Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot the best part; there's an emote to request, and give, a hug to your co-op buddy :allears:.
I knew you could give a hug, but you can request hugs? I never knew!

Man, my co-op buddy was lucky I didn't know that. He'd be busy bouncing around, avoiding turrets, then he'd get a big flashing notice that Atlas needs a hug RIGHT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Been playing Metal Gear Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes in anticipation of Phantom Pain coming out soon, and there were a few things I really liked in GZ.

First, the game is gorgeous, the way everything looks when it's raining, the sun shining off things, etc. Its beautiful.

Next, I was hanging off a cliff, hiding from the enemy who spotted me, when they announced to their superior I couldn't be found. Normally, anything they say into their radios I hear too, since its tapped into their system. With him standing five feet above me, I heard him call his SO, with his voice echoing in my ear over the radio. Pretty neat attention to detail.

The effect when you go into the dark from the light and visa versa. It messes with your eyes for a second.

You can drive vehicles now, which make it super easy to sneak by or with someone. Also jumping into the armored vehicle and laying waste to camp omega.

I'm real excited for TPP. :dance:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In Payday 2, they just released an update where you break out Old Hoxton from captivity.

Now, Old Hoxton was from Payday 1 until he was arrested. He was replaced by another dude in 2, and when you break Old Hox out, he'll constantly insult the new guy for taking his mask and codename.

When you get Old Hoxton as a playable character again, instead of referring to the new guy by his new codename of "Houston" when you're yelling at him to follow you or whatever, he'll call him stuff like "rear end in a top hat" or "twat" :allears:

toasterwarrior has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Secret World has consistently and unsurprisingly knocked their Halloween events out of the park, probably because they just use it as an excuse to write a completely independent story set in a world that's already very Halloween-y. This year's new Halloween quest is about number stations, and has you follow one back to its source; the station used to be a Russian message, but recently changed to playing old American radio broadcasts.

In every zone in the game is a shortwave radio, playing a different classic radio play. And it's the full thing, too, you can sit by a radio and listen to the entirety of the Shadow People. Emphasis on 'can', you probably shouldn't. Because if you find all of them, you get rewarded with an item that lets you listen to them any time you want, including one that doesn't play on the radios: War of the Worlds.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Nov 3, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Stelio Kontos posted:

There's a button in SSB4 that makes Kirby wave at the camera and cheerily shout "Hi!!!".

That is all.

Okami has a bark button. I forget if it does anything more than frighten wildlife. But it was fun to run up to NPCs and bark at them :regd09:

Also if you froze NPCs they turned into snowmen briefly. Okami is such a cute game :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The Secret World has consistently and unsurprisingly knocked their Halloween events out of the park, probably because they just use it as an excuse to write a completely independent story set in a world that's already very Halloween-y. This year's new Halloween quest is about number stations, and has you follow one back to its source; the station used to be a Russian message, but recently changed to playing old American radio broadcasts.

In every zone in the game is a shortwave radio, playing a different classic radio play. And it's the full thing, too, you can sit by a radio and listen to the entirety of the Shadow People. Emphasis on 'can', you probably shouldn't. Because if you find all of them, you get rewarded with an item that lets you listen to them any time you want, including one that doesn't play on the radios: War of the Worlds.

Flip side TSW is run by an incompetent bunch of assholes who have yet to launch an event and have it be unbroken. This years Halloween event was delayed because it was that broken.

Not to mention how the Halloween content from 2012 is STILL broken.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Okami has a bark button. I forget if it does anything more than frighten wildlife. But it was fun to run up to NPCs and bark at them :regd09:

Also if you froze NPCs they turned into snowmen briefly. Okami is such a cute game :3:

Drawing a circle around friendly NPCs makes them give Amaterasu a hug :3:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

toasterwarrior posted:

In Payday 2, they just released an update where you break out Old Hoxton from captivity.

Now, Old Hoxton was from Payday 1 until he was arrested. He was replaced by another dude in 2, and when you break Old Hox out, he'll constantly insult the new guy for taking his mask and codename.

