Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't own a table yet. A lot of them just shuffle through the enthusiast community, someone owns it for a couple years and then sells it to someone else. There are a few tables that I know if I bought I would never want to sell (Simpsons Pinball Party, LOTR, Theatre of Magic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Another Phoenix area pinball update, a new arcade is opening in mesa Saturday? Off as that sounds, I guess it's true.
http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/events/vintage-video-game-arcade-unveiled-in-east-valley/102716/

They'll have a slew of arcade cabinets listed on their facebook and these pinball tables.
Creature from the black lagoon
Elvira Party Monsters
Elvira Scared Stiff
Revenge From mars
Stern Dracula
Gogar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Played a bunch of tables and had a good time. I am really bad at pinball, though. This is gonna take some practice.

Spent most of my time on Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights.

I love Arabian Nights because its the only table I can actually do things on, instead of just flailing about trying to not lose a ball. And the genie, the theme of the different quests you go on, and especially the spinning lamp bumper are all pretty drat cool.

Medieval Madness is really fun too, I really like knocking down the gate and destroying the castle. I lost a lot of balls pretty fast though, any tips for avoiding the drain on that table? Git gud?

Also saw a table called "haunted house" which had not two but three pinball tables combined. There's a lower one with its own paddles which is inverted such that the top is towards you and the drain is away from you, which was pretty fun, and an upper one on the top right part of the table. Two different flipper buttons that controlled a total of four sets of flippers. Wow.

More than a few times I lost a ball nearly instantly, and didn't get a save. I guess some tables just eat quarters?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Collateral Damage posted:

Two other skills that you must know if you want to play a controlled game:

Live catch

Drop catch

Neither of these techniques really work in TPA, however, due to their engine. :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Zaphod42 posted:

Played a bunch of tables and had a good time. I am really bad at pinball, though. This is gonna take some practice.

I love Arabian Nights because its the only table I can actually do things on, instead of just flailing about trying to not lose a ball. And the genie, the theme of the different quests you go on, and especially the spinning lamp bumper are all pretty drat cool.

Medieval Madness is really fun too, I really like knocking down the gate and destroying the castle. I lost a lot of balls pretty fast though, any tips for avoiding the drain on that table? Git gud?

Also saw a table called "haunted house" which had not two but three pinball tables combined. There's a lower one with its own paddles which is inverted such that the top is towards you and the drain is away from you, which was pretty fun, and an upper one on the top right part of the table. Two different flipper buttons that controlled a total of four sets of flippers. Wow.

More than a few times I lost a ball nearly instantly, and didn't get a save. I guess some tables just eat quarters?

All three of these tables are recreated in Pinball Arcade by the way.

Yes, some tables will gobble your balls faster than others. Pin*Bot and Star Trek: The Next Generation have notoriously well-trafficked outlanes.

Play a lot and learn those passing and catching techniques that were just posted in this thread. Practice aiming at particular targets.

One great thing about Pinball Arcade is that an extensive rules breakdown is provided for each table. Learning the goals and progression of a table really adds a lot of enjoyment, and being able to do it without dropping a bunch of extra quarters is even better.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

My understanding is that this is quite intentional. In the case of MM, the big obvious toy is the castle - simultaneously giving noobs something clear and rewarding to shoot for, and pros a tempting death trap to ... handle.

Have heard that there are pros that won't shoot the castle any other way but multiball just to protect themselves from its risky nature.

A lot of "getting good" is just learning what not to shoot for in various situations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
w/r/t backglass gimmicks involving the actual pinball, I've seen an EM machine called Blast Off that basically has a small pachinko machine on the backglass you can activate. But I don't know if it has its own ball or if the playfield ball gets popped up into it somehow.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Apparently someone on the Pinball Arcade forums was updating their downloads on Steam for Mac and these five downloads popped up and failed:

I wonder how they're going to implement that third flipper on Starship Troopers. Regardless, I'm excited that they're getting into Data East and Sega now, with PotO and now ST.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 30, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Nudge. Shots to the castle will come back straight down the middle, and you'll need to get good at saves to last long on MM, at least if you're going for castles.

As for ball save, it's an operator-adjustable feature, and only became really common in the mid-90s. Just another table-specific thing you can't count on.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Apparently someone on the Pinball Arcade forums was updating their downloads on Steam for Mac and these five downloads popped up and failed:

I wonder how they're going to implement that third flipper on Starship Troopers. Regardless, I'm excited that they're getting into Data East and Sega now, with PotO and now ST.

Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that some of these (or at least HS2) had already been seen, and were just test strings? Don't know if this one's different though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Discount Viscount posted:

All three of these tables are recreated in Pinball Arcade by the way.

Yes, some tables will gobble your balls faster than others. Pin*Bot and Star Trek: The Next Generation have notoriously well-trafficked outlanes.

