Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PIGEOTO posted:

More ram, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fuckin lol at 4 gb in a developer desktop

you poor bastard

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

incidentally this is why you monitor swapin/swapout rates and not swap usage directly

That is why I didn't pester Red Hat. Sar showed no actual swapping. It just sat there, unused, bugging the poo poo out of me every time I manually ran free.

RHEL 3. The good (bad) old days.

Cool.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

That is why I didn't pester Red Hat. Sar showed no actual swapping. It just sat there, unused, bugging the poo poo out of me every time I manually ran free.

so you had no sign whatsoever of a problem

you just wanted to sperg out about a number in tool output

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in a thread where we all sperg about words in tool output (its u)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

in a thread where we all sperg about words in tool output (its u)

lol

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
lot of server janitoring going on in this desktop thread

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i live in a world where operations guys get paged immediately if a server hits swap

because that is an error condition

- Notorious b.s.d.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

lot of server janitoring going on in this desktop thread

Asperger's Syndrome FTW

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

i live in a world where operations guys get paged immediately if a server hits swap

- Notorious b.s.d.

as mentioned you should be monitoring swap rate

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Handlebarred ad agency Mac-guy 'creatives' were insufferable enough, and now they're being joined by the worst BSD-lords. Between this and HTML5/Node.js buttholes, I don't wanna work in computers anymore. :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Captain Pike posted:

Handlebarred ad agency Mac-guy 'creatives' were insufferable enough, and now they're being joined by the worst BSD-lords. Between this and HTML5/Node.js buttholes, I don't wanna work in computers anymore. :(

lol at wanting to work in computers in the first place

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bsd owns (as in: osx, not actually bsd which is dead (netcraft confirms))

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

osx is the worst bsd

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias posted:

osx is the worst bsd

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
all bsd is pretty terrible in general

sysv supremacy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all bsd is pretty terrible in general

systemd supremacy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Captain Pike posted:

come join us in embedded systems!

we have bad compilers and worse hardware!

thursday night is open mic improv comedy errata sheet readings night

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Please rename this thread to swapfile.avi

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Fib posted:

Please rename this thread to swapfile.avi
that would also be a good yospos username

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

that would also be a good yospos username

i'm reasonably sure ozma gave that to someone last year

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

keyvin posted:

- Notorious b.s.d.

that's a really big fuckin problem
your app running on the jvm is likely making GBS threads itself at this point and either you handle it now or you handle it 3am when it goes hard down because you're infinitely GCing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wish ur posts would be gc'd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

why do you think they're in this thread?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Back to desktop computing:

btrfs, the hot new filesystem that takes journaling to the extreme, doesn't support swap files (but you can create a loop device on a file and use that, but I don't think that would work with kdump). With the rate of btrfs adoption in default desktop installs, I don't think we're gonna get dynamic swapfiles anytime soon.

Personally, I think just having one or two gigs of swap space and reacting if the desktop is dog slow is the best solution.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

kittenkicker posted:

and reacting if the desktop is dog slow

format

install windows

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
a friend just let me know he installed Fedora 21 on a mbp retina. he said it works really loving well. i have asked no follow up questions. another linux laptop success. 2015 is looking good as year of the linux on the laptop.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

congratulate him on installing the best os on the best laptop

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kittenkicker posted:

btrfs, the hot new filesystem that takes journaling to the extreme, doesn't support swap files (but you can create a loop device on a file and use that, but I don't think that would work with kdump). With the rate of btrfs adoption in default desktop installs, I don't think we're gonna get dynamic swapfiles anytime soon.

yeah that 0% uptake rate is really gonna change the direction of linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

congratulate him on installing the best os on the best laptop

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't care much for btrfs actually

it's been in development for like seven years and it's still not considered stable

it merges a whole bunch of layers into one soupy mess, which seem like they could be solved just as effectively using discard-aware lvm and ext4

elaborate and fragile on-disk data structures with a shitton of invariants that absolutely have to hold all for the purpose of minimising seeking aren't a worthwhile tradeoff in the age of ssds. for server applications with big rotating platter hdds you'll have a database type thing that carves out a massive chunk of disk and manages it in an application-specific way anyway

as a matter of fact i'm shifting over to thinking that runit is a better way of accomplishing what systemd is trying to do. socket activation is nice but it's an orthogonal problem: have runit start up a bunch of stub processes that listen on unix sockets or tcp sockets or dbus busnames or w/e and then fork and handoff to a real server process when those sockets first get opened. launch that entire tree with its stdout redirected to a logger. for each service you have one process for supervision, one for logging, one for socket activation, and one to actually do the work. this is unix, processes are cheap. no big elaborate pid1 with a multitude of responsibilities that can take the entire system down if it segfaults necessary. controlling services using dbus is kinda nice i guess? but runit uses single-ascii-byte commands to named pipes to control its supervised services and that seems to work well enough. as a bonus you can actually use filesystem permissions to control access to them too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
runit owns
lvm owns
ext4 is p. nice
xfs owns

i honestly do not understand the btrfs project goals when we live in a world where lvm and xfs already exist

it's telling that after all these years of btrfs development no one, not even the weird eurotrash @ suse, have picked it up

