Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hav posted:

However, "You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state."
You missed the point where it actually released as a full product in its Early Access state which is why people say it should be taken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I got this on the Extra Credits bundle and I played I guess less than 30 minutes. I completed one door (the bedroom one, IIRC) but I felt it was a chore by the end of that already.

The visuals are really tiring, mostly because of the juxtaposition of really bright things with things that aren't illuminated at all.

The set up of the story is interesting enough (dead people memories repository), but I think it had so much of that indie story vagueness bullshit that I didn't care for it at all.

I was going to ask if the story is worth plowing through this bullshit, but I feel it won't be.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

-At launch the game was only feature-complete in the pure "we're clearly just avoiding lawsuits" kind of way. For example, the planetary annihilation animation sometimes didn't work so you spend a whole game crashing two things together and they just disappear. Just you know, little oversights like the namesake of the game not being tested.

Missing animations is a thing that never never never happens in publisher-backed, non-EA things :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
How much of RE4 is Boss fights and how much of it is scrambling through levels taking out mooks and scavenging for ammo and puzzle stuff? I rather like the latter, and not so fond of the former, and if there's one thing I'm bad--especially with capcom games--it's boss fights. Also, the only Resident Evil game I've beaten is Revelations. I have 6 but have trouble getting a consistent co-op buddy, but I don't think there's any rush to beat it anyway.

The GMG sale is almost up and I can pick up RE4 for like under 2 bucks, but I'm afraid it'd be a waste of time and GMG funds. :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HardDisk posted:

I got this on the Extra Credits bundle and I played I guess less than 30 minutes. I completed one door (the bedroom one, IIRC) but I felt it was a chore by the end of that already.

The visuals are really tiring, mostly because of the juxtaposition of really bright things with things that aren't illuminated at all.

The set up of the story is interesting enough (dead people memories repository), but I think it had so much of that indie story vagueness bullshit that I didn't care for it at all.

I was going to ask if the story is worth plowing through this bullshit, but I feel it won't be.

It won't be. The setting is more interesting than the actual story. It ends with a pretty stretched twist and there's a "moral choice" moment that can get you an early bad end, but that's it. Look it up on YouTube if you're curious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

That's like saying that my wife likes to experiment with overdraft systems. Technically accurate, but entirely wrong.

Everything circles back to 'fitness for purpose' which is entirely undefined in US law, and heavily defined under at least UK law, and mostly avoided by EULAs that absolve the publisher of literally anything. The UK EULA is completely different from the US because of the EU regulations.

Hey man, wasn't defending the gently caress-the-buyers 'logic'. Patreon's one thing, but praying for a steady flow of buyers and declaring you've gone gold when the trickle ends is some serious bullshit, even with disclaimers stamped all over. As a means of keeping the lights on, it obviously doesn't work, and I suspect a lot of indies with big ideas and little experience are tempted by it, which will just make EA an even bigger pit.

Not that north american EULAs don't let them do that already, like you noted. I think everything I've installed since they became a thing has had a disclaimer about 'merchantability' in the 'accept' pop-up, or on the shrink-wrap over the diskettes, or even in small print on the box. It's horrendous bullshit, and as much as I want to swat people for swearing off Publisher X for squeezing one out, then following them again like the Pied Patcher a few months later, the root of the problem lies with the publishers basically having carte blanche to do whatever the market will bear.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Morter posted:

How much of RE4 is Boss fights and how much of it is scrambling through levels taking out mooks and scavenging for ammo and puzzle stuff? I rather like the latter, and not so fond of the former, and if there's one thing I'm bad--especially with capcom games--it's boss fights. Also, the only Resident Evil game I've beaten is Revelations. I have 6 but have trouble getting a consistent co-op buddy, but I don't think there's any rush to beat it anyway.

