Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
So I spent $2 and got this:

Now that I'm home and the 'holy poo poo I got the best deal' is wearing off, I'm not sure what to do with all these.

I obviously must make hot sauce, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can use this amount for in a short time without making something ungodly hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Stuff with cheese, batter, deep fry.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eleeleth posted:

Now that I'm home and the 'holy poo poo I got the best deal' is wearing off, I'm not sure what to do with all these.

I obviously must make hot sauce, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can use this amount for in a short time without making something ungodly hot.
Dry some, pickle some, use them as you need them. Make some pepper jelly and can it. You say hot sauce. That could be salsa, purée, sambal. Make whichever ones of those you don't normally think of as hot sauce. Ice cream.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Eleeleth posted:

Give them to me

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I eat a salad for lunch everyday at work. Is there any functional difference between eating a salad vs blending said salad into a smoothie and drinking it? Cause I work through my lunch and if I can just drink my lunch that would be amazing and save me approximately a few minutes every day.

It is different. Basically then work being done by the blender motor isn't being done by your gut. The sugars hit your bloodstream much quicker. Still better for you than most one hand food (like a hot pocket), but eat with a fork if you can.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Geburan posted:

It is different. Basically then work being done by the blender motor isn't being done by your gut. The sugars hit your bloodstream much quicker. Still better for you than most one hand food (like a hot pocket), but eat with a fork if you can.
Happen to have data to support this?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

goodness posted:

Are you thinking the blind taste test literally means they are blinded? That would be hard to eat without being able to see the plate. Usually when they say that it means the judges don't know whose dish is whose.

They are not going to be blind folded but the desert will be a small serving for tasting, so presentation is not important, just some great flavors.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geburan posted:

This makes no sense. Chewing is pretty much only for appetite reduction, in that food you have already eaten has more time to register in your stomach before you shove more food on top of it. Blending is like super chewing, so it breaks down food even better for digestion.

The calorie delta for chewing vs not chewing is so statistically irrelevant as to not be an issue...for anyone.

He may get hungrier faster if he drinks a blended meal, but he won't crash like you seem to suggest due to sugar processing. Plus, if he adds some nuts to the green smoothie it'll slow down that sugar rush that doesn't matter. To curb hunger he coud always pop a sugar-less gum to chew on for a bit, or bring an apple or carrot or somesuch to eat.

It's a fine idea, the biggest problem is that if he blends something to take to work, it'll settle grossly before he manages to drink it. it's also a really good way to force yourself to hydrate.

I guess another bad thing about blending foods is that if you don't portion what you will blend you can really overload/unbalance your calories/nutrition, as you can easily drink 12 oranges at a time, but be hard pressed to eat more than three or four.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 5, 2014

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

SubG posted:

Happen to have data to support this?

Dr Maureen Mays (sp?), a leading pediatric cardiologist in Oregon, as well as Micheal Pollen and some other folks. I'm not exactly passionate about this stuff, but I gather it is along the same lines as why juice is now considered as bad for kids as soda. The sugar hits the blood stream all at once instead of a slow release, which the body can't cope with as well. Again, still far better than alternatives, but eating solids is considered by many to be better for you than drinking your nutrition. :shrug:

Edit: loving phone posting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Geburan posted:

Dr Maureen Mays (sp?), a leading pediatric cardiologist in Oregon, as well as Micheal Pollen and some other folks. I'm not exactly passionate about this stuff, but I gather it is along the same lines as why juice is now considered as bad for kids as soda. The sugar hits the blood stream all at once instead of a slow release, which the body can't cope with as well. Again, still far better than alternatives, but eating solids is considered by many to be better for you than drinking your nutrition. :shrug:

Edit: loving phone posting.

Squeezing the juice out of something is not the same as putting the whole thing through a blender. The soluble and insoluble fiber is still there in something you blend up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are there any special tricks to making basic shortbread cookies or is it literally just creaming butter and sugar together, folding in flour and then they're done?

If that's the case, are there any nice additions beyond your vanilla extracts, like chai tea or toasted pecans or something?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I just bought a medium sized toaster oven and ready to get cooking. But there's a wire that comes out in the back in addition to the electrical plug. What's that thing for?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Squeezing the juice out of something is not the same as putting the whole thing through a blender. The soluble and insoluble fiber is still there in something you blend up.
And a glass of orange juice (or a whole blended orange) isn't the same thing as a bunch of blended greens.

As for the authorities, Micheal Pollen is an advocate/activist and as far as I know has done no original research. He writes opinion pieces, not science. Or even medicine. I have no idea who Maureen Mays is. Searching on both google and PubMed turned up no publications. And I'm not sure why a pediatric cardiologist, leading or otherwise, would be a go-to authority on nutrition or food science.

I'm willing to be convinced here. I'm just not seeing it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ keep up the good work, I'd like a conclusive answer on this one too.

Drifter posted:

Are there any special tricks to making basic shortbread cookies or is it literally just creaming butter and sugar together, folding in flour and then they're done?

