Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and Anders now has short hair and is dressing like a late 90's skater so I'm not sure if the band is having a midlife crisis or what but all I know is is it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When they had a guest spot on Liquid Metal talking about the new album Anders was so far up his own rear end on how great things were and talking about beauty and how harsh things were too. It made me so mad.

And im starting to see why everyone hates this station: it's pretty much the deathcore station with some pity plays of stuff during their Beyond the Pit (all death, thrash, black for a hour) and their retrospectives with Beyond the Pit w/ Ian Christie who plays stuff all over the place. I loving hate Jose Mangin, "SUP BROTHER METAL DUDE".

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Vintersorg posted:

When they had a guest spot on Liquid Metal talking about the new album Anders was so far up his own rear end on how great things were and talking about beauty and how harsh things were too. It made me so mad.

And im starting to see why everyone hates this station: it's pretty much the deathcore station with some pity plays of stuff during their Beyond the Pit (all death, thrash, black for a hour) and their retrospectives with Beyond the Pit w/ Ian Christie who plays stuff all over the place. I loving hate Jose Mangin, "SUP BROTHER METAL DUDE".

Jose Mangin is the worst. And it won't get any better. I think he's the Director of Programming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw In Flames at Gigantour in 2008 and they managed to be the worst band on a bill featuring Job For a Cowboy.
In retrospect, JFaC is not as bad as their rep. They're just super boring. Not even that many pig squeals.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I saw In Flames with KSE in 2005 or so and it was a good time, they actually played some Jester Race and Lunar Strain poo poo which I was surprised about

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I saw In Flames at Gigantour in 2008 and they managed to be the worst band on a bill featuring Job For a Cowboy.
In retrospect, JFaC is not as bad as their rep. They're just super boring. Not even that many pig squeals.

I wrote off Job for a Cowboy nearly a decade ago, but this song was posted back in September and it rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDo-VEam_JA
They've definitely been listening to a lot of Beyond Creation and other melodic/technical death metal.
Haven't heard anything else from the new album yet, but unless that track is a fluke, it should be pretty solid.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Voivod is so out of place on that tour :psyduck:

Also it's sort of funny when a deathcore band trend-jumps to being generic tech death and people start taking them seriously even though they're still making incredibly uncreative and redundant music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, Voivod and Black Crown Initiate I can see, knowing that they play tech death (though I haven't actually listened to them). But Ringworm, Iron Reagan, Exhumed and then Voivod sandwiched between them and Napalm Death is loving out there.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vintersorg posted:

This guy looks like the dude from Savage Garden going through a goth phase.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Reminds me a lot of the tour we got back in 2012. Except we're getting Tony & Phil's other band and the REAL Voivod this time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kumbamontu posted:

I saw In Flames with KSE in 2005 or so and it was a good time, they actually played some Jester Race and Lunar Strain poo poo which I was surprised about
I saw them on the Clayman tour with Iced Earth and they sucked live even then. Good energy, dog poo poo mix. Nice fans, though.

Their 1999 Live in Gothenburg bootleg is probably live In Flames at their best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H102qwXQAeQ

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Reminds me a lot of the tour we got back in 2012. Except we're getting Tony & Phil's other band and the REAL Voivod this time.

goddamn that was 2 years ago :smith:

wish i saw speedwolf but instead got dayglo abortions

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'M SEEING CARCASS IN A COUPLE HOURS AND I'M SO GOD DAMNED EXCITED HOLY poo poo

I've been waiting for today for like 3 months now.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
So I came across a record today and decided to pick it up because I liked the cover and saw it was produced by Dave Mustaine. Pretty loving metal so far, just got to side 2

Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

http://youtu.be/B14ME8KSHbo

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Darf posted:

So I came across a record today and decided to pick it up because I liked the cover and saw it was produced by Dave Mustaine. Pretty loving metal so far, just got to side 2

Dude Sanctuary loving rules. Go listen to their newest released this year, The Year the sun Died.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Shoehead posted:

Whaaat did In Flames get bad? I haven't heard anything recent from them.

Please film yourself listening to Siren Charms

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Darf posted:

Into the Mirror Black is good poo poo. Check out Crimson Glory and Agent Steel for sure if you like Sanctuary's earlier stuff.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Stoat posted:

Please film yourself listening to Siren Charms

I would put Siren Charms above A Sense of Purpose but that's not saying much

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So umm, my mind is still blown by the new Ne Obliviscaris and I don't care if it's short.

Holy poo poo dude.

Already pre-ordered the vinyl, can't wait for it to ship.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...

