Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TinTower posted:

outpostgallifrey.png

this is the forum that made talking about the episode leaks into a thoughtcrime because they didn't want anything to spoil their pipe-dream of becoming a bbc-sanctioned Official Forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TinTower posted:

outpostgallifrey.png

Peak autism

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It will never stop being funny to me that people who believe in comic book superheroes or time traveling aliens that regenerate with new faces and personalities are unable to suspend their disbelief any longer the second that one of the characters is a different race or gender than they expected.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's just off the shelf anti-feminism only they have reached a degree of wretchedness that they cannot even admit it within their own little enclave. There is no hope for them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xelkelvos posted:

I'll admit I did the same thing. It may have come up in my head, but it immediately didn't register. Even with the Cyberman Eye symbol appearing everywhere.

Everywhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's just off the shelf anti-feminism only they have reached a degree of wretchedness that they cannot even admit it within their own little enclave. There is no hope for them.

I was actually going to say, as much as we may slag off Moffat for being a bit of a prat, the fact remains that there are fans out there who are convinced that he has a sinister "feminist agenda" for Doctor Who.

In fact I'd be tempted to wager that as much as this clumsy sexism that sometimes gets into his scripts may bother you of I or anyone else in this thread, there are fans of the show who are ten times more bent out of shape over the fact that he'd even pay lip-service to the idea of casting a woman as the Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Or casting a woman at all as someone with a bit of agency, really.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

This would be particularly good if the TARDIS were disguised as a car or bus, so that as the Doctor gave his speech, we could hear the sound of screeching tires followed by the TARDIS's vanishing sound.

Funny you should mention that, considering...

Terror of the Autons is amazing and you should all watch it if you haven't. Big influence on this past episode, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXrAK6sUZ_0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spoilers Below posted:

Terror of the Autons is amazing and you should all watch it if you haven't. Big influence on this past episode, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXrAK6sUZ_0

Yeah, I had an inflatable chair and it kept deflating just like that.

Terribly embarassing when you have company, but not what I'd call a real threat to humanity.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
would really dig if red telephone box was the Mistress's TARDIS, just because it'd be another laugh on the Doctor. Like, the Doctor's foiled the Cybermen, and he's got UNIT with him to capture her, and she runs, and then they hear a familiar noise, and the red telephone box whooshes away. Cut to the smuggest look on Missy's face. :smug:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Well my hatred of a female Master is really about ethics in gaming journalism."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or casting a woman at all as someone with a bit of agency, really.

You'd think they'd be happy that the woman is a villain.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

"Well my hatred of a female Master is really about ethics in gaming journalism."

"I think it's sexist that the first female Master is evil."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The part I find funny is how he assumes everyone shares his particular thought process. "When will the real doctor return?", I don't know guy, when WILL doctor who return to your particular set of standards that apparently broke with having a female master as opposed to all the other crap in the past 7 series like the death of all the time lords, the undoing of the death of all the time lords. farting aliens, companion romances, the master having "I hear drums" retroactively fitted as a motivation, etc, not to mention the classic series constantly rewriting its own rules too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

When will the Doctor go back to not having a tattoo??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Acne Rain posted:

not to mention the classic series constantly rewriting its own rules too.

Seriously, it was already mentioned re: Hartnell regenerating into Troughton, but the Classic Series just threw in new stuff/changed things all the time whenever it suited them.

I mean hell, Season 7 of the classic series is about as radical a departure as you can get from the previous six seasons, to the point that it could have almost literally been an entirely different show if they'd just removed the TARDIS, changed the Brigadier and UNIT's names, and called the Doctor "Professor Mystery" or something like that. Hell, some would argue it's closer to Quatermass than Who.

Edit: Quatermass, not Quatermain :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, some would argue it's closer to Quatermain than Who.

Heh, I was actually listening to a recording of an interview Terrance Dicks did at a convention earlier this year, and that is exactly what he said.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Quatermass, and it's especially true for The Ambassadors

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That guy with the avatar of Tom Baker looking at a Prime computer and reacting to internet posts with disgust should replace all the pictures he's reacting to with Irish Joe posts.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
Anyone know whether there will be a Children in Need short/special/crossover/minisode whatever this year?

During the Tennant/Smith years there were several shorts filmed and even going back to the classic era and Curse of Fatal Death the BBC has had a Who presence during these types of events. I thought I read something somewhere about something this year but can't seem to find it. Ayone have more info or a link?

I need my 12 fix inbetween the finale and x-mas , and also they usually were light-hearted fare, which we haven't seen Capaldi do too much of...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OF DEATH?

*twang*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dammit, can't believe I got the name wrong :doh:

The Daemons also owes a hell of a lot of Quatermass and the Pit, though being Who it's a little more optimistic about the "demon". Plus it ends with the Master almost escaping because he realizes that Sergeant Benton is a budgie and will fall asleep if something covers his face!

