Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bryn987 posted:

Where do you get this $30 plan at?

Buy one of these at Walmart for immediate gratification, or find the plan kind of hidden at the bottom of the TMo prepaid site

In related news, Target has refill cards on sale for slightly below face value, plus the RedCard discount: I'm rolling at $27/mo for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm getting a Z3C soon and I'm interested in switching off my parents' Verizon plan to T-Mobile, but I have a couple questions. First, I don't do much talking on my phone so that $30 plan looks very appealing, but does it include the international roaming? I travel internationally a few times a year so not having to switch SIM cards would be really useful, not a dealbreaker though. Second, would I be able to port my number over to T-Mobile despite not being the primary Verizon account holder?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Shoren posted:

I'm getting a Z3C soon and I'm interested in switching off my parents' Verizon plan to T-Mobile, but I have a couple questions. First, I don't do much talking on my phone so that $30 plan looks very appealing, but does it include the international roaming? I travel internationally a few times a year so not having to switch SIM cards would be really useful, not a dealbreaker though. Second, would I be able to port my number over to T-Mobile despite not being the primary Verizon account holder?

I'm pretty sure you can roam on the $30 plan but it won't be with the good roaming where you get the .20 cents a minute, free text, and data. You would be charged per minute and text, and data is something crazy like $15 a megabyte. You can port it over, you will need the account number and the account holders last 4 of their social security number.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Burden posted:

I'm pretty sure you can roam on the $30 plan but it won't be with the good roaming where you get the .20 cents a minute, free text, and data. You would be charged per minute and text, and data is something crazy like $15 a megabyte. You can port it over, you will need the account number and the account holders last 4 of their social security number.

According to this page prepaid plans get no international data roaming at all.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
I can confirm that the prepaid plan has no international data of any kind.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
you can't swap SIM cards online anymore can you? I followed the link and it defaults to the main page.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Go to http://www.tmobile.com/sim, log in, and you'll be at the swap setting page.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

bobfather posted:

Go to http://www.tmobile.com/sim, log in, and you'll be at the swap setting page.

I'm logged in and it keeps redirecting me to the t-mobile home page.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I'm logged in and it keeps redirecting me to the t-mobile home page.

Are you on prepaid? If so I don't believe you can. I had to call when I had to swap to a different SIM

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
so if I am at a 70$ a month plan and want to switch to the $30 one I would have to get a new #? :(

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Weaponized Cum posted:

so if I am at a 70$ a month plan and want to switch to the $30 one I would have to get a new #? :(

You can port your number to another carrier, sign up for the $30 plan, and port your number back. You can use Google Voice if you want

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So this is a thing ... I'm an idiot, nevermind.

fondue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What device is that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cojawfee posted:

What device is that.

I think its a nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a Nexus 9. I don't know why that was posted in here.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's a Nexus 9. I don't know why that was posted in here.

Because I"m an idiot and posted it to the wrong thread. :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just to check the flow out for the nerd plan - order phone from prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com. They send a phone, a SIM, and a $30 card. Then...? There's nowhere I can see where I select a plan from the site, and I don't want to actually buy a phone to figure out how this is going to work next week when I bang my head against the wall trying to get a Nexus 6.

Also - possible to have two $30 plans on the same bill? Or is that just madness?

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 4, 2014

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I have an international Nexus 5. It works well enough, but would I see a significant change if I were to switch to a US version? Enough to justify the cost/hassle, that is. This is mainly with regard to data, as voice and reception is plenty good enough.

This is in the LA area.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Deathlove posted:

Just to check the flow out for the nerd plan - order phone from prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com. They send a phone, a SIM, and a $30 card. Then...? There's nowhere I can see where I select a plan from the site, and I don't want to actually buy a phone to figure out how this is going to work next week when I bang my head against the wall trying to get a Nexus 6.

Also - possible to have two $30 plans on the same bill? Or is that just madness?

Order the prepaid sim kit (I assume the N6 takes nano sim cards) now. Order the phone whenever you can. When you get the phone, put the sim in. Activate the sim online through the website using the IMEI and sim activation code that comes with the kit.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I traded in 3 Verizon iPhones (two 4 and a 4s) but I chose the wrong model number for one of the 4. They were both 8gb but I accidentally selected the wrong MLL# or whatever from the huge loving drop-down list. The other two phones were already credited to my account but it's still showing they haven't received the other one.

How gently caress ed am I? It's literally the same type of phone and the serial number is correct so I'm hoping they don't try to dick me over.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is sort of a cross post from the iPad Thread. How bad is the throttling of data speed if you go over your monthly allotment? Is it like down to 3G or even slower like ISDN or 56k speeds?

Also, what's the catch to the free 200MB plan?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Three-Phase posted:

This is sort of a cross post from the iPad Thread. How bad is the throttling of data speed if you go over your monthly allotment? Is it like down to 3G or even slower like ISDN or 56k speeds?

Also, what's the catch to the free 200MB plan?

Did something change? It used to just cut off after 200mb with a popup page to buy a refill.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My wife wants to upgrade her iPhone 5S to the latest iPhone, what's the best way to do it? Her current phone is on the EIP and has a balance on it, can she just bring it in and trade it or would it be better to pay off the EIP and sell the phone on the market?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I just got a mailer that said my old value plan was being upgraded and pointed to this link:

http://t-mobile.com/newbenefits/

It said my bill would raise by $1 or less, and I'd be upgraded to unlimited everything on my 2 line family plan. We were paying $90/mo for 2 smartphones, along with one of the old VOIP lines. This means we're going to still be paying around $90/mo for what's essentially a $140 family plan.

