Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Hope no one was invested in ORB. Their launch was a total loss and now their shares are down over 14%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Arkane posted:

Yahoo has been a big winner for me as well...feels good man.

As of this second, Alibaba makes up anywhere from 55% to 85% of Yahoo's market cap, depending on what you assume for taxes, so yeah it is safe to conclude it will move in fairly close lockstep for the next 11 months.

Hell Yeah. I wish I kept up the nerve to buy more when it dipped below $40 after the BABA IPO, but I was already uncomfortable with my position. I'm selling November 22 calls for $50 to cover my position and I'm going to hope they get called.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
SPX edging towards 2000 again. Will be interesting to see if the resistance there causes another dip.

I'm probably going to close my YHOO position around 47/48 if the buying tapers off. I'm betting on a bunch of profit taking right before it gets to 50.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Hope no one was invested in ORB. Their launch was a total loss and now their shares are down over 14%.

I sold yesterday to raise cash. Didn't even know about this launch.

Time to load up on ORB. Will make sure to pick some up at the bell. They're still set to bought out by ATK at the end of this year for what will likely be the equivalent of $30+ per share. They're getting ATK Stock but first ATK has to spin-off their (booming) Sporting Good Business. So there is some uncertainty as to what the rest of ATK will be valued at. This is important because ORB stock holders will be receiving shares of ATK in the buyout.

Best Regards,
RG

RichardGamingo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RichardGamingo posted:

I sold yesterday to raise cash. Didn't even know about this launch.

Time to load up on ORB. Will make sure to pick some up at the bell. They're still set to bought out by ATK at the end of this year for what will likely be the equivalent of $30+ per share. They're getting ATK Stock but first ATK has to spin-off their (booming) Sporting Good Business. So there is some uncertainty as to what the rest of ATK will be valued at. This is important because ORB stock holders will be receiving shares of ATK in the buyout.

Best Regards,
RG

Interesting....ironically to vote on the merger in December, you have to be a shareholder of record October 29th (tomorrow).

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

Arkane posted:

Interesting....ironically to vote on the merger in December, you have to be a shareholder of record October 29th (tomorrow).

As the strange path goes, I had picked up a single contractual put option at $25 per share to insure my position, expiry December, for pennies. I have decided to re-enter this position but it may mostly be via Jan. calls. I'm bullish on the per share value still despite what the price may do tomorrow. Going to look at this as opportunity to start by putting my bet on some further price volatility in the morning.. Trader mode activated. Going to keep my position biased long over-all.

I reckon my plan is to get $4.20 for my single ORB put at $25 pretty early on and check out the puts around 17 and calls around 30 during the day.

Best Regards,
RG

p.s. probably going to net like $2.50 for my put in reality but that's good enough.

RichardGamingo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 29, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was in ORB for about 4 minutes. In at 25.07, out at 26.24. Works for me!

Thanks for the heads up on that merger.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
Lot of tech getting busted up lately, probably bargains everywhere.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I think markets are poised to go higher but decided to exit my XIV trade today @34.75. Also, crude can't seem to catch a bid at all so I think it heads to either the 2011 or 2012 low around the 75-77 area.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GPRO is my new NFLX: always forgetting to buy options before earnings.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RichardGamingo posted:

Best Regards,
RG

We don't sign our posts here on SA. Everyone knows it's you, because your name and avatar are right next to the post, it's neat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

We don't sign our posts here on SA. Everyone knows it's you, because your name and avatar are right next to the post, it's neat.
Holy crap, he does it on all his posts. :stare:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

GPRO is my new NFLX: always forgetting to buy options before earnings.

gpro is so schizophrenic, would you really have played its earnings?

salutations & best wishes,

dnova

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully GPRO goes back into the 90s

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DNova posted:

dnova
Given hard far it had fallen, the safer bet was to the upside, though a volatility spread also would have worked.

Buy Low Sell High,
Josh Lyman

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

DNova posted:

dnova
GoPro is the weirdest thing. Wild fluctuations, unexplainable highs... I just don't understand the hype over a company that sells pocket-sized stunt cameras. :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

melon cat posted:

GoPro is the weirdest thing. Wild fluctuations, unexplainable highs... I just don't understand the hype over a company that sells pocket-sized stunt cameras. :psyduck:
Bro do you even outdoors?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

melon cat posted:

They're going to sell shitloads of them over Christmas, more than you can ever believe. They haven't really penetrated international. The short-term outlook is super mega ultra bullish.

Of course the company is also trading at a huge multiple, so this is all factored in.

This was a real good quarter for them and they raised guidance. Expect upgrades tomorrow. I would want to go short on the stock, but not at these prices. Christmas mania could take it close to 100 again, possibly even past 100.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

They're going to sell shitloads of them over Christmas, more than you can ever believe. They haven't really penetrated international. The short-term outlook is super mega ultra bullish.

Of course the company is also trading at a huge multiple, so this is all factored in.

This was a real good quarter for them and they raised guidance. Expect upgrades tomorrow. I would want to go short on the stock, but not at these prices. Christmas mania could take it close to 100 again, possibly even past 100.
Christmas-mania is priced in to some extent, but a good quarter is a good quarter, and a good forecast is even better.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

melon cat posted:

The company is profitable.

That's more than can be said of Facebook, Twitter and a few hundred others out there.

BTFD,

LTH

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Facebook has been profitable since the IPO, probably before that.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
TWTR has not made a dime, though their shareholder equity has increased by three billion in the last year. Always hard for me to wrap my head around that...

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Another what'd-I-miss? post.

No div history.

