Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else pick of Claustrophobia on steam? It's pretty good for the $4.99 price tag! Early access but pretty active development and really nice controls (either mouse or numpad) so it's easy to jump in and play without needing to learn much.

Did a little gameplay as well if you want to see what it's like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuS4VXVNkPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else pick of Claustrophobia on steam? It's pretty good for the $4.99 price tag! Early access but pretty active development and really nice controls (either mouse or numpad) so it's easy to jump in and play without needing to learn much.

Did a little gameplay as well if you want to see what it's like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuS4VXVNkPU

I played about an hour of it on stream, I enjoyed it, though I haven't really dove into it hardcore. Feels great for 5 bucks.

Harminoff if you like doing roguelike Let's Plays, you should sign up here for a Dungeonmans key! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R0oZ6b1cn9hmSNMkV-U-fqPY-WwJdJBKA6tUEYyIjjY/viewform

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ToxicFrog posted:

.... and the levels are all huge key/switch mazes, except the key or switch might actually be for a completely different level (that you may even have already explored, but now it's different! Good luck finding out where!)

I have a serious hate on for games that feature a lot of backtracking and mindless maze hunts. Almost a phobia, where if I play a game and suddenly I'm back in the same spot I was before, I'm beyond pissed, and if I happen to come across that area a third time, it's an immediate close game and uninstall.

Hexen is the game that did that to me. I've had nightmares where I'm playing Hexen again, going through the same area (but oh so slightly different) for the tenth time in a row. I don't even know why I played so much of it back in the day, but I guess I was holding out hope that it might get as good as Heretic at some point. Nope!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember liking it at the time but perhaps it didn't age well. Games were full of stupid bullshit in 1994.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Protip for people playing Tower of Guns: when you complete Sanctum, there are two elevators. The one you can see when you enter the room wins the game. The one at the back of the room takes you to the secret final bullshit boss. Dying to this boss does not count as a win and doesn't unlock anything that normally unlocks on a win.

Before taking on the secret boss, you will need a way of crossing large fields of lava (the All-Access Pass or a fully upgraded Motivator are good ideas here) and a great deal of confidence in your asskicking ability.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember liking it at the time but perhaps it didn't age well. Games were full of stupid bullshit in 1994.

If you only played the demo, that was front-loaded with the only good parts of the game, so that's probably a large part of it.

It doesn't fare any better if you only compare it to its contemporaries, either; by 1994 we had, off the top of my head, System Shock, Marathon, Pathways into Darkness, Doom 1 and 2, and Heretic, all of which thoroughly kick the poo poo out of Hexen.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Apart from Hexen. I do not like Hexen.

Heretic was my first ever FPS. It was awesome. My parents let me play it and not doom because doom had real guns and you shot people in it. The closest heretic got to people was yellow michelin men full of ghosts. But Heretic was and is pretty great, nostalgia aside.

Naturally I was just super jazzed when my dad got Hexen. It was like Heretic, but it had all this crazy new poo poo. Open world! New monsters! Three roided up todd mcfarlane badasses to choose from! Powerups out the rear end!

I thought it was awesome at the time, mostly cause I just cheated and warped around the levels, but playing it again now, all that stuff is the reason it sucks.

Hexen is not gritty, it is just ugly. Quake gets poo poo for being brown. Brown is a feature Quake lifted shamelessly from Hexen and ruined with the occassioanl brightly lit section. Hexen is muddy, foggy, dim, not even as interesting as dark. When I was a kid I found the game a little unsettling, I thought this was because of the scarier monsters and hanging corpses, but no. The game was just giving me seasonal depression. The art style is like something a van-airbrusher or metal album cover artist did in their off time using the colours they had left after they had used up all the colours that make people feel excitement.

The class system sucks too. More choice! More playstyles! No. 4 weapons per playthrough. gently caress you. And if the repetition of using 1 or 2 weapons all the time wasn't bad enough, those weapons suck.

The fighter's weapons suck. He doesn't get a ranged weapon till episode 2, so his extra health is offset by all the getting hit in the face he does. That ranged weapon being the hammer bros hammer from mario. Which I guess is cool. His ultimate weapon is a sword. A sword that you aren't even allowed to hit people with. It shoots green poo poo in a big wave, I guess because it's magic.

