Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Max Wilco posted:

Mercenary Kings is on sale for $9.99. I've heard conflicting opinions about it. Is it worth picking up?

Ive found it loving boring. Like aggresively boring. A shame because it looks rad and isnt a bad idea for a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

E8ME?-X5X?P-3ZH3P

That theres a serious sam second encounter code if you replace the missing stuff with the third letter of the alphabet. C what I did there?

Not sure if anyone wants that, but feel free to nab it if you do.

Nabbed it, thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Mercenary Kings is on sale for $9.99. I've heard conflicting opinions about it. Is it worth picking up? I understand that it's not like the Metal Slug games.

I enjoyed it but it depends entirely on your tolerance for repetition. It triggered all my "get fat loot" boxes and I enjoyed actually playing it, especially co-op (played it on PS4), but a lot of people find it super boring. If you like Monster Hunter or Diablo and Metal Slug then just imagine a slower Metal Slug with big stages and crafting. Hell, it's Metal Slug Advance with open ended stages and crafting.

e: Better analogy, it's Metal Slug for Neo Geo Pocket with crafting since that actually had some open ended levels.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 3, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I have no idea how to find archived threads, but if I could, I'd link to the Slammed! CYOA on the wrestling forum to settle all questions about the quality of Choice of Games games.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

al-azad posted:

I enjoyed it but it depends entirely on your tolerance for repetition. It triggered all my "get fat loot" boxes and I enjoyed actually playing it, especially co-op (played it on PS4), but a lot of people find it super boring. If you like Monster Hunter or Diablo and Metal Slug then just imagine a slower Metal Slug with big stages and crafting. Hell, it's Metal Slug Advance with open ended stages and crafting.

e: Better analogy, it's Metal Slug for Neo Geo Pocket with crafting since that actually had some open ended levels.

I'd say the game plays much more like Mega Man, while the graphics are very Metal Slugish. It absolutely does depend on your tolerance for repetition to be enjoyable (same warning I give for Darksiders 2). Given the number of people who don't like Mercenary Kings, I'd say $10 for it is a bit risky when there's plenty of other games you can spend your money on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Max Wilco posted:

Mercenary Kings is on sale for $9.99. I've heard conflicting opinions about it. Is it worth picking up? I understand that it's not like the Metal Slug games.
As you can see,

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Ive found it loving boring. Like aggresively boring. A shame because it looks rad and isnt a bad idea for a video game.
opinions on it are divided, but the most common thing I hear is that it's just samey and grindy and :geno:. I liked it. I also only ever played it co-op with my friends. Your buddies being there can change your opinion of a game entirely, even if the gameplay is still the same, or even lovely.

It's basically Monster Hunter in a Contra interface. There's a lot of running the same stages a bunch of times so you can grind for materials, so due to the random nature of the game, you might be there for a very long time. Great animations, fun to run around in, but in terms of why you run the stages, gets stale quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't there a similar game to it that's all about bros? How different is it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That would be :patriot::911: BROFORCE :911::patriot:

Its pretty good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Tae posted:

Broforce is more like just blowshitup and blow more poo poo up. Doesn't really have a grind effect at all.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've never played it, but the majority opinion I've seen so far is that Broforce is more entertaining than Mercenary Kings.

Also, if you really do want to play MK (but why), rope in a friend so that poo poo sucks less.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tae posted:

If you mean Broforce, Broforce is a massively different game from Merc Kings. Broforce is a faster paced, 2D platformer that just expects you to bum rush through a level while things explode. It's got a fairly linear progression from point A to point B, and the level is over with your primary objectives being not to die and kill everything. Merc Kings is much slower paced, mission based 2D platformer where you grind out materials to make goofy weapons and do a set objective for a mission over a couple of large maps.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey, Steam Enhanced now lists Playfire rewards on the game's store page.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Depth is seriously fun been playing it about a week now. They do balance differently than other games. Humans start at a disadvantage how ever they can gather gold to buy upgrades shark can upgrade too however human upgrades are stronger. It works sharks are strong at start of map but humans are strong at end of map so it really comes down to how much of a qwik lead sharks can get versus how fast humans can close the gap. Games a lot of fun controls well plays well and I dont think i've seen a bug yet if you like arcadey multiplayer shootem up eat em up its solid.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Skip Merc Kings. Especially not worth it for $10 which can buy much better games. Get it for $5 or less if you're interested unless you REALLY have people to play co-op with. It's pretty mediocre and that's the most positive thing I can say about it.

Broforce; however, put your $10 toward this and have a blaaaaaaaaast

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
"It's fun with friends" is one of the biggest red flags a game can have. Driver's Ed was fun with friends.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Picked up Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi in the Halloween sale and really enjoyed what I've seen of it so far.

But is it just me, or does the guy narrating the intro sound weirdly like one of those text-to-speech voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3FW4MbAic

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

"It's fun with friends" is one of the biggest red flags a game can have. Driver's Ed was fun with friends.

How about "it's funner with friends?"

Some games are heavily designed around co-op and that's not a bad thing. For example I love Monaco but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy that if they're going to play alone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

Some games are heavily designed around co-op and that's not a bad thing. For example I love Monaco but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy that if they're going to play alone.

