Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
Before I forget again, I want to thank the people in this thread for all the tips they've posted. Some of them have been invaluable. I went and got Bvckup2 as a result of this thread and it does exactly what I need at home without any overly complicated setup/commands.

Of course, the flip side is that you guys now have me paranoid about crypto*. Now I'm thinking about how to properly setup a backup system on my home network to guard against it, which is probably far more than I need to do. Especially considering I already have a Drobo and a full backup of the Drobo. I'm thinking I'm probably fine just unplugging the backup of the Drobo when I'm not actively backing stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fox_Spy posted:

Before I forget again, I want to thank the people in this thread for all the tips they've posted. Some of them have been invaluable. I went and got Bvckup2 as a result of this thread and it does exactly what I need at home without any overly complicated setup/commands.

Of course, the flip side is that you guys now have me paranoid about crypto*. Now I'm thinking about how to properly setup a backup system on my home network to guard against it, which is probably far more than I need to do. Especially considering I already have a Drobo and a full backup of the Drobo. I'm thinking I'm probably fine just unplugging the backup of the Drobo when I'm not actively backing stuff up.

you should be fine with a full offline backup. Its way better than most people. (THE OFFLINE BEING THE KEY PART)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Frag Viper posted:

We use Gmail at work.

I have this person at work right now that when they click on their drafts folder, and then click in the body of the drafted email the page refreshes and all text is then cleared and lost. Part of me wants to think that its because they have a metric fuckton of drafts in the drafts folder.

What the hell is causing this? Keyboard shortcuts are turned off, and they aren't using any labs that would cause this. Its such a simple issue, but the fact that this person is a director its blowing up in to a huge issue.
Is s/he using Chrome? I've had this same problem with outlook.com lately.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Sirotan posted:

Did some googling, found:

I don't have any Xerox machines at my physical location to test this on though.

This is for any 74 model. Every model has a different service code.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Here's an odd one. Our chief accountant has started reporting that out of nowhere, he'd get a tab or two pop up, seemingly at random, in whatever browser or browsers he'd have open at the time.

We finally observed it happen - my boss was going over something with him and he saw IE come into focus with a tab spawn up. It goes to https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-....google.com&t=2

If clicked, it just has a blank webpage. No content, nothing.

We run a heavily locked-down VDI environment. Images spawn off a master image, the users don't have admin rights, and profile settings are redirected to our file server. I ran Malwarebytes against his profile and home folder locations on the file server and it came up clean.
Anyone know what might be causing it or what else I should be checking?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MJP posted:

Here's an odd one. Our chief accountant has started reporting that out of nowhere, he'd get a tab or two pop up, seemingly at random, in whatever browser or browsers he'd have open at the time.

We finally observed it happen - my boss was going over something with him and he saw IE come into focus with a tab spawn up. It goes to [url]https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.en.4UtxG4m2Yd4.O/m=m_i,t/am=OAOGw7_7Ixgx36Uvqv37Y3aeFDt5Se5HmAAIdgLK52b_DWDoAX3qBwY/rt=h/d=1/t=zcms/rs=AItRSTM3A-TERsfKOA1A0GC2ATpsynp_tQ#https://b.mail.google.com/mail/u/0/....google.com&t=2[/url]

We run a heavily locked-down VDI environment. Images spawn off a master image, the users don't have admin rights, and profile settings are redirected to our file server. I ran Malwarebytes against his profile and home folder locations on the file server and it came up clean.

Do you have an "email" button on your keyboards?

