Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brumaldo posted:

Finally, after more than a goddamn loving year of waiting I can play this poo poo. :madmax:
I'm not even particularly hyped or have huge expectations, I'm just looking forward to some pleasant SMT shenanigans, so I probably won't be disappointed.
Gotta find that little poo poo Navarre, and muscle memory is already coming back. It's time to grind like a motherfucker and become overleveled via teeny tiny increments of XP, because I'm a goddamn maniac!

Is there some app I should give priority to, besides skill slots obviously, or I should I just get whatever?

Fundraise is an awful way of grinding cash but gets great dialogue out of bosses, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Time to pump MAG! :haw:

Never put any points in strength btw; DEX is just better

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never put any points in strength btw; DEX is just better

It's a little misleading, STR is literally just the attack command, DEX is all physical commands, so either pump MAG, pump DEX or pump both if you're some weird hybrid.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the Scout apps were good. You should have enough points to get everything you could want by the end, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a little misleading, STR is literally just the attack command, DEX is all physical commands, so either pump MAG, pump DEX or pump both if you're some weird hybrid.

Max out luck only like I did.

Actually I think there's a part later in the game where you need 100 Str and 100 Dex to unlock ultimate weapons.

E: only if you pic neutral path

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

No, physical skills take strength and dexterity into account. They just give greater weight to the latter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember Isabeau having any character at all. She was just there.

Hey! She loved Rose of Versailles, showing she has good taste.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

she liked anime

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I think I'm gonna enjoy negotiating with demons.

WHICH PART OF YOU IS TASTIEST

uh...I'm not tasty?

YOU MUST BE TOO YOUNG TO TASTE GOOD, I'LL JOIN YOU AND WAIT TILL YOU ARE

Oh buddy. You'll get fused looong before that. :allears:

Also screw you Mokoi, you little poo poo! I'm not giving you any makka, I already know how this goes! :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's not surprising

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Manatee Cannon posted:

She has two character traits: She likes comic books and is indecisive. If she actually chose sides in the various alignment-related conversations it probably would have been better. Instead she just gets to say "Welp this sure is a disagreement, what do you think MC?"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

She has two character traits: She likes comic books and is indecisive. If she actually chose sides in the various alignment-related conversations it probably would have been better. Instead she just gets to say "Welp this sure is a disagreement, what do you think MC?"

Quite appropriate for the Neutral Heroine

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I always kind of like Isabeau. Everybody else in the party are these people picked by destiny to determine the fate of the world and stuck in the middle is just an ordinary person trying to make sense of it all. Also she is maybe the bravest character in all of SHTIV in the chaos/law routes as she chooses to willingly fight both the MC (who by that point everybody had come to terms with how dangerous he is) and the most powerful entity of either chaos or law on the planet by herself.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was sad I couldn't turn in Japanese voices for her alone, since Miyuki Sawashiro owns.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

"what kind of world do you think is just?" when in reality it's "what makes you feel good about yourself?"

Well-said as no one in either of the two games could really convince the MC to follow their ideology account it how dumb is sounds to anyone else but them :v:

I thought one of the negatives of Ronaldo's idea is how he was essentially copying Communism and as we all know that never ended well in the past. Sure, it could work if everyone is 100% dedicated and the system is not corrupt yet IDK any examples in the past where it worked, if ever, for long term.

Yamato's idea was flawed because wouldn't it just be one giant King of the Hill game? Everyone would be endlessly fighting over power and how is that a good way to manage society? In the end the most brutal person would be the leader and I can't imagine it'd be OK w/everyone else who's less fortunate.

Ofc, this is all based on my own conjecture.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alder posted:

Well-said as no one in either of the two games could really convince the MC to follow their ideology account it how dumb is sounds to anyone else but them :v:

I thought one of the negatives of Ronaldo's idea is how he was essentially copying Communism and as we all know that never ended well in the past. Sure, it could work if everyone is 100% dedicated and the system is not corrupt yet IDK any examples in the past where it worked, if ever, for long term.

Yamato's idea was flawed because wouldn't it just be one giant King of the Hill game? Everyone would be endlessly fighting over power and how is that a good way to manage society? In the end the most brutal person would be the leader and I can't imagine it'd be OK w/everyone else who's less fortunate.

