Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Maarek posted:

In what way is your forum 'moderate'?

Because there isn't one prevailing groupthink. We have lefties, we have right wingers, we have neo-nazis, we have atheists, we have religious people, we have minorities that aren't just white guys cosplaying a la SedanChair

If you disagree with someone, there's no report button or dogpiling, you live and die by the strength of your arguments and jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yuriy posted:

Because there isn't one prevailing groupthink. We have lefties, we have right wingers, we have neo-nazis, we have atheists, we have religious people, we have minorities that aren't just white guys cosplaying a la SedanChair

If you disagree with someone, there's no report button or dogpiling, you live and die by the strength of your arguments and jokes

Given that the main draw for SS is if you think that SA is too heavily moderated, isn't this a self-selective factor that encourages a different style of groupthink? Is SS protected from groupthink by the ability to respond to someone's posts with goatse and racial slurs?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Do you guys think there's a significant overlap between people who have uncharitable views about minority groups and people who are successful, hard-working & well-adjusted?

No, but I'd say there's definitely an overlap between people who believe in bootstrapping their way out of adversity, instead of taking on a victim mentality, and people who are successful, hard-working and well-adjusted.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
I think Thug Drink is searching for that "A-Ha!" moment where he single handedly deflates SS's every argument with one well-aimed thrust of his logic sword.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Yuriy posted:

Because there isn't one prevailing groupthink.

Check out the vast rainbow of opinions on SASS.

Why do you go to such lengths to pretend there isn't some sort of prevailing ideology on SASS. It's obvious that there is. Would admitting that undercut the complaint that SA is bad now because of 'groupthink'?

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Like if heavy moderation doesn't drive you away, and that's your specific complaint about SA, then how can you attribute that cause to others?

It hasn't driven me away completely, but it's made things a lot more boring. I spend way less time on here than I used to. I follow a couple of threads on here which still manage to hold my attention just-barely enough. I used to have a whole arsenal of threads which I couldn't wait to check on. SA used to dominate my internet time, now it accounts for about 5-10% of my internet use vs what used to be 75%

Heavy moderation has contributed to less debate/conflict that held my attention and kept me wondering "What's that person gonna say in response to those claims?" It kept me coming back for more. Heavy moderation has also contributed towards the same content for pages upon pages of posts. I used to follow threads. Now I'll read the first page, read 3 posts on the 2nd page realizing "these are the same points they made on the first page," mash the space bar a few times, glance at a random post, realize "yep, still the same," click the last page, read the last post, realize "yup, also the same" and just be done with it.

Not a whole lot of diversity anymore, which is pretty ironic. Likewise for SS but at least SS doesn't ban/probate for differing opinions.

My point is, I'll read both forums but they're both boring because the liberals go here and the republicans go there. If there was a forum where they were able to clash together, like the good ol' days, without fear of punishment, I'd be all over that forum.

I'm of the camp "Can't we all just not get along, together?"

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
To call it an "ideology" assumes that everyone is 99 the same page, even those with admittedly racist views. But that poll says at least last time I looked at it, that two thirds of those polled do not consider themselves racist.

Edit: down to about 60%, time to light those crosses on fire and head on over to the colored side of town

GAPO fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 4, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Maarek posted:

Check out the vast rainbow of opinions on SASS.

Why do you go to such lengths to pretend there isn't some sort of prevailing ideology on SASS. It's obvious that there is. Would admitting that undercut the complaint that SA is bad now because of 'groupthink'?

I'm not sure what point you're making here because the results of the poll you linked show that there's a veritable rainbow of racism and non-racism there

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GAPO posted:

I think Thug Drink is searching for that "A-Ha!" moment where he single handedly deflates SS's every argument with one well-aimed thrust of his logic sword.

I think this sort of attitude makes longing for the days of intellectualism unintentionally ironic.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Let's say you are a person who thinks that SA, as a for-profit business, is not run very well. Users are expected to pay cash money for features that other forums have for free, crazy people and weirdos are sometimes given moderator powers, and it's technically against the rules to 'sass' them. These are all reasons to make fun of or criticize SA and any 'moderate' person might agree with them.

Again, why is a forum devoted to this idea also full of people who have strong opinions about black people? What does one have to do with the other?

GAPO posted:

To call it an "ideology" assumes that everyone is 99 the same page, even those with admittedly racist views. But that poll says at least last time I looked at it, that two thirds of those polled do not consider themselves racist.

Edit: down to about 60%, time to light those crosses on fire and head on over to the colored side of town

Well, I guess if the guys at chimp-out.cx say they aren't racist...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAPO posted:

I'm really just trying to see if there's anything to SS aside from general immature malcontents who get mad that they get slapped on the wrist for dropping racial slurs. Try not to feel so persecuted all the time.

