Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No shadow copies? What else runs on that server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gyshall posted:

No shadow copies? What else runs on that server?

It's an NPS server, that's it. IIS is enabled as well since I needed to create a cert request

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

I tried this, still didn't have access. I'll have to try again when back at my desk. But seriously, vss is not enabled on this server and neither is dfs. Neither ever has.

You have to take ownership of the folder too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mierdaan posted:

You have to take ownership of the folder too.

Hmmm. Priorities changed at work, so I threw some disk at it and will have to circle back.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I do hope you go back, even if oops DFS was turned on, then off things like conflicted and deleted and staging could be housing unused data.

was this/is this a domain controller at one point?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

incoherent posted:

I do hope you go back, even if oops DFS was turned on, then off things like conflicted and deleted and staging could be housing unused data.

was this/is this a domain controller at one point?

No, it's only ever been an NPS/CA box

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ok, this is weird and I've reproduced this on a few machines...

code:
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /update /reliable:yes /manualpeerlist:"EXAMPLE.COM"
What doesn't make any sense to me is no matter what value I put into manualpeerlist it always acts like it executes properly, what the hell?

My ideal script, what's irritating me is that even if the resync command fails it still gives a ERRORLEVEL of 0. I'm going to run this as a scheduled task but I need to be 100% certain the script won't fail, or lockup the server if it can't reach a timeserver, etc

code:
@echo off
w32tm /resync
if %ERRORLEVEL%== 0 goto :next
echo "Error. Exited with status: %ERRORLEVEL%
goto :end

:next "Successfully Synchronized Time"

:end
echo "Done".
EDIT

I think I am going to use this instead, I don't like parsing text but it seems to work...

code:
@echo off
w32tm /resync | find "sucessfully"
if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto :next
echo "Error! Errorlevel %ERRORLEVEL%"
goto :end

:next
echo "Successful. Errorlevel %ERRORLEVEL%"

:end
echo "Script Completed."

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 28, 2014

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Our ERP consultant set up our web-based CRM application in the Default Web Site site in IIS (on Server 2008 R2). We want our users to be able to access the application from outside of our network but because of the current setup it's impossible for us to make a simple binding to a http://crm.businessurl.com subdomain.

What are our options at this point?

We've tried making a separate site that points to the folder containing all of the CRM files, but I'm guessing there's a lot more integration going on in the application pool itself because this setup failed with 404 errors, and no amount of massaging the URL produced anything that worked. Operating under the assumption that we can't just move the CRM application from one site to another, we're considering trying to use a second site with a binding to http://crm.businessurl.com to redirect to something like http://internal.businessurl.com/crm. Is there a better option available to us?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could try making it available to the world through a reverse proxy, but if you were getting a billion 404 errors then it sounds like the URL might be set within the application for when it needs to generate links etc. Do you still get the 404s when you browse via IP address, or does it redirect you to the URL?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a freeware find-and-replace for filenames? OneDrive can't sync any file with a # symbol in the name and the app is so loving stupid that it won't automatically remove the pound signs automatically or even let you brose to location on the popup windows that lists all the offending files.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a freeware find-and-replace for filenames? OneDrive can't sync any file with a # symbol in the name and the app is so loving stupid that it won't automatically remove the pound signs automatically or even let you brose to location on the popup windows that lists all the offending files.

Write a python script ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

Write a python script ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's Windows, use Powershell :eng101:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's Windows, use Powershell :eng101:

No kidding, this is a great babbys first powershell script to get started with. Challenge mode is to write it as a one-liner and then set it up as a windows scheduler task without wrapping it inside a .cmd file.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I'll check out that stupid powershell.

Also, I'm reading that some linux thingies like Samba/Zentyal can be Active Directory domains now. Bad idea, or really bad idea? I only need a domain for basic LDAP/GPO and to link up with Spiceworks. Basically to get my 200 laptops off a workgroup and have some semblance of inventory. Buying Windows Server and all the CALs for 400 laptops is going to run at least 20 grand. Can this all be replaced with a Samba VM, or will I spend the rest of my life figuring out bugs/hacks? Could be good job security!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Zero VGS posted:

Also, I'm reading that some linux thingies like Samba/Zentyal can be Active Directory domains now. Bad idea, or really bad idea? I only need a domain for basic LDAP/GPO and to link up with Spiceworks. Basically to get my 200 laptops off a workgroup and have some semblance of inventory. Buying Windows Server and all the CALs for 400 laptops is going to run at least 20 grand. Can this all be replaced with a Samba VM, or will I spend the rest of my life figuring out bugs/hacks? Could be good job security!

Depends, do you hate yourself?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I had a recruiter look me up on linkedin, then instead of messaging me through there. He called my desk by going through the reception and asking for me.