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

as a matter of fact i'm shifting over to thinking that runit is a better way of accomplishing what systemd is trying to do. socket activation is nice but it's an orthogonal problem: have runit start up a bunch of stub processes that listen on unix sockets or tcp sockets or dbus busnames or w/e and then fork and handoff to a real server process when those sockets first get opened. launch that entire tree with its stdout redirected to a logger. for each service you have one process for supervision, one for logging, one for socket activation, and one to actually do the work. this is unix, processes are cheap. no big elaborate pid1 with a multitude of responsibilities that can take the entire system down if it segfaults necessary. controlling services using dbus is kinda nice i guess? but runit uses single-ascii-byte commands to named pipes to control its supervised services and that seems to work well enough. as a bonus you can actually use filesystem permissions to control access to them too.

lol. if upstart, backed by canonical, already lost then what makes you think fuckin RUNIT has any chance

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well, the reason that systemd is so popular is because it actually standardises things and does useful things out of the box that the other system service managers on linux can eh maybe kinda sorta do if you screw around with them long and hard enough and make extensive modifications from upstream that'll only be relevant for your distribution

the greatest thing by far about systemd is that it made distributions almost completely irrelevant at a stroke. literally the only difference between distributions now is who you sign the support contract with, the package management system that it uses, and the release cycle. systemd could be Satan itself and the foregoing would still make it a net positive for linux. i think that's a large part of why people hate systemd (not dislike or aversion, i do specifically mean hate: it's an intensely emotional reaction that is retroactively rationalised as opposed to actually being a considered objection based on engineering principles)

well, actually i'll amend that last statement: it could be much much worse, it could be the Windows Event Log (which requires you to compile "message catalogs" of i18nable format strings using a tool that hasn't been updated since 1985, in UTF-16 of course, and then refer to those messages by number from your source code any time you wanted to log something), it could have the NT Service API and provide a libadvapi32 that you had to link against and write a shitton of boilerplate for if you wanted to run as a service which would also make it impossible to run said process outside of the Service Manager, and you could have a binary registry tracking both configuration and state as the cherry on this poo poo sundae. I think that's another reason why people hate systemd: they probably just assume that it faithfully replicates the horror show that is the NT service API instead of providing an interface that isn't designed by a sadistic psychopath.

anyway that kind of went off on a tangent. systemd standardises things and solves real problems. but the manner in which it solves those problems is suspect: i think systemd's pid1 could actually be quite elegantly split into a set of orthogonal co-operating executables and still achieve just about everything the current solution a achieves. the systemd guys do give an outline for why the linux cgroup tree needs to be managed by a global supervisory process with a complete view of the entire system's operation, but this actually seems to be the crux of the argument for a monolithic pid1 and in light of that the whole document is a little too imprecise, hand-wavy, and short on concrete examples for my liking.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 29, 2014

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

it's an intensely emotional reaction that is retroactively rationalised as opposed to actually being

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
systemd's PID1 isn't monolithic and systemd is a set of co-operating executables (I restart journald and logind all the time during development, without taking down PID1).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

the greatest thing by far about systemd is that it made distributions almost completely irrelevant at a stroke. literally the only difference between distributions now is who you sign the support contract with, the package management system that it uses, and the release cycle. systemd could be Satan itself and the foregoing would still make it a net positive for linux. i think that's a large part of why people hate systemd (not dislike or aversion, i do specifically mean hate: it's an intensely emotional reaction that is retroactively rationalised as opposed to actually being a considered objection based on engineering principles)

That's the "Microsoft-ification of Linux" argument: that we should probably have an enterprise OS that we all sort of agree on, rather than a giant bucket of random components built by one vendor or another. I think it's a great thing to finally have platform to target and one API to use. Others have stronger emotions against that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's the "Microsoft-ification of Linux" argument: that we should probably have an enterprise OS that we all sort of agree on, rather than a giant bucket of random components built by one vendor or another. I think it's a great thing to finally have platform to target and one API to use. Others have stronger emotions against that.

i'm totally on board

just the one OS and vendor should have been sun/solaris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr Dog posted:

i don't care much for btrfs actually

it's been in development for like seven years and it's still not considered stable

it merges a whole bunch of layers into one soupy mess, which seem like they could be solved just as effectively using discard-aware lvm and ext4

iirc it was originally supposed to be the linux zfs or something but now there's a native zfs for people that actually need it