Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Who would you say is good mid for this? Fizz?riven? Nidalee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
All this Garen talk reminds me of a bronze 5 friend of mine who mains Garen.

'Which skin should I go, guys? Dread Knight or Steel Legion? Wait, never mind, Steel Legion is my jungle skin. :smug:'

He has never won a game as jungle Garen.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Rugged Garen is by far the best Garen skin and the only one I'll ever use once I buy it. It's so disgustingly manly it's hard to look the model straight in the eyes.

Also, I lost a Garen/Darius bot lane with a buddy of mine last night, but I felt like it was all justified when I managed to stall as Garen 3v1 after an unfavorable Baron fight. Doing Handstand pushups, laughing, and running in and out of the jungle not only kept 3 enemies busy for the 30 seconds it took my team to respawn, but a flash or two were wasted out of it as well. Garen is the reason I turned off auto-attack for nearby enemies: Doing handstands in the middle of a wave next to your opponent is way more important.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Lovechop posted:

Correct build is Brutalizer > Hydra > CDR boots > Ghostblade > LW

No excuses. After that get BT or GA or whatever. Don't get crit or attack speed ever and start 10% CDR

I build IE if I get ridiculously fed but I'm an experienced Fiora player so be wary of building something like that.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

itsjustdrew posted:

Brb, learning fiora. How do YOU (as in you personally) Build her?

http://www.probuilds.net/champions/Fiora

If you need to know how to build any champion, type the following into your browser:

http://www.probuilds.net/champions/ThatChampion%27sName

Lovechop posted:

No excuses. After that get BT or GA or whatever. Don't get crit or attack speed ever and start 10% CDR

This is more or less correct.

Her core items (in some order) are a Hydra, a LW, and one of the Brutalizer upgrades, with Defensive or CDR Boots, one big defensive item, and then the game is probably over.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

They updated the Wukong splash art and now it actually looks like Wukong! I'm pretty happy about that. The old-new splash just didn't look like him at all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was fine, he was just getting a lot of sun. Quit being vampires and go outside.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

psymonkey posted:

tl;dr hehe check out my sick blitz trolling :devil:

Interesting that you bring this up, because I've been trying to do what goons have been telling me, which is to play more aggressively instead of being super defensive at all times, and so far it's basically a coin's toss whether it works or not. Sometimes my team is like "They're focusing someone other than me and this guy got their ADC to 10% health! I'm going to press Q for an easy kill! Yay!" and sometimes they're like "Sure I could get easy kills, but I'd rather farm this wave thanks" or "The enemy team has a gold lead and they're sieging our tower, let's just poke them with our abilities rather than making any meaningful engages to turn things around."

Even when I play someone like Warwick, it's completely random if people will focus the ADC/APC/Assassin I ult or if they're going to keep autoattacking Braum through his shield. And it's also really hard to play the "just use everyone as bait and go in late to clean up" strategy when everyone is super scared and avoids engages at all costs.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Invalid Validation posted:

It was fine, he was just getting a lot of sun. Quit being vampires and go outside.

It wasn't sun, it ret-conned his lore to "Wukong was once human but then he tried to cheat at Jumanji."

(I like the new one way better)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don't listen to goons, it has been shown by a lot of people that playing safe is in fact the best thing you can do to win. Farming is almost always the better decision unless you're playing at LCS levels.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

Don't listen to goons, it has been shown by a lot of people that playing safe is in fact the best thing you can do to win. Farming is almost always the better decision unless you're playing at LCS levels.

Not to dismiss your valid logic, but there was a whole argument about whether the person that went 0/0/0 or the person who went 10/10/10 were more valuable for the team, and the consensus was that the latter was more effective because they were participating more and making plays.

That said, farming is typically not an option for me (I mostly play support and I despise farmer junglers), but even when I play other roles I feel it's more important to be there for my team and help however I can rather than selfishly ignore them while I get 5 more CS. I don't like it when people do that to me, so I try not to do it myself. V:shobon:V

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Lovechop posted:

Lately my favorite Fiora gimmick against squishies is building a second brutilizer after upgrading to ghost blade. If they have over 57 armor you gain more armor pen from a last whisper first. Once you have all three, you straight up delete carries from the game.