Recruiters don't give no shits nowadays eh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

Don't try and do AD with anything other than AD, it's not worth the pain.

You need to win this battle to get some sort of infrastructure spend happening before you really need it and it's even more of a struggle.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't try and do AD with anything other than AD, it's not worth the pain.

You need to win this battle to get some sort of infrastructure spend happening before you really need it and it's even more of a struggle.

Well, if we're at 200 PCs and scaling to 400 over the next year, what's my best bet for value? Two servers, a few copies copies of Win Server 2012 R2 Standard, spin u pthe VMs I need, and buy a user CAL for every employee? The pricing for Server/CALs doesn't seem to bad on NewEgg.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh my god why are new SQL cluster instances such a loving pain in the rear end

orange sky
May 7, 2007

devmd01 posted:

What do you mean?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

devmd01 posted:

Because SQL (That's the answer for anything SQL really).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Well, if we're at 200 PCs and scaling to 400 over the next year, what's my best bet for value? Two servers, a few copies copies of Win Server 2012 R2 Standard, spin u pthe VMs I need, and buy a user CAL for every employee? The pricing for Server/CALs doesn't seem to bad on NewEgg.

Stop buying stuff from newegg, and get with a VARs (or 3...for quote compliance).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Because SQL (That's the answer for anything SQL really).

I find SQL Server 2012/2014 pretty awesome actually :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How did SQL function in the 32 bit days? Was there a workaround for the 4GB limit?

We have some 32 bit IIS servers (legacy software) that do a lot of RAM caching and the 3.4GB RAM limit is like slamming your hand in a car door.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hadlock posted:

How did SQL function in the 32 bit days? Was there a workaround for the 4GB limit?

We have some 32 bit IIS servers (legacy software) that do a lot of RAM caching and the 3.4GB RAM limit is like slamming your hand in a car door.

Yeah, AWE, and it was kinda weird and kludgey.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191481.aspx

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hold up a second. So I was saying I only needed a Win 2012 server to push out group policy, inventory the PCs, ADUC, basic stuff.

I'm realizing now that Azure can spin up a 2012 server that can act as a complete DC over VPN, and instead of needing to buy a 2012 Server license, they include it in the VM cost and charge by the minute.

Is there any reason I can't just plan one hour a week to join new laptops to the DC, and shut the DC down for the rest of the week to let the laptops function from cached credentials? That seems like it might be too good to be true for what I'm getting out of it and how cheap it seems like it would be.

incoherent posted:

Stop buying stuff from newegg, and get with a VARs (or 3...for quote compliance).

I have 3, but hey, Newegg beats all their quotes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Because the credentials won't be cached forever, what if a user forgets a password, mapped drives change, etc

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Right, but I mean, I could still turn the VM on for changes and back off when I'm done with it. Or at a bare minimum, scheduling it to turn off/on when safely outside of our working hours.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Nothing about that sounds like a good idea. Spend some time working on your sales pitch for why you need megabux to pull this off properly. Everything you've suggested in this thread will only end with you attached to a dialysis machine with no health insurance after you get fired.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Changes aren't broadcast to every computer. Turning it on to reset someone's password, then turning it off immediately isn't going to do... well, anything. Cached credentials exist to make the computer somewhat usable when it's off the corporate network, or in the event of a temporary DC outage. They don't exist so you can try to run Active Directory without a domain controller. That just won't work.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Real pros shop provantage

Also you're spending tax on physical deliveries on a pure digital good. Depending on your state, you may not have to pay for any of that. I agree, all this is pure bullshit and I know you want to "just do tech" and find the first solution but sooner or later its all going to be meetings about the meetings to spend money.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Would you guys like me to create an Azure megathread? As far as I can see there's none and it's really going up on demand from what I can see, all our clients are asking about it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Real pros shop provantage

Also you're spending tax on physical deliveries on a pure digital good. Depending on your state, you may not have to pay for any of that. I agree, all this is pure bullshit and I know you want to "just do tech" and find the first solution but sooner or later its all going to be meetings about the meetings to spend money.

I don't get the subtleties in SKUs but I think this is supposed to be the best 2012 R2 server price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416799&cm_re=windows_2012_standard-_-32-416-799-_-Product

Also I seem to remember Provantage being on a banned reseller list when I was in the navy or something.

I don't get what you're talking about with regards to tax. As I understand it, if we buy and use anything in Massachusetts, even from NewEgg etc., it's on us to calculate sales tax and pay it after the fact if the seller doesn't collect it.

Thalagyrt posted:

Changes aren't broadcast to every computer. Turning it on to reset someone's password, then turning it off immediately isn't going to do... well, anything. Cached credentials exist to make the computer somewhat usable when it's off the corporate network, or in the event of a temporary DC outage. They don't exist so you can try to run Active Directory without a domain controller. That just won't work.

