Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also if u use the tumbler follow me http://rodtronics.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

echinopsis posted:

if you look closely you'll see i use gently caress all trianlges. its straight edges and loving cubes with a bevels with no curves! in fact, the only trick is to go out of your way to tunr off smoothing i your 3d program becasue if the engine tries to "smooth" things (like you would with high poly) yuou'll see just how tragic it is. the models are bullshit, its the rendering engine, the physics engine and the code-less blueprints that allow me to do anything at all

this is a classic trick that people have been using for decades, using ready-made lighting and effects baked into the engine to make up for, uh, minimalist models and materials. ue4 is good at this. and if the scene has low lighting or weird colored lighting, details can't be made out anyway.

echinopsis posted:

i use blender and 99% of the tools in blender let you specify whatever by entering numbers into the keyboard! whichi i do bevause i have aspergers and when i bevel my cube for example i do it freehand to get it to look right, but then look at the number and round it to close number! so bevel is always like 0.1 units on a 1 unit cube, or 0.01 or whatever

OR to make the bent looking things i literally use a tool that randomises poo poo

if you have even a slight eye for taste you could make something that looks like that. and its not like it looks great like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAAPTiuFdwU
the poo poo eople like this are pulling out of the same engine

i can never make sense of blender but i know how to use an old copy of lightwave which does the same things! i can press N and punch in how beveled i want my cube. there's a randomizer somewhere too.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ue4 makes me wanna make a game but my staggering lack of originality prevents me from coming up with a game worth making

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as long as you can avoid making a top down 16 bit pixel art jrpg-like you're in the top 5% already

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

as long as you can avoid making a top down 16 bit pixel art jrpg-like you're in the top 5% already

lol

Bloody posted:

ue4 makes me wanna make a game but my staggering lack of originality prevents me from coming up with a game worth making

u think ive got any? its basically a 3 hit combo of "get inspiration from old game i used to enjoy" "my lack of skill forces me to take game in certain direction" "mess around with built in features of engine"

Luigi Thirty posted:

i can never make sense of blender but i know how to use an old copy of lightwave which does the same things! i can press N and punch in how beveled i want my cube. there's a randomizer somewhere too.

nice. bldner is easy once you get the hang, nice and fast and doesnt have hangups like other 3d modellers IMO but its a bit harder to just sit down at and pick up. which is a shame because its a very capable tool that is very fast to use. its almost designed for pros in a way, LOTS of keyboard shortcuts (often completely necessary) and things like that that make it beginner unfriendly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

im honestly not confident i can avoid that

alternatively, 2d sidescrolling 16bit platformer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think ive realised the importance of making my game multiplayer friendly. i mean, in a way ive set it up so itll work that way, and even poo poo like destructable blocks falling into you damages you so there is potentially some fun to be had. the hard part will be the networking and of course the lac of players, but it should add something to the game anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

nice. bldner is easy once you get the hang, nice and fast and doesnt have hangups like other 3d modellers IMO but its a bit harder to just sit down at and pick up. which is a shame because its a very capable tool that is very fast to use. its almost designed for pros in a way, LOTS of keyboard shortcuts (often completely necessary) and things like that that make it beginner unfriendly

I don't even know who uses Lightwave these days but it's easy to pick up and use because there's no buttons with icons and the scene designer is separate from the modeler. I can press the button that says "box" and drag out the vertices of a box in my viewport, press a button and send it to the scene.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now that sounds complicated to me, but only because im not used to thinking of seperate model and scene. idk if blender is good for scenes it seems to excel at modelling a single thing at a time. then again what do i know? (nothing)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I was good at 3ds max back in like 2006 is that still a thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes it's one of the standards and when u start using it you realise it's still stick in 2002. it's greatest asset is old users, nothing else. it's poo poo
blender supremacy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbf some of the tools seem ok but a lot of tutorials are like "take
your model, import into 3ds, apply this UV
tool then export out. I mean it's a glorified plugin runner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maya is where you want to be fyi and it's totally free for students or people who want to pretend to be.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i also have a maya student license somewhere but i can't figure out how to do anything in it

the last time i did any 3d modeling was probably 2011 maybe the new version is better???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maya has so many commands, there isn't enough space available in all the menus that are possible to display on an average screen to show them all. so it has a dropdown menu to change between four different sets of menu bars.

also, i don't know what the current status is, but i remember hearing around 2006? that photoshop, a pretty big and complicated program in its own right, had 10 million lines of code. the contemporary version of maya had 150 million lines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

maya is where you want to be fyi and it's totally free for students or people who want to pretend to be.

maya is a sack of poo poo, hard to use and free only counts if you're not planning to do anything with it.

autodesk shits on all the products they buy

even in the cg thread people are like "blenders fine, just dont expect to get a job in a big place using it", not that i intend to but as far as making poo poo goes, whatever youre good at is fine and blender is fast and owns and they update it as the world progresses (3ds max cant say this)

word is maya is greatest for animation over other things. who cares. it sucks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

all CG programs are poo poo. maya is poo poo, blender is poo poo, 3dsmax is poo poo, Lightwave is poo poo. they're all just poo poo in different ways from each other, like linuxes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
possibly true