When you get Old Hoxton as a playable character again, instead of referring to the new guy by his new codename of "Houston" when you're yelling at him to follow you or whatever, he'll call him stuff like "rear end in a top hat" or "twat" :appears:

"Is this your little bro'er, Dallas? Maybe we should call you Houston, 'cause WE'VE GOT A FOCKIN' PROBLEM"

Origi-Hox is also the most verbally abusive towards hostages. Everybody else is content to spout variations of stay down and don't move with the shout button, but Hox makes pointed threats.

No wonder that his new skill tree lets you carry extra body bags and kill civilians for a far lesser cash penalty.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Drawing a circle around friendly NPCs makes them give Amaterasu a hug :3:

Oh man, I had forgotten about that!

You could also draw stars in the sky, and after a few seconds they'd go off shooting in some random direction. Okami was such a special game. I almost don't mind that the only remotely challenging thing in it was the Kai race.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Okami was a special two and a half games.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I've been trying out Metro 2033 Redux and I've been loving the fact that I'm able to retrieve throwing knives since they're somewhat scarce. I've been loving even more that the creators put a reflective green strip on the handles of the knives, making it simple to find them in the darkness.

Other little touches I enjoy include having to be careful if you engage enemies on the surface, due to your gas mask being somewhat fragile. The mask also has to be cleaned off if an enemy splatters you with blood, and you have to manually replace filters every so often otherwise you suffocate. Between the mask being fragile, having to wipe off blood/replace filters in combat, and gas masks being rather rare but required, you're not able to Rambo everything and need to think before you engage enemies.

Also the few bugs I've encountered are hilarious and harmless. I've had windmilling limbs on dead soldiers, Snouts skidding on the ice past me and into rivers, and Daemons that land on invisible cars and chill as I stroll by.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

QuietLion posted:

I've been trying out Metro 2033 Redux and I've been loving the fact that I'm able to retrieve throwing knives since they're somewhat scarce. I've been loving even more that the creators put a reflective green strip on the handles of the knives, making it simple to find them in the darkness.

Other little touches I enjoy include having to be careful if you engage enemies on the surface, due to your gas mask being somewhat fragile. The mask also has to be cleaned off if an enemy splatters you with blood, and you have to manually replace filters every so often otherwise you suffocate. Between the mask being fragile, having to wipe off blood/replace filters in combat, and gas masks being rather rare but required, you're not able to Rambo everything and need to think before you engage enemies.

Also the few bugs I've encountered are hilarious and harmless. I've had windmilling limbs on dead soldiers, Snouts skidding on the ice past me and into rivers, and Daemons that land on invisible cars and chill as I stroll by.

Metro 2033 (non-Redux) had throwing knives that tended to bounce off enemy equipment (since all of their armor plates and spare clips hanging off their clothes were fully modeled.) Metro: Last Light's throwing knives don't do this, and are so deadly that they make silenced weapons essentially redundant save for shooting out lights. I feel like they could have found some kind of middle ground between those two extremes, but hey, I'll enjoy being a goddamn ninja in the meantime.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
One of the things I love about Everblue 2 is how there's no music underwater. All you hear is the sound of your own breathing (which sounds different once your oxygen runs low). It really makes the atmosphere tense at time, especially when you're diving in the pitch-black deep water or trying to find the exit in one of the claustrophobic shipwrecks after getting lost. The diver's heartbeat becoming audible once his health drops in half is great too.

Well, there's no music for the most part. I'd always get nervous and think that this theme (comes up about 40 seconds in) was playing when it actually wasn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjgTZUaoN8

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm giving Postal 2 another shot since I was a wee babe and... wow, I'm glad the game is satire because it's so loving immature and stupid... and fun.