With any cookie based on butter and sugar, creaming the ever living gently caress out of it in your stand mixer is the important part. I mean, don't let it melt, but the more fluff you can add, the better.

Drifter posted:

If that's the case, are there any nice additions beyond your vanilla extracts, like chai tea or toasted pecans or something?

Chai no, pecans yes. If I'm going to adulterate something like shortbread, I'll do it be adding a textural element, like a nice crunchy nut. A few pistachios might be nice, too.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Drifter posted:

I have had some with savory additions like sage or rosemary and really enjoyed it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I just bought a medium sized toaster oven and ready to get cooking. But there's a wire that comes out in the back in addition to the electrical plug. What's that thing for?

What color is the wire? Is it just a single wire, or a few together? Thickness?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KettleWL posted:

I dont know poo poo overall so ignore me if people with real knowledge jump in but in my experiences:

If the marinade is very acidic (or maybe salty as well?) you'll get some very very tender meat, that will be hard to handle and might fall apart on a hot grill. If it's a particularly strong flavor that you'd rather not have overpowering the taste of the chicken it's self, or other components of the dish, you'll have an issue with that too. Otherwise there's no issues and it'll be fine. I had some chicken recently I ended up marinating for about 56 hours that I had planned on grilling, ended up having to stir fry it because the thin pieces weren't going to work on the grill, but it was still delicious.

This is about right, but there are a few other things to keep in mind if you use, say, pineapple juice in a marinade (in which case you would have chicken sludge after a day or so).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rythe posted:

My Squadrons Christmas party is coming up and I need to start working on a holiday baked good idea for the parties dessert competition. The last few years the commander had been the sole judge, this year we are doing a blind taste test for a panel of 5, so presentation is not going to be a factor this time. I was
thinking of a egg nog bread pudding, making the nog and bread too, but what other ideas are out there for a traditional Christmas dessert that is loaded with flavor for the blind taste test? I love a good fruit cake but I am not sure how will that will go over.

There is also a $300 prize for the competition and I'm tired of coming in second.

Bread Pudding is one of my favorites, and if you like the nog, go for it. If you have the time and the skills, I'd say a pecan Kringle would probably be another traditional, and well liked option.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I've got a whole tray of leftover carnitas. Does anyone have leftover recipe ideas? Will the carnitas freeze well?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nachos

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have done carnitas nachos with Tostitos Scoops, placing a bit of meat into each scoop, then topping with a shitload of cheese and baking. Holy gently caress they were good and disappeared in like five minutes at the party I brought them to.

Ron Jeremy, do that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think I put the kimchi I made somewhere too cold for it to ferment for the last 3 days, I assume it'll be fine with me moving it somewhere warmer now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there any sort of issue with having a sourdough and mushroom log at the same time? Like, are the fungi going to interfere with each other in any way?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's fine. Different fungi feed on different things.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I had no idea mushroom logs were a thing.

Also I just bought a $400 blender I said I wouldn't buy. :eng99:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My condolences on all the fun you're going to have.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I just bought a $400 blender I said I wouldn't buy. :eng99:

At that level it's not so much a purchase as an investment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jose posted:

I think I put the kimchi I made somewhere too cold for it to ferment for the last 3 days, I assume it'll be fine with me moving it somewhere warmer now?
Probably. The danger would be if you had some psychorophillic bacteria in there that managed to get a toehold while the temperature was too low for the lactobacilli to take off. Beneficial fermentation is basically a race between lactobacilli and all the competing spoilage bacteria (and other microorganisms). Under ideal fermentation conditions lactobacilli will outcompete the gently caress out of most spoilage bacteria (greatly assisted by its prevalence in the general environment, and particularly in plants like brassicas). In theory changing the environment could change those population dynamics and you could end up with a tub of sludge instead of kimchi.

But that's the kind of thing your nose and eyes will tell you about pretty unambiguously, so I would just try it and see how it goes.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but is there a snack exchange thread on GWS anymore?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
So here's an example of the kind of thing I like to make. Macaroni and cheese with veggie rotini and veggie twisted elbows and mornay sauce, with bacon, broccoli sauteed in the bacon grease, tofu fried in the bacon grease, and fried beef chunks seasoned with ancho chile powder and various other things. All that is mixed in, and then it goes in the oven for 25 minutes with fresh mozzarella morsels on top. Toss some sriracha on there before eating. I loving love it, but it's super dense and not super healthy, and it doesn't have that "wow" factor you get when something is more thematically consistent, like in a fancy restaurant. I basically made up the recipe as I cooked it, based on what was in the fridge, how hungry I was, etc. Like a leftover casserole with lots of cheese.

