Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Razakai posted:

It's a little misleading. It actually 'stores' the rerolls, so at level 30 you'd have 10 rerolls to use up regardless of when you got the ring.

Okay but the thing is I got it at level 8 and have rerolled it twice at level 10 (and taken it off and on twice as well). Thing's broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Prism posted:

I bought them on Steam.

Now, whenever I open the game and click to connect through Steam, so that it tries to log me in, it comes back with 'No Steam client found' and locks my router up so hard I have to unplug it to get Internet connectivity back.

So this is kind of annoying. And by kind of I mean extremely.

I'm still having this problem. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Or is it just happening to me and nobody else?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress, it requires a phone-home to work?

gently caress that noise, glad I was traveling today and couldn't buy it.

12 hours later I still can't play, oi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not at all sure how I feel about Doom Elves. On the one hand, they get a free phase door and an okay anti-boss-talent talent. Not impressed with their other two talents though.

They certainly don't feel like they're up there with Shalore-Thalore-Yeek*-Dwarf for most classes.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Is it just me or is doombringer's fiery grasp talent not functioning? Tooltip says it does 100-some% weapon damage, plus a tiny amount per turn...but it only ever does the tiny 2-3 damage per turn.

The "root in place" part of the ability works fine, it just doesn't do the damage the tooltip says it does.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 28, 2014

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Prism posted:

I'm still having this problem. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Or is it just happening to me and nobody else?

I've been playing it on and off today, and the solution seems to be to just keep trying to connect to steam on the title page. Four or five attempts and it seems to usually connect, if only for a few seconds. But it only needs a few seconds to phone home, and then you can play regardless of server status then until you quit the program.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Wolfechu posted:

I've been playing it on and off today, and the solution seems to be to just keep trying to connect to steam on the title page. Four or five attempts and it seems to usually connect, if only for a few seconds. But it only needs a few seconds to phone home, and then you can play regardless of server status then until you quit the program.

When I try to connect, it fails and takes my Internet connection with it - I lose everything. Web pages, Mumble, Steam itself. I can't keep attempting without unplugging my router after every try. This is the problem more than just not being able to connect.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah, Doombringer is fun but I wouldn't call it top tier. The damage is good, but they're paper-thin defensively compared to the stronger melee classes, especially until you get the Oppression+Fearfire tree rolling. They also have enormous resource issues if you decide to get Flame of Uhr'rok to take advantage of the demonfire healing. Still, entertaining to play.

Also, you can now guarantee Walrog spawning by killing both the naga and the sea dragon in the east for those that want to unlock Demonologist legit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So yeah, this is stating nothing new but I can't get over how loving absurd Doombringer is. Just scored a win so easy it made my oozemancer victory look like it took skill. Last bosses went down in two hits each, and so did the post-game boss. What a joke. I'd post my profile just to show how I wore random gear and threw my stat and skill points wherever I felt like and still easily won but it won't update.

I also got a single regen infusion near the beginning of the game and never ever bothered upgrading it, or even used it much at all. Same with my wild infusion and teleport rune (which were used a grand total of 8 times over the course of the game)

:hellyeah:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So yeah, this is stating nothing new but I can't get over how loving absurd Doombringer is. Just scored a win so easy it made my oozemancer victory look like it took skill. Last bosses went down in two hits each, and so did the post-game boss. What a joke. I'd post my profile just to show how I wore random gear and threw my stat and skill points wherever I felt like and still easily won but it won't update.

