Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I just started Scrubs for the first time. :ohdear: I shouldn't watch the final season? Why not?

Also finishing off a rewatch of Burn Notice and am on the final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Thank you Drifter, klaphark and Mister Kingdom!

I’ve seen most of the shows recommend (Modern Family, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Veep, Cheers, Night Court, good life, scrubs, young ones, yes prime minister, red dwarf) and I don’t really go in for cartoons (which is my own fault), but I’ll pick up one of the 70’s/80’s British comedies and see if I can’t get into that.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

I just started Scrubs for the first time. :ohdear: I shouldn't watch the final season? Why not?

I believe he means the official 9th season. It was meant as a spinoff after the show was supposed to end, and because of executive meddling, barely any of the original cast returned after the 8th season finale, which is one of the best episodes of the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prinneh posted:

I’ve seen most of the shows recommend (Modern Family, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Veep, Cheers, Night Court, good life, scrubs, young ones, yes prime minister, red dwarf) and I don’t really go in for cartoons (which is my own fault), but I’ll pick up one of the 70’s/80’s British comedies and see if I can’t get into that.

Are you familiar with Blackadder? You might enjoy that; it shared a writer with The Young Ones and Rik Mayall had a guest appearance in all four seasons.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the final season is that weird spinoff attempt that had the original cast for a few episodes in the beginning. Absolutely terrible. The actual series finale before that final season was fantastic. Great show.

prinneh posted:

You're The Worst is really good, in my opinion. I've seen 5 episodes so far and had a blast. It's black humor and seems like it toes the line between British and American humor.

Just TRY Archer. Give it an episode, and if you laugh a couple times give it one more episode. After that, do as thou whilst.

I had rewatched Seinfeld about a year ago and was really amazed at how funny the show remained. Those were soem fantastic characters that really withstood the test of time and topical comedy. The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince (FP, to a lesser extent) are also great like that. Cosby remains one of my favorites of all time.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Metal Loaf posted:

Are you familiar with Blackadder? You might enjoy that; it shared a writer with The Young Ones and Rik Mayall had a guest appearance in all four seasons.
Saw it years ago, if you liked that and maybe QI you'd enjoy Jeeves and Wooster I suppose, it's an old show with stephen fry and hugh laurie (their sketch comedy is alright too I guess, but I recommend the first two or three seasons of jeeves and wooster more) and all the episodes are actually on youtube. I used to own the dvd set, but it got passed around my circle of friends and now it's incomplete and scratched :(

Drifter posted:

You're The Worst is really good, in my opinion. I've seen 5 episodes so far and had a blast. It's black humor and seems like it toes the line between British and American humor.

Just TRY Archer. Give it an episode, and if you laugh a couple times give it one more episode. After that, do as thou whilst.

I had rewatched Seinfeld about a year ago and was really amazed at how funny the show remained. Those were soem fantastic characters that really withstood the test of time and topical comedy. The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince (FP, to a lesser extent) are also great like that. Cosby remains one of my favorites of all time.

Seen Seinfield, it's a must! Cosby was not my cup of tea, tho I watched fresh prince a lot when I was younger. I tried Archer, gave it two episodes, but no laughs, sorry. I did just now give rick and morty a go and that was alright after about half a bottle of wine :) I'll look up you're the worst tomorrow, black humour is the best! A show for you that skirts the same US UK line with black humour (or: gallows humour really) is A Young Doctors Notebook. It stars Don Draper and Harry Potter, but don't let that put you off. It takes place in the country, during the first revolution in Russia and it's great and very short. It's on netflix in Europe.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Went back quite a ways in this thread and didn't see it mentioned so thought I would. Lie To Me is a pretty great show. Tim Roth is really great in it. Worth a binge watch if you're searching for a drama with a bit of comedy mixed in. I'd liken it to House.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

prinneh posted:

If you're into something different- give Nathan For You a shot. 2 Seasons - 16 episodes total. Think of a business makeover show, except the host (intentionally) gets the owners to do very unorthodox methods of improving their businesses. And yes, after you've seen a few episodes- just remember- it's real.

It's similar to Ali G/Borat/Bruno except the joke is on the host and not everyone around him.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm not an angsty teenager but I've really gotten into Skins (UK). I started it when I was drunk thinking it would be American Pie: Bristol, and I was really surprised by the occasional depth and how weirdly abstract it can be when it's not being campy and dumb (which it is, a lot). I just finished the first episode of the third series, which starts over with the "second generation" cast, and I'm not sure what I think of that yet. The first generation seemed to have much more depth, but that's probably because I just got through two seasons of character development with them.

I think one of my favorite things about the show is that so many things happen entirely inside someone's head but absolutely no attempt is made to distinguish subjective experience from external reality, leaving a lot open to interpretation. Even the campy face-palm stuff like the entire cast breaking into a cover of "Wild World" after a tragic accident is endearing in a way.

I'm not sure yet if I'm considering this a guilty pleasure or something more. I guess I'll see how this new cast goes. I'm probably way too old to enjoy this as much as I have been.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

prinneh posted:

Some other US suggestions if you haven't seen them, Curb Your Enthusiasm and The League.

On the UK side, if you liked The Young Ones check out Bottom.

[Edit] Let's toss in a recommendation for Garth Marenghi's Darkplace as well. Also, does Father Ted, etc include The IT Crowd?

