Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Have they made any attempt to reconcile the lore of Dunmer, Nords, and Argonians allying up? That really just rubs me the wrong way.

dragon break! probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Have they made any attempt to reconcile the lore of Dunmer, Nords, and Argonians allying up? That really just rubs me the wrong way.

Lore is, Akaviri invaded which forced the three to work together to repel, then the resulting goodwill, the Imperials and other alliances forced them to formally create the Pact. Nords got the leader, Dunmer have the Capital, Argonians got all Argonian slaves freed.

Of course, Great House Telvanni, also known as Best House, said 'gently caress this poo poo, it's stupid and we're not playing along' and refused to join.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sky Shadowing posted:

Lore is, Akaviri invaded which forced the three to work together to repel, then the resulting goodwill, the Imperials and other alliances forced them to formally create the Pact. Nords got the leader, Dunmer have the Capital, Argonians got all Argonian slaves freed.

Of course, Great House Telvanni, also known as Best House, said 'gently caress this poo poo, it's stupid and we're not playing along' and refused to join.

House Telvanni: The Correct Choice Yet Again

That's actually better than it could have been, but still...ugh.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

What about Dres? They're possibly even more pro-slave than the Telvanni. Were they just erased?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Moryrie posted:

What about Dres? They're possibly even more pro-slave than the Telvanni. Were they just erased?

No, they're in the game, but I seem to remember they're pretty confident the Pact will fall apart and things will go back to the old way.

Which is to say, right.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GrumpyDoctor posted:

All I have to say about TESO lore is this: http://youtu.be/yCTVxZxxZi0

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mister Adequate posted:

All I have to say about TESO lore is this: http://youtu.be/yCTVxZxxZi0

Haha, I hate to be one of those Morrowind Supremacy Grognards, but if this is true goddamn. I'm also happy I didn't mess with TESO.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Dunmer and Nords, two highly racist races team up with Argonians?

Orv
May 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Dunmer and Nords, two highly racist races team up with Argonians?

They even treat them like people.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
If you can't poison your weapons in Morrowind like in Oblivion and Skyrim, the fucks the point of alchemy? If I want to play a Morag Tong assassin (and I'm starting to regret a stealthy character in MW), I want my opener to be a stealth arrow tipped with poison followed by some enchanted dagger play, but I can't poison weapons.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

If you can't poison your weapons in Morrowind like in Oblivion and Skyrim, the fucks the point of alchemy? If I want to play a Morag Tong assassin (and I'm starting to regret a stealthy character in MW), I want my opener to be a stealth arrow tipped with poison followed by some enchanted dagger play, but I can't poison weapons.

Alchemy is there to facilitate breaking the game. You can brew potions and sell them for absurd amounts of cash, or make potions that improve your ability to make potions, until you can make potions that give you 40000000 strength for 8575693785903754948 seconds. Potions with ill effects are pretty much useless but can, for some reason, be sold for a lot of money.

Poisoning weapons is done through enchanting.

Stealth in MW is basically useless until you have it trained quite high or use ranged weapons. Don't bother. Magic is overall much more powerful and more interesting than stealth. You get invisibility, you can both lock and unlock doors, and you can use telekinesis to trigger traps without being harmed.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

If you're trying to be sneaky and poo poo I think the skill values of pickpocketing and stealing poo poo were broken so you had an abysmally low chance of successfully getting the item. I installed a fix and I was stealing everything that wasn't nailed down.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Buck Turgidson posted:

Alchemy is there to facilitate breaking the game. You can brew potions and sell them for absurd amounts of cash, or make potions that improve your ability to make potions, until you can make potions that give you 40000000 strength for 8575693785903754948 seconds. Potions with ill effects are pretty much useless but can, for some reason, be sold for a lot of money.

It should be emphasized that these figures are not at all ridiculous. Once you break the game hard enough you will be able to potions with arbitrarily powerful effects, and which will turn you into a living god for essentially as long as you see fit. I once gained such strength that hitting anything with anything instantly broke the weapon. Even something like Skull Crusher with 8000/8000 durability would break in a single hit. I imagine, were the game capable of modelling it, I could have simply struck the foot of Red Mountain and buried Dagoth Ur as it collapsed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

It should be emphasized that these figures are not at all ridiculous. Once you break the game hard enough you will be able to potions with arbitrarily powerful effects, and which will turn you into a living god for essentially as long as you see fit. I once gained such strength that hitting anything with anything instantly broke the weapon. Even something like Skull Crusher with 8000/8000 durability would break in a single hit.

Hopefully openmw facilitates a crafting mod that would allow the creation of godforged weapons with 1023020300213013 durability

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

As far as I know, the only mod for this is alchemist's arsenal, which lets you use a scripted equipment to make poison bombs, which are technically enchanted thrown weapons in the shape of poison bottles. So yeah, you're pretty much stuck with enchanting instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Ahahaha, Alchemy is for breaking the game like it was twig, not something so petty as "poison." If you want to use alchemy your opening blow should kill someone on the first hit, then you can jump a nautical mile away.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OpenMW 0.32.0 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_EXok9BW0Y

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Made a mage and used the Atronach as my sign. gently caress not having any magicka regeneration.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Made a mage and used the Atronach as my sign. gently caress not having any magicka regeneration.

