Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people tend to forget that people used floppies for 30 years without major problems. It was only when the quality went to poo poo in the late 90s/early 2000s that the thing about them being bad out of the box became true. I've got boxes of Amiga floppies in the loft that all still work fine.

5.25" floppies definitely suffered from quality degradation in later years. Early ones were bulletproof; almost every single one of my 25-30 year old Kodak, BASF, and Elephant 5.25s still work fine despite a decade or two of being beat to death by a 1541 and then sitting mostly unused for years. The later generation Sony disks suffered quite a few failures over the years, though, and none of the lovely last-gen Panasonic disks (which were all I could find near the end of the 5.25" era) lasted more than a couple years (hell, half of them were dead out of the box).

Edit: Most of those old floppies are full of C64 :filez: that my mom pirated from her friends when I was a kid. :v:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dennyk posted:

5.25" floppies definitely suffered from quality degradation in later years. Early ones were bulletproof; almost every single one of my 25-30 year old Kodak, BASF, and Elephant 5.25s still work fine despite a decade or two of being beat to death by a 1541 and then sitting mostly unused for years. The later generation Sony disks suffered quite a few failures over the years, though, and none of the lovely last-gen Panasonic disks (which were all I could find near the end of the 5.25" era) lasted more than a couple years (hell, half of them were dead out of the box).

I think you might be confused by the fact that early 5.25 disks were often significantly lower density and thus much more tolerant of faults.

Especially if what you were doing involved a lot of putting 1.2 MB IBM format designed floppies into your 1541 and trying to use them in its manner.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

Writing detailed documentation about al our services and having coworkers come up and ask me how to troubleshoot it.

The doco is there for a reason! ugh

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Not pissing me off at all: the desktop guys at work dug up a couple laptop docks with serial ports so we can stop using the lovely USB to serial to rollover adapters :dance:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Completed a penetration test of a client's mobile application and found:

• Total authentication bypass. You can login as any user without their password or perform manager actions as an unprivileged user.
  • You can brute force user's pins for functions that require them.
  • No password policy. "1" is totally a valid password.
  • Shared key used for encrypted SQLite databases created by the application. Anyone that can download the application from the play store can decrypt other peoples' databases.

The clients response? They accept the risk on all vulnerabilities. It's too expensive to rewrite the application to fix them. :saddowns:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
edit ^ How can a company be cognitive enough to pay for a pentest but not write in a loving password checkerer?

The Melbourne cup (Horse race) ran today. Every year we put it on for the staff to watch. This year I couldn't get a signal through our godawful AV setup. Turns out the TV signal runs through an old analog VCR, and my area has retired analog transmission.

To do list: purchase digital tuner for boardroom.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

bossy lady posted:

The clients response? They accept the risk on all vulnerabilities. It's too expensive to rewrite the application to fix them. :saddowns:

It's too expensive to fix issues like those but it's just fine to pay for a pentest.

What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

KaneTW posted:

It's too expensive to fix issues like those but it's just fine to pay for a pentest.

Could be a requirement for their ISO certification or whatever to do testing, but there's a loophole since the cert agency just assumed that reasonable loving people would act on the results of those tests.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Applications people doing their very best to dump problem on us.

This one guy actually got his poo poo pushed in over this. He's become well known for just trying to format his problems away, done by the friendly neighborhood desktop guys. Program not working correctly? Format! Server's actually not even working? Format the desktop! He got put on blast over email and told to actually look at problems and talk to users before making it our problem. If I ever took any joy in schadenfreude, this would be the time.

It would be nice if he were going to abdicate troubleshooting and foist it on us, to give an account or something so I don't have to keep bugging the user while I do my trial and error thing.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

KaneTW posted:

The client is a subsidiary of a larger / richer company. Daddy warbucks paid for the pen test.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

bossy lady posted:

They accept the risk on all vulnerabilities.

As long as you have this in writing, have a drink when they show up on Ars Technica I guess? :confuoot:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Manslaughter posted:

Apparently it starts in spring and ends in fall, which always confused me, wouldn't you want to save daylight when there is less of it?

Remove DST, remove timezones, this system is so dumb.

e: also DST kills people

Yeah I don't like waking up with the sun up for an hour and then coming home in the dark. I'd rather we move forward an hour right now and leave it there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bossy lady posted:

Completed a penetration test of a client's mobile application and found:

• Total authentication bypass. You can login as any user without their password or perform manager actions as an unprivileged user.
  • You can brute force user's pins for functions that require them.
  • No password policy. "1" is totally a valid password.
  • Shared key used for encrypted SQLite databases created by the application. Anyone that can download the application from the play store can decrypt other peoples' databases.

Who wrote it? Internally? Some fancy 'app studio'? Some foreigner from rentacoder?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
why even bother to do a pentest then? They are worse off now than before, at least before they could have claimed ignorance. Now they are willfully putting severely damaging software out there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Coredump posted:

Yeah I don't like waking up with the sun up for an hour and then coming home in the dark. I'd rather we move forward an hour right now and leave it there.

Yeah I'm pretty grumpy about this, and my kids are all sorts of confused. I work a 9-5:30 usually and live close to work so I usually roll out of bed at 8AM. The lovely part is I like to take my kids to the park in my neighborhood after work so my wife can make dinner in peace, but now it's pitch loving black at 6PM and that's not possible. Thanks DST!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

Yeah I'm pretty grumpy about this, and my kids are all sorts of confused. I work a 9-5:30 usually and live close to work so I usually roll out of bed at 8AM. The lovely part is I like to take my kids to the park in my neighborhood after work so my wife can make dinner in peace, but now it's pitch loving black at 6PM and that's not possible. Thanks DST!
You know DST just ended, right?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know poo poo about it except it's loving with my life and everyone seems to agree it's stupid.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They just shitcanned my coworker over high school-level drama that isn't even true. Our IT department is now me plus a contractor here 3 days a week. I'm pretty upset.

