Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh man, this continuity.

Everything makes sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe the treachery of HEAD CHIN NECK guy

I feel so betrayed

E: BUTTS

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Jesus

McGucket's a pretty tragic character.

Also it looks like (the Big Spoiler) the big spoiler was fake, after all?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
That was amazing. A+, would plot episode again.

Some random observations:

- Fiddleford made the Bill hand gesture at the end of the memory video
- Were the agents in this episode? I assume they're a super elusive cameo again
- Did Stanford know about the Blindeye?
- "I'm not actually laid back! I'm, like, super stressed! Have you seen my family?!"
- omggggg more info on the Stargate thing

And to me, this episode all but confirms that Stanford's brother Stanley] is the author. Unless Alex decides to plot twist us again just because.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Trailer for the next episode.

November 10th. Looks pretty good, too. That continuity, man.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

There's a fan theory going around that Stan's notebook and coffee mug fall from the stargate into an alternate world in Rick and Morty.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
That had more twists than I expected. I didn't expect them to completely defeat the Society, or that McGucket himself founded it. I should have realized that a complex piece of machinery like the memory eraser had to be his handiwork. He probably built the stargate, too.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

In Old Man McGucket's first appearance he built a giant robot, and he gave Dipper chemicals for changing his voice. I love how much sense it makes that he was a scientist all along.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
We're probably getting a Wendy's family issues episode later. Wendy and Mabel's interactions were pretty funny in general.

Does the defeat of the blind eye mean that gravity falls citizens will actually remember some of the weird poo poo they've seen?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Friends Are Evil posted:

There's a fan theory going around that Stan's notebook and coffee mug fall from the stargate into an alternate world in Rick and Morty.

I just checked and yep, that's legit. :stare:

e: My dad likes both shows and was quite amused by this also.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 28, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

Fiddleford, huh.
Fiddleford Hadron.
I guess the stargate device has an official name: The Large Fiddleford Collider.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Acne Rain posted:

We're probably getting a Wendy's family issues episode later. Wendy and Mabel's interactions were pretty funny in general.

I dunno in an interview Alex Hirsch mentioned that one of the episode ideas discussed by the creative team was an episode focused on Wendy and Manly Dan camping in the woods but that the idea was turned down. This was season one though, so maybe there's a chance now.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Goddamn, wasn't expecting all of that. I had some Adventure Time flashbacks with the McGucket video diary, but in the best possible way.

Top notch episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

By the way, the other "important tubes" were labeled Preston Northwest Memories and Jeffrey Cannock Memories. There's one for Mrs. Gleeful and one for Pacifica in one of the random piles.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Goddamn, that was a good episode.

Does anybody else think that the man in the first flashback wore a hat just like Dipper's?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I can't think of anything new to say. Great episode, so glad we got some answers.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Awesome episode. And thank goodness McGucket wasn't the author, I hated that theory for being way too obvious.

The appearance of the Hooded Figures who have been controlling the town (or at least its memories) also have me convinced that Gravity Falls is Night Vale's baby brother city.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

"Who?" is Alex Hirsch, isn't it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nameless Pete posted:

"Who?" is Alex Hirsch, isn't it?

:stare:

I....I think you're right.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But who is the 'hates us' girl?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pick posted:

I just checked and yep, that's legit. :stare:

e: My dad likes both shows and was quite amused by this also.

This is the best thing I've ever seen. At least today. Holy poo poo.

I love these cartoon creators are all friends with each other.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

pksage posted:

- Were the agents in this episode? I assume they're a super elusive cameo again

edit: Also, here's this episode's cyphered message:
GIDEON’S TANTRUMS, MISSPELLED TATTOOS,

A FEAR OF WITCHES, A, LIFE OF REGRET,

SHANDRA’S REJECTIONS, SOCIETY’S VIEWS

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT THEY TRY TO FORGET

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 28, 2014

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Sweet episode, although I do wonder how Dipper and Mable managed to avoid the blind eye group for so long.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

TheFattestPat posted:

Sweet episode, although I do wonder how Dipper and Mable managed to avoid the blind eye group for so long.

Probably Stan. Stan probably knows about this group, and that is part of the reason he takes the shyster role.

Though, now with the group gone, the agents are going to find what they were looking for right?

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

But who is the 'hates us' girl?

I've got a feeling that's the lady in the Summerween shop at the start of that episode. From memory she yelled at them all because they were going crazy in the store, then Stan paid for what they bought with 'Stan Bucks' instead of real money.

EDIT: Yep...http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Summerween_worker

EDIT: Also 'EXPLODED' is the guy from this genuinely disturbing 'Dippers guide to the unexplained' short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYVI5Ugz44

Hoopy Frood fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 28, 2014

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

TheFattestPat posted:

Who's to say the Pines haven't run across them yet? :tinfoil::tinfoil:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The way I figure it, the blind eye either wipes the memories of people who want to forget (at least at first) maybe they still offer this to people, but they also try to keep the secrets secret, Susan was screaming and making a racket and tried to call the police, so they stopped her from doing that, but Dipper, for the most part, hasn't really done anything to draw attention to himself or the mysteries he's looking into. Except for those suited guys, so that kinda blows that theory out of the water.

So yeah, I dunno, plot holes, but a fun episode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Friends Are Evil posted:

This is great. I went to go watch a video of it just to see if it was really legit. I had to rewind a bunch of times before actually seeing it, that poo poo goes by SUPER fast.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I saw Blind Ivan and immediately thought of Herr Starr:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Asgerd posted:

I saw Blind Ivan and immediately thought of Herr Starr:

Improper use of inverted commas, Dipper!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

interesting that if bill hadn't busted the laptop, mabel would have never spotted the mcgucket chip, leading to the events of this ep. kind of a big oversight for such an all-knowing triangle

unless this was all part of his plan :tinfoil:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Laptop probably would have explained everything, all they found out is one more person who was NOT the writer. Mcgucket probably will not remember who for a long while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For all they know, that laptop only had information regarding the creation of the shape-shifter. It could have helped them a ton or not much, no way to tell.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Feranon posted:

interesting that if bill hadn't busted the laptop, mabel would have never spotted the mcgucket chip, leading to the events of this ep. kind of a big oversight for such an all-knowing triangle

unless this was all part of his plan :tinfoil:
Maybe Bill Cipher does have to fulfill his end of deals he makes with people. Dipper asked for Bill's help unlocking the laptop, and the very first thing Bill did was smashing it open to reveal that chip. He did exactly as promised, he just chose to do it in a way that would be a complete pain in the rear end and probably not noticed... but that's not his problem.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Some people have pointed out that according to the ciphers on Sock Opera, Bill's main goal is to make abnormality normal, and chaos to reign.

The first step to doing that is making sure people notice the strangeness of Gravity Falls.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

:tviv:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe the treachery of HEAD CHIN NECK guy

I feel so betrayed
I feel the same way, but I guess we just have to forgive and forget :downsrim:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I really want to know how this came about. These two shows coordinating on this kind of thing is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I really want to know how this came about. These two shows coordinating on this kind of thing is fantastic.

The VA for Blendin works on Rick and Morty iirc.

• Locked thread