Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Neruz posted:

I haven't seen the cargo getting stuck and scraping on things but the slowdown during turns is just physics in action and is why a lot of people use faster belts on corners (a blue corner on a red straight for example), once you've gotten to the point at which you have all blue belts you're supposed to be transitioning to logistics bots which are the next upgrade from blue belts.

I think some mods introduce even faster belts than blue belts but that seems excessive to me.

I had it happen with a blue belt that turned around a electric furnace. The iron plates passing near the furnace scraped against it and slowed down. I moved the whole section of the belt one step away from the furnace and the problem stopped.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh I have never seen that happen at all with any of my electric furnace setups. Odd, I didn't think items on belts had any collision into adjacent squares.

Maybe electric furnaces have particularly sharp corners; I usually have my furnace\ore lines extend a bit past where the furnaces actually are so I can expand them later and I tend to switch over to drones as quickly as possible so maybe I just never set the circumstances up right.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

When creating a new map. What does the "Enemies never attack first" option do? because the moment the aliens smelled pollution they attacked instantly.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

As you said, if pollution reaches enemy bases, they will periodically group up and leave to attack the source of the pollution. If your turn that option on, enemies will just sit in their base until you get close enough.

I would generally not suggest using it. The game is easy enough as it is. It is easy enough to wipe out bases before your pollution reaches them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

As you said, if pollution reaches enemy bases, they will periodically group up and leave to attack the source of the pollution. If your turn that option on, enemies will just sit in their base until you get close enough.

I would generally not suggest using it. The game is easy enough as it is. It is easy enough to wipe out bases before your pollution reaches them.

I like to play around and build stuff before the game turns into tower defence mode.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The only problem is that the enemies will keep leveling up, even if they're not hostile. You could reach a point where you're weapons aren't powerful enough to take on the biter nests, but you can't get any alien whatevers to research new tech because you can't down down the biters.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I suggest being proactive, and taking the war to the biters. Wipe out nearby bases before your pollution cloud reaches them. Then you can get by with minimal defenses. The first green beaker technology I research is always the one that unlocks piercing ammo. I'll usually make the beakers by hand. An SMG with piercing ammo is good enough for most bases at the start.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Lategame has something of a problem now... Big Spitters can nearly always survive long enough to get a shot off on a turret. Even if it's only one spit per wave, that turret will eventually die if unrepaired.

At your home base, sure, you have 900 bees that will happily keep up with repairs, but it means that every single remote base needs a bees nest and repair packs, which bumps their build/maintenance cost up dramatically (most notably in playertime spent-- the most valuable resource of all)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

The only problem is that the enemies will keep leveling up, even if they're not hostile. You could reach a point where you're weapons aren't powerful enough to take on the biter nests, but you can't get any alien whatevers to research new tech because you can't down down the biters.

On my first playthrough I went about 80 hours before I started hunting for alien material thingys. I pushed towards the nests with rows of laser turrets which was frustrating but it worked.

Evilreaver posted:

Lategame has something of a problem now... Big Spitters can nearly always survive long enough to get a shot off on a turret. Even if it's only one spit per wave, that turret will eventually die if unrepaired.

At your home base, sure, you have 900 bees that will happily keep up with repairs, but it means that every single remote base needs a bees nest and repair packs, which bumps their build/maintenance cost up dramatically (most notably in playertime spent-- the most valuable resource of all)

This is a big problem for me. Every single train station, mine and oil field needs to be surrounded by laser towers and a drone hive and a chest with replacement walls and replacement laser turrets.

Often the train tracks will require little outposts as well because the aliens play pacman through my tracks if they see any.

In my opinion they should ignore train tracks. They cause no pollution and do are not any form of defensive structure that gets in the way.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Zephyrine posted:

This is a big problem for me. Every single train station, mine and oil field needs to be surrounded by laser towers and a drone hive and a chest with replacement walls and replacement laser turrets.

The trick to dealing with this is radars. Biters hate radars and will attempt to kill them first before anything else, so have spaced-out outposts with one radar in them to attract biters and heavily reinforce those. That will safe you from having to wall off an entire railroad track or whatever, you'll just need a couple pillboxes along its length.

You will still want to put walls around power poles to stop the odd little biter who runs off by himself, but if you're doing this you shouldn't need much more than that.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How do I unequip everything so I can click on machines ?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

President Ark posted:

The trick to dealing with this is radars. Biters hate radars and will attempt to kill them first before anything else, so have spaced-out outposts with one radar in them to attract biters and heavily reinforce those. That will safe you from having to wall off an entire railroad track or whatever, you'll just need a couple pillboxes along its length.

You will still want to put walls around power poles to stop the odd little biter who runs off by himself, but if you're doing this you shouldn't need much more than that.

Good tip. Though I still feel that I shouldn't have to do it that way.

Trains are nifty though I have a feeling that in practise I could probably be better served by just placing conveyor belts all the way. The time saved on building and moving them around probabaly save me more time and effort in the end

That said. Trains are still really nifty. Once you finally get the system working

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 5, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just lay out a massive web of roboports, such that my entire constructed area is within the same network (I usually have well over 100) with thousands of repair and logistics bots. Eventually the game slogs down to be just awful, but it's fun while it lasts.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sylink posted:

How do I unequip everything so I can click on machines ?

If you mean put back what you're holding, Q.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
There should be something in the non existent campaign to say why biters hate radars so much.

"Something something frequency interrupts primitive bug brain. Scientists working on weaponizing this process. Would you like to know more?"

Sonic weapons, or even just a wave emitter whose sole purpose is to be a bait device, would be nifty.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bremen posted:

If you mean put back what you're holding, Q.