I can follow a recipe, but when I make one up, it tends to be relatively conservative comfort food type stuff. I use the same six or eight spices over and over. I want to take my cooking to the next level, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on taking classes. Is there a cookbook that I can sort of "work through" as it were, like with the recipes functioning as lessons? How do I get off this plateau? I don't want to be a chef or work in a restaurant; this is just for me and my friends.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ejstheman posted:

So here's an example of the kind of thing I like to make. Macaroni and cheese with veggie rotini and veggie twisted elbows and mornay sauce, with bacon, broccoli sauteed in the bacon grease, tofu fried in the bacon grease, and fried beef chunks seasoned with ancho chile powder and various other things. All that is mixed in, and then it goes in the oven for 25 minutes with fresh mozzarella morsels on top. Toss some sriracha on there before eating. I loving love it, but it's super dense and not super healthy, and it doesn't have that "wow" factor you get when something is more thematically consistent, like in a fancy restaurant. I basically made up the recipe as I cooked it, based on what was in the fridge, how hungry I was, etc. Like a leftover casserole with lots of cheese.

I can follow a recipe, but when I make one up, it tends to be relatively conservative comfort food type stuff. I use the same six or eight spices over and over. I want to take my cooking to the next level, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on taking classes. Is there a cookbook that I can sort of "work through" as it were, like with the recipes functioning as lessons? How do I get off this plateau? I don't want to be a chef or work in a restaurant; this is just for me and my friends.

Ratio is good for picking up the fundamentals.
Ad Hoc at Home is good for "oh hey I want to make the best ____ ever, where's a good over the top recipe for that?"
Flavor Bible is good for figuring out flavour pairings.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ejstheman posted:

This cookbook is nice for branching out your spice patterns a bit. Leafing through various ethnic cookbooks also helps in terms of picking up different ways of combining spices and other key ingredients (like garlic and onions and whatever). So for instance Jerusalem is a good cookbook for learning some basic Israeli/Middle Eastern flavors that you can use as a pattern for a dish.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking of.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I have a bunch of caramelized onions and mushrooms left over from burgin'. What do?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kinmik posted:

I have a bunch of caramelized onions and mushrooms left over from burgin'. What do?

Toss them with some pasta and a little olive oil and maybe cheese.

Make liver, or steak if you're afraid of organs.

Put them in a nice salad.

Eat them with a spoon.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
So I'm 30 years old and for the first time in my life finding something I enjoy that isn't getting wasted or playing video games, cooking. Good for me right? I'm thinking it might make a satisfying career, except I have no sense of smell. You guys think any schools would take me? Any jobs hire me? Should i just resign myself to a pursuit in the lackluster career of IT? This is vexing me pretty hard right now to be honest so some serious advice would be appreciated.

I was looking for a career thread in here but couldn't find one. Is there somewhere else I should post this?

memento mori fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 7, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have been on a salsa kick lately. Love the stuff so much but we just ran out of the canned stuff we got from the gf's mom this summer.

So far I have just been throwing various amounts of tomatoes, onions, peppers, lime, cilantro together. This works great but does anyone have some killer salsa recipes?

p.s. I love spicy food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

memento mori posted:

I was looking for a career thread in here but couldn't find one. Is there somewhere else I should post this?

There's a restaurant industry thread, which covers careers.

I'm almost certain they'll tell you to stay away from cooking because 1 your sense of smell but also 2 it will probably not pay as well 3 will be more stressful on your body 4 will be more stressful, period. The ongoing joke there is that succeeding in the restaurant business is usually getting out of it.

I have a weak sense of taste/smell and I'm constantly having to ask people to taste things for me to double check. I make a fool of myself once in a while because I can't identify a flavor or identify a missing flavor. I get by in cooking as a hobby because I follow recipes pretty well and I think I'm pretty good on the technical aspects, but because of my weak sense of taste I don't feel as much freedom to experiment and create new ingredient combinations as other people do. I think the people who eat my food appreciate its flavors more than I do. I couldn't imagine relying on my palate for a living.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 7, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, don't go to Culinary School. That's the other big advice from the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

There's a restaurant industry thread, which covers careers.

I'm almost certain they'll tell you to stay away from cooking because 1 your sense of smell but also 2 it will probably not pay as well 3 will be more stressful on your body 4 will be more stressful, period. The ongoing joke there is that succeeding in the restaurant business is usually getting out of it.

I have a weak sense of taste/smell and I'm constantly having to ask people to taste things for me to double check. I make a fool of myself once in a while because I can't identify a flavor or identify a missing flavor. I get by in cooking as a hobby because I follow recipes pretty well and I think I'm pretty good on the technical aspects, but because of my weak sense of taste I don't feel as much freedom to experiment and create new ingredient combinations as other people do. I think the people who eat my food appreciate its flavors more than I do. I couldn't imagine relying on my palate for a living.

I have a friend with severely impaired sense of taste (apparently the last remnants of a brain injury following a car crash, can that be true?) who thinks he's got the world's best intuition as far as food goes.

He might. Except because of his lovely tastebuds he can't really test if his imaginary dish holds up. And if he dreams up something that has a touch of cinnamon, well, to him it might be a touch but to the rest of us it's like being choked to death in a sack of the stuff. He's not allowed to cook for others any more - at least not without supervision a helping hand with the spices in the kitchen.

Oddly enough he makes really awesome fruit wines.