I guess you get used to one brand of poo poo

what sucks is that maya style navigation has become the "norm" and I don't like it. alt left click to spin around? that poo poo sucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maya does essentially everything you could possibly want in a 3d modeling program for games and movies and animation. yes it's got so much poo poo in it that yes it takes an incredibly long time to figure out how to do anything in. but watch some behind the scenes features sometime and try to spot what software all the 3d animators are running. hint, it starts with m

this is extremely true though

Luigi Thirty posted:

all CG programs are poo poo. maya is poo poo, blender is poo poo, 3dsmax is poo poo, Lightwave is poo poo. they're all just poo poo in different ways from each other, like linuxes.

there is no single perfect modeling program. i'm happy 90% of the time with a combination of solidworks and rhino, but both of those fall down when it comes to animation and sometimes i want class-a surfacing features that are only in alias but i don't want to deal with the alias interface and if i want a really good rendering i need to go to maxwell anyway and and and and and...

echinopsis posted:

what sucks is that maya style navigation has become the "norm" and I don't like it. alt left click to spin around? that poo poo sucks

bloo bloo

solidworks: middle click to tumble, ctrl+middle click to pan, shift+middle click or mouse wheel to zoom.

rhino: right click to tumble, shift + right click to pan, ctrl + right click or mouse wheel to zoom (inverse direction of solidworks).

maya, maxwell: alt + left click to tumble, alt + middle click to pan, alt + right click to zoom.

alias: alt+shift+left click to tumble, alt+shift+middle click to pan, alt+shift+right click to zoom.

the cam program we use: left click to tumble, right click to zoom, right + left click simultaneously to pan. middle click + drag crashes to desktop.

i have to keep all of these straight on a daily basis

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

but I just want to make a drat beveled neon colored future cube!!! *presses wrong button in maya, begins global thermonuclear war*

I will go figure out what I have a student license to still and install it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

maya does essentially everything you could possibly want in a 3d modeling program for games and movies and animation. yes it's got so much poo poo in it that yes it takes an incredibly long time to figure out how to do anything in. but watch some behind the scenes features sometime and try to spot what software all the 3d animators are running. hint, it starts with m

this is extremely true though

there is no single perfect modeling program. i'm happy 90% of the time with a combination of solidworks and rhino, but both of those fall down when it comes to animation and sometimes i want class-a surfacing features that are only in alias but i don't want to deal with the alias interface and if i want a really good rendering i need to go to maxwell anyway and and and and and...

bloo bloo

solidworks: middle click to tumble, ctrl+middle click to pan, shift+middle click or mouse wheel to zoom.

rhino: right click to tumble, shift + right click to pan, ctrl + right click or mouse wheel to zoom (inverse direction of solidworks).

maya, maxwell: alt + left click to tumble, alt + middle click to pan, alt + right click to zoom.

alias: alt+shift+left click to tumble, alt+shift+middle click to pan, alt+shift+right click to zoom.

the cam program we use: left click to tumble, right click to zoom, right + left click simultaneously to pan. middle click + drag crashes to desktop.

i have to keep all of these straight on a daily basis

owned by your own life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i remember once spending a long time in rhino trying to make something work. i really like some aspects of using that but if it doesnt want to do X you just cant make it. fuckin drives me insane

this is the blender one i think. it owns
ue4 uses the maya ones

i usually find if i switch between apps often enough i can seamlessly change between them but whne im in one for ages i fall out. mfl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

and try to spot what software all the 3d animators are running. hint, it starts with m

vevo top 40

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
goddamn you echi

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

I kinda thought about making a game like that but it'd be just a simple overworld to distract a bit over the real game which would be HACKING AND HACKER BATTLES over a computer gui screen

because seriously rpg battles are boring as heck

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I never really played the mario golf game on the game boy advance but I think it's like that. but with golf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

goddamn you echi

ahaha classic

can I recommend the official YouTube videos? I've never been so stuck in software before as when I opened up ue4, having no game engine experience I had no idea of how many different angles you needed to tackle a game to make anything work at all. I've got a pretty solid idea now but I wasted my first days trying to work it out myself when I should have immediately watched those youtubes :]

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mostly i need something to do besides "dota", "send resumes to listings on craigslist", and "cry in bed that i am apparently unemployable"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

mostly i need something to do besides "dota", "send resumes to listings on craigslist", and "cry in bed that i am apparently unemployable"

Nice!

what kind of game do you want to make?

a crying in bed simulator?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

click here to purchase more tears

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
depression quest: cj edition

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Nice!

what kind of game do you want to make?

a crying in bed simulator?

i call it This Ain't Reboot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nice!

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

echinopsis posted:

owned by your own life

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Luigi Thirty posted:

i call it This Ain't Reboot

difdn't echidna just say that maya had like 4 tiers of menus? there's a shitload of room left up there for more activities

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

difdn't echidna just say that maya had like 4 tiers of menus? there's a shitload of room left up there for more activities

that's with no detachable popup windows for item attribute adjustment or anything open

it's not too hard really, I can build a little futurecar out of cut up primitives pretty easily

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sagebrush said that I wouldn't encourage the use of maya

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah the little dropdown menu that says "polygons" in the upper left switches between four or five totally different interface sets depending on what yo're doing. all the menus from select right will change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

echinopsis posted:

im barely* using more triangles than Hunter a great amiga game so good