True damage true stories:
6% Armor pen (Offensive masteries)
35% Armor pen (Last Whisper)
30 Armor Pen (Ghostblade + Brutilizer)
19.2 Armor Pen (Reds & Quints)

Level 16 Lux: 0 armor (:toot:)
+ Armor yellows: 2.7 armor (2.6% damage reduction)
+ Zhonyas: 33.3 armor (25% damage reduction)

Level 16 Zed: 0 armor (:heysexy:)
+ Armor yellows: 3.3 armor (3.2% damage reduction)
+ Ninja tabi: 18.6 armor (15.7% damage reduction, not counting block passive)
+ Chain vest: 43.1 armor (30.1% damage reduction)
+ Complete GA: 49.2 armor (33% damage reduction)

Level 16 Lucian: 0 armor (:gibs:)
+ Armor yellows: 0 armor (:vince:)
+ Chain vest: 21.7 armor (17.8% damage reduction)
+ Complete GA: 27.8 armor (21.8% damage reduction)

Late game you can upgrade to BC for the %shred on tanks, but you're generally going to want a second lifesteal item like Bloodthirster or Bork before that, and the game should frankly be over at that point anyway.

Metagame Scallop posted:

Stop right there, OtherworldlyInvader! You need to run flat AD runes to press the early advantage! :backtowork:

I don't think you're right, Metagame Scallop! A level 2 Fiora against a Level 2 Lux with Armor yellows (29 armor):

+15 AD Runes:
Damage from 2 Q charges: 106
Damage per AA: 83

+19.2 Armor Pen Runes:
Damage from 2 Q charges: 108
Damage per AA: 84

Fiora gets +15 AD at level 1 or 2 from the first point in E, and generally starts longsword, giving her a whopping +25 AD at game start before runes and masteries! Late game, the armor penetration becomes more valuable than AD for bursting down squishy characters.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I think if Taric had just 1 more form of soft or hard CC he'd be in a really good place right now. I desperately wish he had a slow of some sort to help him stick to people after a dazzling stun. I guess you can cover that weakness with frozen fist, but I also really like Frozen Heart.

What's a good rune page for Taric? Right now, considering I can't afford HP runes, I just have a page that is +20 armor, +8 or so mres, and some % move speed quints. I'm incredibly durable in lane, which I love. I would love to compound it further with a doran's shield, but I can never ever justify losing the money on relic shield. I just wanna play more Taric. Taric Taric Taric.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I played Taric the other night for old time's sake and he sucked. The end.

Give him better numbers and do something interesting/skill-shot based with Dazzle has been the solution to his problem for a long time Riot just doesn't feel like doing anything with him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

xeose4 posted:

Not to dismiss your valid logic, but there was a whole argument about whether the person that went 0/0/0 or the person who went 10/10/10 were more valuable for the team, and the consensus was that the latter was more effective because they were participating more and making plays.

That said, farming is typically not an option for me (I mostly play support and I despise farmer junglers), but even when I play other roles I feel it's more important to be there for my team and help however I can rather than selfishly ignore them while I get 5 more CS. I don't like it when people do that to me, so I try not to do it myself. V:shobon:V

That's not a clean comparison. If you go 0/0/0 obviously you have a net kill impact of 0. If you go 10/10/10 you have net kill impact of +10, since on average you not only picked up a kill every time you died, you also got someone else on your team a kill. It's also way too variable- did you need to die for all 20 of those kills, or did you die for no reason getting an assist on a kill that was secure anyway? Did all 10 assists actually mean "someone else got a kill because of you" or were they more like "you did some incidental damage going 1 for 1 and got 3 assists off it"? Did you feed all ten kills to someone who scales way better than you? Did any of your kills give your team an advantage? Did any of your deaths give the enemy one? etc, etc.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Eventually Riot is going to remove every targeted CC in the game and it's going to become a coin flip of "who hit the most situational buttons" and the game will be worse off for it. It also favors mobile characters so much more heavily than immobile characters and so the game would have to have a bunch of champion reworks to design around it.

Targeted CC is good if it isn't as strong as skillshot CC and either has a much reduced range or has a situational trade off (like Morg ult or Karma tether channeling and being broken from moving out of range). Otherwise we need more of it to deal with dodgey assholes like Zed, Yasuo, Yi, Fiora, Gnar, Fizz, etc.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

Otherwise we need more of it to deal with dodgey assholes like Lee loving Sin, Zed, Yasuo, Yi, Fiora, Gnar, Fizz, etc.

