO2 time to dissolve in the liquid *
"Oi, guvna! It's flat as flat can be!"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

I couldn't color inside the lines until 4th grade you think I can make 3d models???

havent you seen sceenshots of my game. do you think theres anything difficult or complicated about the poo poo ive' created (its a rhetorical question and the answer is no, its the poo poo the kids who fail 3d modelling 101 make)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
smoke weed every day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no weed is bad for you the real advice is "eat mushrooms every week" that's actally good yor

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

no weed is bad for you the real advice is "eat mushrooms every week" that's actally good yor

bro i can't do serotonin drugs ok. i gotta stick to weed. therefore, weed every day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sorry for your lots man but my advice sticks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

havent you seen sceenshots of my game. do you think theres anything difficult or complicated about the poo poo ive' created (its a rhetorical question and the answer is no, its the poo poo the kids who fail 3d modelling 101 make)

well i do know how to make beveled cubes in lightwave...

(im not kidding about the drawing inside the lines thing, i have some motor disorder that makes precise movements difficult so my handwriting is garbage and i can't draw.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh yeah they did add more templates to UE4 4.5 and one of them (top-down vehicle controlled by wasd with separate gun controlled by arrow keys) is perfect for what i'm trying to do

uhhhh also it's the FUTURE and the BAD GUYS took over so everything is dark and made of neon and uhhh all the buildings in the FUTURE CITY are cubes and other primitives (this is a trick so you can't see any details on my 1997-quality models)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not that i want to tell u what 2 do but if your concern is that 2d would be easier than 3d because of *~*skills*~* youre wrong, 2d would be harder imo because you can't rely on modern rendering engines to make your lovely models look top notch

i mean

if you look closely you'll see i use gently caress all trianlges. its straight edges and loving cubes with a bevels with no curves! in fact, the only trick is to go out of your way to tunr off smoothing i your 3d program becasue if the engine tries to "smooth" things (like you would with high poly) yuou'll see just how tragic it is. the models are bullshit, its the rendering engine, the physics engine and the code-less blueprints that allow me to do anything at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

well i do know how to make beveled cubes in lightwave...

(im not kidding about the drawing inside the lines thing, i have some motor disorder that makes precise movements difficult so my handwriting is garbage and i can't draw.)

i use blender and 99% of the tools in blender let you specify whatever by entering numbers into the keyboard! whichi i do bevause i have aspergers and when i bevel my cube for example i do it freehand to get it to look right, but then look at the number and round it to close number! so bevel is always like 0.1 units on a 1 unit cube, or 0.01 or whatever

OR to make the bent looking things i literally use a tool that randomises poo poo

if you have even a slight eye for taste you could make something that looks like that. and its not like it looks great like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAAPTiuFdwU
the poo poo eople like this are pulling out of the same engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

(this is a trick so you can't see any details on my 1997-quality models)

im barely* using more triangles than that amiga game on my models. 1997 is advanced man

(also if that screenshot above was made with decent rendering engine it would look fine, you know? the budgetness is from the lack of lighting and resolution, NOT the 3d models)

*well maybe double or a bit more, but less than quake 1 or whastever (per model at least, not maybe over the whole level) but you get my point im sure

e: wireframe of my ship

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 28, 2014