Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, has anyone figured out what the Sharp Plug does? It says "Charges with blood" but I've grabbed it a few times and haven't noticed anything from it. Platinum God hasn't figured it out either.

Trying using your spacebar item without full charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Read posted:

Trying using your spacebar item without full charge.

Oh.

Ooooh.

That's loving awesome man.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thank god for the save function. Right before work I was about to start a boss rush as Azazeal with Sissy Longlegs, a smattering of orbitals and followers, Lil haunt, Tammy's head, the habit, devil bum and random stat increases.

Dis gon b gud

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just beat mom's heart the silliest way possible. I was in guppy mode but had no soul hearts and I'm poo poo at dodging, so beating the heart in a straight up fight didn't work since I kept getting sent out of the room. However I discovered something odd; since I had the remote detonator, any bombs planted in the chamber persisted between attempts. So what I ended up doing was just stacking a bunch of bombs before dieing again, then I ran back in for an instant kill via mass detonation.

There are so many ways to break this game. Its great.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

IronicDongz posted:

This is so very not true that I had to go and record something to demonstrate

Video is me playing as Azazel, picking up no items at all along the way, just consumables, and still beating Mom's Heart without much trouble(minus some weird glitch where a summon gets stuck in a corner). Fight is at 21:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkZZF6kK370

Azazel is ez mode

This is a pro click, just turn your sound down or mute it so the laser noise doesn't drive you mad

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There I was, being miserable doing the Head Trauma challenge.
Then I picked up a Coal.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, I just cleared the Beans! challenge (which is just horribly sadistic).

The unlock is the goddamn Burnt Penny.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone who hates charge weapons needs to suck it up.

Lil' Brimstone and Monstro's Lung are basically unstoppable, and made me pull through a ??? boss rush and eventual Sheol win. You just have to change your tactics a bit.

Edit: Also entering the Sheol boss room with nothing but 4 soul hearts is very scary.

Zokari fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 7, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Has anyone come across Soy Milk+IPECAC? Is it as hilariously powerful as I'm imagining?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Broken Cog posted:

There I was, being miserable doing the Head Trauma challenge.
Then I picked up a Coal.

I beat it with the wiggle worm. It's like herding a swarm of angry bees.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

Up to a 3 win streak now because my Eve run gave me a dark bum which basically wins the game for her. I still suck though. Went into heart room with a full health bar, came out with one heart left. There's just so much poo poo going on that I can't figure out an actual strategy for it other than spray and pray. I still haven't unlocked Sampson too.
You just gotta look for holes in the patterns. Don't be afraid to back off out of where you can shoot it from in order to dodge, avoiding the shots is more worthwhile than getting in a little extra damage at the expense of health.
The tricky pattern is this one, but once you get the timing down it's not so bad. Basically when one bullet moves forward, it makes a larger gap to move through before the one behind it also accelerates slightly after.(also keep in mind they're basically all easier to dodge farther away from the heart because they spread out more.)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Here is a video I recorded for a friend who won't buy the game. I have a fun run with Azezal including crushing a BOSS RUSH, then I had a spectacular run with Lazarus. It seems like its still a case of if the game wants you to win, you will win. I take it all the way to Satans hole both times!

Any feedback on my playstyle would be appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/jvanvalkenburg/b/586066970

E: I do get up a few times to help my GF with stuff around the house, please forgive me.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 7, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there any reason to play as Isaac over Lazarus before unlocking the D6?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

BFF Fly is the shittiest familiar and I will never willingly pick it up again.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

This is almost certainly a bug, but something interesting i tested during the Beans challenge, If you go into a room with a naturally spawned pickup (like a penny in the middle of some rocks), blast the rocks, grab the penny, bomb the door, leave, and then go back inside, the rocks stay broken, but the penny respawns, along with the enemies. warrants further testing, but if say, a 1+1 bomb was there instead of a penny.. that would be potentially infinite bombs.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So does beating Satan early gently caress me out of Platinum God? I can't seem to unlock certain endings now. I got the appropriate item for them but heading to Satan just played the Sheol ending and now there are some gaps in my ending list.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Aishlinn posted:

This is almost certainly a bug, but something interesting i tested during the Beans challenge, If you go into a room with a naturally spawned pickup (like a penny in the middle of some rocks), blast the rocks, grab the penny, bomb the door, leave, and then go back inside, the rocks stay broken, but the penny respawns, along with the enemies. warrants further testing, but if say, a 1+1 bomb was there instead of a penny.. that would be potentially infinite bombs.

works better with the hands that pick you up

is there a mama's boy equivalent for later levels? almost got it in cathedral, if it exists, but a stray tear hit me

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

So does beating Satan early gently caress me out of Platinum God? I can't seem to unlock certain endings now. I got the appropriate item for them but heading to Satan just played the Sheol ending and now there are some gaps in my ending list.

You don't have to open the chest to get the ending. The Satan ending is just listed as 12, you'll still get the others after beating the heart more.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inzombiac posted:

Is there any reason to play as Isaac over Lazarus before unlocking the D6?

He's got his own unlocks for mom/heart/bossrush/ect kills, but other than that..."eh".

In other news, I'm not sure if my Lil' Devil buddy is broken or if this is the effect of the super-secret room:

Uh, dood, shouldn't you be giving me soul hearts?

Edit: yeah, it's the super-secret room that's breaking it. I jumped out and he just lay the soul-hearts on me.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Zokari posted:

You don't have to open the chest to get the ending. The Satan ending is just listed as 12, you'll still get the others after beating the heart more.

