Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Teamed up with my jam buddy for a 48-hour just-for-fun thing this weekend. The idea we had was a game where you are a monster living the the attic of a family home, and you have to complete tasks (such as eating food, watching tv etc.) while avoiding and/or scaring away the family members.

We didn't get to the point where there's an actual game, but I'm pretty happy with the engine and the look of the game. It was the first time I'd used Unity in a jam situation, so it was mostly practice for December's LD.

Play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bert of the Forest posted:

Love the multicolored limbs you do for test characters. Seems like a smart way to make an initial sprite sheet since the colored limbs make it easier to differentiate them from one another while animating. Funnily enough though, it sure is a fun looking style, and very charming as well despite it's (assumed on my part) purpose. In other words, awesome stuff man, keep doing it. Great sense of style.

Yeah! I was getting really confused while animating a few months ago. I kept losing track of what was where with one skin tone, especially if I was coming back to something even an hour or two later. They end up looking like Metamorpho or Element Girl but it helps my scatter brain.

Babby Sathanas posted:

I'd be happy if this thread turned into nothing but The .gif Adventures Of Multicolour Skeleton Head Dude.

:3:

I made dust trails!

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Recorded 5 mins of gameplay showing off the latest build. Including this in my IGF submission:

Legendary
Mar 9, 2010
I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone here, but I've recently finished the first "official" release of a project I've been working on for the better part of the last year, and it's related to game development, so what the hell?

Ultraviolet (GitHub, documentation) is my attempt at building a .NET game development framework roughly analogous to XNA/MonoGame. It's built on OpenGL via SDL2, and so far I've got it running on Linux and Windows, with plans for Android support in the near future. Right now I'm focusing mainly on 2D rendering, but I plan to get around to better support for 3D stuff eventually... it's also obviously got subsystems for things like loading content, playing music/sfx, reading input, etc.

It's still in its very early stages, but with v1.0 I think it's close enough to being "functionally complete" that I figured it wouldn't hurt to put it out in the open. If you're a game dev with an interest in .NET, I'd love to hear any feedback you might have. :)

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Shoehead posted:

I made dust trails!

Looks great!

My main issue is I'm making a similar style game(top down Zelda like) and progressing much slower than you. So uh stop making me feel like a slacker please. Thanks! :)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Playable demo Monday!

I've been working on a flight sim for about the last year and a half as kinda a hobby while in school. It's not perfectly accurate, but it's the same methods that X-plane uses. Wrestling with Unity has been a bitch and a half, but I don't think there's much else out there that I could do this with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183567083/Planes%20Test/Planes%20Test.html

Controls:

Shift/Control: Throttle Up/Down
WASD: Ailerons/Elevator
Q/E: Rudder
F/V: Retract/Extend flaps
Mouse moves a virtual joystick
Hold right mouse to turn view with mouse
Double click right mouse to recenter view
Mousewheel to zoom
L: Locks/Unlocks cursor to screen, may have to click the game window first
B: Airbrake and brakes
Left mouse fires, only a couple boxes near the runway intersections to knock around

The HUD needs work, right now zooming or turning your head changes where the camera's focus is, making the elements disappear.

The pitch bars are also basically useless right now, but they are there.

The plane is an F-5 Freedom Fighter.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Looks great!

My main issue is I'm making a similar style game(top down Zelda like) and progressing much slower than you. So uh stop making me feel like a slacker please. Thanks! :)

Oh no!

MORE STUFF!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Your reaction sprite could pop a little more. It looks a little too close to the walking animation.

(Can't wait to see more!)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Your reaction sprite could pop a little more. It looks a little too close to the walking animation.

Yeah, I'd reference Final Fantasy 4-6 for emotes. Whoever did the sprite work for those games was a master.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
This thread makes me feel bad that pretty much every week I try to fire up Unity and do something but after 10 minutes I just go back to writing non-game stuff.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I started improving the interface for outfitting ships in my game this week. Still quite a bit to do, such as filling in that big space on the right with equipment options.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

retro sexual posted:

Recorded 5 mins of gameplay showing off the latest build. Including this in my IGF submission:

Watched the video, went to the website, played the demo. Lots of fun. Look forward to seeing the guild management stuff, should be a blast.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bondematt posted:

Playable demo Monday!