The mage's default grandma brooch is his best weapon, which means you'll spend ages plinking away with the most boring effect in history. His ultimate incorporates the exciting design elements of redness and skulls but its main power is using all your mana to shoot stupid fire grappling hooks into the wall either side of your enemy.

The cleric gets the best weapons, but they make no sense. A snake staff? I've not been to church many times but I've seen at least half of Witchfinder General and there was no snake staff in that. And Witchfinder General was awesome. His second weapon is I guess a spell the mage didn't really want. It doesn't even shoot holy beams out. Just basic fire. His ultimate is extremely rad however because it is a heavy metal crucifix that shoots ghosts. Angry ghosts with a lust for wrecking dudes. Sometimes they even turn around and wreck you. But you will never get to use it because it uses too much mana.

The hub system is terrible. Maybe it's just me. Maybe at the time there were a hell of a lot of dudes writing in to Raven saying "Heretic was AWESOME but what would really kick it OFF THE CHAIN (it was the 90s) is if you had to revisit each level three times to unlock one extra room with 3 imps in and a switch you will not see.". But that's what most of the game is. They don't even tell you what the switches have unlocked. You just have to blunder about. The levels are poo poo too. Nobody wants to go to a cave once, never mind three times. It's not even a cool cave with like, lava and skeletons and a hidden demon temple. It's just a regular cave. The monsters all wear northface clothes and want to talk to you about stalactites and quartz.

I guess to themeatically mirror the weapons, the enemies are poo poo too. There are like 5 of them and at least three of them are lifted from Heretic and made less fun. I guess they still had some lovely mechanics left over after they were done converting the Heretic monsters so the main other new monster is a fleshy centaur looking thing that blocks for like 2 seconds straight every time you hit them. It takes two hits to kill them of almost any weapon, so killing them is like being a cashier waiting for a senior citizen to find something in their purse then put it away again. There are 100 of them in every level and they all queue up behind the one that is currently wasting your time. Again like old people at a checkout.

That is the whole game. Killing inconvenient, boring enemies with inconvenient, boring weapons to find a switch nobody gives a gently caress about.

This post came out way spergier than intended so I guess i'll be chased out of here being whipped with model trains, but seriously gently caress Hexen.

FirstPersonShitter, putting Hexen in its place better then any of us could.

You know, in the defence (Heh) of Hexen, when i played it using the mod Psychic, it got significantly better. Not perfect, but at least i didn't feel bored with my character. But hey, we have a FPS megathread for this. :getin:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hexen would be more fun if you had access to more weapons and such, but the core gameplay is a blast so whatever. It's also not a roguelike though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do you deal with those purple backstabbing assholes on the third floor? The only way I can see to attack them normally is digging into a wall so they chase you and get into range, but that's too slow when you're dealing with a screen of other monsters.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

victrix posted:

How do you deal with those purple backstabbing assholes on the third floor? The only way I can see to attack them normally is digging into a wall so they chase you and get into range, but that's too slow when you're dealing with a screen of other monsters.

You're talking necrodancer right? IMO those are the trickiest enemies in Zone 3. You generally have the right idea of how to kill them, see this vid: http://youtu.be/gR1lZUmHTIQ

If they're in back-stab mode, any beat-using move will bring them closer to you, that includes digging any wall, hitting any enemy, using war drums, switching holster weapon, etc. As you said, this can be hard to pull off with a bunch of other monsters on screen. The safest thing to do in that situation imo is to move in their direction so they move away from you, then deal with the other monsters, and clean up the goblins after.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, goblins can be jerks. The only safe ways to kill them are either to chase them into a corner and then use a weapon that can hit them without requiring you to stand adjacent to them (since then they'll hit you), or to lure them into stepping next to you by ramming your face into a corner or otherwise passing time without turning to face them. Note that grey goblins can only be safely killed with the lure method if you have an attack that does at least 2 damage.

However, it's usually possible to convince goblins to leave you alone while you deal with other enemies. They won't turn and start chasing you unless you move away from them; turning in place to attack a monster doesn't count. So you can keep them in "hide mode" most of the time and only deal with them once the rest of the level is empty.