(Okay, he might be nerfed for now, but he had his reign, and you know that with Riot's hard-on for baking too much stuff into champion kits, sooner or later a new champ* will take his place as the mobile shithead extraordinaire)

Other than this little omission in your post, i fullt agree with you. And yet, there are still people crying for Riot to remove flash so that anyone without a built-in dash, jump or blink can do jack poo poo while the aforementionned assholes catch them from two screens away or get away over three walls.

*most likely designed by CertainlyT

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 31, 2014

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not a clean comparison. If you go 0/0/0 obviously you have a net kill impact of 0. If you go 10/10/10 you have net kill impact of +10, since on average you not only picked up a kill every time you died, you also got someone else on your team a kill. It's also way too variable- did you need to die for all 20 of those kills, or did you die for no reason getting an assist on a kill that was secure anyway? Did all 10 assists actually mean "someone else got a kill because of you" or were they more like "you did some incidental damage going 1 for 1 and got 3 assists off it"? Did you feed all ten kills to someone who scales way better than you? Did any of your kills give your team an advantage? Did any of your deaths give the enemy one? etc, etc.

It also depends on streaks - did you die after getting 3+ kills each time? Did you die 10 times in a row, thus making only the first three deaths relevant in gold?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Aumanor posted:

(Okay, he might be nerfed for now, but he had his reign, and you know that with Riot's hard-on for baking too much stuff into champion kits, sooner or later a new champ* will take his place as the mobile shithead extraordinaire)

Other than this little omission in your post, i fullt agree with you. And yet, there are still people crying for Riot to remove flash so that anyone without a built-in dash, jump or blink can do jack poo poo while the aforementionned assholes catch them from two screens away or get away over three walls.

*most likely designed by CertainlyT

I don't want them to remove flash because its way too much fun to play Triforce Jarvan and come in like a meteor with Flash-Flag-Drag-Ult from a full screen away. :getin:

Also stop bitching about CertaintyT goddamn. We have had this discussion. He creates great champs with interesting mechanics that then get overloaded with numbers.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 31, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Riposte is W, not E. You are clearly a fake Fiora.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aumanor posted:

...and you know that with Riot's hard-on for baking too much stuff into champion kits...

Before you get too angry at Yasuo again, remember they took all that "extra" stuff in his kit out and he is rocking a 42% win rate.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

inkblot posted:

Before you get too angry at Yasuo again, remember they took all that "extra" stuff in his kit out and he is rocking a 42% win rate.

What? They didn't take any extra stuff out of his kit, they just destroyed his numbers so hard that he's trying to lane against mages as a melee character with the durability of Sona. It's not like when they removed the AS slow from Lee's E, it's like when they nerfed Q damage. Removing utility is different than just hammering numbers until they need to outplay to even break even, and leaving them with tons of tools to outplay with.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
A good Yasuo can still do the Yasuo thing of bringing a fuckton of utility to his team while also wrecking people with heavy damage, however he can't just trounce on his lane from level 1, which is a good thing for a champion with such heavy offensive mid-lategame power.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Monathin posted:

I don't want them to remove flash because its way too much fun to play Triforce Jarvan and come in like a meteor with Flash-Flag-Drag-Ult from a full screen away. :getin:

Also stop bitching about CertaintyT goddamn. We have had this discussion. He creates great champs with interesting mechanics that then get overloaded with numbers.

Stop talking about this guy! Ps I'm right you're wrong everyone agrees with me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Stop talking about this guy! Ps I'm right you're wrong everyone agrees with me.