I've been working on a flight sim for about the last year and a half as kinda a hobby while in school. It's not perfectly accurate, but it's the same methods that X-plane uses. Wrestling with Unity has been a bitch and a half, but I don't think there's much else out there that I could do this with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183567083/Planes%20Test/Planes%20Test.html

Controls:

Shift/Control: Throttle Up/Down
WASD: Ailerons/Elevator
Q/E: Rudder
F/V: Retract/Extend flaps
Mouse moves a virtual joystick
Hold right mouse to turn view with mouse
Double click right mouse to recenter view
Mousewheel to zoom
L: Locks/Unlocks cursor to screen, may have to click the game window first
B: Airbrake and brakes
Left mouse fires, only a couple boxes near the runway intersections to knock around

The HUD needs work, right now zooming or turning your head changes where the camera's focus is, making the elements disappear.

The pitch bars are also basically useless right now, but they are there.

The plane is an F-5 Freedom Fighter.

Redid the pitch bars so they don't look like poo poo anymore. It doesn't transition smoothly when you hit 90*, but I think I'll live with it for now.

ZealousQuakeFan
Feb 13, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Question about Unity's 2D implementation. Is it faster or better in any way to determine which sprites are drawn in front of which by managing Sorting Layers vs Z axis position in space? I can definitely see Sorting Layers being used to sort objects that are children of the same parent but should I be sorting EVERYTHING in the scene by layers? If it's no faster it kinda seems that using Z indexes can be easier to manage sometimes.

As far as I can tell from experimenting Sorting Layers each get there own draw call. So if you have ten layers, you have minimum ten draw calls (providing there's an object on each layer), whereas if they're just sorted by Z you could have only one.

Sorting layers also seemed to act weirdly if mixed in with a lot of sprites that aren't set to a sorting layer (just left on default). Depending on relative camera position draw calls could suddenly spike massively.

ZealousQuakeFan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 4, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

retro sexual posted:

I finally beat the demo. It took me four tries.

On my third try I had >500 glory and then my adventurer decided to fight a monster who's room I dropped an item in by mistake. So he ended up with 4hp and lost to the boss because the boss did 2HP/Damage per turn. :sigh:

So having an undo-action during your turn would be amazing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I finally finished my inventory and skill system, that's been bugging the hell out of me for months. The last two weeks have been spent restructuring my maps... I originally assumed I could make one big map, plug my ears, go "La la la", and have it magically run optimally. I ultimately yanked everything out with a crowbar and replaced it with a simple but IMO fairly snazzy streaming system- now the whole map gets cut up into bite-sized chunks that load in and out (and LOD) as the player moves, basically like an incredibly crappy Skyrim.

Now I'm on to rewriting my AI for the new map system... I originally assumed that all NPCs would be able to see the entire map, so now I'm working on ways to let them behave believably without the geometry. Am I completely nuts for building a simulation complete with references to the various rooms and buildings, and only spawning NPCs in proximity to the PC as visual indicators of what the simulation is doing?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Omi no Kami posted:

Now I'm on to rewriting my AI for the new map system... I originally assumed that all NPCs would be able to see the entire map, so now I'm working on ways to let them behave believably without the geometry. Am I completely nuts for building a simulation complete with references to the various rooms and buildings, and only spawning NPCs in proximity to the PC as visual indicators of what the simulation is doing?
Not at all. This is one way of making a "living world" sim, if that's your goal. Mind you, you should ONLY do that if you actively want a game world that's doing things when the player is elsewhere. It's a ton of work. The alternative is either just bin the sim entirely when the player isn't around, and fake it when necessary (ie. what normal action/RPG/blah games do), or to create a simpler representational sim for the world when the player isn't around - and NPC state is a determinant, but representative, output of that when the player is in proximity.