Ofc, this is all based on my own conjecture.

I think Ronaldo's ending text pointed out that they only had so many supplies to spread around, so everyone only got a tiny fraction of food and medicine to sustain them on. I have a feeling that no one would be willing or even be capable of thinking about sharing their supplies with others who needed them more because of the new world order as written by Polaris. They've also lost all drive to compete and attain new heights, so there's the problem of stagnation.

Edit: wait that totally is just communism

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Oh my god. I think Atlus is actually trolling me now.

I come back from work after I leave it downloading, get past the first cutscene (state your name! seeing law/chaos guy) then the first cutscene with the castle show u-

ERROR.

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CONSOLE AND TRY AGAIN.

IF PROBLEM PERSISTS PLEASE CONTACT- etc etc.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

:negative:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Even with 18 months it's still buggier than the US version? :psyduck:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

Even with 18 months it's still buggier than the US version? :psyduck:

I have a criminal amount of space left on my SD card, so I am going to attempt to remove stuff from that and then try once more.

If not, I am going to delete and redownload overnight... I can do that right? I don't want to pay again :(

EDIT: Looks like a faulty download. Gonna re-download and try again tomorrow morning.

Samael fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 31, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

They've also lost all drive to compete and attain new heights, so there's the problem of stagnation.

Also, I thought it was just foreshadowing the mass starvation and rioting which would shortly follow the lack of supplies for everyone. Um, it's like no one ever paid attention in history class :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alder posted:

Also, I thought it was just foreshadowing the mass starvation and rioting which would shortly follow the lack of supplies for everyone. Um, it's like no one ever paid attention in history class :argh:

How does that saying go? Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alder posted:

You got the mass starvation part right at least. Rioting is actively impossible because, again, Polaris removes free will. Everyone is hard coded to follow and agree with the extreme "egalitarian" method that Polaris was told to put in place. So he did. Without doing a drat thing about all the problems therein, because Polaris is just a monkey's paw in the guise of a god.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Samael posted:

I have a criminal amount of space left on my SD card, so I am going to attempt to remove stuff from that and then try once more.

If not, I am going to delete and redownload overnight... I can do that right? I don't want to pay again :(

EDIT: Looks like a faulty download. Gonna re-download and try again tomorrow morning.

You don't have to pay again no. Also here's a tip from me to make downloading giant stuff from the Eshop easier. Apparently the Eshop transfers data really slow so connections that have high speed overwhelm it and cause errors. But if you set your router/modem speed to a lower download rate you won't get errors. I had the same problem with Smash Bros when I tried to download it, and switching the speed downloaded it in like 20 minutes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Brumaldo posted:

Finally, after more than a goddamn loving year of waiting I can play this poo poo. :madmax:

Very much this. I had pretty much given up hope and decided at some point in the future I might pick up a used 3ds and game from ebay or something. Was a nice random surprise last night.

quote:

It's time to grind like a motherfucker and become overleveled via teeny tiny increments of XP, because I'm a goddamn maniac!

Also this. Since I'm a complete sperg, is there anything that's the equivalent of "Don't get rid of Pixie" or "Go 100% physical" like there was in SMT3? Any early decisions that come back to bone you because now you're level 70 and useless?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Mailer posted:

Very much this. I had pretty much given up hope and decided at some point in the future I might pick up a used 3ds and game from ebay or something. Was a nice random surprise last night.

Also this. Since I'm a complete sperg, is there anything that's the equivalent of "Don't get rid of Pixie" or "Go 100% physical" like there was in SMT3? Any early decisions that come back to bone you because now you're level 70 and useless?

Not really, overall the game is really not very difficult once you get past the first area. Unless you are going for the super bosses, but they are mostly either paid DLC or extremely rare encounters.

In my opinion magic builds are the best in this game, you can put a ridiculous amount of points into magic on your level ups and go over the limit of 200. Just about all of the bosses in the game have an elemental weakness. Also like with the newer persona games it is best with the magic build to have a good skill in each element on your main character, and whisper them onto the MC multiple times because they become more powerful that way.