GAPO posted:

Well you do all agree that SA is too politically correct without any real evidence. That's a pretty big common factor given how generally few people hold that attitude.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

I'm really just trying to see if there's anything to SS aside from general immature malcontents who get mad that they get slapped on the wrist for dropping racial slurs. Try not to feel so persecuted all the time.

too bad it doesn't shoot A HONEST HARD DAY"S WORK then the blacks would run screaming

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Maarek posted:

Let's say you are a person who thinks that SA, as a for-profit business, is not run very well. Users are expected to pay cash money for features that other forums have for free, crazy people and weirdos are sometimes given moderator powers, and it's technically against the rules to 'sass' them. These are all reasons to make fun of or criticize SA and any 'moderate' person might agree with them.

Again, why is a forum devoted to this idea also full of people who have strong opinions about black people? What does one have to do with the other?

Not really sure, except that "human being" and "friend of the family" were used more in the early days of SA, or so I'm told...

Maybe there are people on SA who would be openly racist if the ban on such speech was lifted. You can't really gauge how many racists may or.may not be on SA when "racism" is a ban.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Isn't that the kind of thing you would say there should be more of on SA? Why are you attempting to shame me with the thing you celebrate? I'm not mad I got banned for that post. Why are you? It doesn't help anyone if you get generally upset on my behalf.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Isn't that the kind of thing you would say there should be more of on SA? Why are you attempting to shame me with the thing you celebrate? I'm not mad I got banned for that post. Why are you?

You got fined 10$ for making a pretty funny joke

That's kinda hosed up imo, especially for what was at one point a comedy site

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Isn't that the kind of thing you would say there should be more of on SA? Why are you attempting to shame me with the thing you celebrate? I'm not mad I got banned for that post. Why are you?

really man? Blatant rampant hypocrisy doesn't cause even a moments pause?

this is some real self-awareness.txt

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yuriy posted:

That's kinda hosed up imo, especially for what was at one point a comedy site

So? That's just the way things are. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't post here. So what's the point of not liking it AND continuing to post here? Doesn't your behavior defang your argument?

treeboy posted:

really man? Blatant rampant hypocrisy doesn't cause even a moments pause?

this is some real self-awareness.txt

There's nothing hypocritical about my posts, because I'm not the one whining about heavy handed moderation. I made a post that violated the rules, and I got punished for it. I didn't go to a secret clubhouse to complain about it. I'm not sure you understand what hypocrisy is.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

BUTT PIPE posted:

How can you be sure? It's pretty pathetic to imagine somebody actually doing it, but it's not like it would be difficult to lie about your race on the Internet.

You mean like SedanChair? :allears:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

It doesn't help anyone if you get generally upset on my behalf.

This is actually a good argument against SJW-thought

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Yuriy posted:

You should be fined 10$ for thinking Popular Thug Drink is funny.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Also you'll find I've dont use the n word as its disrespectful to hard working black folks. But im not going to piss and moan about someone who chooses too because its the fuckin internet who gives a poo poo what some clown says.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

So? That's just the way things are. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't post here. So what's the point of not liking it AND continuing to post here? Doesn't your behavior defang your argument?

Different subforums have different communities and types of moderation, I post in the man-punch forums about man-punching

We don't talk about racial issues all that much because no one cares

Maarek posted:

You should be fined 10$ for thinking Popular Thug Drink is funny.

Don't put words in my mouth, unfunny people can tell funny jokes sometimes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't know where you are going with this thug. I'm not an SS guy or whatever but actively trying to make the forums better is a cool thing for posters and staff to do. The fact that people like these forums as a whole but are dissatisfied with elements of them is not weird.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know where you are going with this thug. I'm not an SS guy or whatever but actively trying to make the forums better is a cool thing for posters and staff to do. The fact that people like these forums as a whole but are dissatisfied with elements of them is not weird.

I don't see how vacant whining is 'trying to make the forums better'. By continuing to give lowtax money but lodging most of their complaints offsite the SS contingent is actively working against what they aim to do. Seems kind of cowardly to be honest. Like saying that SJWs are just self-important gasbags posting too much on the internet but then doing exactly that... I just don't see where this rises above the level of nerds with issues.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Also you'll find I've dont use the n word as its disrespectful to hard working black folks. But im not going to piss and moan about someone who chooses too because its the fuckin internet who gives a poo poo what some clown says.

The majority of threads on SS are about what people say, and giving a poo poo about it.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

For a long time on SA complaining about the mods or forums in general would lead to punishment. People still get banned or probated for 'mod sass' or making fun of the wrong person. Complaints went offsite because it was impossible to complain onsite.

My curiosity about SS has always been whether or not they realized they built a hugbox for a certain kind of thinking or if they really think it's a 'moderate' place, but I guess its the latter?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Effectronica posted:

The majority of threads on SS are about what people say, and giving a poo poo about it.

Nope, that's pretty much GBS 2.1.2 and it's more about "laugh at the insane person" than giving a poo poo about the idiocy that dribbles out of your mouth

I mean you should know, you keep getting mocked there

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

For a long time on SA complaining about the mods or forums in general would lead to punishment. People still get banned or probated for 'mod sass' or making fun of the wrong person. Complaints went offsite because it was impossible to complain onsite.