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
code:
Rule breakdown below
	 pts rule name              description
	---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
	0.00 BSF_SC7_SA_HTTPS_MISMATCH_TR BODY: Custom Phishing Mismatch
	2.30 BSF_SC7_SA_HTTPS_MISMATCH BODY: Custom Phishing Mismatch
	0.00 BSF_SC7_SA_CH_HREF_FROM_MISMATCH_TR BODY: Custom Phishing Mismatch
	0.00 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
	3.00 BSF_SC7_MV0547         Custom rule MV0545
	2.50 BSF_SC2_MV0341         Custom rule MV0341
	0.10 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
	0.00 BSF_SPF_HARDFAIL       Custom Rule SPF Hardfail
	2.00 BSF_SC7_SA_CH_HREF_FROM_MISMATCH_TR2 Custom Phishing Mismatch
	7.50 BSF_SC7_SA_HTTPS_MISMATCH_TR2 Custom Phishing Mismatch
	1.30 BSF_SC7_SA578          Custom Rule SA578
	2.50 BSF_SC7_SA_MISMATCH_TR_X2 Custom Phishing Mismatch
	3.50 BSF_SC7_SA_MISMATCH_SPF Custom Rule SA_MISMATCH_SPF
	5.00 BSF_SC7_SA_CH_HREF_FROM_MISMATCH_TR3 Custom Phishing Mismatch
	2.50 BSF_SC0_MV0310b        Custom rule MV0310b
	0.50 BSF_SC5_MJ1963         Custom Rule MJ1963
	2.00 BSF_SC7_TG468          Custom Rule TG468
	4.00 BSF_SC7_TG468a         Custom Rule TG468a
	4.00 BSF_SC0_SA453_HF_HL    Custom Rule SA453_HF_HL
	4.50 BSF_SC7_SA_MISMATCH_TR_HL Custom Rule SA_MISMATCH_TR_HL
	4.00 BSF_SC7_TG468d         Custom Rule TG468d
	7.50 BSF_SC7_SA578_HF       Custom Rule SA578_HF
	5.00 BSF_SC7_SA578_HL       Custom Rule SA578_HL
X-Barracuda-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Barracuda-Spam-Score: 63.70
well, that's definitely a new spam score record for me
strangest part, the message seems to be legitimate - a suspicious foreign logon alert from royal bank
i just love dealing with a 5-years-without-paid-updates barracuda

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

nthalp posted:

people really make those mistakes?

I'm sorry but drop tables, and messing with the main OU always scares the crap out of me.

I once dropped a table in production instead of the one on the dev server. Had the wrong tab open and was working for a startup that didn't really have a dedicated dba so us devs also had to do all the work on the databases. (so we had the right to everything).

At my current company that wouldn't be possible at all because I have only have read access to everything and I am very happy with that.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Our ServiceNow shat the bed this morning following an update and changed 76,331 tickets to "reopened" status. My own queue is sixteen hundred tickets long right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Okay so for whatever reason for years when a user logs in, the message "Could not reconnect all network drives" message appears on the system tray. All network drives map successfully so I don't know wtf. Anyone know of a group policy that I can set that will disable this message?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"Computers do exactly what you tell them to do"

Counterpoint: SCCM is obtuse as poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

peak debt posted:

I had Dell replace a laptop someone's kid had drawn all over (and into) with fingerpaint under their "anything goes" insurance.

One guy I worked with knocked a radio station with ~500k listeners offline for two hours because he fooled around in the file permissions of the drive the songs were stored in.

loving with the allusers account no doubt. Removing that from the root of synched drives (Like say home directories) can break mappings.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thebigcow posted:

Do you have an "email" button on your keyboards?

Not on this user's machine, no. Standard 104-key wired USB keyboard with no bells/whistles.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MJP posted:

We finally observed it happen - my boss was going over something with him and he saw IE come into focus with a tab spawn up. It goes to [url]https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.en.4UtxG4m2Yd4.O/m=m_i,t/am=OAOGw7_7Ixgx36Uvqv37Y3aeFDt5Se5HmAAIdgLK52b_DWDoAX3qBwY/rt=h/d=1/t=zcms/rs=AItRSTM3A-TERsfKOA1A0GC2ATpsynp_tQ#https://b.mail.google.com/mail/u/0/....google.com&t=2[/url]

Ghosts.

Solution: put up a big wall calendar with today's date circled. You can also add a post-it that says "HALLOWEEN IS OVER".

:iiam:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MJP posted:

Does it only happen when he's interactinging with the computer or will it happen when the computer's sitting there not being touched?

I don't know all that much about VM administration but can you set him up with a new VM and see if it follows him?

My initial thought is he somehow set up some weird hotkey to send an email or open that site.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

watwat posted:

Do you happen to work at a large storage vendor?

E: should add some substance so I don't look like your boss or something. If your at the same place, net went down just after 10. My management held out hope till 2 but after that people in my group said gently caress it and just went home.

I am protected. I cannot confirm nor deny but you know whats up. Lets just say I'm based in a COE with lots of religious zealots

All this printer talk, I do not miss working on them. The amount of random items I've dug out of executive printers like lipstick, pens, pencils, rulers, a computer mouse. Its like they started jamming things into the paper feed drawers that got stuck everywhere. A royal gently caress you to printers.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

Does it only happen when he's interactinging with the computer or will it happen when the computer's sitting there not being touched?

I don't know all that much about VM administration but can you set him up with a new VM and see if it follows him?

My initial thought is he somehow set up some weird hotkey to send an email or open that site.