Gamma Nerd posted:

Into the Mirror Black is good poo poo. Check out Crimson Glory and Agent Steel for sure if you like Sanctuary's earlier stuff.

Been a fan of both those bands for a while. No idea how I missed Sanctuary!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Darf posted:

Been a fan of both those bands for a while. No idea how I missed Sanctuary!

Well then there's always Nevermore....

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the new job for a cowboy album is surprisingly good, hard to believe this is the same band that released doom all those years ago

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

the new job for a cowboy album is surprisingly good, hard to believe this is the same band that released doom all those years ago

Doom was their only pure deathcore album. It was an abomination that helped to popularize the genre, but to be fair, everything else they put out after that has been pretty boring pseudo-tech death.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I don't know if I should ask this in the recomendation thread or this one, but can you guys/gals give me some good female-fronted metal bands to listen to? I'm looking for more modern bands, since this site covers a lot of older stuff (and is more slanted towards heavy metal). Black, Thrash, whatevs, I'm game.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
First thing that comes to mind is Darkestrah.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

Vintersorg posted:

Jose Mangin makes me irrationally angry because sometimes I'll tune in and they will play some legitimately fun/good stuff back to back. Little Scar Symmetry, some Amon Amarth, bit of Mastodon, new Carcass... and then it fades out and you hear him doing that stupid roar and going "OH YEAH METAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS ARE YOU READY TO GET YOUR SKULL BLOWN OUT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD BY SOME MOTHERFUCKING SLIPKNOT? YEAHHHH!"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Last night taught me that Carcass is nearly as old as I am and rocks way more than I ever will.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

COOL CORN posted:

Last night taught me that Carcass is nearly as old as I am and rocks way more than I ever will.

That's awesome. Planning on going to see them on Friday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vincent posted:

I don't know if I should ask this in the recomendation thread or this one, but can you guys/gals give me some good female-fronted metal bands to listen to? I'm looking for more modern bands, since this site covers a lot of older stuff (and is more slanted towards heavy metal). Black, Thrash, whatevs, I'm game.

Adorior
gently caress the Facts
Battle of Mice
Christian Mistress
Witch Mountain
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Holy Moses
Jex Thoth
Kylesa
Ludicra
Oathbreaker (might be leaning toward hardcore)
Unexpect (1/3 of their vocals anyway)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Mythic, Demonic Christ, Derkéta, Nuclear Death, Acrostichon are all female fronted as well. Nocturnal have had a female singer for a while too. There is, to be quite honest, almost a trend towards female vocalists in certain aspects of doom.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cretin is fronted by a transwoman but their new album isn't out yet.

I did find one track they put up on youtube though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIBUoYZ52pk

Some filthy, filthy poo poo. :black101:

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 5, 2014

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

COOL CORN posted:

Yes indeed. That was a hell of a lineup and Lincoln Theatre's sound was as good as ever.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vincent posted:

Howling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQzKClLW8Y

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Vincent posted:

Diablo Swing Orchestra (Avant garde metal)
Arkona (Russian folk metal)
Crucified Barbara (traditional hard rock / heavy metal)
Arch Enemy (melodic death metal)
Avatarium (Doom Metal, with former candlemass)
Alunah (Doom metal)
Blues Pills (Stoner)
Zodiac (Stoner)

---

Also, on a personal note. I'm part of MetalBlast.net; we are a completely fan-run website and we're looking for more writers or other people who might want to help us increase our size.
Although it's unpaid (for every single one of us) there are some perks; since we work with the most important labels, so you'd have access to promos well before they're out, and can attend concerts and festivals for free and conduct interviews with bands. You'd be free to talk poo poo about any album you review, and nothing would be modified to please a label, artist, or anything.
If anybody wants to participate, let me know here or over PM, and we see if it's possible to make it work.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Arkona are my jam and if you like folky stuff you should definitely check out the album Goi, Rode, Goi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXlUxDGFvU

I just caught up on ten pages or something and I'm convinced that VarDovoli is actually an alt account made by one of you. Maybe I've just been separated from the bad parts of the internet for too long and I've forgotten how bad people are, though.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Merlin (death metal), Abnormality (brutal death) and Dreaming dead (melodic death) are some other female fronted bands.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Otep
Stolen Babies
Butcher Babies
:smuggo:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Golem II posted:

Otep
Stolen Babies
Butcher Babies

No, gently caress butcher babies. They're terrible.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Golem II posted:

Otep
Stolen Babies
Butcher Babies

Screw these babies bands and listen to Made Out of Babies. They are the superior babies band. Also Julie Christmas really needs to make more music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Julie Christmas is the only metal musician who has ever legitimately creeped me out.