As in: rather than simulate every member of a bandit group, you just track a "bandit AI" - and when the player gets close to the general "bandit AI" region, spawn some representational bandits that approximate what the group AI is doing at that point. Walk away, they despawn, walk back, the bandits will likely have changed a bit (or maybe there's a timeout before they're subsumed back into the AI whole), etc. This approach makes it way easier to track interesting interactions, like "bandit AI is sitting in one area, and a soldier AI group walks along, and the two get close, so clearly there's a conflict, meaning when you walk through, you see a big drag-out fight between bandits and guards, and one wins, and then one whole AI group dies and the other continues along." That kind of thing, done with a bunch of individual guards VS a bunch of individual bandits, is a nightmare, and generally produces buggy poo poo instead of honestly-interesting interactions that are cool to stumble across. Which is because the "interesting interactions" tend to be pretty hard-coded, where you actually specify all the states that can fall out of "guard VS bandit", how long those states last before they resolve, percentage chances of them resolving into one or another state, yada.

If you want to see an old example of what you get from that representational approach, look at Mercenaries 1. You know, the good one. If you want to see something closer to (but not quite exactly) the "we do actually track at least the hero units individually," look at the recent Shadow Of Mordor. Shadow Of Mordor appears to track hero units, then spawn a bunch of filler orcs based on representational state. If you want to see the full "we literally simulate everything," your examples are Dwarf Fortress et al. EDIT: I... am not actually sure which Morrowind / Skyrim use. Aspects of it seem representational, others seem literal simulate-everything. It's probably a hybrid of sorts.

EDIT2: One key is that the "nowhere near the player" units generally need to NOT be pathing through literal world geometry. That's insane. You need a much simpler pathing network that you can keep entirely loaded in memory all the time, and THAT'S what they path across. When you get close to a node in that network, you then place the character down in the real pathing world, probably with some jitter so that you don't seem them literally tracing the handful of pathing lines on your gross whole-world network. That is, unless you're Dwarf Fortress, in which case insane is the word of the day.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 4, 2014

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Floor plate puzzle fu as part of cleaning up item world interactions.

I hem and hawed on items whether to go a bit more simulationist like Ultima Underworld or just straight forward like other first person crawlers. If I was more confident in Unity physics a UU approach would be fun but I think I'd end up chasing weird bugs too much.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Quick Unity question (again), is there a way in code or some other manner to prevent child objects from inheriting a scaling transformation from their parents? Like some way of locking the scale of an object at 1.0 no matter what?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've never found an in-depth, technical article on how Bethesda games do it, so this is entirely anecdotal, but according to some people in the mod community I spoke with, Skyrim (and thus, I assume Morrowind/Oblivion) essentially keeps a schedule of where NPCs are supposed to be at any given time, and when you spawn a chunk, it checks the schedule to see who is supposed to be inside doing what, and spawns them. That's basically the approach I have now: since most of my game is indoors chunks typically correlate with rooms on a 1:1 basis, so my simulation has hundreds of Room class variables, and each Room keeps a list of its occupants. When someone needs to travel from one room to another I calculate how many chunks they'd need to move through, put them in a Transit list for a duration of time based on how many chunks they're traversing, then move them to their destination. The Transit list is meanwhile what's used to simulate foot traffic around the PC.

Regarding detail, I basically have two categories of NPCs: there are Actors (my terminology), who the PC recognizes and interacts with regularly. Since this is a detective game the player is expected to become familiar with the habits, routines, and schedules of many of the Actors, and is rewarded for identifying discrepancies in their behavior and investigating those. To that end Actors need to be pseudo-realistic, in the sense that if my notes say Bob works at the diner from 9-5, any NPC I ask about him who was in the diner during those hours will report seeing him, and tailing him all day will reveal a behavior pattern consistent with what my notes tell me about him. Currently there are around 500 Actors in the simulation at any one time, and the PC will likely see and interact with between 20-100 of them in an hour of gameplay.

The other category are Extras, who are basically junk NPCs I mix in with the important ones to make the world seem more alive. They have no stats, no schedules, and basically no lives- they wander around, de-spawn, get sent to the pool, and respawn somewhere else. I keep this from being noticeable and/or jarring with a routine that lets me upgrade any Extra who the PC researches into an Actor- as the player seeks details about their life, the game invents those details.

