Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So apparently Nimble Quest is on sale for 50 cents but there's no discount in the Canadian store whatsoever. :gaben:

Also, here's a free key for Home because I hate everyone and want you to suffer what I did: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=B38hNuKth4UEZ8ue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So apparently Nimble Quest is on sale for 50 cents but there's no discount in the Canadian store whatsoever. :gaben:

Not on sale for me in USA, which is a shame, because the game looks like it could easily be 50c of fun.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Installed and played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter a few days ago. Haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm...not quite impressed. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and detailed, the investigation segments are fun, and there have been some pretty mind-blowing WTF moments so far...but it almost feels like there could, or maybe there should, have been more to the gameplay and the story.

Gameplay-wise, there's a lot of room for me to explore but theres also a lot of nothing as a result of it. Only a few times did I find a "reward" of sorts, while the rest of the time I am wandering in an empty scenery until I hit an invisible wall.

Story wise, its kind of meh so far. I just reached the mines and I am not particularly attached to any of the characters I'm learning about. The mystery is pretty compelling, but anyone familiar with Lovecraft can pretty much figure out whats going on. In fact, I think they pretty much spoil what's going on in the first murder scene.

I'll still play through it to the end, and I'm hoping the game turns around at some point. I think part of my problem is that I went into it expecting a full-blown noir/detective game with some supernatural elements and I got something that...kinda feels like a demo of sorts for a larger game. I'm fresh off of beating Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments so I think I'm kinda spoiled in expectations of detective and/or investigative adventure games now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It WAS on sale for Canadians too a week or two ago since I bought it for 54 cents canadian

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Anyone ever get into a funk where you have a bunch of stuff that you could play, but just don't really feel like it, can't decide on anything, or ADHD it back to the shelf after 10 minutes? Last game I actually sat down and played for awhile was Shadow of Mordor. Maybe I just don't have the patience for a game that doesn't absolutely captivate me right off the bat or maybe it's just the weather :shrug:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Anyone ever get into a funk where you have a bunch of stuff that you could play, but just don't really feel like it, can't decide on anything, or ADHD it back to the shelf after 10 minutes? Last game I actually sat down and played for awhile was Shadow of Mordor. Maybe I just don't have the patience for a game that doesn't absolutely captivate me right off the bat or maybe it's just the weather :shrug:

This is me everyday. First world problems.
My secret is to just pick something, and start playing it. If it doesn't stick, I try another. Usually the first or second ends up being fun, and I forget that feeling you had before.
If that doesn't work, streaming it and letting goons/friends know so that can watch can be fun too. It's different playing a game when others are watching.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

Absolutely. It helps to narrow down by genre usually. I usually waffle between 'indie', 'shoot things', 'stab things', or 'time to get lost in an RPG'.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Palpek posted:

I finished Alien: Isolation. Steam shows it took me about 15 hours. I didn't do much of backtracking though as the Nostromo messages that you find doing this weren't too interesting so I decided it's not worth the effort. I played offensive stealth which means I only hid from imminent danger but otherwise didn't hide long behind cover/in lockers etc. which may explain why some people claim it took them 20 hours + to finish the title.

I was wondering: What happens if/when the Alien finds you? Is it pretty much a game over or can you run away? I am assuming that you won't always have access to a flame thrower and even that loses its edge at some point.

Can you kill the Alien?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

saucerman posted:

I was wondering: What happens if/when the Alien finds you? Is it pretty much a game over or can you run away? I am assuming that you won't always have access to a flame thrower and even that loses its edge at some point.

Can you kill the Alien?

You die / you probably die / no.

Colonial Marines it ain't.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If the alien catches you it's bye-bye. No real way to fight back other that a weapon you get around the half-way mark.

It's a fun and atmospheric game but the human AI is almost literally brain-dead and the alien AI is neat but very easily manipulated and can go into these weird random patterns where it either hones in on your location or starts running around everywhere.

I'd say wait for a sale at around the $20 mark. There's little to no replay value either but that's pretty much standard for these games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kragger99 posted:

This is me everyday. First world problems.
My secret is to just pick something, and start playing it. If it doesn't stick, I try another. Usually the first or second ends up being fun, and I forget that feeling you had before.
If that doesn't work, streaming it and letting goons/friends know so that can watch can be fun too. It's different playing a game when others are watching.