He's interacting with it - my boss saw it happen once. He's navigating through Excel, then boom, focus changes to IE (yeah, it's what this guy prefers, I know) and it spawns that tab.

We use a master image, closest thing to a new VM is a new profile- which given the handholding and placement of this user is a non-option until I prove otherwise.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
RE: password chat
Siemens/Unify phone stuff is generally 123456 for admin functions, but the factory reset on handsets is 124816 which looks almost random when you're looking at a numerical keypad, but it's actually increasing powers of two: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 which I think is quite cool :)

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Rhymenoserous posted:

Counterpoint: SCCM is obtuse as poo poo.

I'm not sure why that's listed as a counterpoint. I'm agreeing with you. It's all the more reason to treat SCCM with caution - i.e. double-check what you're going to do, maybe run it past someone else etc.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

We had a driver pull away with his cargo doors open once and dump cargo all over the place. We printed his face with "WORLDS BEST DRIVER" and stuck it to the front door of the building for him to see when he came back.

It was the bosses idea.

Presumably it went something like this but messier:

:3:

Langolas posted:

I am protected. I cannot confirm nor deny but you know whats up. Lets just say I'm based in a COE with lots of religious zealots

All this printer talk, I do not miss working on them. The amount of random items I've dug out of executive printers like lipstick, pens, pencils, rulers, a computer mouse. Its like they started jamming things into the paper feed drawers that got stuck everywhere. A royal gently caress you to printers.

I've been lucky to not have to mess with printers much yet. At a previous job I once saw someone jam a toner cartridge into a printer that wasn't the right size, snapping off some internal components. :golfclap:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

This was sent to me by a guy digging into an old file server that he's in the process of cleansing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nthalp posted:

yup same with the new ones, and the sharp either 0123456789 or 8 zeroes

Look, if '00000000' was good enough to protect the entire US nuclear missile armoury from being launched, it's good enough to protect a bloody photocopier.

(Yes, I know that isn't 100% true http://complex.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/01/20/exclusive_air_force_insists_it_never_used_painfully_simple_nuke_code , but I don't care)

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

MJP posted:

<snip>

I read something the other day about malware that was using Gmail drafts for command and control settings. :x Here's the link. I don't know where it would be hiding itself under though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in.

Someone wants us to shampoo their office's carpet :cripes:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

skooma512 posted:

A ticket came in.

Someone wants us to shampoo their office's carpet :cripes:

Yesterday a trainer came running down the systems hallway and interrupted a meeting I was having with my boss an a couple co-workers to say that there was a WASP in the training room!!!!

We just sorta looked at each other and exchanged a few WTFs before asking how that was an IT problem and did they mean to go get the building/maintenance people?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Yesterday a trainer came running down the systems hallway and interrupted a meeting I was having with my boss an a couple co-workers to say that there was a WASP in the training room!!!!

We just sorta looked at each other and exchanged a few WTFs before asking how that was an IT problem and did they mean to go get the building/maintenance people?

How do people like this survive day to day life? Do you call the loving police if a bee flies into your car?

Hit the sucker with a blunt object. Case closed.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Allergic to wasps, missed and got stung, died/going to sue you now

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Gwaihir posted:

"Oh. Okay. Great, thanks for letting us know, we'll be sure to avoid the training room until such time that the wasp is gone. <continue meeting>"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

Allergic to wasps, missed and got stung, died
Natural selection at work

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Manslaughter posted:

Allergic to wasps, missed and got stung, died/going to sue you now

Ticket closed, out of scope. Reopening ticket will result in abandonment of your support contract with no prorated return payment.

It's my favorite status in our system, and sadly rarely used.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

m.hache posted:

How do people like this survive day to day life? Do you call the loving police if a bee flies into your car?

The owner of the company I work for also rents out several apartment units. Several months ago they had a renter that called maintenance for basically anything he didn't want to do.

He accidentally threw his iPod into the trash, called maintenance and wanted them to search through his trash bags to find it. Animals tore into a trash bag he had left sitting out on the patio over night, he called maintenance to come clean it up. Wasp in the apartment? Yep, called maintenance. (this one happened a few times) Plugged toilet up? Instead of using a plunger like a normal person; call maintenance!

He called several times a week.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

The owner of the company I work for also rents out several apartment units. Several months ago they had a renter that called maintenance for basically anything he didn't want to do.

He accidentally threw his iPod into the trash, called maintenance and wanted them to search through his trash bags to find it. Animals tore into a trash bag he had left sitting out on the patio over night, he called maintenance to come clean it up. Wasp in the apartment? Yep, called maintenance. (this one happened a few times) Plugged toilet up? Instead of using a plunger like a normal person; call maintenance!