I also got a single regen infusion near the beginning of the game and never ever bothered upgrading it, or even used it much at all. Same with my wild infusion and teleport rune (which were used a grand total of 8 times over the course of the game)

Out of curiosity, even with no profile, how? I'm getting ripped to shreds in the first two levels (one decided to spawn a level 30 enemy on top of me) and I'm, uh, well, bad at the game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I somewhat worry about how things will shake out for DG in terms of the need to keep bolstering the servers for each of these "online-needing" additions to the game versus the actual sales and whatnot to support them especially as the Orc campaign looms. It just doesn't seem sustainable for all that long going forward unless he can time and again hit on a high level of momentum. I get that the game is far more open on the code front than most, so he probably "can't" just get things out in a more traditional way as per how Dredmor and most others have done it---but there's got to be a better way as I don't know that this was thought through all that well in the formative times when online was solely the realm of terrible global community chat and random mini-events triggered at his whim or on some sort of timer/dice rolled intervals automatically.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ibram Gaunt posted:

now do lilani

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Out of curiosity, even with no profile, how? I'm getting ripped to shreds in the first two levels (one decided to spawn a level 30 enemy on top of me) and I'm, uh, well, bad at the game.

Those statues have a chance of spawning a level 20-30 enemy. Don't talk to them unless you've found a nice weapon or something when you first start, they're a deathtrap with no reward. The demon starting area is pretty rough regardless, I've only made it out 1/3 times. Once you're out, rod of recall out and go do norgo's first instead of the dungeon it drops you in. By the time you're ~8, you're basically over the hump and OP as gently caress. If I wasn't playing on roguelike and mildly reckless, I would have already won. Doombringer is ridiculous.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah as alarumklok said, don't bother with the statues. Even if you kill the mob it spawns you get no loot or anything, sometimes the statues can give a buff but its like a 10 turn damage boost aka useless.

I'm sure any way you build a doombringer is OP but I ended up focusing heavily on str over magic. You want to max incinerating blows, share the pain and abyssal shield kind of early because they are really absurd. I unlocked the wrath tree and went 1/1/5/5 as well. Didn't bother with the heart of fire tree until towards the end game when I ran out of stuff to put points in but it is also absurdly powerful.

I did end up dying a couple times but besides getting splatted by an ambush very early on, basically all my deaths were just due to me not playing in 6 months and doing stupid poo poo. (like running head first into vor armory, and not being careful around the backup guardian of Daikara) I could easily do it on roguelike now that I'm back in the groove of things.

Oh and, it goes without saying that reckless strike is a no brainer 5/5 because 369% weapon damage strike that ignores all armor and resistances is pretty much the best.

EDIT: oh hey my page updated: http://te4.org/characters/20244/tome/8896d73b-84f2-423b-9e0e-795483f40a78

No clue if my two prodigies are even any good, I literally chose them at random.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Very rarely the statues have spat out an artifact for me, I got that planar gem that lets you fearport/aoe onto mobs from one in the old forest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jsoh posted:

now do lilani

Took 4 of her lives out before hitting a wrong button and moving foreward and dying, revived and finished her off in about 5 turns.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prism posted:

When I try to connect, it fails and takes my Internet connection with it - I lose everything. Web pages, Mumble, Steam itself. I can't keep attempting without unplugging my router after every try. This is the problem more than just not being able to connect.

That's extremely weird. Wonder why.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
What tile set is that?

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

game fails to start, as in will just keep trying to load the level every time I try to play a doombringer. It just sits with the box saying generating level and will not ever load it. Anything I can do to fix this?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

CrimsonWolf posted:

game fails to start, as in will just keep trying to load the level every time I try to play a doombringer. It just sits with the box saying generating level and will not ever load it. Anything I can do to fix this?

Probably connection problems.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's extremely weird. Wonder why.

I agree and would also like to know why.

Today I actually managed to log on and play - it connected to my profile first try - but later, when I lost connection to the online servers later, it killed my Internet connection then instead. So I guess it's something related to not being able to connect or disconnecting? I really don't know how to fix it, but I'm probably not going to be playing much TOME anymore until it is, I guess.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

CrimsonWolf posted:

Have you checked the log file to see if it's throwing an error somewhere?

te4_log.txt <-- this is the log file, it's usually in the same directory as the game executable.