Is Mercenary Kings actually designed around co-op? Do you and your friends have different skills/builds/whatever that complement and support each other? Are the stages made in such a way that it would be infinitely better to have more human players doing stuff that a single player wouldn't be able to do (or would be greatly impeded otherwise)?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Mercenary Kings actually designed around co-op? Do you and your friends have different skills/builds/whatever that complement and support each other? Are the stages made in such a way that it would be infinitely better to have more human players doing stuff that a single player wouldn't be able to do (or would be greatly impeded otherwise)?

iirc the boss on each level spawns randomly in one of a few locations so having more people lets you find them faster. otherwise i dunno

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

You get up to two bionic mods (which adds weight for as long as you have them equipped), a knife (same deal), a gun (the weight goes away when the gun's holstered), and up to two item slots for poo poo like first aid (which are so light, it's not worth mentioning). More poo poo = slower moving and less distance on jumps. There's also proficiencies that are a free bonus depending on what things you have unlocked. Mobility is good, which is why the roll isn't garbage or else no one would ever willingly go for heavy loadouts. You could attack poo poo with the bare basics and live, if you're good enough. What's hard is caring enough to get to that point.

Edit: also, there's spots with bonus goods where if you're not light enough or don't have a gun to carry you, you'll never make it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hatoful Boyfriend is on sale for $4.99.

I kind of want to buy it because I can then say I own a pigeon dating simulator and then I'll play it for 15 hours because I actually really like it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Mercenary Kings is like Metal Slug, if it was paced slow enough for you to see all the art has to offer

Which, sadly, makes it slow and kind of boring instead of fun and exciting

Broforce is much faster paced and is a total blast

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

al-azad posted:

The game is not only a parody it's also pretty dark so yeah, all 3.

Also the name couldn't be more amazingly chosen. Hato is the Japanese word for pigeon, haato is the Japanese pronunciation for 'heart', and hatoful sounds like 'hateful' in English which combines all the key elements of teh game. Hateful Heart Pigeons could have been the actual title to a Japanese visual novel.

Could you elaborate on this in spoiler tags? I thought it would just be a dumb joke worth maybe $2.50 but I'd be willing to pick it up if it's more interesting than that.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Could you elaborate on this in spoiler tags? I thought it would just be a dumb joke worth maybe $2.50 but I'd be willing to pick it up if it's more interesting than that.

It's a post-apocalyptic dystopia where humans are now ruled by birds who want to destroy them once and for all. If your character doesn't find a birdy boyfriend, it's game over. For every human.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's really stupid. I don't care enough about it to determine whether it is funny stupid or bad stupid though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

It's kinda reminiscent of Adventure Time, where there's this not so subtle messed up quality about the world that gets more and more explicit.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

That's really stupid. I don't care enough about it to determine whether it is funny stupid or bad stupid though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatoful_Boyfriend#Bad_Boys_Love
One of the most bizarre things I've read recently

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Also.. this is probably the thing I found most messed up. *spoilers* do not enlarge if you don't want to see one of the endings, since spoiler tags don't seem to work on timgs..

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it seems pretty bad stupid but I guess it's just because I don't think the whole joke is funny. Oh well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Lovely Planet is making my brain hurt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yeah it seems pretty bad stupid but I guess it's just because I don't think the whole joke is funny. Oh well.

Eh, the idea is the no stupider than being trapped in a numbers based death game, playing a murder mystery game with a homicidal teddy bear, or being a lawyer in an absurd future with magic artifacts and lie detecting wristbands and all the other ridiculous setups of popular VN games.

If you liked Princess Torture Simulator Long Live the Queen you'll probably like Hatoful Boyfriend.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deakul posted:

Dude, you might think this is a god damned joke but early access destroyed my family and made my wife kill herself.

Uh, no that was me actually.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Whatever happened to Kentucky Route Zero and Broken Age?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heran Bago posted:

Whatever happened to Kentucky Route Zero and Broken Age?

KRZ devs just released a free and bizarre phone game. A game you can play by calling numbers and poo poo

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Acquire Currency! posted:

KRZ devs just released a free and bizarre phone game. A game you can play by calling numbers and poo poo

wtf is this? a cursory look through the developer site and related twitter accounts and stuff didn't bring anything up about a mobile game. you sure it's them? (I'd be curious to know what this is in any case)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Nokia is doing some weird poo poo these days.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

flesh dance posted:

wtf is this? a cursory look through the developer site and related twitter accounts and stuff didn't bring anything up about a mobile game. you sure it's them? (I'd be curious to know what this is in any case)
It's definitely from them: http://kentuckyroutezero.com/here-and-there-along-the-echo/

I mean previously they did a CG walk through a museum with characters that are dream like apparitions from the game. The developers are weird like that.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Haha, thanks. I scrolled right past that without even seeing it, much less realizing it was a link :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The phone that inspired the game is on auction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITlhHRe0n4&t=312s

KZ0 is like David Lynch: The Game. Just like everyone references Twin Peaks and Earthbound, I guarantee you 10 years from now people will be like "Oh yeah, Kentucky Route Zero that was a huge influence." Granted, in 10 years the last chapter will probably be released.

As for Broken Age, Schafer finished the script last month and called in all the voice actors again. It'll probably be finished Q1 2015 but Schafer said he took to heart all the commentary about the original e.g. better puzzles and longer.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

flesh dance posted:

See your mistake was you saw "phone" game and thought "mobile."

• Locked thread