He called several times a week.

The owner of your company is a chump.

Use this knowledge wisely.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

m.hache posted:

The owner of your company is a chump.

Use this knowledge wisely.

The maintenance guy didn't actually go do any of this. They guy was eventually told to stop calling over petty things or they would terminate his lease.

I know I would never ever become a landlord; holy hell some of the things renters do. Getting evicted because you haven't paid rent in 3 months? Sure, smearing poo poo all over the walls, windows, floors, etc.. is a perfectly acceptable thing to do!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Can I rant about the ticketing system I use?
The one that this entire organization uses, this organization being in the top five computer manufacturers?
Because holy god this is a real piece of poo poo.
And I don't know where to begin.

I guess we can start with something small, but something that will still drive you up the loving wall at times. The whole UI is a mess of frames and boxes and information is spread out in an annoying fashion. Some places you can double click an un-selectable thing and it will copy it to your pasteboard, other places that won't work and you need to copy it manually to notepad (FUN!).
The right click contextual menu does not randomly work in some fields (WTF?) despite being able to select the information there. Additionally it has this extremely annoying feature when selecting text in that it will select the whole word even though you might only want the last 5 letters or whatever.
Also, double clicking to select will behave differently in different windows. Let's say you have a string like 123/abc/xyz. In some windows if you double click the string to select it will only select that section (so click on a it will only select abc) in others it will select the whole loving string.
Small annoyances, I can live with this, no problem.
Let's get to the real annoying bits.
It's slow, unforgivably slow, which makes the next thing even more fun. Sometimes when you click a button it will not give any indication that it has been clicked. The buttons are, in theory at least, animated but you see the animations maybe 25% of the time. This, coupled with the fact that it can take up to 30 seconds for it to do whatever it's supposed to do when the button is pressed makes it the worst peice of poo poo ever because after 5 seconds you start doubting whether you actually clicked the button at all.
gently caress.
Let's move on.
Tickets disappear, and there is no way for us lowliest of the low support people to get them back, and since we work with 60+ tickets a day we don't exactly remember every single thing.
We have no way of checking tickets for someone who is out sick, which is also pretty loving cool when customers are waiting for updates.
Sometimes when writing information in tickets it will randomly delete what you have written.
Sometimes when updating contact information it will wipe everything and then save it, resulting in a ticket with no contact information and that poo poo don't get archived in any way, son.
When entering addresses you get two lines for the street name but it will try to combine these for some stupid reason so "Sunstreet 97 floor 2
room 867"
Can become "sunstreet floor 867 room 2"
It will randomly switch to another ticket while you are working, and this thing can only have one ticket open for viewing at a time.

gently caress.
There is so much more but this is depressing the hell out of me, I need to get out of here because I can't deal with this and some of our customers.

Like the one who called on friday 5 minutes before I was going to log off saying she would call the cops if UPS didn't deliver her unit within the next 5 minutes.
No idea what happened, I just transferred her to the people who work with UPS (UPS is a poo poo company if you're not a big business that regularly receives packages from them)
I'm thinking I will leave once my year is up, maybe go back to school. I don't get paid enough to deal with the ticketing system nor some of these customers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone started getting a ton of undeliverable messages that she didn't send. E-mails with subjects like "Hungry for sex? Brown baggable misses, 100% discreet!" or "Looking for flings? Unalluring yet screwable cuties, strictly FWB!" She forwarded us one of the undeliverable messages, and they're getting sent from postfix on an SMTP relay on our network, which is apparently open to the loving internet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Congrats on being 'those people'

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

Congrats on being 'those people'

Rule 1 on running an email server should be to type it into mxtoolbox and see how broken it is.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

m.hache posted:

I believe wasps emit pheromones when they die that attract further wasps to investigate.

Knock it out of the air with a well timed backhand, capture it, and release is the safest way.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Rohaq posted:

I believe wasps emit pheromones when they die that attract further wasps to investigate.

Knock it out of the air with a well timed backhand, capture it, and release is the safest way.

Chuck plastic balls at it until it becomes your friend, use it to attack other people's pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Rohaq posted:

This sounds like my nightmare. I'd rather deal with printers all day

I have a user that can't open a particular excel file from a network drive. It tries to download for awhile and either doesn't work or sometimes bsods her machine. I thought it was kaspersky doing something because it says its databases are obsolete and also because it breaks poo poo all the time. One of the sysadmins here says he saw the same issue before and removing print drivers fixed it. How is that possible

• Locked thread