I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Dwarf Fortress for this, and it actually took a long time to pry me away from literally running it like DF and having every Actor fully simulated and in-game at all times. As it is now, my biggest concern is one of conservation of effort- at least right now the world isn't procedural, it's pre-built levels that I manually break into chunks, and the only way the simulation knows what chunk corresponds to Precinct_Bathroom_Mens_03 is that I place a spawner inside the chunk and manually give it a reference to that room in the simulation. I can't really see a way around doing this, as level geometry and my simulation occupy completely different modules, but the final version will conservatively have 500 rooms, and that is a heck of a lot of chances to fumble the mouse and give an incorrect reference that is impossible to detect until guys start showering in the kitchen and cooking in the bathroom.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

Quick Unity question (again), is there a way in code or some other manner to prevent child objects from inheriting a scaling transformation from their parents? Like some way of locking the scale of an object at 1.0 no matter what?

You just need to set up a script that multiplies your desired object scales by 1/(parent scales). It might end up being a bit off because of floating point precision issues, but it should get you a "close enough" result.

Alternatively, set up your hierarchy so you've got an empty game object as the parent and both of your current objects as its children. Then you can scale one independently of the other and move/rotate the parent object to have them move together.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I've never found an in-depth, technical article on how Bethesda games do it, so this is entirely anecdotal, but according to some people in the mod community I spoke with, Skyrim (and thus, I assume Morrowind/Oblivion) essentially keeps a schedule of where NPCs are supposed to be at any given time, and when you spawn a chunk, it checks the schedule to see who is supposed to be inside doing what, and spawns them. That's basically the approach I have now: since most of my game is indoors chunks typically correlate with rooms on a 1:1 basis, so my simulation has hundreds of Room class variables, and each Room keeps a list of its occupants. When someone needs to travel from one room to another I calculate how many chunks they'd need to move through, put them in a Transit list for a duration of time based on how many chunks they're traversing, then move them to their destination. The Transit list is meanwhile what's used to simulate foot traffic around the PC.

Regarding detail, I basically have two categories of NPCs: there are Actors (my terminology), who the PC recognizes and interacts with regularly. Since this is a detective game the player is expected to become familiar with the habits, routines, and schedules of many of the Actors, and is rewarded for identifying discrepancies in their behavior and investigating those. To that end Actors need to be pseudo-realistic, in the sense that if my notes say Bob works at the diner from 9-5, any NPC I ask about him who was in the diner during those hours will report seeing him, and tailing him all day will reveal a behavior pattern consistent with what my notes tell me about him. Currently there are around 500 Actors in the simulation at any one time, and the PC will likely see and interact with between 20-100 of them in an hour of gameplay.

The other category are Extras, who are basically junk NPCs I mix in with the important ones to make the world seem more alive. They have no stats, no schedules, and basically no lives- they wander around, de-spawn, get sent to the pool, and respawn somewhere else. I keep this from being noticeable and/or jarring with a routine that lets me upgrade any Extra who the PC researches into an Actor- as the player seeks details about their life, the game invents those details.

I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Dwarf Fortress for this, and it actually took a long time to pry me away from literally running it like DF and having every Actor fully simulated and in-game at all times. As it is now, my biggest concern is one of conservation of effort- at least right now the world isn't procedural, it's pre-built levels that I manually break into chunks, and the only way the simulation knows what chunk corresponds to Precinct_Bathroom_Mens_03 is that I place a spawner inside the chunk and manually give it a reference to that room in the simulation. I can't really see a way around doing this, as level geometry and my simulation occupy completely different modules, but the final version will conservatively have 500 rooms, and that is a heck of a lot of chances to fumble the mouse and give an incorrect reference that is impossible to detect until guys start showering in the kitchen and cooking in the bathroom.

Obviously you just run some simple "if cooking=true" and "bathroom=true" then Actor==Masaokis setup, and the problem solves itself.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's really not too far off from what I'm doing now- the simulation is pretty nonintensive because it assumes everybody rigidly follows their schedule, and any deviations in schedule occur due to player intervention, which is handled in a different routine that activates when they're actually spawned into an active chunk.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

FuzzySlippers posted:

Floor plate puzzle fu as part of cleaning up item world interactions.

I hem and hawed on items whether to go a bit more simulationist like Ultima Underworld or just straight forward like other first person crawlers. If I was more confident in Unity physics a UU approach would be fun but I think I'd end up chasing weird bugs too much.

This is a super cool environment. Looks like a surreal horror movie realm.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah, I'm getting massive The Shining vibes from that hallway personally.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Looks great!

