Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the guy just isn't interested in listening to people talk about anime rather than being some sort of representative face of the Goon Zeitgeist

bobservo posted:

Thanks to everyone who gave to the Retronauts Patreon! We're back to weekly episodes again.

Got a link Bob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like Super Best Friends sometimes because they're the only ones who talk about stuff like fighting games, Bayonetta and Smash Bros in any detail other than "It has these characters, I played it"

On the other hand they've spent like an hour of the last month of podcasts talking about everyone's Japan trips. I went to Japan earlier this year and initially it was cool to hear but by now it's like poo poo guys I get it.

The couple episodes of isometric I listened to had Maddy Myers talking about fighting games and I think she probably talked about bayo 2 when that came out. I couldn't stand listening to Brianna Wu though, so I dropped them from my rotation, and I still feel bad about it. They're worth a shot, for sure.

I also really like Spawn On Me, but they don't seem as mechanics oriented maybe? Still need to listen to more of them, but they seem pretty rad.

Also, no anime.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

C-Euro posted:

I couldn't stand 8-4 Play after a few months of listening, but I also haven't listened to it in almost a year so maybe it's better now. I just felt like they tried too hard to be the Bombcast in its prime and just fell flat, in that they tried to be zany and crazy without knowing how to do it well and not be annoying about it. But again, it's been a while so maybe it's different.

I don't have any experience with the Bombcast outside of listening to a few episodes and not being able to deal with a 3 hour podcast that didn't really go anywhere. This was post-Ryan Davis, but nothing really grabbed me beforehand when I saw links. It might just be nostalgia from reading a bunch of EGM in the late 90s and throughout the first half of the 00s, but I find that they strike a fairly decent balance and most of their episodes follow a good balance of goofing off, talking about games, and talking about news. Mark Macdonald runs a fairly tight ship and moves the podcast forward.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every podcast can't be all things to all people, it's not surprising there's differing opinions in here since people come to each one with different expectations. I personally prefer the goofing off and less recent game discussions, I skip most of current game talk in the Bombcast since I'm not going to buy a PS4 or bone.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Maybe the guy just isn't interested in listening to people talk about anime rather than being some sort of representative face of the Goon Zeitgeist

Got a link Bob?

Sure: http://www.patreon.com/retronauts

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm ten seconds into the new Thumbs and I lost it at "they won't".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm much further than 10 seconds in, and boy do I come with a gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V94NttCtWBQ

e: Although I found one downside to the HDness - Riddler's suit could do with a little adjusting... down there.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Although I found one downside to the HDness - Riddler's suit could do with a little adjusting... down there.

Holy mucilage!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8-4 is one of the very few podcasts in general that time-stamp their topics, so they will always have my listen.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

My friends and colleagues at Gaslamp Games were on the Quarter to Three podcast today: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/11/06/qt3-games-podcast-clockwork-empires-gaslamp-games/

They talk about our new game (Clockwork Empires) and early access stuff.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Daynab posted:

My friends and colleagues at Gaslamp Games were on the Quarter to Three podcast today: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/11/06/qt3-games-podcast-clockwork-empires-gaslamp-games/

They talk about our new game (Clockwork Empires) and early access stuff.

Wait, qt3 still does a podcast? Guess I'll have to give that a listen.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TetsuoTW posted:

I also see where Schumacher got the idea for the nipples on the batsuit

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally listened to the WOFF on REmake, thanks for making me want to play that game again when I'm supposed to be starting a wedding fund with my old GC library :arghfist::saddowns: I don't think I disagreed with anything you brought up, it's really underappreciated and definitely worth checking out.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

For the guy who was asking about Jim Crawford guesting on Video Games Hot Dog, we had him on again yesterday. Episode 174.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Three moves ahead is up for any one who is interested in their take on the latest civ.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I need to drop everything and pick up that blu-ray set. The 1960s was the decade of amazing maniacal laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1tbOyNHleE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRzWTRvR5k

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

zapjackson posted:

For the guy who was asking about Jim Crawford guesting on Video Games Hot Dog, we had him on again yesterday. Episode 174.

You can tell this episode is going places when it quickly gets into a discussion about how The Matrix is poo poo and The Matrix Reloaded is good.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

zapjackson posted:

Cool. Haven't listened yet, but if I would have known I would have sent in a reader mail asking him to expand on his theory that chess is a badly designed game.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Just posted by Jake on Twitter: http://t.co/efQj9H5SV3

I guess if your assets are being stolen before the game is out that means they're good right?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Sexy Randal posted:

Just posted by Jake on Twitter: http://t.co/efQj9H5SV3

Unfortunately another game studio stealing his art is old hat for Olly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ulta posted:

Cool. Haven't listened yet, but if I would have known I would have sent in a reader mail asking him to expand on his theory that chess is a badly designed game.