Cost is $25.56 credit. Value I lose at exp is the strike, $25.
$25.56 - $25 = $0.56. $56 profit per contract on expiration, minus commissions and fees.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 31, 2014

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Just grabbed at the HNL.TO knife for the 5th time - they do oilfield service, and they can't find a win anywhere lately. I'm usually a "stops set as soon as I buy" kind of guy, but for some reason I just see "discount" every time this thing falls. God help me.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2014

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Right now I'm seeing pretty big spreads on the underlying (DRTX: Bid/lots 23.89/15...Ask/lots 24.5/9), and on the options themselves. I guess just make sure everything is lined up right before you commit to one part of your plan (ie. don't rely on just the "last price" there).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks. I made the execution today at the prices posted; only bought 2 contracts since I'm new to options and their risks. This opportunity appeared to exist for most of today, which makes me think something weird's going on.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Christmas-mania is priced in to some extent, but a good quarter is a good quarter, and a good forecast is even better.

Guys, you know that's not how it works. Stocks don't go up at Christmas because companies sell more product. These are billion dollar corporations with revenue forecasts going forward for years. I hope I'm just being whooshed here :/

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dominoes posted:

No div history.

Cost is $25.56 credit. Value I lose at exp is the strike, $25.
$25.56 - $25 = $0.56. $56 profit per contract on expiration, minus commissions and fees.

Are you making money on this, or? I keep seeing you post these posts about trying to make these ultimate option arbitrage trades, and it feels like that one time me and my friends got really drunk in AC and thought we cracked the formula for craps.

Edit:

Cheers,
DS

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

District Selectman posted:

Are you making money on this, or? I keep seeing you post these posts about trying to make these ultimate option arbitrage trades, and it feels like that one time me and my friends got really drunk in AC and thought we cracked the formula for craps.
I haven't been doing this long enough to say. I held the first one I posted about until exp. I made the profit, but expect to be billed for the dividend in a few days. I sold the second one before it went ex-div for a slight profit. I won't find out about these two until Nov 22 when they expire. I haven't been home during market hours the past few weeks, so haven't done more. The XONE calls were assigned the day after I sold them, which was weird. I'm holding the short stock until exp, leaving the arbitrage unchanged.

My strategy in craps/blackjack this summer in Vegas was pick the table with the hottest dealer.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2014

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Dominoes posted:

I haven't been doing this long enough to say. I held the first one I posted about until exp. I made the profit, but expect to be billed for the dividend in a few days. I sold the second one before it went ex-div for a slight profit. I won't find out about these two until Nov 22 when they expire. I haven't been home during market hours the past few weeks, so haven't done more. The XONE calls were assigned the day after I sold them, which was weird. I'm holding the short stock until exp, leaving the arbitrage unchanged.

My strategy in craps/blackjack this summer in Vegas was pick the table with the hottest dealer.

I think it's extremely unlikely you are going find free money strategies in the options market. Everything should be priced to perfection. So it seems to me you are probably missing something...especially if you were assigned on your short calls.

Although I don't claim to be an expert.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If I thought Vietnam looked good and wanted to invest in it over the medium to long term, what would be the best way to do that?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kal Torak posted:

I think it's extremely unlikely you are going find free money strategies in the options market. Everything should be priced to perfection. So it seems to me you are probably missing something...especially if you were assigned on your short calls.

Although I don't claim to be an expert.

In the times of trading algorithms and high power computing, I'd imagine it's impossible. Even the prices that we see on our screens at a given moment are not the actual prices that the stocks/options are currently trading at.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Guys, you know that's not how it works. Stocks don't go up at Christmas because companies sell more product. These are billion dollar corporations with revenue forecasts going forward for years. I hope I'm just being whooshed here :/

I always thought the end of the year bump was due to companies who pay their retirement plan matches then.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

nelson posted:

If I thought Vietnam looked good and wanted to invest in it over the medium to long term, what would be the best way to do that?

I invest in a Vietnamese fund. That is probably the easy option.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nelson posted:

buy a few bowls of pho and freeze them

cheers,
mindphlux

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GPRO decided to up 10% Monday after a huge post-earnings jump on Friday, and BABA is up a bunch heading into earnings this morning.

I closed large positions in both in the last month or so, before these gains. :suicide:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The belief that Christmas will be a blowout quarter (above expectations) because it is the "must-have" gift will be an underlying strength under the stock in the short term I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to 100 before Christmas. So if one were looking to short, I think there could be a better entry point over the next couple of months. Or maybe I am wrong, who knows.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Got some AMZN puts at open, 290 strike for this week. Wanted some GPRO but the premium on those options are still ridiculous.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Anyone have any insight on Wet Seal? I know it goes against the best of breed strategy, but they replaced a lot of upper management, including bringing back the guy who was there when it was in the $5s. I bought at 45 cents and it promptly fell to 32, but it's moving up again. I thought I had found a bottom but I was wrong.

I know you guys do mostly options but I'm curious if this is a potentially good buy to go long on for someone who doesn't really day trade, or if I should just jump ship if and when it comes back up to where I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Anyone have any insight on Wet Seal? I know it goes against the best of breed strategy, but they replaced a lot of upper management, including bringing back the guy who was there when it was in the $5s. I bought at 45 cents and it promptly fell to 32, but it's moving up again. I thought I had found a bottom but I was wrong.

I know you guys do mostly options but I'm curious if this is a potentially good buy to go long on for someone who doesn't really day trade, or if I should just jump ship if and when it comes back up to where I bought it.

Tbh I wouldn't mess with any stock on any company with a market cap less than 1 billion, because at that point its usually straight up gambling i.e. penny stocks