As somebody else mentioned, it is good to buy the scout apps early because you will get a chance of extra demons in the battle joining your party when recruiting a demon.

The only early decisions that could screw you over are alignment based, if you are going for the neutral route, it is less direct and reputedly harder to get into than the law and chaos routes; though I did not have too much trouble getting into it. The alignment is locked late in the game but like most of the other games it is based on decisions starting from the beginning. Just think about balancing your alignment if you are going for the neutral route; and through most of the game there is a type of NPC in every bar who will tell you how your alignment is leaning. If you are feeling especially paranoid about it you can always consult a guide

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Which Plasma/whatever weapons you get access to at endgame is dependent on your alignment as well.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Cake Attack posted:

the mp regen ones basically make it so you never run out

I never picked any of those, instead I got Spirit Drain and later Energy Drain on my MC and also never ran out.

I suppose that's a wasted skill slot compared to the apps, but since you can't get passive skills it's not like you're super-limited in that department (I always had one attack of some kind of each element). How much do the apps even restore?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I don't remember exactly what my build was but I did use high luck in order to make Flynn into a smirkmachine/critical monster. It worked out well enough.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Another new European SMTIV player here. Are those weapons unlocked at 100 Str/Dex any good, in comparison to a good old magic spam? I guess what I'm really asking is: is there ever a reason to put points into Str/Dex when I want Flynn to mostly cast?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Aithon posted:

Another new European SMTIV player here. Are those weapons unlocked at 100 Str/Dex any good, in comparison to a good old magic spam? I guess what I'm really asking is: is there ever a reason to put points into Str/Dex when I want Flynn to mostly cast?

not really, no. not as long as you have demons that can pick up the slack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aithon posted:

Either dex or mag for damage. STR is not as good as Dex.

Dex build imo is really good, especially with a lot of luck on the side, but you don't need those weapons either way.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Always build luck, the smirk mechanic means you can smite demons with the power of :smug:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

yeah smirking is broken as hell if you can get it consistently. like life doesn't matter anymore once you murder people with smugness

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

First Impressions- It's a pretty okay start, I am liking the minotaur design and that guy wrecked me so many times before I could proceed.

Then I leveled a little bit more, went through the door and met Medusa, probably silly of me but I didn't prepare for her at all.

I managed to fuse a Raiju a little time before that and everyone died except him. That little lightning beast guy just sat there and blocked every attack she had. I turned on auto attack and watched a movie and he plinked away at her and eventually died, was pretty funny.

It's a very hard game early stages and I hope it continues the trend, I love challenges (though making a pierce and lightning null demon against medusa is pretty much not fair)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Medusa literally cannot do a thing to Raiju and it's literally many peoples' answer to her. :v:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm doing a dex build with hella luck and a little agi because 90% crit rate and 100% accuracy on crit wave owns. Love it when a whole team is smirking. I'm like level 25 what are some good skills I should be having on my guy? I've had critical wave since like floor 2 of Naraku (I'm level 25 now) and I feel like I should be upgrading with other things. None of the other physical skills have come close to crit wave's output, but Needle Shot is doing alright as a gun one. I haven't found any all enemy gun attacks yet. I've got Charge, Needle Shot, Critical Wave, Binding Claw (maybe?) and then a couple of -kaja and -kundas.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could probably have Rapid Needle or Blast Arrow for all target gun skills by now. Myriad Arrows and Stun Needles can hit multiple targets as well. I was a magic character so I dunno what's best for physical skills at that point.

fake edit: look out for Megaton Press as a replacement for Crit Wave.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ooh I can get Blast Arrow and Rapid Needle pretty easily. Megaton Press is a couple of levels away and I think I have a Stun Needler in my party already hell yeah. I heard Stun needles is good with Fundraise to get money?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, if you can manage to stun the enemy and use fundraise, you get the maximum amount of cash from them. It never really gave me much though, so I'm not sure how useful it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Yeah, if you can manage to stun the enemy and use fundraise, you get the maximum amount of cash from them. It never really gave me much though, so I'm not sure how useful it really is.

It's not the maximum, just a guaranteed three. If you're lucky, you can get way more in a row than that with Fundraise on a normal status enemy. I think I've managed something like eight times.