Accepting that complaining about an obscure internet website is kind of pathetic, hasn't this policy changed since Aatrek got banned? Couldn't this be evidenced by the continual collapse of these offsite communities?

Maarek posted:

My curiosity about SS has always been whether or not they realized they built a hugbox for a certain kind of thinking or if they really think it's a 'moderate' place, but I guess its the latter?

That's what I'm aiming at also and all I can come up with is that no, they really do believe they're some kind of ironic shitposting forum that actually has moral legitimacy as the hideout for SA apostates.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

I don't see how vacant whining is 'trying to make the forums better'. By continuing to give lowtax money but lodging most of their complaints offsite the SS contingent is actively working against what they aim to do. Seems kind of cowardly to be honest. Like saying that SJWs are just self-important gasbags posting too much on the internet but then doing exactly that... I just don't see where this rises above the level of nerds with issues.

Hard to call it "vacant whining" when we have directly or indirectly caused several of the mods we hold responsible for the current state of affairs to disappear from the forums, or at least step down. Sure it's not a 180 degree turnaround, bit it's hardly "vacant whining". You say that Co timing to post here despite our issues makes it easy for those in charge to ignore us, but according to Abe there is or at least was an idea to hear us out and listen to or at least tolerate our viewpoints.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yuriy posted:

Nope, that's pretty much GBS 2.1.2 and it's more about "laugh at the insane person" than giving a poo poo about the idiocy that dribbles out of your mouth

I mean you should know, you keep getting mocked there

You gave enough of a poo poo about people mouthing off to investigate their personal lives. This is blatant hypocrisy, funnily enough.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Accepting that complaining about an obscure internet website is kind of pathetic, hasn't this policy changed since Aatrek got banned? Couldn't this be evidenced by the continual collapse of these offsite communities?

Forbidden Lesbian has posted lolicon dick girls and really hosed up poo poo multiple times and is a mod

A bunch of FYAD dudes + my homie Keg got banned recently for mocking the movie reviews

Mod sass punishments are still very much a thing and weirdo mods still exist

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

As a person posting in a 'ask me about my forum that makes fun of an obscure internet website' I'm not going to throw stones about people wasting time. As for collapsing, if a venture capitalist bought SA tomorrow and magically fixed all of its problems there would still be a reason for SS to exist. It's pretty much the dark mirror goatee version of the LF offsite.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAPO posted:

Hard to call it "vacant whining" when we have directly or indirectly caused several of the mods we hold responsible for the current state of affairs to disappear from the forums, or at least step down. Sure it's not a 180 degree turnaround, bit it's hardly "vacant whining". You say that Co timing to post here despite our issues makes it easy for those in charge to ignore us, but according to Abe there is or at least was an idea to hear us out and listen to or at least tolerate our viewpoints.

I'll grant you Aatrek was a piece of poo poo, but who else and why did you cause to lose modship?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
you realize someone just googles their username to see what embarassing poo poo they've posted right? No ones putting in hours of work, theres no hacking.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Effectronica posted:

You gave enough of a poo poo about people mouthing off to investigate their personal lives. This is blatant hypocrisy, funnily enough.

Imo it's very funny when people who are pro-labor and pro-communism are work-shy, claim disability for sad brains and have thousands of hours on steam

"Investigating their personal lives" is 99% of the time looking through your post history here and reposting posts you personally made

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Aatrek dox:1. Wow that guy really sucks, wonder if hes posted really heinous poo poo online. 2. oh hes got an account on a star trek forum writing. name aaron nadler. 3. goole aaron nadler 4. CHILD RAPIST like 5 minutes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

you realize someone just googles their username to see what embarassing poo poo they've posted right? No ones putting in hours of work, theres no hacking.

Oh is that all.

Yuriy posted:

Imo it's very funny when people who are pro-labor and pro-communism are work-shy, claim disability for sad brains and have thousands of hours on steam

"Investigating their personal lives" is 99% of the time looking through your post history here and reposting posts you personally made

Why do you think this is a good, positive, healthy thing to do? Why do you care so much what other people on the internet think and say?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Oh is that all.

Why do you think this is a good, positive, healthy thing to do? Why do you care so much what other people on the internet think and say?

its funny to find out the guy obsessed with misogyny in videogames gets rock hard to causing women pain and posts about it in graphic detail on another site under the same username.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there have been forums and blogs complaining/mocking various aspects of SA since at least 2002 if not earlier, some of them claiming at times to have an agenda of making the forums better, but its kind of hard to say whether any have done so considering the various conflicting agendas, the anonymity and multiple account use by many of the people involved, and the rather arbitrary nature of those sites and of SA itself. i don't think there has ever a time when there wasn't some portion of the userbase complaining that the place was either too politically correct and/or too racist and misogynist (usually both)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

When most goon arguments come from a place of moral superiority and self-righteousness it's funny/good to point out that at the end of the day all that shits boils down to "Do as I say, not as I do"

• Locked thread