Yes, thank you! gently caress that was frustrating.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with biter nests at their highest level? In the past I used a roboport to build lines of turrets but that is tedious and unfun. The tank is useless at this point because even with armor piercing bullets the gun does almost no damage and the tank shots are too unreliable. What do you guys do to deal with biter nests?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with biter nests at their highest level? In the past I used a roboport to build lines of turrets but that is tedious and unfun. The tank is useless at this point because even with armor piercing bullets the gun does almost no damage and the tank shots are too unreliable. What do you guys do to deal with biter nests?

Power armor with shields, Distractor and Destroyer capsules. Distractor capsules are great if you throw them in the middle of the biter nest, it'll slowly destroy the bases with their weak lasers. Destroyer capsules work just like defender caps, but with more powerful laser weapons. Poison capsules are good for thinning out large groups of worms, just throw one in and back off for a bit, repeat a few times for large worms.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you can get 14 or 19 destroyers following your tank, just :black101: in one side and out the other. Note: The tank is unlikely to survive this unless you cut corners off the base.

Cut corners if you want to survive, go diametrically if you want to live.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a list anywhere that shows all of the products that each component is used to build?

I'm rebuilding my base with a bus system and I know that some components are used so often that they really need their own lane but others are only used to create one or two things (like copper cable) and don't need their own lanes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Spaseman posted:

Is there a list anywhere that shows all of the products that each component is used to build?

I'm rebuilding my base with a bus system and I know that some components are used so often that they really need their own lane but others are only used to create one or two things (like copper cable) and don't need their own lanes.

Stuff that can't be manufactured by assemblers is pretty much what you'd need to go with - that way you can have a smelting area separate from your main manufacturing lines that feeds in 'basic' materials. Steel, iron, copper are the basics, but because there's enough usage of them to justify a constant flow green circuits and in late-game red circuits may also be worthwhile.

I did something similar a while ago:

Breetai posted:

I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
This game is what I envisioned when I played Minecraft feed the beast.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Torpor posted:

This game is what I envisioned when I played Minecraft feed the beast.

Me too! Minus having to tab out to a wiki page to re-read one of the hundreds of recipes.

And the machines still run even if you walk 100 paces away from them.

Spaseman posted:

Hah! Later on you'll be using more copper cable than copper plates and iron put together.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I'm doing a second playthrough now but hunting aliens is so booooring.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zephyrine posted:

Hah! Later on you'll be using more copper cable than copper plates and iron put together.

My peak factory used more Copper Cable than every other component combined, topping out at 9200 cable used per minute. (That said, most of the time don't bus cables as plates are more 'space efficient' on the belt, just have wire mills where needed - except in the AdvChip labs, since one wire mill can feed ~9 AdvChip mills)

Zephyrine posted:

I'm doing a second playthrough now but hunting aliens is so booooring.

Did you know the tank can straight-up run over spawners and Big Worms? :killdozer:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

Did you know the tank can straight-up run over spawners and Big Worms? :killdozer:

I can't even build that. Is that in some experimental build of the game?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Halloween update (indeed experimental) added tanks and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Main menu -> Options -> Other -> Enable Experimental Updates

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

The Halloween update (indeed experimental) added tanks and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Main menu -> Options -> Other -> Enable Experimental Updates

Alright lets fire this thing up then because pushing against alien nests with laser turrets is killing my fun.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

"Small electric pole can be used as fuel."

Hah best feature ever. I have so many of those laying around.

How do the rest of you get rid of junk in this game?

I wish I had some sort of machine to recycle things in to return parts of the raw materials.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Zephyrine posted:

"Small electric pole can be used as fuel."

Hah best feature ever. I have so many of those laying around.

How do the rest of you get rid of junk in this game?

I wish I had some sort of machine to recycle things in to return parts of the raw materials.

sadly the only way right now to get rid of your burner inserters and burner miners is put it in a lovely chest, mouse over it and hit C to just shoot it until it explodes.

I'm perfectly ok with this for now

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Forer posted:

sadly the only way right now to get rid of your burner inserters and burner miners is put it in a lovely chest, mouse over it and hit C to just shoot it until it explodes.

I'm perfectly ok with this for now

I used to drop them on the ground while out laying tracks but then I'd run into them a week later and wonder what's laying on the ground.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Do research towards bullet damage effect the tanks weapons?

Edit: Seems it does.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2014

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
You guys are missing out if you're not playing multi player, three of us in tanks engaged in lebensraum against the unrighteous bug menace.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I think the aliens figured out how the tank works and are building accordingly. I need a battleship or a helicopter.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Natural Selection in action; all the aliens that leave themselves vulnerable to tanks get tanked so only the ones that build their bases in defensible locations reproduce. Soon all the alien hive\base things will be behind rows of tank traps and bordered by oceanic barriers.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Fajita Fiesta posted:

You guys are missing out if you're not playing multi player, three of us in tanks engaged in lebensraum against the unrighteous bug menace.

Is the multiplayer stable enough to actually play through a full game with buddies?

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Delamore posted:

Is the multiplayer stable enough to actually play through a full game with buddies?

Yes and I'm as shocked as you. If you have high latency between you it can drag a bit but we were playing 3 player with hundreds of drones flying around and trains and everythin without a hitch. There is apparently a desync if you play with mixed clients though so make sure you either all use 32bit or the 64bit one.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Can we get some type of steam group or some way to all group together for the same server, because I occasionally host mine but I definitely want to play with other goons.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zephyrine posted:

I think the aliens figured out how the tank works and are building accordingly. I need a battleship or a helicopter.

I'd say make a few passes on the close ones with the machine gun, snipe one or two of the others with shells (kiting them backwards as needed), then :killdozer: the last three in one go. 5 passes, 2 repairs tops. Annoying, but not as bad as the base with 15+ big worms and I've been too lazy to set up poison cap production. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Does biter difficulty scale with number of players?