I don't think I'd make a good streamer (too many distractions/breaks) but yeah I guess that's what I need to do--just keep starting things.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As a word of warning don't buy Resident Evil Revelations. The vast majority of the game is quite solid but the final boss is utter and complete bullshit that just ruins the game. Capcom can never get things right anymore and it sucks because they were so close with this one.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

As a word of warning don't buy Resident Evil Revelations. The vast majority of the game is quite solid but the final boss is utter and complete bullshit that just ruins the game. Capcom can never get things right anymore and it sucks because they were so close with this one.

Also revelations is kind of short and I found the whole cruise liner setting was criminally underused. I didn't have the same issues you had with the final boss but found the game to be kind of bland overall.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

saucerman posted:

Can you kill the Alien?
When the Alien finds you it kills you and it's game over. You reload to the last checkpoint/save point. If it spots you from far away and you still have time to turn 2 corners or hide in a locker it didn't see then you can still hide, this is very rare however. If you run it will hear that and just get you immediately. If it directly sees you enter a hiding spot it will just run over to you and rip you out of it. This includes it crowling into a vent it saw you enter.

You can't kill the Alien. You can only temporarilly scare it away. There are numerous vents in the ceiling on every level that are the Alien's enter/exit points so if you attack it with flames it will run to the nearest one but it WILL come back after not too long from a different vent.

Things that will scare the Alien into a vent: a direct attack with flamethrower, molotov, pipebomb. It's not even fazed or slowed down by regular guns, they only give away your position. Things you can use to lure the Alien to certain places or to hide yourself from it: noisemaker, flare, banging your wrench on walls, smoke bomb to sneak close to it.

Also it's cool to observe what the Alien is doing to other humans, it's all so well animated:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 2, 2014

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Palpek posted:

Also it's cool to observe what the Alien is doing to other humans, it's all so well animated:

Man, that game looks so good. I would probably poo poo my pants playing it, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FadedReality posted:

I can't even tell if Palpek's gushing is ironic or if he really truly enjoyed the game that much. It's too positive and you people have made me a cynical, bitterbetter person
I went into the game being very sceptical but this title just defended itself with its own merits. I did have a couple of problems with it like the mentioned qtes, minigames, filler emails and sequences that I kept dying at with saving points way too far apart but it's just the usual video game problems that didn't really sour me on the title.

I ended up thinking something that I really rarely feel in gaming anymore: "oh man, I can't wait to have another session with this game today". Even when I had enough of it the previous night at a particularly tense/difficult section that I was dying over and over at. Shooting dudes in the face with a shotgun/bolt gun/revolver is amazing in this game, I could really see some sort of horde mode working nicely in this title.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:spooky: Just a reminder, since it's gotten a little slow, we have a Gift Train running over in PGS! Come hop aboard!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

I went into the game being very sceptical but this title just defended itself with its own merits. I did have a couple of problems with it like the mentioned qtes, minigames, filler emails and sequences that I kept dying at with saving points way too far apart but it's just the usual video game problems that didn't really sour me on the title.

I ended up thinking something that I really rarely feel in gaming anymore: "oh man, I can't wait to have another session with this game today". Even when I had enough of it the previous night at a particularly tense/difficult section that I was dying over and over at. Shooting dudes in the face with a shotgun/bolt gun/revolver is amazing in this game, I could really see some sort of horde mode working nicely in this title.

If you whisper "medical" to someone who has played Isolation they get this real nervous look in their eyes

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Grapplejack posted:

If you whisper "medical" to someone who has played Isolation they get this real nervous look in their eyes
The section that freaked me out the most was a later one where you have to navigate between 4 small rooms fullfilling objectives, finding a passcode to a door to turn on a generator to get a lever working in the previous room to get a door working in another room etc. while the Alien walks around the place and in the middle of those tasks my flamethrower fuel ran out. Yikes.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Anyone tried Majestic Nights? Paranormal/cospiration/aliens activities all while trekking '80s dancing floors.
Sounds intriguin'! :agesilaus:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

Yes, don't buy a 10 hour game, with a bunch of solid co-op content on the side, because the last 5 minutes are bad.

Other games you shouldn't buy

Hitman 2
Devil May Cry 4
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
XCOM
Arkham Asylum
Dead Space 2

Pomp fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Playing Deadly Premonition and it went okay so far, until now. I've arrived back at the reception after being down at the morgue. I shoot 3 or 4 enemies there, the game load screen appears and the next scene fades halfway in and the screen freezes.

Should I set the compatibility on the exe with XP or something else?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Downs Duck posted:

something else?

Uninstall it and watch an LP instead.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Kin posted:

Uninstall it and watch an LP instead.