I would rather read a page full of Headline and itsjustdrew than listen to CertaintyT chat, since it combines all the worst parts of goon armchair game design with the classic bitching about how x y z champion is the most OP.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I'd rather read a page of 2 guys talking about the irc organized game they just played than watch you attempt to head off discussion and declare yourself objectively correct with all the subtlety of a dead rear end dog.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fine, how about this: I'm probably dumb and wrong, but shut the gently caress up about CertaintyT anyway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The only way this game is going to survive being in Dota 2's shadow is more CertainlyT champions. Mark my words.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Monathin posted:

Fine, how about this: I'm probably dumb and wrong, but shut the gently caress up about CertaintyT anyway.

you seem really mad about people being really mad about a video game designer

also every CertainlyT champ released has been a balance nightmare, getting hit with huge nerfs (or nerfs after buffs!?) after their release and plenty of fuckery until they get so nerfed they stop being picked, then getting buffed a few cycles later and everyone picks them again

also describes Kha'zix and Lucian pretty well, they get nerfed hard in one area but then they actually end up buffed from their nerfs since some other aspect of their kit become horribly powerful. it's pretty funny in juxtaposition to champions like Orianna, Renekton, and Caitlyn, etc. who are barely ever touched and only one of those are considered too "weak" in the current meta.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If every champion was a certainlyT champion this game would be great. Same if they stopped systematically killing both targeted CC and CC duration in general.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
"I'm going to play a bot game to practice CS-ing, and I'll ignore kills."

"oops"

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I'd rather read a page of 2 guys talking about the irc organized game they just played than watch you attempt to head off discussion and declare yourself objectively correct with all the subtlety of a dead rear end dog.

Jesus god drat

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

If every champion was a certainlyT champion this game would be great.

CertainlyT champs are the best ones because they're so fun, regardless of whether or not they're op as hell

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Had a reasonably good 60 minute game where I went 19-3 as Draven but still lost. Blitz is an absolute terror at all stages of the game and even half the kills down the enemy team managed to do really well in team fights late game (We had Lee and Riven as 'bruisers' ((both built damage)) and they had Wukong and Irelia. Lee refused to go in and initiate for a full 30 minutes while we sweated it out waiting for the one Blitz loving Hook to land and end the game.

It was one of those games that remind you to end loving early if you have characters like lee and riven on your team because drat. Also Blitz is toxic to this game.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

curiousCat posted:

"I'm going to play a bot game to practice CS-ing, and I'll ignore kills."

"oops"

And you still had the most cs.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

maev posted:

Had a reasonably good 60 minute game where I went 19-3 as Draven but still lost. Blitz is an absolute terror at all stages of the game and even half the kills down the enemy team managed to do really well in team fights late game (We had Lee and Riven as 'bruisers' ((both built damage)) and they had Wukong and Irelia. Lee refused to go in and initiate for a full 30 minutes while we sweated it out waiting for the one Blitz loving Hook to land and end the game.

It was one of those games that remind you to end loving early if you have characters like lee and riven on your team because drat. Also Blitz is toxic to this game.

Blitz has basically one ability, he's nowhere near as bad as he was. For as unbalancable as he is, he's in a decent enough spot. If he lands grabs he's good, if he doesn't he's just dead weight sapping experience from the ADC.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

TheModernAmerican posted:

Blitz has basically one ability, he's nowhere near as bad as he was. For as unbalancable as he is, he's in a decent enough spot. If he lands grabs he's good, if he doesn't he's just dead weight sapping experience from the ADC.

I don't think his lane is the problem, I got fed this game because he hooked me when I had double axes and then I just threw them at Corki for the kill. Late game he zones the entire team mid by just running around, and when creep waves are cleared in less than a second every minute is a nail biting tension session of waiting to see if blitz is about to land a hook and make the fight a 4v5. When its 60+ seconds of respawn time its a hell of a situation. I'm not about to advocate nerfing or removing him but he's certainly a loving headache who swings the direction of the game super hard if one ability lands every 10 seconds.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

maev posted:

I don't think his lane is the problem, I got fed this game because he hooked me when I had double axes and then I just threw them at Corki for the kill. Late game he zones the entire team mid by just running around, and when creep waves are cleared in less than a second every minute is a nail biting tension session of waiting to see if blitz is about to land a hook and make the fight a 4v5. When its 60+ seconds of respawn time its a hell of a situation. I'm not about to advocate nerfing or removing him but he's certainly a loving headache who swings the direction of the game super hard if one ability lands every 10 seconds.

Just engage you butthead.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

TheModernAmerican posted:

Just engage you butthead.

He had a Lee Sin and a Riven, both building glass cannon. Unless his support is tanky, that's not really an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

xeose4 posted:

He had a Lee Sin and a Riven, both building glass cannon. Unless his support is tanky, that's not really an option.

split push? dont just chill as a five man unit in mid waiting to get grabbed

• Locked thread