If someone throws ricochet scissors at you at the same time you throw yours and they collide, they will zip around the room somehow gaining speed until they hit flesh.
I'm not sure if it was a bug but I watched two of them rocket around at hyper-velocity until a random passerby walked in and had their head impaled.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If shovel-golfing a severed head around til it gets stuck on a cactus is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't know if its mentioned but there's one great little touch in the recent Kentucky Route Zero side-chapter. For those not in the know, KRZ is an episodic adventure game that's based around magical realism and Americana. The main plot is that an antique store delivery man, Conway, is on one last job before the family business that he works for closes. The journey takes him to the backroads of Kentucky where he's told to find the Route Zero, an enigmatic inter-dimensional highway beneath the earth. Things get stranger from there as Conway befriends some locals along the way in his quest to drop off his delivery. It is a legit fantastic game and really puts every game to shame in the storytelling department.

Anyway, the new free side chapter, Here and There Along the Echo, is all about a character calling the Echo River Visitor Center. The game then has you respond to the automated tour guide by pressing numbers on the phone to get different menu options to learn more about the Echo. The coolest thing though? The devs actually made it a real phone number that you can legit call and play the game on your phone. The number even has a Western Kentucky area code.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Another Alien Isolation thing, not only do the 2 DLCs (which are based on scenes from the original movie) use the motion tracker from the movie rather than the different model one you use in the main game, you can't use it while hiding in lockers/filing cabinets cause its way bulkier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Shin Megami Tensei IV finally came out here, and so far it's pretty good, if a little bit weirdly balanced compared to the other Megaten games (it's a little bit easier on you in combat, but compensates for it by being a lot harsher on everything else), but it's still pretty great.

A gameplay feature they introduce with one of the first major bosses is mid-fight dialog exchanges, where buffs and/or debuffs are handed out accordingly depending on the choices you made. The best part, though, is that you're introduced to this when a minotaur delivers a burn so sick that your Spirit Points (mana) go down because of just how demoralizing that insult was.

Sure, it was a bit of an arbitrary thing to lose to, but I just got served by a minotaur.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Played some Binding of Isaac: Rebirth yesterday and saw something neat. Your attacks in the game are supposed to be Isaac's tears and I got an upgrade that caused me to fire more shots at once. Which was represented on Isaac's character model as him having more than two eyes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a million little details in that game. There's an unlockable character who wears an eyepatch, and he only fires tears out of one side of his face. There's a powerup that changes the tears to pee, and it comes out of lower on his body.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I was kinda interested in trying it out with PS+ and now I don't want to anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's a little bewildering how many people here seem to be unfamiliar with the Binding of Isaac, especially since this forum's crawling with PC-gaming supremacists. It's been a Steam fixture for like three years now.

Rebirth's pretty great, though. The remixed music alone is worth the price of admission.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chinaman7000 posted:

I was kinda interested in trying it out with PS+ and now I don't want to anymore.

It has some great core gameplay and Rebirth fixes the abysmal performance and control issues of the original game, but in terms of graphics and subject matter it's still very much an Edmund "Newgrounds.com" "made a game that was literally just a dick killing a vagina monster" McMillen product. If you can stomach all the poop, pee, dead babies, and edginess it's there's a great game underneath.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It has some great core gameplay and Rebirth fixes the abysmal performance and control issues of the original game, but in terms of graphics and subject matter it's still very much an Edmund "Newgrounds.com" "made a game that was literally just a dick killing a vagina monster" McMillen product. If you can stomach all the poop, pee, dead babies, and edginess it's there's a great game underneath.

The graphics are a serious step down. Which is a shame because the original "hand drawn" style had more charm and personality to it.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

FauxGateau posted:

The graphics are a serious step down. Which is a shame because the original "hand drawn" style had more charm and personality to it.

In his defense, he actually made a poll for rebirth's look, and "GBA style graphics" got the most votes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Isn't there a toggle to un-alias all the lines? I mean, that's pretty much the sole difference between Rebirth's graphics and the base game, besides improved textures and more incidental detail.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Oxxidation posted:

Isn't there a toggle to un-alias all the lines? I mean, that's pretty much the sole difference between Rebirth's graphics and the base game, besides improved textures and more incidental detail.

There's a filter that smooths things out, yes. It still looks worse* than the original Isaac. It's still going to be far better than the original as a game though, since the original is literally unpatchable and the new one is going to be updated and bug fixed and probably added on to for years to come.