Play a lot and learn those passing and catching techniques that were just posted in this thread. Practice aiming at particular targets.

One great thing about Pinball Arcade is that an extensive rules breakdown is provided for each table. Learning the goals and progression of a table really adds a lot of enjoyment, and being able to do it without dropping a bunch of extra quarters is even better.

Yeah I've got pinball arcade and pinball FX2 installed, I'll play em some more to try to get a feel for the tables. Its not quite the same, but yeah, seems like a good way to warm up on a table without wasting money.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball actually support the multi-state flipper button, or whatever it's called, on platforms with analog buttons. I thought the PS3 version was glitched until I realized the upper flipper wasn't flipping because I wasn't pressing the button hard enough. Guess you're out of luck otherwise, though.
Oh nice I didn't know that, but yes I only have bought tables on iOS so I guess I'll stick to flailing during multiball.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

Nudge. Shots to the castle will come back straight down the middle, and you'll need to get good at saves to last long on MM, at least if you're going for castles.

As for ball save, it's an operator-adjustable feature, and only became really common in the mid-90s. Just another table-specific thing you can't count on.

Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that some of these (or at least HS2) had already been seen, and were just test strings? Don't know if this one's different though.

I posted about seeing Addams Family and HS2 -- at the time, the last three were untitled.

Nurge posted:

Don't quote this on me since I'm not absolutely 100% sure, and I can't find the post right now, but I think the highspeed 2 files have been in there for a long time and when questioned one of the devs said it was some old dev junk that was just used for testing the physics engine or something like that.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
For a while they had Ace High dummy files in there too.

That said, it seems extremely likely that all five of those tables will be in the mix this season (certainly TAF and Party Zone).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Getaway is a non-licensed DMD table, it's gonna be in at some point.

Only possible problem might be "La Grange" as the main table theme.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Alain Post posted:

Gimme "La Grange" as the main table theme OR GIVE ME NOTHING AT ALL.

Actually... GIVE ME YOUR MONEY! HA HA HA!

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Clouseau posted:

For a while they had Ace High dummy files in there too.

That said, it seems extremely likely that all five of those tables will be in the mix this season (certainly TAF and Party Zone).

Actually I may have mixed things up and Aces High is actually what I was thinking of with the dummy files. So yeah my bad on that one.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Is Dracula supposed to be somewhat easy? I think tonight was only the third time I've played it in TPA, and I ended up getting a shitload of extra balls (other that the one given for the replay score) and a score of 640M.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Who dunnit is an awesome table. Really original theme having to interrogate people and guess who the murderer is, and a pretty fun and simple table layout.

Scored 64M on Tales of the Arabian Nights, feeling like much less of a newbie :cheeky: Would have gotten even more but I failed on the very last step of saving the princess.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 31, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zaphod42 posted:

Scored 64M on Tales of the Arabian Nights, feeling like much less of a newbie :cheeky: Would have gotten even more but I failed on the very last step of saving the princess.

You get "unlimited balls" during that last stage. The first time I got there, I thought it meant I could plunge a new ball whenever I ran out. I failed to save the princess. Then I realized that I could actually plunge new balls non-stop during that stage, and the next time I got there, I succeeded. Just fire a new one every two or three seconds, as the plunger gets refilled.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ReverendHammer posted:

Is Dracula supposed to be somewhat easy? I think tonight was only the third time I've played it in TPA, and I ended up getting a shitload of extra balls (other that the one given for the replay score) and a score of 640M.
Yes and no, the rules are simple but the shots are difficult to execute. That's an okay score but a good multi-multi ball game should be well over a billion, especially with a few extra balls. Really it comes down to how consistently you can hit that left ramp, you will be awarded bats bonuses, extra balls and of course castle and coffin locks.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yeah I managed to hit 4 billion on Dracula last night.

Like tonedef said, it's all about stacking the multiballs and getting bats early.
If you get all three multiballs running and light the double jackpot you can potentially be getting single shots scores in the 500 million range.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

tonedef131 posted:

Yes and no, the rules are simple but the shots are difficult to execute. That's an okay score but a good multi-multi ball game should be well over a billion, especially with a few extra balls. Really it comes down to how consistently you can hit that left ramp, you will be awarded bats bonuses, extra balls and of course castle and coffin locks.

Yeah, I ended up stacking two multiballs without even realizing what I was doing. Also got the "hit the moving ball" goal in the easiest way possible (light bounce off of the right side into the BACK of the floating ball).

It was just surprising considering how little time I put into the game so far.

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear
Manged to roll over the score in Creature from the Black Lagoon on TPA today, ended up a little under 17 billion points.

I don't actually know if it's impressive to do or not but it feels good either way. :smug:

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I apparently have a trophy glitch on PS3 TPA that isn't giving me a trophy when I have met the requirements. Would clearing out the game data on my PS3, but keeping the main game installed, reset this?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Northan posted:

Manged to roll over the score in Creature from the Black Lagoon on TPA today, ended up a little under 17 billion points.