Especially if you use addons, those can sometimes break when interacting with new versions of the game -- or new content in general -- until they get updated to be compatible.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hate to be that guy, but have you done a virus/malware scan? I had a virus at some point a few years ago that did similar things when running a specific game and nothing else.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Demonologist feels really janky and unfinished. There's spelling errors everywhere (including no "these are the main stats" line on the character gen), it's really finicky to manage your pokemon for very little power (let's summon a wretch that casts awful poison mist that hurts me too :downs:), highest damage attacks are weapon% yet you pretty much have to pile on Magic at the start if you want to unlock anything, and splits damage between darkness, blight, and fire. I found the idea of a class without an "engine" (spam 2 beams type) to be interesting, but it just isn't very well executed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I hate to be that guy, but have you done a virus/malware scan? I had a virus at some point a few years ago that did similar things when running a specific game and nothing else.

Yeah. I run Kaspersky, and I let it do a full run overnight. Nothing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

alarumklok posted:

Demonologist feels really janky and unfinished. There's spelling errors everywhere (including no "these are the main stats" line on the character gen), it's really finicky to manage your pokemon for very little power (let's summon a wretch that casts awful poison mist that hurts me too :downs:), highest damage attacks are weapon% yet you pretty much have to pile on Magic at the start if you want to unlock anything, and splits damage between darkness, blight, and fire. I found the idea of a class without an "engine" (spam 2 beams type) to be interesting, but it just isn't very well executed.

The demons are crushingly disappointing. The Demon Seed passives while they're bolted to your equipment are pretty excellent, but actually summoning them is awful in every conceivable manner. Why yes, I'd like to use a 25 turn cooldown and a bunch of my very limited vim to summon one(1) demon from a piece of my equipment that is exactly as strong as a normal mob of its type and level, and if it happens to die while summoned I lose the actually useful passive effect it was providing to my equipment until I can regenerate the dead seed. :what:

I mean come on, if you're going to force us to farm them in an extremely random manner off enemies, massively limit the amount we can summon them(you can only ever have two out at once assuming you use both the summon and the summon teleport), make them dying be a really huge penalty until you can fix them, and give them persistent HP tracking between summons can we at least have them be as strong as the chaff summoners throw around corners by the dozens?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just let me summon from demon seeds that aren't attached to my gear. That's literally the only change that needs to be made to the demon summons. They could still be fairly weak, but at least using my escape that drops one or summoning one as chaff wouldn't ruin me.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So what I'm hearing is Demonologists are bad and I should continue exploding everything as a Doom Bringer. Here's hoping Possessor turns out good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a third class added in the expac? How do you unlock it?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a third class added in the expac? How do you unlock it?

No. Possessor is the next donator class and it's currently being worked on. No idea how long it's gonna take or when it'll be released.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
My nightmare staff doombringer is at the portal to the final bosses, but I don't want to finish him until I can make sure he'll end up in the vault properly :/

It matters to me far more then it should. Stupid servers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Just let me summon from demon seeds that aren't attached to my gear. That's literally the only change that needs to be made to the demon summons. They could still be fairly weak, but at least using my escape that drops one or summoning one as chaff wouldn't ruin me.

No, they need a lot more than that. If they're going to be (relatively) limited resources, they need to actually have an impact when used. In their current form even if the button read "Press Button Summon Demon" without any interaction with the demon seed mechanic at all I still wouldn't waste the turn or the vim.

Fibby Boy posted:

So what I'm hearing is Demonologists are bad and I should continue exploding everything as a Doom Bringer. Here's hoping Possessor turns out good.

A combat-focused demonologist is actually pretty good. It's basically a bulwark with some reasonably good elemental damage/aoe in exchange for the loss of Shield Defense and a harsher demand to split your stats. It's just a real letdown compared to how silly/fun/strong Doombringer is and in my opinion a waste of amazing potential.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Demonologists are tanky as hell once they get going, summoning demons is kind of underwhelming and full of disadvantages that I feel can be fixed, I don't know how the darkness skills are supposed to work together, but I didn't really try that because it seemed like it's too situational to actually be reliable, especially when compared to the pretty great Spellblaze tree.

