Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Question about spraypaint. I've had a can of Liquitex paint that I use for my Iyanden Eldar that's been sitting in my room for a couple of months - I purchased and used it at some point over the summer, so it's not an old can. I just took it outside to prime some more Eldar and there was almost no reaction when I put the top on and attempted to spray. Nothing came out, and the only noise it made was a very faint whooshing of air when I released my finger from the top. It doesn't look clogged and I fully shook it before spraying, and it's been sitting in my room-temperature room since the last time I used it.

The only unique thing about Liquitex is the button for spraying it isn't attached to the can, it pushes in whenever you use it and you take it out when you're done. However I've used these cans before and never had a problem like this.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dumb question: is there any easy way to fix a portion of a model that's been painted too thick? I hosed up the skin tone areas (torso, arms, face) on my pewter Kjell Bloodbear so badly that every time I look at it a chorus of angry painters in my head shouts "THIN UR PAINTS!!!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Direwolf posted:

Any ideas?

I'm guessing it might be clogged or clotted inside the feeder tube. It's probably too late for this particular can, but you can avoid future jams by inverting the can and spraying until it's clear.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

moths posted:

I'm guessing it might be clogged or clotted inside the feeder tube. It's probably too late for this particular can, but you can avoid future jams by inverting the can and spraying until it's clear.

Ugh, I usually make sure I do that after spraying, I must have forgotten the last time. Might be last chance to spray in quasi warm weather, too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ryoshi posted:

Dumb question: is there any easy way to fix a portion of a model that's been painted too thick? I hosed up the skin tone areas (torso, arms, face) on my pewter Kjell Bloodbear so badly that every time I look at it a chorus of angry painters in my head shouts "THIN UR PAINTS!!!"

No. Either live with it or strip the whole thing and repaint.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Holy loving dogshit those are cool. They're not power squatting, cool poses, holding their weapons well, and have dope weapons. Guy on the far right seems to have a broken wrist but I still like the concept of his pose.

Thanks, gonna have to fix that wrist now :D
Legs are from here: http://evilcraft.eu/shop/
Guns and shoulder pads are from puppetswar.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those Evilcraft bits are awesome, might have to start picking some up for a 30K army or my normal CSM. Why do they sell in batches of 6, though?

Direwolf posted:

Question about spraypaint. I've had a can of Liquitex paint that I use for my Iyanden Eldar that's been sitting in my room for a couple of months - I purchased and used it at some point over the summer, so it's not an old can. I just took it outside to prime some more Eldar and there was almost no reaction when I put the top on and attempted to spray. Nothing came out, and the only noise it made was a very faint whooshing of air when I released my finger from the top. It doesn't look clogged and I fully shook it before spraying, and it's been sitting in my room-temperature room since the last time I used it.

The only unique thing about Liquitex is the button for spraying it isn't attached to the can, it pushes in whenever you use it and you take it out when you're done. However I've used these cans before and never had a problem like this.

Any ideas?

The only think I can think of is to try soaking it in plastic-safe thinner (if that exists for spray paints), because the nozzle may have gotten clogged up. The usual thing suggested to prevent clogging is after you finish using the can, turn it upside down and spray again (so the tube inside the can doesn't have any paint in it and only propellant comes out). When the can sprays clear spray, the nozzle is clear so stop spraying. Maybe because it's Liquitex you can get a replacement nozzle head?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ugh. I'm so bummed about this.

On the one hand I want to just live with it because I've already painted some of the other stuff pretty nicely, I'm probably going to be using it in a game and no matter what it'll look nicer than the prepainted official D&D minis, but on the other hand I do have a few more pewter minis to prime and paint...

As long as I'm here, I know I asked some dumb questions about Bones in the past but I still just can't seem to get the hang of them. You don't really have to prime them, right? But it seems like the paint just does NOT want to stick unless I don't thin it at all, in which case the basecoat gets all gross and it comes through into the details. Any tips from the pros?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ryoshi posted:

But it seems like the paint just does NOT want to stick unless I don't thin it at all, in which case the basecoat gets all gross and it comes through into the details. Any tips from the pros?

Did you wash the minis?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not entirely true. You can go in with a plastic toothpick and veeeeeeery slowly scrape off just the paint you want to get rid of. If you are super duper brave you can seal the model with a good varnish then use saran wrap and blue tape to tape off all the model except the parts you want to strip and then go in with a small hard bristled brush (I use an old mascara brush, but a small wire brush or a very bristly cheap toothbrush would also work I guess) and some very carefully applied acetone, pinesol or brake fluid and start scrubbing (VERY VERY CAREFULLY). A little goes a long way with that stuff. Basically you do that to strip it down and then reapply brush on primer and go from there.