The GMG sale is almost up and I can pick up RE4 for like under 2 bucks, but I'm afraid it'd be a waste of time and GMG funds. :(

If I recally correctly, like 8? It's more of levels of taking out mooks and scavenging honestly. Most of the boss fights is when poo poo gets real.

edit: Also what? RE4 for like 2 bucks? Where? LINK NOW.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zombie Samurai posted:

Sanitarium just showed up on Steam at the discounted price of $6. I actually have the CDs for this one from a bargain bin ages ago, but for some reason I could never get it to run on any of my systems. It's supposed to be a classic horror adventure game, so if this turns out to be a solid port of it I'll probably get it and (hopefully) be able to play it at last.

It was also released on GOG a few years ago.

http://www.gog.com/game/sanitarium

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some of the boss fights in RE4 are goddamm awesome too.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Shindragon posted:

If I recally correctly, like 8? It's more of levels of taking out mooks and scavenging honestly. Most of the boss fights is when poo poo gets real.

edit: Also what? RE4 for like 2 bucks? Where? LINK NOW.

$10, I guess Morter has $8 in GMG credit.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I just beat Coin Crypt using a class that makes inventory management for purchasing/donating trivial (Demon) while also loaded up with perks, including one that (at the cost of a little max health) gives a small short HP regen buff every time you hit something, even with 1 damage. I didn't have any more high damage attack coins on the final boss but who cares when I have a ton of scratch damage and enough healing from it to practically never die?

Get Coin Crypt.

Such an easy class, you can afford to have all the god blessings all the time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah ok that's still a good deal, and I got like 4 bucks off the playfire thing before they nerf it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

grancheater posted:

$10, I guess Morter has $8 in GMG credit.

Well, there's also GMG's 20% off voucher, which'd make it pretty cheap without using credit (since you can't combine vouchers and credit anymore).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

Planetary Annihilation is even funnier in that the devs started another KS right after releasing the game and it failed miserably.

Human resources? Yeah, I wasn't going to throw in on that on the basis of PA not actually being run rather than Uber being 'bad' per se, and I utterly gloss over the bitcoin mining incident.

They announced layoffs this morning, BTW - http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/uber-entertainment-hit-with-layoffs

revdrkevind posted:

The rundown on PA for anyone who missed it:

-Then immediately launched on Steam, at a much lower cost than you had to pay to get access on the Kickstarter (which was like $90?). Some people excused this as the Kickstarter people getting in early so "exclusive access" wasn't a total lie, but it's still sleazy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts?ref=nav_search - check it yourself, right hand side.

quote:

At launch the game was only feature-complete in the pure "we're clearly just avoiding lawsuits" kind of way.

That's absolute horseshit. There were bugs, and they were missing the offline portion of the game, but it wasn't barely loving complete - and lest we start in on the 'apologist' bullshit, I'm one of the negative reviews.

revdrkevind posted:

People are saying it wasn't done at launch, and you're saying they patched it after launch. Those two things don't contradict each other. The purpose of going through Early Access and having a launch is supposed to be that it's done. It wasn't. And that's the third major strike for PA.

Are you going to start in on Shadow of Mordor for their incomplete launch? Those hacks threw in the photo mode waaaay after release, and we can run them out of town on a rail.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

You're not really ever "scavenging" for ammo, you'll run low if you're not mostly careful with it because that's also part of the game's design, it wants you to feel like you're constantly almost out of ammo (unless you get really good at the game in which case you'll barely use any outside of bosses if played properly). But there are always really obvious barrels and crates you break open for money to buy upgrades or other guns, healing items, and ammo and enemies drop the same things. Puzzles are non-existent. While there are puzzles pieces and keys and stuff you're only ever running down a mostly straight corridor to get to where you need to put the key you just picked up.

Bosses aren't an insignificant part of it. There's of course course plenty of shooting and suplexing regular mooks but depending on how you classify things to my memory there are 7 bosses (1 of which doesn't actually use the usual game mechanics) and numerous "mini-boss" encounters of either the tougher kinds of enemies or swarms of the weaker kind or some combination of both). It's an action game, the primary action is shooting dudes, occasionally there is a bigger dude to shoot at.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 29, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Geokinesis posted:

Such an easy class, you can afford to have all the god blessings all the time.