Dave Angel fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 31, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I somehow forgot Andy Richter Controls the Universe. It's the spiritual ancestor of Better Off Ted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a new British show called Scrotal Recall. It's about a guy that finds out he has some STD and he has to go back and find his former sex partners to tell them. I haven't seen it yet but based just on the name it's probably good.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just starting La Femme Nikita, Peta Wilson. 1997 or something.
The acting is so bad, and yet again Micheal is a tool, but a French Canadian tool. Seymour Birkoff is great, with his next gen dialup ShadowNet

There's 5 seasons. I'm committed to this.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Dave Angel posted:

Some other US suggestions if you haven't seen them, Curb Your Enthusiasm and The League.

On the UK side, if you liked The Young Ones check out Bottom.

[Edit] Let's toss in a recommendation for Garth Marenghi's Darkplace as well. Also, does Father Ted, etc include The IT Crowd?

Thank you, seen all those, but didn't care for either The League or Bottom, whereas the other two are definitely classics in my opinion. It includes all Linehams shows :) If you liked Garth Marenghi, you should check out Snuff Box and/or Toast of London. Both are Matt Berry heavy, but surreal and very watchable.

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a new British show called Scrotal Recall. It's about a guy that finds out he has some STD and he has to go back and find his former sex partners to tell them. I haven't seen it yet but based just on the name it's probably good.

Scrotal Recall has gotten both good and a little bad press in the uk, I haven't seen it yet and am interested to know what you think of it after you've binged it :)

Mister Kingdom posted:

I somehow forgot Andy Richter Controls the Universe. It's the spiritual ancestor of Better Off Ted.

Any spiritual ancestor of Better Off Ted sounds like a great binge, I'll pick this up when I've got the money.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rocksicles posted:

I'm just starting La Femme Nikita, Peta Wilson. 1997 or something.
The acting is so bad, and yet again Micheal is a tool, but a French Canadian tool. Seymour Birkoff is great, with his next gen dialup ShadowNet

There's 5 seasons. I'm committed to this.

I would recommend the modern version, with Maggie Q. It's much more fun. The second season is downright fantastic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've seen them all twice. Movies too. Never got a chance to catch much of the original series, until i caught some around the same time Dark Angel aired. The tech is just laughable now.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
HERCULES POSSESSED A STRENGTH THE WORLD HAD NEVER SEEN - A STRENGTH SURPASSED ONLY BY THE POWER OF HIS HEART

soooo frickin good get on it people

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo... i hope you are going full sperg and watching Hercules and Xena in the right order :spergin:

http://whooshorg.proboards.com/thread/4646

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Goddammit, honestly those show were fun as gently caress. Now Kevin Sorbo's doing anti-science christian movies or something. How the mighty have fallen.

At least the love of my life Lucy Lawless is still somewhat successful, professionally.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Rocksicles posted:

Yo... i hope you are going full sperg and watching Hercules and Xena in the right order :spergin:

oh it's full :spergin: alright

Drifter posted:

Goddammit, honestly those show were fun as gently caress. Now Kevin Sorbo's doing anti-science christian movies or something. How the mighty have fallen.

At least the love of my life Lucy Lawless is still somewhat successful, professionally.

if we're defining success strictly by $$ then Kevin Sorbo makes a pretty penny outta those terrible Jesus movies, just fyi

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I had no idea that Kevin Sorbo was making terrible Jesus movies these days.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 2, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lycus posted:

Yep he is pretty terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ8vn45Cds

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Funny how I don't remember that coming to a theatre near me in 2013!

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Lycus posted:

it is literally all he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazing, i love a good Jesus is my homeboy movie

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Whoa, it's Dean Cain. Does he do a lot of terrible Jesus movies too?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

All I can hear when that protagonist introduces himself is "Joss Whedon"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hercules, Superman and Jesus in the same movie? Awesome.

e: I mean Jesus is awesome, not so much Herc and Supes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Homestar Runner posted:

oh it's full :spergin: alright

if we're defining success strictly by $$ then Kevin Sorbo makes a pretty penny outta those terrible Jesus movies, just fyi

I guess he's more successful in that Christianity, like Crossfit and veganism, exists to be talked about by its practitioners.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Rocksicles posted:

I tried to do this and got as far as the middles of season 4 of Hercules and season 3 of Xena. Hercules stayed pretty light and fun and silly, but Xena got way too slow and boring and serialized for my tastes. I'm still planning on finishing if all off one day, but it probably won't be until I've scraped the bottom of the tv barrel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell me more about your commitment issues :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What the hell. According to the video game Left Behind the college professors are bad guys allied with Satan. In this movie the villain is also a professor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anti-intellectualism goes hand in hand with fundamentalist religion, because education is a threat to unquestioning belief (and therefore obedience). Hence professors are evil, because they tempt the young away from the faith with the fruit of knowledge.

The people who make, and watch, those films are scary.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I couldn't help but laugh at how both of the Kevin Sorbo trailers feature their own terrible songs with the movies' titles in the chorus.

Is that how all trailers for terrible Jesus movies are?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 3, 2014

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

prinneh posted:

Two guys and a girl (and a pizza place). But takes about 20 eps to find itself.
The Drew carey show
Just shoot me
I remember liking Ned and Stacey, that's a forgotten show if there ever was one. First season is on dvd for $5:

http://www.amazon.com/Ned-Stacey-Complete-First-Season/dp/B000A7Q1YC

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2014

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Joe schmo show is pretty great too, both seasons:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001XAODO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I only caught season 2, but man, was it fantastic.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just binged through Continuum. Is it officially cancelled? Just put on episode 1 of the Netflix series The 100 and the actor who plays Julian is in it.

Edit: And the badass Asian dude.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Going through Rick and Morty based on so many recommendations here and elsewhere. Was really reluctant because I thought it was just typical Adult Swim 'random craziness', but there's been some real funny moments.

Calling it to be the next Family Guy, that'll get very overplayed in a few years.