Edit: working in such a small area with not very much liquid (to avoid it somehow bypassing your barrier and hitting the "real" model) you probably want to use Fairy Power Spray. People will tell you that superclean is the best paint stripper and they are loving wrong. FPS contains polyacrylic acid which is pretty much the best thing you can ever use to strip acrylic paint bar none and it works fast and in small amounts.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 31, 2014

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Did you wash the minis?

Yeah, with a soft toothbrush and everything. It's like either I'm using full-bodied paint and it sticks or I water it down even a little bit and the model goes all hydrophobic.

I'm using Vallejo paints, if it matters.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ryoshi posted:

As long as I'm here, I know I asked some dumb questions about Bones in the past but I still just can't seem to get the hang of them. You don't really have to prime them, right? But it seems like the paint just does NOT want to stick unless I don't thin it at all, in which case the basecoat gets all gross and it comes through into the details. Any tips from the pros?

You don't HAVE to prime them, but you can. If you don't, you have to basically basecoat the mini with unthinned paint because Bonesium is very hydrophobic. Stuff will just bead up. It's designed for newbie painters or people with little time to just be able to paint straight out of the bottle and out of the box, so that's considered a feature, not a bug.

You can go ahead and prime them just fine, though, I do for mine. Be aware that some seemingly random brands of aerosol primer react strangely with it and stay tacky literally forever, so either use an airbrush, brush prime, or check the thread on the Reaper board for tried and tested brands of primer.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Best primer for Bones is Army Painter, still takes like two hours to dry but I've never had it gently caress up on me like other types.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anybody have some spare IG trackguards? I need a good number for some heavy duty conversions. These guys right here:

Willing to pay, trade, or give ham jobs.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Best primer for Bones is Army Painter, still takes like two hours to dry but I've never had it gently caress up on me like other types.

I've had good luck with Krylon for years and seems to work fine on Bones.

Rustoleum, on the other hand, has given me no end of troubles regardless of what I spray.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Not entirely true.
No, you're correct - but I assumed he didn't want to go insane doing it. I imagine some perfectionist fine scale military modeler would be willing to go to those lengths, but that seems extreme for a D&D gaming model. Also, I'd be really wary of "spot application" of any stripper - that stuff is going to seep into the crevices of the model no matter how well you think you've masked it off.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Oh my. As was pointed out before, that much removal warrants stripping the entire model. If you really wanted to you could take a razor blade or x-acto knife and scrape all of the skin areas bare, but that is so much effort for very little gain (remember, if you like the other painted parts so much, base coating the skin will likely cause some splatter).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone have any specific suggestions for an alcohol paint setup?

Brushes
Cleaner
etc

Right now I have on order 2 Winsor & Newton Galeria brushes, a one-stroke 1/8" and a one-stroke 1/4", which I bought in those sizes because I'm going to be using the paints on largish models. I read somewhere that alcohol paints are good for synthetic watercolor brushes. Anyone have any suggestions for specific synthetic brushes for alcohol paints that are more in line with miniatures painting? I.E. Round 00, 0, 1, 2?

As far as cleaner I was just going to go to the hardware store and pick up a quart of denatured alcohol.

Any tips regarding cleaning with alcohol paints, other stuff I need for my setup, precautions, tools I should look into, etc?

OH! And what should I be using to clean my airbrush when I shoot alcohol paints through it? Same denatured alcohol?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Alcohol paints have the same problems as acrylics do for this work. Synthetic brushes just aren't going to hold as fine a point as we need, and acrylic and alcohol paints are going to destroy natural hair brushes pretty quickly. Buy what's in your price range and be ready to replace in 3 months to 1 year depending on how much you paint and the quality of the brush.

I just thin with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol, which seems marginally less insane to spray through an airbrush, but holy poo poo wear a good mask.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

Anybody have some spare IG trackguards? I need a good number for some heavy duty conversions. These guys right here:

Willing to pay, trade, or give ham jobs.

Why not just make some press-molds of them? Should be easy enough.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I might end up casting them since I have all the materials, but it's going to be a lot of work :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Styrene? It will be some work, but they're pretty basic shapes. Casting won't be that much work, but it will be time consuming, since I'm sure you need a shitload.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Are they discontinued?