I like playing the Executive, the steal-on-hit class. Get some +cast speed and a ton of fast, low damage coins, and you'll empty coin bags in no time. The final boss only managed to get two attacks off before they were out of coins.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Hey man, wasn't defending the gently caress-the-buyers 'logic'. Patreon's one thing, but praying for a steady flow of buyers and declaring you've gone gold when the trickle ends is some serious bullshit, even with disclaimers stamped all over. As a means of keeping the lights on, it obviously doesn't work, and I suspect a lot of indies with big ideas and little experience are tempted by it, which will just make EA an even bigger pit.

No, I'm with you. Software is the only industry where you can poo poo on a plate and let marketing sell it for you, and I think we're approaching a point where it's not going to fly as this thing gets into the billions of dollars in revenue.

The whole indie thing has underscored how drat difficult it is for everyone to hit targets with a finite revenue stream and non of that crunchy publisher buffer (Up until they demand a release). As a marketplace disruption, it was valuable and needed, but I don't know how much longer it can continue. While I took a contrary position to Terminally Bored, I've not been entirely overwhelmed with the various early access and kickstarters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Didn't Mercenary Kings make it through EA relatively unscathed? Like its only crime seems to be that it's boring as poo poo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Quest For Glory II posted:

Didn't Mercenary Kings make it through EA relatively unscathed? Like its only crime seems to be that it's boring as poo poo.

Yeah, they released it to backer as a beta and then kept adding more and more stuff to it until it finally was released.

With the add on and work Bro Force has been making I'm pretty sure it will come out of EA fairly well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's a pretty big crime. Also agreed, it's amazing how dull that game is.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

smenj posted:

Well, there's also GMG's 20% off voucher, which'd make it pretty cheap without using credit (since you can't combine vouchers and credit anymore).

Not applicable. The game is below the minimum price.

GMG bonus offers have really gotten lovely compared to what they once were.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Its pretty funny that people still think anyone can "run away with the money" with a project that never even got off the ground.

Not saying DF didnt gently caress up, but the only real difference between SB9 and other failed projects is that DF is transparent enough to let you see how lovely it all really is when things dont go absolutely perfectly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The daily appears to be Red Solstice. I quite liked Alien Swarm/Shadowgrounds, is Red Solstice worth picking up?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Hav posted:

No, I'm with you. Software is the only industry where you can poo poo on a plate and let marketing sell it for you, and I think we're approaching a point where it's not going to fly as this thing gets into the billions of dollars in revenue.

The whole indie thing has underscored how drat difficult it is for everyone to hit targets with a finite revenue stream and non of that crunchy publisher buffer (Up until they demand a release). As a marketplace disruption, it was valuable and needed, but I don't know how much longer it can continue. While I took a contrary position to Terminally Bored, I've not been entirely overwhelmed with the various early access and kickstarters.

As an experiment within the industry, early access and kickstarter were very valuable and interesting but mostly because they showed how easy it is to fail, even at the simplest stuff. You're absolutely right saying it doesn't look like these models have that much life left in them.

There are some devs that were really good with it, though. Vlambeer with Nuclear Throne, Bro Force, guys who did Toy Soldiers used it to make a definitive edition containing both games. Just going by my wish list there's also Crypt of the Necrodancer, Running With Rifles, Coin Crypt, Starwahl, Sunless Sea, Vector Thrust, NEO Scavenger, Gang Beasts. Cool stuff can happen within early access but at the same time it illuminated the process that was hidden before, and for good reasons. There's a huge difference between scraping a game and making another (or going under) and putting patches on it, releasing it as 1.0 and asking people to buy it.

I just remembered Towns wasn't actually EA, they released it before that tag even appeared on Steam.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm also glad the process isn't as opaque as it used to be. Anyone who avidly follows board games has already dealt with the growing pains of crowd funding. It was only a matter of time that video games would fall into the same pit and they'll climb out once people learn from each other's failures.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it just me, or is Farming Simulator 2015 the Nr 1 top seller on Steam at the moment?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Klei Entertainment have been really good with early access, too.