Just recharge from shrines.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
get summon anscestor ghost and stop being a scrub maybe?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
yeah no mana regen is perfectly fine to deal with in morrowind and atronach is p. much the best sign in the game

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
OK THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I WILL GIT GUD

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
I just reinstalled Morrowind with the MGSO and just a few other mods. Right out of the gates I've run into a bit of a problem:

I can't actually take the papers. Isn't there supposed to be a hotkey I can use to take them? Regardless, I'd rather have all the papers in the game be of a normal size. Anyone know the cause of this? Running the game at 2560x1080, could that have anything to do with it?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
mgso comes with an older version of morrowind code patch, if you get the latest version from the nexus there is an option for better book/scroll display that isnt in the older version. if you install that it will fix your problem and still be able to run at that resolution.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I had forgotten just how loving lovely spell failure is until I played a caster.

Ugh this game. Let me simulate the melee experience

*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*HIT!*
*WHIFF*
*WHIFF*
*HIT*
DEAD

The caster experience

*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
DEAD

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 9, 2014

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Rad Gravity posted:

with the MGSO

Found your problem

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Deaderinred posted:

mgso comes with an older version of morrowind code patch, if you get the latest version from the nexus there is an option for better book/scroll display that isnt in the older version. if you install that it will fix your problem and still be able to run at that resolution.

Did the trick, and also holy poo poo are books so much easier to read now. Thanks. Putting on the ol' robe and wizard hat now.

Oggumogoggum posted:

Found your problem

True enough, but it prettied up my game in no time, which after twelve years of reinstalls and mod-hunts is really convenient.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Rad Gravity posted:

Did the trick, and also holy poo poo are books so much easier to read now. Thanks. Putting on the ol' robe and wizard hat now.

You'll regret it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I had forgotten just how loving lovely spell failure is until I played a caster.

The caster experience

*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
*SPELL FAILED*
DEAD

Join telvanni, get some enchanted items and training so you can stop being terrible. Also install the quick-cast thing from the code patch so you can use a weapon and cast at the same time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Join telvanni, get some enchanted items and training so you can stop being terrible. Also install the quick-cast thing from the code patch so you can use a weapon and cast at the same time.

I can pay for training with all the gold I don't have.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
well get some gold then

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You'll regret it.

Cleared out Addamasartus and killing scribs and kwama foragers left and right no regrets so far :smuggo:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Sorry, I've forgotten what it's like not to immediately collect piles of priceless glass armor and artifacts on my way out of Seyda Neen :smuggo: Just work hard for your guilds and your Great House, outlander, and you too can stop being a scrub

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Sorry, I've forgotten what it's like not to immediately collect piles of priceless glass armor and artifacts on my way out of Seyda Neen :smuggo: Just work hard for your guilds and your Great House, outlander, and you too can stop being a scrub

Tell me more

Gobblecoque posted:

well get some gold then

These common shoes don't have bootstraps.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Seriously, join the thieves guild. I was rolling in cash before level 8 just doing missions for them.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Robot Randy posted:

Seriously, join the thieves guild. I was rolling in cash before level 8 just doing missions for them.

Or just abuse the Dunmer's bizarre system of inheritance by stealing napkins from people's homes and killing them in "self defense" when they attack you. Now you have a house and tons of stuff to sell.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Tell me more

Believe it or not, when Morrowind was new, one of the chief complaints was that it was too easy. Many of the most popular early mods - Wakims, Adventurer's, Giants, etc. were specifically designed to make the game harder. Bethesda even got in the act, adding the difficulty slider in a patch, Graenor, and, well, most things in Bloodmoon. The vanilla game is not hard, and no, you do not have to abuse thievery, training, or alchemy to survive (but they are there and they are fun).

What is wrong with kids these days? Get off my lawn!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Tell me more

just go spelunking in the caves and tombs in the bitter coast region (swampy area on the southwest coast), they're pretty easy. any smuggler/bandit caves will have some drugs and booze and occasional decent weapons and armor to pawn off and you might find a really nice ring in one of the tombs

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What console codes are you guys using? Traps are insta-kill and scamps, bandits, ghosts are unhittable and are quite easily 3 shotting my level 2 dude, even when I have a lovely ancestor spirit up and shield.

And there's no magicka regen between fights?

I have 3 sets of dark brotherhood armor on me, and a set of Orcish armor I got from some idiot in a shithole. The merchants have 3, 400 gold maybe and only offer me 1/3 of what each item is worth. Dark Brotherhood pants worth 300 gold? Better give you 97 for it. It's obvious you guys are playing a very different game than I am.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If things are killing you then run away from them. And stop opening trapped things.