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
Come with me on an adventure where I come to the epiphany that I should have wore a mask when I started airbrushing (Ultramarine Blue phlegm post 7 weeks of acute bronchitis), zenithal highlighting rocks, that hand painted banners aren't as difficult as I first realised, and finish by completing my 2nd Company Command Group leaving just two tac squads and 4 rhinos to go. Huzzah!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's something wrong with your eyes man :lsd:

I really like that bannerman though

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Plastic Scouser posted:

Come with me on an adventure where I come to the epiphany that I should have wore a mask when I started airbrushing (Ultramarine Blue phlegm post 7 weeks of acute bronchitis), zenithal highlighting rocks, that hand painted banners aren't as difficult as I first realised, and finish by completing my 2nd Company Command Group leaving just two tac squads and 4 rhinos to go. Huzzah!

:drat:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dude those are gorgeous.

All of them except the one with the weird face mask thing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

LumberingTroll posted:

Why not just make some press-molds of them? Should be easy enough.

so this isn't :filez: anymore?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So here are the finished Griffin Executioners,

Griffin Thalions,

And Griffin Templars (these being Inquisition Templars),

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Still awesome.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
So what's the best price/quality washes around these days? Les' wash recipe won't work since I'm in Australia and all the materials cost a mint in shipping.

Also, I don't really want to support Citadel.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

So what's the best price/quality washes around these days? Les' wash recipe won't work since I'm in Australia and all the materials cost a mint in shipping.

For my money, Army Painter "inks" are the go-to these days. I don't know if they're similarly hard to get in Australia, or not.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Are they discontinued?
They're still on the IG vehicle accessory sprue, which unfortunately only came in the Basilisk kit last I checked. I think it doesn't come in anything anymore and you have to buy it off GW's site. It's still for sale but it's a direct-only item.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Crossposting my oath. Big puzzle island for autism awareness was a fun little project to work on. Need to touch up the wings and a few minor highlights before I hand it off to it's new owners tomorrow.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Hi nerds.

So I have a Central Pneumatic Oilless Airbrush Compressor from Harbor Freight. My mom got it for me for Christmas. I also have the Central Pneumatic Deluxe Air Brush Kit, but it is not a gravity-fed airbrush, and I've heard that for the very tiny amounts of paint that we're dealing with gravity-fed is the best. While I see no point in getting rid of the air compressor, do you guys recommend going with a different airbrush? Are there any recommendations for one?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that the varnish on one of my models has cracked in the recesses. It's probably worth mentioning that it's the first one I've varnished with a brush, since the weather won't let me use my airbrush. I've used Vallejo's gloss and matt varnish.
So what happened, and how do I fix it? I'll be painting 8 more of the same model for the oath thread and I don't want to deal with it more than I have to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross posting. I think I'm getting a lot better at NMM and what I assume is wet blending, with the Warp Spider exarch blades. I tried something new on the bases too, bubbles of ice forming around them as they teleport in, though I had issues fitting the horrible blobby resin models inside the bases they're meant to fit on, not to mention picking out exactly what detail was what on the left hand side. Desperately need new plastics.

NTRabbit posted:

:supaburn: OATH COMPLETE :supaburn:

Claiming Journal with this one - lots of people joke about the spergs and autists who make mini gaming unbearable at times, which isn't really fair on those who really are Autistic, so I painted my plague guy like the Autism Spectrum Australia logo, will donate when I can. Gun slightly obscures the pain on his body.

Claiming Themed Group

This Goblin is engaging in a favourite Marauder past time, hunting using his Mawbeasts to herd a plague monster into the blades of his stuntbot, and is claiming Strike a pose

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Swags posted:

Hi nerds.

So I have a Central Pneumatic Oilless Airbrush Compressor from Harbor Freight. My mom got it for me for Christmas. I also have the Central Pneumatic Deluxe Air Brush Kit, but it is not a gravity-fed airbrush, and I've heard that for the very tiny amounts of paint that we're dealing with gravity-fed is the best. While I see no point in getting rid of the air compressor, do you guys recommend going with a different airbrush? Are there any recommendations for one?

Cheap but good: Veda 180
Midrange in all aspects: H&S Ultra, Paasche Talon
Good but 100+: Iwata Eclipse, H&S Ultra, Badger Renegade
Real rear end poo poo: H&S Infinity, Richpen

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

If you're trying to import the materials from overseas, it would surely be expensive. There are many local art stores which stock the materials needed to make the washes as per Les' recipes. I picked up mine from the places at the links below, if it's of any assistance. Prices are reasonable and postage is capped at $9.90.

Liquitex Matte Medium and Flow Aid

Daler Rowney FW Artist Inks

15mL dropper bottles (30 pcs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's the goon-go-to micropen for freehand patterns? I've experimented with 0 brushes but I can never get the consistency of the paint right for what I'm doing.

• Locked thread