Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it was once a breath of fresh air in a stale piss world but it's time has long passed and its creators have warped it into a twisted shell of its former self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thanks for the dead link.

Soricidus posted:

at least we can all agree that ubuntu is bad

:laffo: if you run Ubuntu on your servers

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ahmeni posted:

it's the windows xp to debians windows 2000 NT 4.

FTFY if you are talking about debian stable.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

It's either because everything in tech is misogynist, or women have a lower incidence of autism. Maybe both.

all the beardos are gross and misogynistic enough to force the exclusion of women

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like debian stable because it's not constantly pushing untested security updates that break your graphics driver.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't think anyone who makes a linux actually uses more than one monitor

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i don't think anyone who makes windows uses a high dpi display ballmer_80inch_1080p_metro.jpg

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

windows 8 is also a pos. almost gnome3 bad.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't think anyone who makes a linux actually uses more than one monitor
the evil non-free nvidia drivers handle multiple monitors as well as any os i've ever had the misfortune to use

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ubuntu works fine and comes w/ all the software a normal person needs. its a good ting to have on earth. also gnome 3 ftw meine freunds or w.e u say my friends in german

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

they work great until an untested kernel security update breaks them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
after using unbonito at work a lot (IT budget == 0 dollhairs) its wierd that on Windows

1) its got no pakcage manager

2) notepad has no tabs

3) file manager has got no tabs... (wtf is the deal with this)

4) its not to spotlight thing.. on gnome u press the windpow key and type and things come up, files, programs, etc...)

5) no unfiied settings place

6) its wierd that windows didnt ship w/ office.... wtf?!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yeah windows is a pos os

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

windows has search, just Use Bing Live Desktop Search With Bing! Active Desktop Technology(tm)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Only available on the greatest operating system on earth, Microsoft Windows 8.1.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Windows is so bad I lol that anyone uses it in tyool 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

windows 7 is pretty nice

I like it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i don't see anything else that matches it for functionality, reliability, and compatibility. metro is an elegant and slick design that works well on just about any form factor ime

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
windows leaves a lot 2 be desired but its got good drivers.. rly good. my videos render a LOT faster on windows. works with CUDA... (pagancow thigns...) also video games. its also got a lot of cool programs and it runs OLD programs which is cool in my book. overall ida thot that WIndows would add normal OS things i listed above and it would be mega ownage. wtf

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

windows 7 is pretty nice

I like it

Nice deprecated os idiot

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

windows 7 is pretty nice

I like it

7 is also good

the key thing is that you're running Microsoft software. those guys at redmond have been hand-crafting computer operation systems for 30 years and i wouldn't trust my computing experience to anyone else

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
overall windows has the best programs but the worst usability.. if they could fix the window manager it would mega own. and add a package manager ffs wtf dl some hosed up exe from jons software site, lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
GNOME 3 is the best window manager there is, bar none. :smuggo:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Smythe posted:

windows leaves a lot 2 be desired but its got good drivers.. rly good. my videos render a LOT faster on windows. works with CUDA... (pagancow thigns...) also video games. its also got a lot of cool programs and it runs OLD programs which is cool in my book. overall ida thot that WIndows would add normal OS things i listed above and it would be mega ownage. wtf

Smythe posted:

overall windows has the best programs but the worst usability.. if they could fix the window manager it would mega own. and add a package manager ffs wtf dl some hosed up exe from jons software site, lmfao

i'm glad you like windows smythe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use the app store

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Windows 7 EOL is jan 2015 lmfao

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

theadder posted:

i use the app store

lol

apps are for children, trainables and canadians

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also a cool thing abhout windows is remembeer the old "theres an app for that" ad compaign apple did, well its true but NOT on the iphone it but its INSTEAD on WINDOWS. thers a Porgram for everything. bulk renamer, video transcoder, file encrypter, xlx -> doc converter, idk man. evoltional pixel tester.... monitor spazz doer, keylogger, NETBUS ... hosed up cloud jnotepad gfrontend.. ANCIENT GAME, Indi Game, hosed up Strange Tool.. Joes Cool Gif Animator, etc etc ... all thes cool wierd 1-use programs on WINDOWS ONLY. sometimes when im on OSX im like "i need a program to do this wierd thing" and it doesnt exist, or, some gently caress lord was $9.99 for Bulk File Zip Password Setter program. another cool thjigms thats only on Windows

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

count the days till windows 8 end of extended support, january 10, 2023

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

your fuckin kiddin me lol

i thought XP just like expired or something, wasn't that released over a decade ago? how can xp get a million years of life but 7 gets killed so fast?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Smythe posted:

also a cool thing abhout windows is remembeer the old "theres an app for that" ad compaign apple did, well its true but NOT on the iphone it but its INSTEAD on WINDOWS. thers a Porgram for everything. bulk renamer, video transcoder, file encrypter, xlx -> doc converter, idk man. evoltional pixel tester.... monitor spazz doer, keylogger, NETBUS ... hosed up cloud jnotepad gfrontend.. ANCIENT GAME, Indi Game, hosed up Strange Tool.. Joes Cool Gif Animator, etc etc ... all thes cool wierd 1-use programs on WINDOWS ONLY. sometimes when im on OSX im like "i need a program to do this wierd thing" and it doesnt exist, or, some gently caress lord was $9.99 for Bulk File Zip Password Setter program. another cool thjigms thats only on Windows

windows really is the operation system of choice for productive members of society :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

your fuckin kiddin me lol

i thought XP just like expired or something, wasn't that released over a decade ago? how can xp get a million years of life but 7 gets killed so fast?

end of main support is next year, end of extended support is 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

whats the difference at this point? its not like ms adds new features to win7. ohh wow won't be able to get ie 12 or office 2013 for win 7 big loss.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

as long as steam continues to run on win7 it will fulfill its sole purpose

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
symthe i think u need to work on meeting your typo quota, you're in danger of people thinking you're not enough of a tryhard.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

symthe i think u need to work on meeting your typo quota, you're in danger of people thinking you're not enough of a tryhard.

Sorry, is this better? I just like to type stream of consciousness, and I'm a horrible typist who epically failed mavis beacon class.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

7 is also good

the key thing is that you're running Microsoft software. those guys at redmond have been hand-crafting computer operation systems for 30 years and i wouldn't trust my computing experience to anyone else

I bet the amish could make a better OS than redmond.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Last Chance posted:

whats the difference at this point? its not like ms adds new features to win7. ohh wow won't be able to get ie 12 or office 2013 for win 7 big loss.

new windows features lol

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

theadder posted:

new windows features lol

you can copy/paste out of cmd.exe now!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Serious question. Why do I have to download 500mb of outdated packages so I can download 500mb of current packages? What is so hard about automating a process to build a current image every other week or so, and clearly label it as current rather than the official release? Every bit is sacred when AT&T is your only option.