I guess now I'm surprised that I'm even still here after the whole desk debacle.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

skipdogg posted:

On the flip side, it's better than it being pitch black at 6AM when you're trying to drive to work with Boston drivers in the snow. Also farm hours best hours

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

They just shitcanned my coworker over high school-level drama that isn't even true. Our IT department is now me plus a contractor here 3 days a week. I'm pretty upset.

I guess now I'm surprised that I'm even still here after the whole desk debacle.

desk debacle? Did I miss something?

mewse
May 2, 2006

nitrogen posted:

desk debacle? Did I miss something?

The standing desk thing where nobody would give them a straight answer

e: this

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sirotan posted:

You know what to do.

:yotj:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

rolleyes posted:

Combined with cheap-rear end beige box cases, I swear to god that was worse than sticking your hand in a bucket of razor wire.

I remember the first computer I ever built, it was for my dad. It was all parts sourced from the old phone-book thickness Computer Shopper. My hands and arms looked like I'd fought a wild badger. I got viciously ill for a week afterward, too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Today I discovered that Trumpet Winsock is still a thing.

You can, as of V5.0, use it to add IPv6 support to your box running Windows 95, 98 or NT4.

It's shareware so you're supposed to pay for it, like anyone ever paid for it in the 90s!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lum posted:

Today I discovered that Trumpet Winsock is still a thing.

You can, as of V5.0, use it to add IPv6 support to your box running Windows 95, 98 or NT4.

It's shareware so you're supposed to pay for it, like anyone ever paid for it in the 90s!

Did anyone pay for shareware? Ever?

I'm sure that if you had a computer used at the Vatican in the late 90's, there would be a winzip crack on the desktop.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

Did anyone pay for shareware? Ever?

I'm sure that if you had a computer used at the Vatican in the late 90's, there would be a winzip crack on the desktop.

Have you seen the price and feature bloat in the latest version of WinZip. It's £35/$50 per user!

poo poo that pisses me off. Some of my government customers deploy that poo poo on every desktop, no idea how much that costs because it's the obligatory Enterprise Edition with :yayclod: support.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 4, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

It pisses me off even more when 3rd parties use winzip to zip up data they send to us on hard drives in such a way that I can't unzip it without winzip. Guys...use anything but winzip, please! :negative:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AlternateAccount posted:

I remember the first computer I ever built, it was for my dad. It was all parts sourced from the old phone-book thickness Computer Shopper. My hands and arms looked like I'd fought a wild badger. I got viciously ill for a week afterward, too.

I still have a scar on my hand from my first 386DX (not SuX lol) case. It's like those german guys who would get dueling scars and rub charcoal, pine sap, whatever into them to make them stick. Except in this case it was probably powdered aluminum, cooked off capacitor components, and probably brake fluid or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Erwin posted:

It pisses me off even more when 3rd parties use winzip to zip up data they send to us on hard drives in such a way that I can't unzip it without winzip. Guys...use anything but winzip, please! :negative:

IMO if it's not a *nix app (in which case use GZipped Tarballs) or a Mac app (in which case use DMG) I say anything other than a plain zip file is probably the wrong choice for distribution. Every OS that matters has basic zip support built in to the base install.

Sure, RAR, 7zip, BZ2, and the like have their advantages in certain situations but it's really hard for that to outweigh the annoyance of having to download and install some random third party tool because whoever made the archive likes a special snowflake format.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I did. I was the guy who paid for WinZip. I also paid for a dice-rolling app. This was back when we still said the whole word: "application".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I did. I was the guy who paid for WinZip. I also paid for a dice-rolling app. This was back when we still said the whole word: "application".

I never paid for Winzip, but I did end up paying for WinRar and mIRC.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can make WinRAR stop complaining by just deleting the resource key for the nag dialog that pops up on program start. :v:

On the bright side, there's plenty of utterly pointless "apps" now, they're just in the actual device app stores now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just use 7zip though. No one ever has reason to create a RAR, but 7zip can read them and every other compression pretty much and it's 100% free.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I learned a very valuable lesson today to never tell "that guy" about GNS3. No, I won't give you IOS copies from our TFTP server. No, I won't help you set it up beyond telling you it's easy to Google for. No, you can't use my special-flower Linux box for IOU. Jesus loving christ, it was every 5 minutes. I don't have high hopes for him and his CCNA.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Erwin posted:

I thought a zip file was a zip file. What is winzip doing differently now?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stealthgerbil posted:

I thought a zip file was a zip file. What is winzip doing differently now?

If you encrypt with current winzip you get a zip2 file or something that is completely proprietary

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I've never encountered a non password protected archive that can't be opened by any number of programs. 7zip my particular app of choice.

Remember the days of having winrar and winace on your computer? Ahh, winrar and winace, I miss you guys. Also I miss trillian.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I paid for Trillian :tea:

That was back when I was still mainly using ICQ but some people had started using MSN Messenger. Bugger running two clients!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I've never encountered a non password protected archive that can't be opened by any number of programs. 7zip my particular app of choice.

Remember the days of having winrar and winace on your computer? Ahh, winrar and winace, I miss you guys. Also I miss trillian.

I still use winrar when I am in windows. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

I still use winrar when I am in windows. :colbert:

There is zero reason to use it over 7zip