That's actually not an outlandish theory. Not sure if this is his reasoning, but among a subset of IM and higher level players (who still like chess, natch), the thought is that chess relies too much on memorizing opening lines, and that the advantage tends to go to who has memorized the most variety and to the max depth of various openings, rather than who is the best strategic / tactical player. Hence such things as Bobby Fisher's invention of Chess960

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shoor Games [author] 18 minutes ago
Sunny, i bassed all the game graphics in that poster. I was really dissapointed to see that Firewath has nothign to do with that poster, so, what id did? i too that color pallete and background, and make a game. I dont see much problem, i have all the right to use the same colors.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really don't see the connection. The color palette is obviously lifted but the graphics, as far as I can tell, are completely unique.

There's a precarious line between homage and plagiarism, like this Borderlands 2 art, but it's not like either person is outright stealing something.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

That's actually not an outlandish theory. Not sure if this is his reasoning, but among a subset of IM and higher level players (who still like chess, natch), the thought is that chess relies too much on memorizing opening lines, and that the advantage tends to go to who has memorized the most variety and to the max depth of various openings, rather than who is the best strategic / tactical player. Hence such things as Bobby Fisher's invention of Chess960

David Sirlin talked about this some on the first episode of his new podcast, which I like a lot so far. It's very much design-focused, so if that's your thing, then... maybe it's your thing.

Might be worth adding to next year's podcast post if it sticks around. Though it's not specifically about video games...

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/podcast-sirlin-on-game-design

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Phone posted:

Shoor Games [author] 18 minutes ago
Sunny, i bassed all the game graphics in that poster. I was really dissapointed to see that Firewath has nothign to do with that poster, so, what id did? i too that color pallete and background, and make a game. I dont see much problem, i have all the right to use the same colors.

I see what Firewath has to do with that poster but what hed did isn't really stealing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Unless he means he means he was disappointed to see that the poster wasn't associated with a video game because Firewatch is not a video game in which case he can burn.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

zapjackson posted:

David Sirlin talked about this some on the first episode of his new podcast, which I like a lot so far. It's very much design-focused, so if that's your thing, then... maybe it's your thing.

Might be worth adding to next year's podcast post if it sticks around. Though it's not specifically about video games...

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/podcast-sirlin-on-game-design

That looks really interesting, will definitely check it out. Thanks!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What's the tone like on Sirlin's podcast? I used to enjoy reading his pieces about game balance and whatnot, but he could be almost intolerably condescending about the idea that some people might value "having fun" over "winning all the time."

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pasco posted:

You can tell this episode is going places when it quickly gets into a discussion about how The Matrix is poo poo and The Matrix Reloaded is good.

Oh my god this might be what gets me back in VGHD and then quit again.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Should come with Taco Bell voucher for authenticity, bonus points if voucher is for Doritos taco

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

(clickable)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

I really don't see the connection. The color palette is obviously lifted but the graphics, as far as I can tell, are completely unique.
Except the background which is shamelessly lifted? He even admits this.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
He's trying to piggyback on the Firewatch hype. Its not illegal, and not the worst thing but it reveals a kind of artistic bankruptcy and puts him in the tier of scumbag that creates flappy bird clones and the people who make "Snakes on a Train" and "Transmorphers"

Edit : unless it's some sort of meta satire, where instead of the narrative is revealed through gameplay and exploration, nothing is revealed, and narrative is somehow taken way through gameplay.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 8, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The talk about Birdman made me wonder if any of the Thumbs have seen Bojack Horseman on nertflix - it has a pretty similar premise of a has-been star, except that it is nominally a comedy (the first two episodes kind of flail around trying to be another Family Guy before it finds its own voice,) about people and anthropomorphic animals in Hollywood while the protagonist deals with crippling depression and substance abuse problems. It is almost shockingly good once it stops trying to emulate other shows, though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

coyo7e posted:

The talk about Birdman made me wonder if any of the Thumbs have seen Bojack Horseman on nertflix - it has a pretty similar premise of a has-been star, except that it is nominally a comedy (the first two episodes kind of flail around trying to be another Family Guy before it finds its own voice,) about people and anthropomorphic animals in Hollywood while the protagonist deals with crippling depression and substance abuse problems. It is almost shockingly good once it stops trying to emulate other shows, though.

I might give it another try then. I got through about ten minutes and it never got out of "Will Arnet wants to be in a cartoon" mode.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The first two episodes are pretty much cringe-worthy however, by the end of the season I was tearing up :cry: . They also have a lot of cool details such as how the D in "Hollywood" is no longer in the opening credit-scene after a certain romantic heist.

Also the dude on the couch is Aaron Paul basically playing himself from Breaking Bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kind of surprised that Snoop rolled his 'r' on sayonara. He must speak some Japanese.

Akuma posted:

Except the background which is shamelessly lifted? He even admits this.

It's not, though. None of the background is "shamelessly lifted" from the poster except the palette. There's not a single silhouette you can match up which makes it original.

Not that it matters, the game was removed from Greenlight.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

al-azad posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Snoop rolled his 'r' on sayonara. He must speak some Japanese.

Snoop only watches raws, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's not, though. None of the background is "shamelessly lifted" from the poster except the palette. There's not a single silhouette you can match up which makes it original.

Not that it matters, the game was removed from Greenlight.

Yeah, on first glance it looks like a straight rip, but if you actually look closely it's just using a very similar palette, and I don't think you can own a palette (though US IP law is insane, so maybe you can).

• Locked thread