Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Ferris Aircraft"

"Jordan, my boy, there's no flying alien in a green suit, stop being so sinister...o"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotham is actually pretty good.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Is this the non-lovely US version of The Krypton Factor my game show nerd self has been waiting for?

*click*

No. :smith:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Is it good for people that don't understand comics? I watched the first one and everything seemed forced and awkward. Pilot, I know. I really want to see Ben Sherman and Terriers succeed so I'm hoping it becomes good.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Turtlicious posted:

"You will never stop the Spirit of the Goat!"

-Actual line said by an actor on the multi-million dollar network television show Gotham

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
"Gotham better not be a stupid serious by-the-numbers cop procedural, it better have some comic book influences in it"

"JFC why is Gotham not taking itself seriously?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

your a fourteen year old boy

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ariza posted:

Is it good for people that don't understand comics? I watched the first one and everything seemed forced and awkward. Pilot, I know. I really want to see Ben Sherman and Terriers succeed so I'm hoping it becomes good.

I don't read any comics but like comic book shows and movies. After 2 episodes I tossed Gotham. I wanted it to succeed for the same reasons.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sober posted:

"Gotham better not be a stupid serious by-the-numbers cop procedural, it better have some comic book influences in it"

"JFC why is Gotham not taking itself seriously?"

I love Gotham's grimcamp tone, but everything else is pretty poo poo.

e: The time period mish-mash is pretty cool too.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 28, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Gotham is like Arrow except Det. Lance is the main character as a rookie, Oliver is a child, but there are still comic book bad guys. Comic book bad guys need comic book good guys to fight them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, Gotham is actually pretty well written, and I've found it both clever and interesting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Turtlicious posted:

Nah, Gotham is actually pretty well written, and I've found it both clever and interesting.
I think the real issues I have is that it is really weirdly shot and edited, with way too many smash cuts and not letting the viewer just sit on a scene to let it sink in. Writing could probably do an extra pass but it's nothing completely bad or boring as people are making it out to be.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Meh I watch too much tv as it is and Gotham wasn't interesting enough for me to continue watching, unlike other comic shows. Doesn't mean others won't like it or you're wrong for liking it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

A Superman show about a teenage Clark Kent growing up in Smallville would be incredible. They could call it The Kents.

I would've called it "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

YOur a fourteem year old boy!!!!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Turtlicious posted:

In what ways do you find it well written? Were the last two episodes better than the first four?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
turtlicious is literally a tween boy lol..... he puts gum in the hair of the girl in front of him in math class and thinks the slide at recess is for babies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode of the new Adult Swim show Mike Tyson Mysteries started last night and it was pretty weird. The premise is that the ghost of the Marquees of Queensbury has convinced Mike Tyson to clean up his act and now Tyson, alongside the ghost, his adopted Chinese daughter and a pigeon that used to be a man, drive around in a van solving mysteries.

Despite the Hanna Barbera premise the first episode involved Mike and his group going out to Cormac McCarthy's ranch to help him finish his latest novel and then fighting a chupacabra that was actually John Updike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it actually Mike Tyson doing the voice work?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Is it actually Mike Tyson doing the voice work?

Yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And he's a really good sport because there are quite a few jokes about how he isn't exactly smart.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There was an article in USA Today about that show. He was quoted as saying he "had nothing better to do" and that IRL he has over 1,500 pigeons. He went on to say he is extremely happy about the action figures for the show and loves to imagine little kids playing with Mike Tyson toys.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

In what ways do you find it well written? Were the last two episodes better than the first four?

Personally, I believe it's being pushed forward by the characters. The inner comic book nerd in me really enjoys seeing young penguin being this weird sociopath, and definitely fits his less awkward king pin self that he turns into in 20 or 30 years.

Seeing Gordon as the only non-corrupt in Gotham, and that ex-vampire from blade traipse around while catching a balloon killer, was probably both the best episode in the series, and the perfect example of why I like Gotham so much. It marries the both the ideas of Camp, and procedural cop drama. It's the transitional period from Adam West, to Gravel McSnarl.

It's both about the transition the comic books made from camp to grim dark, and about the transition Batman has made over the last 50+ years.

e: Yes, I think the latest episode with penguin outing himself is by far the best.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
u ride a razor scooter to school and always forget the lunch box your mom packed for you so you have to eat the weird cafeteria cheese broccoli

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Is there a companion that Who nerds don't loving despise?
I hate Martha Jones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I hate Martha Jones.

Congrats on wanting to gently caress Dr. Who AND being a racist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CobiWann posted:

What's wrong with finding the TARDIS attractive? She's got lovely dimensions! :colbert:
This is actress who played her so...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Great thanks for enabling josh Lyman to talk about women

Thanks chat

Well done

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Doctor Who fans are always going to project their hangups about women onto The Doctor's companion (including their innate fear of women by constantly demanding male companions). That being said, Leela is as close as you're going to get to a universally loved companion.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scorpion rating well last night without Big Bang Theory as a lead-in confirms that CBS viewers have an infinite appetite for procedurals, no matter how lovely they are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this? posted:

The first episode of the new Adult Swim show Mike Tyson Mysteries started last night and it was pretty weird. The premise is that the ghost of the Marquees of Queensbury has convinced Mike Tyson to clean up his act and now Tyson, alongside the ghost, his adopted Chinese daughter and a pigeon that used to be a man, drive around in a van solving mysteries.

Despite the Hanna Barbera premise the first episode involved Mike and his group going out to Cormac McCarthy's ranch to help him finish his latest novel and then fighting a chupacabra that was actually John Updike.

The really interesting thing is I felt the whole thing was rather tame and grounded by Adult Swim standards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Congrats on wanting to gently caress Dr. Who AND being a racist.

I don't get people that hate Martha but liked Rose, when there wasn't anything bad about Martha that wasn't like 1000 times worse with Rose.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

With Rose it was all new. With Martha it was just like a rehash. I just want Captain Jack to make a return.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't get people that hate Martha but liked Rose, when there wasn't anything bad about Martha that wasn't like 1000 times worse with Rose.
FWIW, I also disliked Rose. Just too much chav for me to handle.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Great thanks for enabling josh Lyman to talk about women

Thanks chat

Well done

I’m getting married this weekend. Am I still allowed to lust after women on television?

Well, women and Wentworth Miller. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I’m getting married this weekend. Am I still allowed to lust after women on television?

Well, women and Wentworth Miller. :allears:
You just reminded me how much I loved the first season of Prison Break and how disappointing was everything that came after.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

You just reminded me how much I loved the first season of Prison Break and how disappointing was everything that came after.

The season where they went to space prison was pretty awesome.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

IRQ posted:

The season where they went to space prison was pretty awesome.

Was that actually a thing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Was that actually a thing?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've liked every Doctor Who companion except for Clara, and even now she's growing on me

• Locked thread