I know I'm not using the cached credentials as intended, but I was basically planning for them in the first place because I need these laptops to still actually function when the inevitable DC disaster strikes (or dumbass brings laptop home and can't connect to his own wifi). I think scheduled shutdown at night at least could help me test how the network is going to survive if we lose internet or Azure itself has downtime (it has happened before, apparently), and if it saves us a shitload of money and it easily reversible (i.e. if it winds up sucking, I just leave it up 24/7) then all the better.

orange sky posted:

Would you guys like me to create an Azure megathread? As far as I can see there's none and it's really going up on demand from what I can see, all our clients are asking about it.

Please do. Should we include AWS? I don't use it but I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread for that either and it's like 90% the same right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a DC on 2012 R2 running in Azure with a site-to-site VPN back to our office via a Sonicwall and it's nice to have for a bit of peace of mind that there is a complete directory acting as the sync source for Google Apps etc. that will survive the building getting destroyed.

It also costs about £40 a month to keep running. If you are seriously considering shutting it down to save money they get a new loving job.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I know I'm not using the cached credentials as intended, but I was basically planning for them in the first place because I need these laptops to still actually function when the inevitable DC disaster strikes (or dumbass brings laptop home and can't connect to his own wifi). I think scheduled shutdown at night at least could help me test how the network is going to survive if we lose internet or Azure itself has downtime (it has happened before, apparently), and if it saves us a shitload of money and it easily reversible (i.e. if it winds up sucking, I just leave it up 24/7) then all the better.

The Transit bandwidth is the most expensive part of Azure. This is data you send out from your Azure VM. Don't do this. It's not worth it. We have a DC in Azure as a DR for our internal domain. It runs over $100/month to keep it up and running 24/7.

Go find a VAR and pick up proper licensing for Windows Server and your Client machines. Your problem will only get worse over as you grow. As an organization, it's time to put your big boy pants on and get licensing and best practice infrastructure under control.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A cloud thread would be really interesting...

Zaepho posted:

The Transit bandwidth is the most expensive part of Azure. This is data you send out from your Azure VM. Don't do this. It's not worth it. We have a DC in Azure as a DR for our internal domain. It runs over $100/month to keep it up and running 24/7.

Go find a VAR and pick up proper licensing for Windows Server and your Client machines. Your problem will only get worse over as you grow. As an organization, it's time to put your big boy pants on and get licensing and best practice infrastructure under control.

How many users do you have? Although I can't imagine one users taking up more than a few kilobytes but what's the general rule of thumb here?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Not a ton of users (less than 200) but we're aggressive with the inter-site replication times since we have an ADFS setup in Azure (due to no generator and limited UPS capacity for our internal servers) for O365, Dynamics, ETC (No generator and limited UPS capacity for our internal stuff). makes them act a little more like an internal application. I guess the SCOM agent on there is also trickling out a bit of data. It's really adds up over time.

The CPU/Memory time aren't what eats up the money, it's the bandwidth. Anything sent outbound from an Azure VM will count towards your transit costs unless you do ExpressRoute to your internal network.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zaepho posted:

I've rolled my own servers for a decade now but this company has no server hardware, the server rooms have no functioning air conditioning and it's a big union project to do it, and the users are moving desks and even across floors constantly. We might even switch buildings. If you're saying a few DCs and 24/7 bandwidth would cost me $100-200 a month on Azure that's already cheaper than buying servers and 2012 licenses locally.

I guess the big question is: are you saying that even with this huge economy of scale Azure has, and the price competition with Amazon, that setting up an entire local server room is still going to be cheaper in the long run? If Microsoft can't break even from a value standpoint that's pretty sad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It depends,

Licensing is complicated and constantly changing but from the work I've done it's great solution for small businesses that have 20-50 users but when you start hitting a 100+ then cloud vs. on-prem then it's not as attractive especially if you already have an existing environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zaepho posted:

Not a ton of users (less than 200) but we're aggressive with the inter-site replication times since we have an ADFS setup in Azure (due to no generator and limited UPS capacity for our internal servers) for O365, Dynamics, ETC (No generator and limited UPS capacity for our internal stuff). makes them act a little more like an internal application. I guess the SCOM agent on there is also trickling out a bit of data. It's really adds up over time.

The CPU/Memory time aren't what eats up the money, it's the bandwidth. Anything sent outbound from an Azure VM will count towards your transit costs unless you do ExpressRoute to your internal network.

That's a lot more poo poo than "a DC in Azure as DR". I'm not surprised it's costing you a more. For reference the DC that I have running has transferred 150MB in, 75MB out over the past 3 weeks.