Edit: Benton goddammit, my mind is going.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 3, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Dammit, can't believe I got the name wrong :doh:

Jerusalem posted:

Sergeant Benson

I see I see

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really really like Missy now. Kind of bizarre how something as trivial as a name reveal can make you turn a 180 on a character. Maybe I'm stupid. Then again, I do love The Master to a ridiculous degree. I do own Time-Flight, after all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I see I see

Man I'm having a bad day today.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really really like Missy now. Kind of bizarre how something as trivial as a name reveal can make you turn a 180 on a character. Maybe I'm stupid. Then again, I do love The Master to a ridiculous degree. I do own Time-Flight, after all.

She didn't do anything before this particular episode where her scam was revealed and she got to be a funny jerk. She made a bad impression with being in heaven and having a crush on the doctor but now the former is a bizarre scam and the latter just feels to me like when bugs bunny dressed up in drag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

She didn't do anything before this particular episode where her scam was revealed and she got to be a funny jerk. She made a bad impression with being in heaven and having a crush on the doctor but now the former is a bizarre scam and the latter just feels to me like when bugs bunny dressed up in drag.

She better ride a fat horse at some point in the finale :colbert:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

McGann posted:

I was agreeing with you. He had no idea that kid was in there, so I don't think he is really at fault. Though, obviously, he is going to feel regret and responsibility because he shot a kid. Still, I think the mental image of Danny being an intentional child murderer is funny.
Don't think you are agreeing with me because I do say he is really at fault.
Although not 'intentionally' a child killer.
The Oscar Pistorius defence is weak one.

Anyway I thought the episode was quite good. Embarrassed to say that I was certain she wasn't The Master and the hints must've been a fakeout.
Her parts on previous episodes all felt a bit tacked ok; basically interchangeable with no connection to anything else that happened. So the reveal did feel like a bit of a 'so what' moment.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Okay. Finally got around to watching Dark Water. My fears about the season long arc are allayed, because I think that was pretty awesome. I'm kicking myself for not figuring out that Missy is the Master before it was revealed, but I guess I was being too smug about calling the Cybermen being in the tanks as soon as I heard their musical cue. Moffat almost had me thinking it was an evil Romana for a second too, when she said the "left behind" line. I hope they leave how the Master survived The End of Time as vague as when every time he kept popping up in Davison's serials, but I'm guessing they'll at least say he escaped through the crack during The Time of the Doctor. I also did like that they had her pretend to be a robot for no other reason than to be a dick, it reminded me of his stupid disguise during Time-Flight.

I was almost expecting that the serious, dramatic cliffhanger would be buttoned by Capaldi freaking out that she kissed him once she said who she was.

I was worried the finale was gonna suck but now I can't wait to see where this goes.

Poor Gordon Tipple, playing second fiddle to a CGI snake...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Acne Rain posted:

That's the thing; once you know it's The Master loving with The Doctor for the billionth time, everything becomes much more palatable. "Heaven" is obviously a scheme, the boyfriend line is obviously a joke, and everyone knows the character won't be yet another awful Moffat mary sue. Hopefully.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

During 9's death he said

quote:

I might never make sense again! I might have two heads, or no head. Imagine me with no head, ha! And don't say that's an improvement... But it's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're going to end up with.
so "regenerations can change your gender" never seemed like much of a leap to me. It was also explicitly confirmed as possible during The Doctor's Wife, so I always thought Moffat's dismissal of a female doctor was a ruse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven't seen The Doctor's Wife in ages, but it's the line about The Corsair, right?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I haven't seen The Doctor's Wife in ages, but it's the line about The Corsair, right?

She was a bad girl.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I kind of think Moffat wanted a female Master because he understands why a female Doctor would be a good step but in his heart of hearts he hates the idea, so this is his compromise.

The bastard.

River Song was always basically the Master as far as I was concerned anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
River is the worst recurring character in the revival. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Psybro posted:

River was a Make-A-Wish kid who didn't know she'd made-a-wish

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

During 9's death he said
so "regenerations can change your gender" never seemed like much of a leap to me. It was also explicitly confirmed as possible during The Doctor's Wife, so I always thought Moffat's dismissal of a female doctor was a ruse.

11 briefly thought he was a girl when he first appeared too, I don't get why this is shocking heresy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Psybro posted:

I kind of think Moffat wanted a female Master because he understands why a female Doctor would be a good step but in his heart of hearts he hates the idea, so this is his compromise.

The bastard.

Girl Doctor would be a terrible idea because the writers would be unable to just roll with it. There would be terribly awkward jokes about it shoehorned into the worst of places.

The world blowing up about it would be great and I have no objections to the concept, I just honestly don't trust writers to just write for a girl Doctor in the same way they would a male Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

...OF DEATH!

• Locked thread