But, but... I want to play it.

Alright, just set the comp to some different states and run as administrator and now I get a message about it not starting in full-screen or some such. Might be doing that LP if no one has a solution.

EDIT: Okay, it doesn't want to play anymore, keeps freezing at that hospital scene. I'm guessing the one LP by supergreatfriend is okay? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I guess Frozen Synapse, 2011s best TBS, is getting a definitive edition, which... completely fucks the graphics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FC3BZwG1s

Arena seems cool, but what on earth.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xaris posted:

Jesus christ, just go outside or something

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A few more Alien: Isolation screenshots as people seem to enjoy them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I can't believe you're still going on about this game. Not that I don't like the posts and pictures (because I do), it just surprised me.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I hope Transistor hits the Apple App store soon. The Steam deal is nice, but I want to play it on the iPad.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xaris posted:

Happens all the time.

The best way of fixing it I've found is to go back to the oldies. Pick a classic I know I loved and replay it. Deus Ex, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, etc. I spend enough time going "OH MAN THIS IS STILL SO GOOD" that it gets me past that initial hurdle, and then once I'm in game I usually stick there until the end. And by the end of it I usually have a few new candidates to play that I really want to check out. Works out well.

If that fails me I'll go out for a jog or something to clear my head, come back and just casually think to myself what I want to play. Then I go grab the 1-5 games I want to play the most and put them in their own category, and collapse the other ones. As soon as I get home from work/wake up the next day I totally forget about all the games that aren't in that category, so it makes it pretty easy to start checking things off.

Eruonen posted:

I can't believe you're still going on about this game. Not that I don't like the posts and pictures (because I do), it just surprised me.

It's drat good. I hosed around with the Oculus build a bit back when it came out, and it actually made me physically ill. Not due to motion sickness or anything, but due to the sheer pressure I felt doing ANYTHING. I got super stressed out and couldn't sleep for a few days, so I had to put it down. I'm actually just now going back to it, and I'm super excited, because I loved the actual gameplay mechanics when I played it last.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Downs Duck posted:

I'm guessing the one LP by supergreatfriend is okay? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

No, it's not okay. It's the loving best.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Isolation would appeal more to me if I hadn't seen far too much Giger art. As it is, I can't look at an Aliens alien without thinking of dickbutt, which kind of kills the tension. Shame, too, it looks pretty good and I like the concept. Full price for 10 hours of playtime or less is also kinda too pricey for me.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I've played and enjoy Tower of Guns.

How does Ziggurat compare to it in gameplay and replayability? Worth the asking price?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Orv posted:

So I guess Frozen Synapse, 2011s best TBS, is getting a definitive edition, which... completely fucks the graphics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FC3BZwG1s

Arena seems cool, but what on earth.

It's a port of the PSVita remake. I guess that's how they're solving the multiplayer population problem. Incidentally, they're also doing a PS3 version for some reason.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

mr. nobody posted:

How does Ziggurat compare to it in gameplay and replayability? Worth the asking price?
Replayability is reputedly low. The game itself it pretty short and there are only so many setpieces to assemble the dungeon from. I'd buy it on sale, but not otherwise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mutation posted:

Okay, so I played Eidolon for four hours and I guess I could talk about it.

:words:

It sure can be pretty though:

Thanks for the rightup. This was a goon made game too wasn't it?

Also reminder that Crimsonland is under six bucks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cardiovorax posted:

Isolation would appeal more to me if I hadn't seen far too much Giger art. As it is, I can't look at an Aliens alien without thinking of dickbutt, which kind of kills the tension. Shame, too, it looks pretty good and I like the concept. Full price for 10 hours of playtime or less is also kinda too pricey for me.
It's 20 hours for most people. I finished it in 15 because I didn't do much of metroidvania backtracking where you can go back to previous levels and open closed doors with new toys. Also as far as Giger art goes there's just the Alien and one particular environment well known from the movie, 95% of the game are those sci-fi environments which were more Moebius and Chris Foss.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

No, it's not okay. It's the loving best.

Thanks. I actually managed to fix the freeze screen just by restarting my computer, so I'm continuing my playthrough, but if the LP is that excellent I might do both.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sounds like a lot of people picked up Risk of Rain. If you want to do some co op, hit me up http://steamcommunity.com/id/A_Proper_Uppercut I played it a bit back when it first came out, wouldn't mind checking it out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I see the DMC franchise is on sale. Having never played one before, which one would be the "best" to jump into?

• Locked thread