*Worse meaning it looks like something from the mid-90s. If you like that art style, fine, I'm just not necessarily a fan of it as a deliberate stylistic choice.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiberius Thyben posted:

In his defense, he actually made a poll for rebirth's look, and "GBA style graphics" got the most votes.

Oh okay. Well at the very least I can't blame him it all for it. Still though what a shame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

There's a filter that smooths things out, yes. It still looks worse* than the original Isaac. It's still going to be far better than the original as a game though, since the original is literally unpatchable and the new one is going to be updated and bug fixed and probably added on to for years to come.

*Worse meaning it looks like something from the mid-90s. If you like that art style, fine, I'm just not necessarily a fan of it as a deliberate stylistic choice.

I'm kind of scratching my head as to how the original was actually superior, besides the lack of pixels. I put over 40 hours into that thing and even when the more detailed Wrath of the Lamb models landed the graphics were never anything more than glorified napkin scribbles. Now we've got glorified napkin scribbles, but with pixels and a bit of intestine here and there. There's no difference!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I played Rebirth last night and died to Mom a good dozen times. I haven't died to that boss for so long, I forgot what it was like.

There's also a new mode that lets you try for a Mom Kill using "tokens" that you receive for completing a run. The character you play with has randomized items (two, non-space bar items) and randomized stats, which last time ended up with orbiting tears at rapid fire and the ring worm pickup making the already orbiting tears have mini orbits.

I was a bullet hell boss. Literally.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In MGS3, there's a part where you need to sneak around a maintenance hangar to plant C3 on the Shagohod's (final boss tank) fuel supply. If you kill or knock out all the engineers in the area, the Shagohod will have less health in the battle against it.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In MGS3, there's a part where you need to sneak around a maintenance hangar to plant C3 on the Shagohod's (final boss tank) fuel supply. If you kill or knock out all the engineers in the area, the Shagohod will have less health in the battle against it.

Games been out 10 years and I still find out new things.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Oxxidation posted:

I'm kind of scratching my head as to how the original was actually superior, besides the lack of pixels. I put over 40 hours into that thing and even when the more detailed Wrath of the Lamb models landed the graphics were never anything more than glorified napkin scribbles. Now we've got glorified napkin scribbles, but with pixels and a bit of intestine here and there. There's no difference!

Amusingly there seems to be a good deal of nostalgia for Newgrounds sprites and animation. I'll be happy once people can mod in the old sprites, music and sound effects so they can stop complaining about it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The old sprites were actually vector drawings in Flash that allowed them to be upscaled infinitely, as there were items that made Isaac bigger or smaller in size.

The entire game was made in flash, and bloated to a degree that it was impossible to add more content without entirely breaking most of the game. So even if somebody gets a similar art style, goo luck hand replacing every sprite including size differences with those singular flash items :v:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Holy poo poo are you serious? Fuckin' incredible! :ocelot:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

On the one hand I have to applaud him for using a theme other than dungeons and dragons, but I probably would have preferred that to poop and abortions. Still a great game.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Oxxidation posted:

The lack of pixels is what made it better; I liked the hand-drawn look more than the 16-bit cartridge look, that's all.

Tracula posted:

I'll be happy once people can mod in the old sprites, music and sound effects so they can stop complaining about it.

The new sound design is fantastic.

As I said, I think it's certainly a better game, or at least it will be once the major bugs are patched. Just the fact that we won't have to remember all the bullshit item interactions and incorrect descriptions ("tears up (JUST KIDDING it's speed down get hosed)") will be reason enough to never play the original again.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
To confirm, mom still has that place where you can stand while she flails ineffectively trying to hit you.

That's my favourite little thing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
One of the classes in Coin Crypt is called the Coinquistador. That's just goddamn adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HOW COULD YOU posted:

To confirm, mom still has that place where you can stand while she flails ineffectively trying to hit you.

That's my favourite little thing.

That spot must be tighter, because she stomps me when I stand there now. Mom fights just seem harder overall.