I don't actually know if it's impressive to do or not but it feels good either way. :smug:

Well, ~16 bil is good for a top 100 score on the rankings, so yeah, pretty impressive. My best is 7 bil.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Does anyone else's Pinball Arcade show a credit dot after the words "Free Play" for Dracula? A credit dot indicates there's a switch error somewhere, which is odd to see on a digital recreation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

roffels posted:

Does anyone else's Pinball Arcade show a credit dot after the words "Free Play" for Dracula? A credit dot indicates there's a switch error somewhere, which is odd to see on a digital recreation.

Might just be that there's some "issue" brought upon by the way Farsight does things, so that the machine basically works fine, but something gets tripped up anyway. I heard that not setting date and time can cause a dot, so it could be something on that level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It seems like even if you get a bonus play at the end in Pinball Arcade, it doesn't actually let you keep going.

I guess that's not a big deal since you can just replay for free, but is there any way to change that? Just seemed kinda lame they put in the graphics for the bonus ball screen and the calculation, but it still kicks you to the top scores.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems like even if you get a bonus play at the end in Pinball Arcade, it doesn't actually let you keep going.

I guess that's not a big deal since you can just replay for free, but is there any way to change that? Just seemed kinda lame they put in the graphics for the bonus ball screen and the calculation, but it still kicks you to the top scores.

What's the point of going on after getting a replay versus starting again from the menu? Either way, it's not like the score carries over or anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheMcD posted:

What's the point of going on after getting a replay versus starting again from the menu? Either way, it's not like the score carries over or anything.

Yeah I kinda already said that. I was just curious because it felt odd, sheesh.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Since they're emulating the roms the games play the match animation by default. They could conceivably disable them, but I bet they assumed folks would complain that it was missing them.

The Hall of Fame games used those extra credits to unlock games but since that's not needed they're just cute extra animations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Couldn't you look at the test menu for Dracula in pro mode and see what the issue is? :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Did anyone ever give Farsight the memo that they don't need to advertise their Kickstarter every time I want to play the game anymore?

Also, I don't have a credit dot on Dracula, so I can't figure out what the problem is.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Northan posted:

Yeah, 17B is solid. Be careful with the rollover if you ever go to try to beat it. Those super jackpots can get big and there's a glitch that can screw you.

From the TPS forums:
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/1895-CFTBL-Tactics-and-Strategies/page2

TPA GOD Vikingerik posted:

Finally, rollover detection. TPA has some problems detecting rollovers when extremely large jackpots are involved. I had a previous game that I think should have been 57B but TPA only registered 37B. My 80B game all registered correctly which I experimented with manipulating. With TPA's rollover detection, I think you're always safe as long as you're rolling FROM a 9 in the billions digit or TO a 0 in the billions digit. But something like rolling from 8B to 4B by collecting a jackpot worth six billion can go undetected. You can help this work correctly by carefully controlling the jackpot multiplier. If you're at 8B with the jackpot at 1B, push the multiplier only to 2x before collecting it so you get a clean detectable rollover. Don't collect a super at 3x or 4x if it will make a massive leap beyond a rollover mark that TPA may not detect. Or if you're close to a rollover during multiball, shoot Creature letters or Movie Madness until you get it. So I often tried to pass each rollover threshold with a small score or single jackpot, then collect a massive 3x or 4x super while the entire value would count without rolling over.

I fell victim to this and had a 33B game register as 13B. Haven't gone back since.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

reflex posted:

I apparently have a trophy glitch on PS3 TPA that isn't giving me a trophy when I have met the requirements. Would clearing out the game data on my PS3, but keeping the main game installed, reset this?

Which trophy is glitched? Assuming you mean one of the PSN trophies, then yes clearing your saved game data and redoing the requirements will fix it (barring the exact same bug happening again).

If you're talking about a per-table Standard or Wizard Goal then no this won't fix it. There are a LOT of hosed goals where your only choice is to just keep repeating them. Resetting your local save data won't benefit you here.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Alain Post posted:

This license talk reminds me: if they can't secure Christopher Lloyd, do they have to change the Fester toy? It is modeled on his likeness.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Werthog 95 posted:

This license talk reminds me: if they can't secure Christopher Lloyd, do they have to change the Fester toy? It is modeled on his likeness.

I still think that if they can't get Christopher Lloyd, they should change Fester to Jackie Coogan.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Werthog 95 posted:

Isn't the toy an after market add on? Most Addams I see only have an empty chair.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

roffels posted:

Isn't the toy an after market add on? Most Addams I see only have an empty chair.

Oh, poo poo. Yeah. Disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
They do have to screw with the part of the play field right between the flippers though.