More than anything, EA lets you see which developers are absolutely terrible when it comes to organization and planning. You need to be on the loving ball if you want to produce something in a reasonable time instead of staying in EA for eternity (Project Zomboid and most of all Minecraft, holy poo poo).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

You need to be on the loving ball if you want to produce something in a reasonable time instead of staying in EA for eternity (Project Zomboid and most of all Minecraft, holy poo poo).

Undergrowth. Four years and the main dev's like "maybe I should start working on some actual story and missions". He's still testing various models, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Undergrowth. Four years and the main dev's like "maybe I should start working on some actual story and missions". He's still testing various models, though.

On the other hand, Undergrowth is one of the most impressive things I've seen, from one guy or an entire team. That is a passion project, no question.

e: Could you say Mount & Blade is the first "pay as we develop" game? I remember downloading that from HotU in 2004 or earlier.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A friend was bummed out over the changes being made to Sunless Sea's combat (from the original queued maneuvers to the newer on-map slugfests), which led me to note that's exactly the kind of thing we'd otherwise only find out about in a passing Q&A. Crowdfunding is exposing the rigors and risks of game development, from keeping the staff fed to determining which bits to cut, and I think we really need that. Even after revelations like ea_spouse or the excesses that killed Amalur, there are some major misconceptions about what goes on behind the walls of the sausage factory we call the video games industry.

I don't think crowdfunding in this industry is going to die, but I don't think it will regularly produce anything approaching a AAA title... which might have killed it ten years ago, but I'm not so sure about now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Is it just me, or is Farming Simulator 2015 the Nr 1 top seller on Steam at the moment?

poo poo's popular, yo. Football Manager 2014 is almost always in top games of Steam and that is a spreadsheet in the form of a game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

On the other hand, Undergrowth is one of the most impressive things I've seen, from one guy or an entire team. That is a passion project, no question.

e: Could you say Mount & Blade is the first "pay as we develop" game? I remember downloading that from HotU in 2004 or earlier.

It certainly is, especially the damage system. But four loving years, there were accompanying comic books made during that time. When the game's finally released we'll be on DirectX14 and Gaben will speak to us directly through our Steam Machines.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I own Overgrowth. There's nothing to do in it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kin posted:

Not applicable. The game is below the minimum price.

GMG bonus offers have really gotten lovely compared to what they once were.

Ah crap. Yeah I had 5.73 in credit. I figured with the voucher, the game would be $7.50 for me.

Still, $4.26 isn't bad to spend on RE4. I've been indecisive as gently caress about it lately since the HD version came out. I'll finally take the plunge, and play it to see what the hype is about, and just to plain own it. Thanks guys.

(Also, friend me if you want to play RE6, please.)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is there any way to tell where a gift has originated? I just had Hack N Slash randomly gifted to me, but I never got an email or popup telling me from whom it came.

I am just trying to say thanks!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

You got it automatically because you bought Spacebase DS-9. May god have mercy on your soul.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Is there any way to tell where a gift has originated? I just had Hack N Slash randomly gifted to me, but I never got an email or popup telling me from whom it came.

I am just trying to say thanks!

If you own Spacebase DF-9, you got a free copy of Hack & Slash. No one can just randomly add items into your inventory.

If you want, say thanks to this poo poo head.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Steam could have let me know.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I got a free copy of Hack N Slash and a free copy of Spacebase because I have a loving problem in my brain. :suicide:

To be fair I don't actually regret Hack N Slash, it's neat enough for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Morter posted:

Most of the game is suplexing/kicking mooks and finding hidden trinkets to sell to buy gun upgrades. There are only a few puzzles in the game and none of them are very hard. The boss fights kind of suck since most of them have QTE stuff you have to deal with, then again, the game has a ton of QTE's in general. It's also like the only game where the escort parts don't bother me any.

RE4 is one of my favorite games to find trinkets since it never feels like a collect-a-thon, outside the blue medallion part at the very beginning and that's optional. Shoot birds/nests whenever you see them and know that some of the treasure you find can have jewels placed in them to increase their value. Any treasure like that will usually say "there's divots for placing stuff in" or something along those lines.

I beat the PC version a few weeks ago and it really holds up well once you get used to the controls. Just a really fun game with the right amount of goofiness.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread