Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bonk.

Good card. Thanks for drawing attention to it. I kinda wish that I had watched it more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Yuriy posted:

RIP Miguel Torres

Load him into the surprise sex van and drive it off a cliff

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Yuriy posted:

RIP Miguel Torres

:smith:

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Hey all, Cage Warriors has 2 cards on mmajunkie later today, starting at 2 pm EDT. They should be done by 9 pm EDT, when Invicta starts on Fight Pass. More free MMA is always fun, and Cage Warriors is probably the best Euro promotion.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Yuriy posted:

RIP Miguel Torres

He had a good run. He got to the very top, let up off the gas, had his chin destroyed by Brian Bowles, tried to drastically change his style, and by then the new wave of BWs had evolved past him. He's a really good example of how quickly this sport evolved in about 5 years and having to work extra hard once you get the belt instead of just coasting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

He had a good run. He got to the very top, let up off the gas, had his chin destroyed by Brian Bowles, tried to drastically change his style, and by then the new wave of BWs had evolved past him. He's a really good example of how quickly this sport evolved in about 5 years and having to work extra hard once you get the belt instead of just coasting.

I'd argue that he got his chin destroyed by Bowles because he changed his style. When I first started following him the hype was on his jits, but somewhere around the time he fought Mizugaki he decided that he was actually a striker, and that brawling was cool, and he turned into a smaller, mulletier Chris Leben, without the necessary chin credentials.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

CommonShore posted:

I'd argue that he got his chin destroyed by Bowles because he changed his style. When I first started following him the hype was on his jits, but somewhere around the time he fought Mizugaki he decided that he was actually a striker, and that brawling was cool, and he turned into a smaller, mulletier Chris Leben, without the necessary chin credentials.

You are right that he had a ton of hype about his grappling but he was still striking a lot before Mizu. I'm too lazy to look it up, but his Maeda fight had a lot of striking if I remember correctly. I'd say he was pretty well-rounded before he switched everything after Bowles.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Really Miguel is an example of what your career looks like when you have terrific offense but awful defense in every area. Striking, wrestling, jiujitsu, that's pretty much how it went.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Really Miguel is an example of what your career looks like when you have terrific offense but awful defense in every area. Striking, wrestling, jiujitsu, that's pretty much how it went.

http://gfycat.com/GrimElectricAmericanbulldog

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lewis Monarch. What a name. He better have a good nickname to go with it.

e. if it's not "The Unlimited" or "The Absolute" he's wasted his life.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 1, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'd argue that Miguel was not athletically gifted and got by on being effectively aggressive. Once he ran into people that were athletic and skilled he got steamrolled.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Is Invicta still worth watching tonight now that Dandois and Tiburcio were turned back at the Iowa border

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
do you have literally anything better to do

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
The cards are a lot shallower since UFC took most of their talent, but the last 4-5 matches should be legit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Mizuki Inoue is supposedly really good and going to the UFC any day now.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Invicta cards rule more often than not, so plan accordingly

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

yo this kid on cage warriors looks about 13

http://cagewarriors.mmajunkie.com/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wow that's about the most savage one-shot cut I ever remember seeing

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

the 13 year old kid cut a vagina into his opponent's head and is now dancing in celebration

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Heads up, at 11:30 PM EDT, XFCi, the dronecam Brazilian league will be streaming a Ukraine vs. Brazil card at https://xfcmma.com.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Are there seperate prelims for Invicta somewhere? The countdown on their website ends at 8 ET but the fightpass page says the stream starts at 9. They have three fights between people with between 0 and 2 pro fights, so that seems like what they've shown for free in the past. I can't recall if they just showed everything on fightpass last time.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Wise Learned Man posted:

Are there seperate prelims for Invicta somewhere? The countdown on their website ends at 8 ET but the fightpass page says the stream starts at 9. They have three fights between people with between 0 and 2 pro fights, so that seems like what they've shown for free in the past. I can't recall if they just showed everything on fightpass last time.

I dunno. I can't find a schedule anywhere.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

@InvictaFights · 25m 25 minutes ago
Every fight tonight airs exclusively on @UFCFightPass including prelims. First fight is at 9pm EST. Dont miss any of the action! #InvictaFC9

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
first time properly watching invicta, it's like pfc but with michael schiavello instead of somebody from sherdog and not streamed via isdn

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I figured Invicta deserved a thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678262

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Triticum Guzzler posted:

first time properly watching invicta, it's like pfc but with michael schiavello instead of somebody from sherdog and not streamed via isdn

anything not involving TJ De Santis and his one ill-fitting grey suit is a-okay in my book

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
It looks like I am going to be going to Bellator131 to watch my coach fight (Nam). Any other goons going? Or know where to get good taco's in San Diego?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm going. Food in that part of town sucks so I'm probably hitting up downtown and then taking an Uber to the Sports Arena.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

You're right. It's downright bizarre how his streak of overwhelming victories based on that offense fell off so sharply, but that assessment completely explains it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheRationalRedditor posted:

You're right. It's downright bizarre how his streak of overwhelming victories based on that offense fell off so sharply, but that assessment completely explains it.

It's not that strange once you think about it a bit, really. The time at which he fell off was that same period in which submission defense really started to go up and bring us to this point at which four ufc kimuras in a year seems like a lot of kimuras (for reference, he lost to Bowles the night after UFC 101 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_101, just to give an idea of where we were). He was fighting top-level guys, so he was against the guys who were at the top because they were first starting to show actual defense in their games, generally. This is a sport in which you're either good or you're not.

I wonder if we'll see the same thing happen to Rousey.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.sherdog.com/events/Bellator-131-Tito-vs-Bonnar-40331

You know that TV card isn't bad

Nam Phan, Manhoef, King Mo, Brooks/Chandler and Tito/Bonnar are all things I kind of wanna see

Shame it's going against a UFC card and a WSOF card

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

CommonShore posted:

He was fighting top-level guys, so he was against the guys who were at the top because they were first starting to show actual defense in their games, generally. This is a sport in which you're either good or you're not.

If it were always that utterly simplistic then MMath would actually mean something

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Miguel said himself he fell off because on his way up he was a goon (zero friends, never smoked or drank, no girlfriends ever). He claims he did absolutely nothing but train. Then when he became champ he suddenly had friends, VIP tables at clubs, and women. He also quit training in order to enjoy those things. Now he is old and scrawny and not athletic enough to compete.

The Mizugaki fight was a wake up call for his fans, seeing him eeek out a decision against a last minute replacement from another org, albeit a top fighter. It's crazy to think Torres actually had a really close fight against Mighty Mouse in the UFC. I remember him sweeping MM a lot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well I'm pretty sure Mighty Mouse was still working full time in a warehouse at that point in his career.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

tesilential posted:

It's crazy to think Torres actually had a really close fight against Mighty Mouse in the UFC. I remember him sweeping MM a lot.

I kinda thought that Torres could have gotten the nod in that one because my impression at the time was that he was more active from his back than MM was on top.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

It's not that strange once you think about it a bit, really. The time at which he fell off was that same period in which submission defense really started to go up and bring us to this point at which four ufc kimuras in a year seems like a lot of kimuras (for reference, he lost to Bowles the night after UFC 101 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_101, just to give an idea of where we were). He was fighting top-level guys, so he was against the guys who were at the top because they were first starting to show actual defense in their games, generally. This is a sport in which you're either good or you're not.

Yeah, imagine what would happen if Rousey were to wind up in the clinch with an Olympic wrestling medalist.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The only way that Rousey is gonna lose is if a WMMA Frankie Edgar shows up. Being inside clinch range with Ronda is a sure fire prediction of loss at this point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Yeah, imagine what would happen if Rousey were to wind up in the clinch with an Olympic wrestling medalist.

1st AD posted:

The only way that Rousey is gonna lose is if a WMMA Frankie Edgar shows up. Being inside clinch range with Ronda is a sure fire prediction of loss at this point.

The women who she has been fighting have mostly lovely defense, so her amazing offense carries her through. WMMA Machida would also give her a ton of trouble.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Now that Invicta is starting to run cards regularly, I hope they can get together a stable of recognizable fighters. Watching Barb and Karate Hottie hospitalize japanese cans, while funny, doesn't pay the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Barb Honchak has boring fights sometimes, Waterson never does.

Edit: gently caress me Bellator is on the same night Mark Hunt becomes a world champion :smith:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 3, 2014