That's good, I guess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Civil posted:

I just got a mailer that said my old value plan was being upgraded and pointed to this link:

It said my bill would raise by $1 or less, and I'd be upgraded to unlimited everything on my 2 line family plan. We were paying $90/mo for 2 smartphones, along with one of the old VOIP lines. This means we're going to still be paying around $90/mo for what's essentially a $140 family plan.

That's good, I guess.

I got that too but haven't read the details yet. I'm skeptical because the last time TM offered to change my plan, what I was told over the phone and what I actually ended paying didn't match up. Then later they decided my plan was a mistake (in their favor) and changed it again.

edit; so I'm paying $85/mo now for 3 lines, shared minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data on 2 lines. Under Simple Choice my rate jumps to $110/mo. This post card makes it sound like I would get Simple Choice for $86/mo but I don't believe them. And I don't see a way to option out.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 6, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I'm currently on Sprint and I'm really considering the $30 prepaid plan and getting a Nexus 6 or maybe something smaller, I'm not sure yet (currently using a Galaxy S4, not sure if I really want to go bigger than that). Anyway to my question, does anyone know how coverage is in the Portland/Beaverton, OR area? I've browsed Sensorly maps but they're not exactly all that reliable with their Sprint maps so I'm not sure if I should trust it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Edit: lol doublepost

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 6, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

FlyingCheese posted:

So I'm currently on Sprint and I'm really considering the $30 prepaid plan and getting a Nexus 6 or maybe something smaller, I'm not sure yet (currently using a Galaxy S4, not sure if I really want to go bigger than that). Anyway to my question, does anyone know how coverage is in the Portland/Beaverton, OR area? I've browsed Sensorly maps but they're not exactly all that reliable with their Sprint maps so I'm not sure if I should trust it.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

I did this for my area (which I assumed would result in at least "good" because Chicagoland), and it was great. They just mail you an iPhone 5 and say "enjoy your week!"

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was planning on walking into a tmobile next week to grab a Nexus 6, then stick my Verizon sim card in it. Will I have an issue buying the phone if I don't use tmobile as my carrier?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I was planning on walking into a tmobile next week to grab a Nexus 6, then stick my Verizon sim card in it. Will I have an issue buying the phone if I don't use tmobile as my carrier?

Yes. Stores won't sell it to you unless you have a plan or are starting service.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Super Dude posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that wont give you voice or text. Just data, since Verizon is CDMA.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Beefstorm posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that wont give you voice or text. Just data, since Verizon is CDMA.

Nexus 6 works the same on all carriers.

Burden posted:

Yes. Stores won't sell it to you unless you have a plan or are starting service.

drat. :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Deathlove posted:

I did this for my area (which I assumed would result in at least "good" because Chicagoland), and it was great. They just mail you an iPhone 5 and say "enjoy your week!"

Oh awesome. I'll check this out. Thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Deathlove posted:

I'll spend a week in Montana in a few weeks. Maybe I'll do the trial, go bezerk on data and see what they say/do.

Fun! (they have zero native coverage in the entire state - all roaming).

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Burden posted:

well... If you don't mind paying for one month, since there aren't any contracts just get some cheap service then cancel after one month.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Burden posted:

I need a phone to sign up for the $30 plan, so can I just bring my SIM in and start it up then? Or does it need to be active already? How can I make this work?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Deathlove posted:

Thanks for this too. It's a 5s now & just ordered one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

So I traded in my iPhone 4 in September when T-Mobile was beating AT&T's trade in values by offering $201 (AT&T was offering $200 at the time). It was not even technically the price match promotion apparently, T-Mobile was outright beating AT&T by $1 so they didn't have to throw in the $50 price match bonus.

T-Mobile finally accepts my phone, and I'm told they gave me a $58 statement credit. Complete bullshit... call up T-Mobile, they are acting like T-Mobile never offered $201 for the iPhone 4. And that I should have filled out the price match guarantee 7 days after I initiated the trade in to get them to price match it. Except I was told not to do this, because T-Mobile was offering $1 more and it was not technically a price match! Rep on the phone looks up the price of the phone and tells me it's $58 right now to trade in the iPhone 4.

Thankfully, I had notes on my account stating that I wanted to trade in my phone and have T-Mobile price match AT&T's $200 value. It was honestly a too good to be true deal, and I wanted notes on my account stating what I was doing before I initiated the trade in. So after talking to supervisors on the phone it looks like they are just going to honor the notes on the account by giving me an additional $192 statement credit to honor the notes. Will see if this credit comes in within 72 hours as promised.

As a follow up to this for those that were curious…

It took three calls to customer service to get my $192 credit for my phone trade in. All of them said that the credit would show up within 24 hours, it didn't until I had the third person do it for me. So the $192 came through instantly, but I am still waiting the 2 months or so for the $58 remainder from the actual trade in that I received.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They credited me $232 for a well beaten and dented Iphone 5 within 2 weeks of sending it off to Assurant. I actually expected them to clawback a bit once they actually saw the poor thing, but they haven't yet.

Gonna trade in my Pops old Ipad 1 as well at some point since I got him an Ipad 3 and added it to my Tmobb account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Civil posted:

That's good, I guess.

Quoting myself because apparently, this upgrade has been postponed indefinitely. When my bill rolled over today, all my old limits were still in place, so I called 611 to ask what's up. The CSR said the plan had been postponed, and I'd remain on my old plan.

No loss, I guess, but they never updated that website, which is now incorrect.