Are you sure? I've beaten mom's heart a few times since then and have unlocked endings, but endings 3 and 4 are grayed out while 5 and 6 are unlocked. I got transcendence and whatever the item for ending 4 is but no endings.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

He's got his own unlocks for mom/heart/bossrush/ect kills, but other than that..."eh".

In other news, I'm not sure if my Lil' Devil buddy is broken or if this is the effect of the super-secret room:

Edit: yeah, it's the super-secret room that's breaking it. I jumped out and he just lay the soul-hearts on me.

When this happens you get enough soul hearts to fill up your bar. Basically when you are in that room and he picks up hearts, he tries to drop a soul heart, but it seems the game forces all heart drops in those rooms to be regular hearts. Which he can then pick up. And drop. And pick up.

I've had that situation happen twice so far, and each time he has dropped the number of soul hearts equal to one more than the maximum that I could hold.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I'm super glad the super-secret womb room quirk from the original came back and even more glad that it apparently effects completely non-random drops like Dark Bum. :allears:

Wonder how the Cathedral one (with the eternal heart) functions now......

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So fairly early in an Azazel run I got the quad shot (Mutant Spider?) powerup. I was able to kill every boss with one hit as soon as the room loaded. It made dealing with small enemies a little bit of a chore with the long charge time, but I also had a swarm of spiders to help me with that so it wasn't so bad.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dork457 posted:

Ran into this bug on the PS4 version. And other than failing to sync, which I'm assuming is server side, this has been the only issue I've seen with that version. Just randomly booted me to a loading screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76nr-Zgir0

I guess it was too much to hope for that an Edmund McMillen release would be bug free, but whatever. Are most of the issues thus far been for the PC version?
PSN is totally hosed for me. I've since deleted both my PS4 and Vita versions, and it won't sync anymore. It apparently broke in the first place from cross-save syncing.

I have to just give up until there's some major patching. I'm far more inclined to play this while stuck on transit, on my Vita, but it's dark as poo poo and just not as nice as the PS4 version. The only way this is going to work for me is if they fix up the Vita version, or fix syncing.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Magres posted:

Same, homing bombs :(

Supremezero posted:

... yeaaaaaaaaaaah, this one's giving me homing bombs, not Tammy's Head. Anyone else?

Just tried again and it gives me Tammy's Head. I think the seeds must be different for PC and PS4 (I'm on PS4).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Guess who one thumb and learned about the boss-rush room in the middle of a Curse of Darkness Challenge run?

This guy.

Guess who has another thumb and beat it anyway?

THIS GUUUUUUYYYYY

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Color Printer posted:

BFF Fly is the shittiest familiar and I will never willingly pick it up again.
What does it do that's worse than Bob? Blowing up in your face for a full hearts worth of damage as well as blowing up slot machines that payout with flies is pretty bad.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

The Head Trauma challenge is giving me a headache. I can't hit these dumb wall spiders and I can't bomb myself out of the room.

I'm gonna play as Azazel to blow off steam.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sanctum posted:

What does it do that's worse than Bob? Blowing up in your face for a full hearts worth of damage as well as blowing up slot machines that payout with flies is pretty bad.

Pretty much exactly that since it's a Bomb Fly. Sure you can try to stay away from it as it flies around the room but you try doing that when you're fighting Peep with a bunch of rocks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Color Printer posted:

I'm super glad the super-secret womb room quirk from the original came back and even more glad that it apparently effects completely non-random drops like Dark Bum. :allears:

Yeah, when I got out he just started dumping hearts. It was amazing. I was a bit worried about the run before, I had the Bible, Pyro for 99 bombs and I hit like a truck, but then I got that D-Deal and, well, I'm almost at faceroll status.

I just need either permanent flying or some sort of shot effect, and this Purist run is in the bag. Good thing I bought More Options back in the Cellar. A choice of options after boss kills? Yes please!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK COME ON GAME

Doing Head Trauma, get Krampus, get SUPER excited for coal with that setup, get loving Krampus' Head instead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Blows up in your face completely out of your control.

e:
I was so excited when I barely killed Mom on Solar System, then I noticed the hole down to the Womb :negative:

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm absolutely loving hard mode. You have to actually consider destroying pots, skulls, mushrooms etc. I'm glad they didn't just dump a shitload of extra HP on every enemy. This feels like the way the game was meant to be played

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Magres posted:

FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK COME ON GAME

Doing Head Trauma, get Krampus, get SUPER excited for coal with that setup, get loving Krampus' Head instead.

Congratulations on your instant-boss-kill button.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hahahaha, watching someone stream the game right now. He managed to get to the Boss Rush with Daddy Longlegs and the Gnawed Leaf, just cheesing it as Maggy stand still for invincibility while Daddy Longlegs does all the work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Protip: Don't use the dice room on 1 while on a blindfolded challenge. Solar system sucked but at least I could attack things.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So ludoviko + Polyphemus with Azazel just wrecks everything in seconds.

Dark Boy, Mama's boy, boss rush and first Satan kill all done in one run, holy poo poo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Has anyone tried using a Lovers or Hierophant card inside one of those super secret rooms?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Tollymain posted:

it drops soul hearts, trinkets, a crystal ball, and it has a huge cock on the back it uses to gently caress your wife when it comes alive at night

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think fortune telling machines drop soul hearts anymore, unless I'm getting very unlucky with them. Also the Crystal Ball gives you the effect of both the map and the compass whenever you use it. It's good.