I wish Blood Pact did the opposite thing of what it currently does. Especially since there's a demon seed skill that gives you a shitload more vim basically for free.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm finding Doombringers to be surprisingly vulnerable. Partly it's from focusing on the magic side and neglecting constitution, but without fire resist piercing gear you are seriously vulnerable to Luminous Horrors and everything fire drakish. I suspect I didn't get things in the right order ; the fire aura etc. trees should come after you have decent melee abilities so you aren't so one trick in the early game before you gear up. Probably restarting later tonight.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I ended up deciding to just finish them off. It took me about 10 turns total to kill both bosses.

I think doombringer may be the strongest class I've played (archmage is probably better, but I haven't played one since like b32 or something). On top of absolutely insane damage, they have near stun + disarm immunity in demon form, a controlled teleport, a move the heals you of literally all status conditions currently affecting your character, a full heal, an ability that let's your reduce an enemies damage by up to 30%, rather high flat damage reduction, big armor bonuses, a passive chance to stun, etc. etc. etc.

Like oozemancer, they make nightmare feel like normal mode. I had 2 deaths, but they were both in the Dark Crypt, and I actually got unlucky on those even given how bad the Dark Crypt is.

Probably gonna take a break for a bit and then see how I fair on Demonologist. They look really cool, so I hope I find them more enjoyable than most seem to.

Velius posted:

I'm finding Doombringers to be surprisingly vulnerable. Partly it's from focusing on the magic side and neglecting constitution, but without fire resist piercing gear you are seriously vulnerable to Luminous Horrors and everything fire drakish. I suspect I didn't get things in the right order ; the fire aura etc. trees should come after you have decent melee abilities so you aren't so one trick in the early game before you gear up. Probably restarting later tonight.

I actually didn't have any resist penetration until the end of the game.

The fire aura is fun and did good damage, but I could have done without it, honestly. I'd recommend waiting on that. You want to get Destroyer form up and running as quickly as possible since using reckless strike gives you a multi-turn resist penetration bonus. Also, fiery torment lowers their resist additively, rather than multiplicatively, so it's absolutely amazing. Turn off your incinerating blows and such when fighting the luminous horrors and just hit them with your biggest attacks. I only had problems with the pack I ran into early, and even then I just pulled them apart and took them out one at a a time without ever being at too much risk.

Also, get abyssal shield maxed immediately when you can and wear heavy armor. With the healing from absorbing blow, I never came close to dying except for the aforementioned trip to the Dark Crypt. I'd avoid other sustains that cost vim until you have a higher amount since your flat damage reduction is based on current vim.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 28, 2014

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Doombringer's reckless strike is an infinite range attack. :ssh:

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Falcorum posted:

Doombringer's reckless strike is an infinite range attack. :ssh:

your dimensional bending powers will be removed in the next release.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I haven't seen TOO much of the new lore yet, but what I have seen all just goes back to "GOD DAMMIT WIZARDS, WAY TO RUIN EVERYTHING."

Zigur is and always has been correct :colbert:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ProfessorCirno posted:

I haven't seen TOO much of the new lore yet, but what I have seen all just goes back to "GOD DAMMIT WIZARDS, WAY TO RUIN EVERYTHING."

Zigur is and always has been correct :colbert:

actually some of the bad things are due to people being mad at wizards, and they are mad at wizards because of poo poo they didnt even do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

jsoh posted:

actually some of the bad things are due to people being mad at wizards, and they are mad at wizards because of poo poo they didnt even do!

Well, it looks like the demon invasion is due to the Spellblaze working better then intended: all that super infinite death power poured out into the portals, just as planned.

It's just that the portals all went places, and then so did that infinite death power.

So that's like, hundreds of planets wiped out. Because of wizards. One planet had one of the old gods living there who managed to throw a continent off as it burned, and the inhabitants went "RIGHT SO IT WAS THIS loving PLANET THEN?"

So Zigur was right :colbert:

• Locked thread