Can I just say that I agree with this post on the condition that he keep posting amazing gifs of his game in action? Thanks for reading.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Watched the video, went to the website, played the demo. Lots of fun. Look forward to seeing the guild management stuff, should be a blast.

SystemLogoff posted:

I finally beat the demo. It took me four tries.

On my third try I had >500 glory and then my adventurer decided to fight a monster who's room I dropped an item in by mistake. So he ended up with 4hp and lost to the boss because the boss did 2HP/Damage per turn. :sigh:

So having an undo-action during your turn would be amazing.

Thanks guys and well done on that win :D Undo is a good idea, though then you'll need an end turn button rather than it automatically proceeding when you play your third card..

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a bit of an issue when playing a dungeon:

I know I can just keep playing by discarding cards, but it's not particularly interesting. Maybe have a "Secret Door" seek card that allows you to place openings on the edge of tiles? It would also help open up some areas where you get stuck needing one specific card to get to the treasure chest and just can't seem to draw it.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Heh, that's funny cos it's already on my todo list EXACTLY as you have described. Secret doors are also VERY on theme with the idea of a D&D style adventure. I wonder if I can work in the 'S' in the wall type of notation that was used in D&D maps for secret doors somehow...

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Wow, pretty awesome looking games in here!

Me and some friends are currently working on a game called Stupid Survivor. Besides a working game engine, we don't really don't anything to show yet except for some concept art:

The game will be about a guy who tries to save his stuff from a burning building while trying to avoid getting saved. More at https://www.awaregames.fi

Here is a rough animation test for a fire chief:

Will post more in the future.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Oh precious katana posted:

Wow, pretty awesome looking games in here!

Me and some friends are currently working on a game called Stupid Survivor. Besides a working game engine, we don't really don't anything to show yet except for some concept art:

The game will be about a guy who tries to save his stuff from a burning building while trying to avoid getting saved. More at https://www.awaregames.fi

Here is a rough animation test for a fire chief:

Will post more in the future.

Oh wow, getting some massive Hanna-Barbera animation vibes from this. I love it, good work!

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

tehsid posted:

Oh wow, getting some massive Hanna-Barbera animation vibes from this. I love it, good work!

Thanks! Yeah, Hanna-Barbera is definitely an inspiration. :) The final art style for the game is under development, but we are aiming for a 1950s -60s cartoon style.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Somfin posted:

Can I just say that I agree with this post on the condition that he keep posting amazing gifs of his game in action? Thanks for reading.

Oh yeah absolutely do not stop posting :D

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
This is also how Hot Tin Roof did it... until I disabled the code because I realized we'd never have the time to implement, make interesting, and then debug that many NPC schedules. It's a feature I desperately want in a game someday, and this would have been a great one for it, but, man. Super expensive. :(

But the code's done and works great! :smithicide:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah I'll change his body shape to a big X like in Chrono Trigger.

Thanks everyone! I didn't think people would be so happy to see gifs from a janky GM game! Gonna spend the next few days doing combat which is usually where I break everything!

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
GIFs are the best way to share gameplay, keep at it!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Shalinor posted:

This is also how Hot Tin Roof did it... until I disabled the code because I realized we'd never have the time to implement, make interesting, and then debug that many NPC schedules. It's a feature I desperately want in a game someday, and this would have been a great one for it, but, man. Super expensive. :(

But the code's done and works great! :smithicide:

Any particularly salient good or bad lessons learned from implementing? Right now I'm trying to keep it as bare-bones simple as possible, and I think I've managed to keep it computationally inexpensive, but it'll be a week or two before the rest of my ecology is sufficiently feature-complete to start running large test cases and debugging.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You just need to set up a script that multiplies your desired object scales by 1/(parent scales). It might end up being a bit off because of floating point precision issues, but it should get you a "close enough" result.

Alternatively, set up your hierarchy so you've got an empty game object as the parent and both of your current objects as its children. Then you can scale one independently of the other and move/rotate the parent object to have them move together.

I'll probably try the latter, since that seems easiest, thanks!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Uni2D is half-off right now https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/...s_november_2014

Anyone use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

I was reminded more of The Legacy but then I loaded up videos of it and man it just doesnt hold up well. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgz4h82N4iU