The enemies in zone 3 that give me the most trouble are the beetles, which are tricky to approach with any non-dagger weapon, and the skeleton riders, which just take way too many hits to bring down. But really zone 3 is an excellent example of the game using lots of different enemies to get you to trip up. Individually they're all pretty straightforward to deal with; it's when they team up that you get into trouble.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But really zone 3 is an excellent example of the game using lots of different enemies to get you to trip up. Individually they're all pretty straightforward to deal with; it's when they team up that you get into trouble.

Yep, and add to that the ice/coal tiles everywhere, plus the level gen that often favors generating swarms around you, Zone 3 can be pretty tough. I think I read on their forums that they're planning to tone down zone 3 a bit when zone 4 comes out. I personally hope they don't tone it down too much, but getting rid of those big swarms surrounding you at level start would be pretty nice.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

madjackmcmad posted:

I played about an hour of it on stream, I enjoyed it, though I haven't really dove into it hardcore. Feels great for 5 bucks.

Harminoff if you like doing roguelike Let's Plays, you should sign up here for a Dungeonmans key! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R0oZ6b1cn9hmSNMkV-U-fqPY-WwJdJBKA6tUEYyIjjY/viewform

Nice, sent you my info!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What the gently caress, I did not know that DoomRL had cursed items :psyduck: RIP my first Ammochain marine, it was starting to look like he might be my first HNTR win but if I can win with this thing shackled to me it'll be a goddamn miracle.

Spoilers in case anyone doesn't want advance warning about this.

The Cybernetic Armour has great stats at the cost of a movespeed penalty, but cannot ever be removed. It does not self-repair, but also can't ever be fully destroyed. So once it gets down to 0% durability, you have a movespeed penalty, no armour, and can't take it off to replace it with something that isn't actively harmful.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's too bad DoomRL seems to have been shelved in favor of Jupiter Hell which seems to be complete vaporware.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress, I did not know that DoomRL had cursed items :psyduck: RIP my first Ammochain marine, it was starting to look like he might be my first HNTR win but if I can win with this thing shackled to me it'll be a goddamn miracle.

The Cybernetic Armour has great stats at the cost of a movespeed penalty, but cannot ever be removed. It does not self-repair, but also can't ever be fully destroyed. So once it gets down to 0% durability, you have a movespeed penalty, no armour, and can't take it off to replace it with something that isn't actively harmful.

The cybernetic armour is bad unless you're a technician because of how easy it is to get it stuck at 0% and have it weigh you down for the rest of the game. Technicians can mod it though so if you find an Onyx pack or a Nano pack you're golden.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's too bad DoomRL seems to have been shelved in favor of Jupiter Hell which seems to be complete vaporware.

Or it's in development and the dude isn't ready to show it off yet?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, I'm sure Kornel is busy with development, and when he announced it we all knew all his free projects would die, but the real kicker if if this new game isn't amazaballs, it's all for nothing. Remember Crimsonland?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Maybe. There was a big announcement a year ago and a kickstarter was supposedly 'coming soon' but there's been nothing since then.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Serephina posted:

Oh yea, I'm sure Kornel is busy with development, and when he announced it we all knew all his free projects would die, but the real kicker if if this new game isn't amazaballs, it's all for nothing. Remember Crimsonland?

DoomRL pushed me to make sure Dungeonmans felt smooth and fast. I worry a little that with JH being in fancily animated 3D the game will lose that punchiness.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe. There was a big announcement a year ago and a kickstarter was supposedly 'coming soon' but there's been nothing since then.

I am of the (worthless) opinion he tried to generate hype too soon. But he's actively working on the game!

You can follow him here: https://twitter.com/epyoncf

Here's a tweet showing some of his work on the renderer: https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/514494855595425796

Maybe he's not moving as fast as he'd have liked, but neither am I or a lot of small/solo developers. So it goes!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What about Crimsonland?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

What about Crimsonland?

It's great, that's what.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It died. Crimsonland was great, and the author stopped updating the second he thought he could get cash for a paid version. Cimsonland2 never happened, and later on he re-released the orig with minor updates. Years and years later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

What about Crimsonland?

Crimsonland is loving amazing. Too bad Crimsonland 2 never got anywhere.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I still got the steam remake for convenience (it has some good UI improvements at least) but yeah, Crimsonland 2 would be awesome.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The steam remake got rid of perks in the campaign mode and for that it's bad.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The steam remake got rid of perks in the campaign mode and for that it's bad.

You can get them back. Type GRIM in the pause menu.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Rogue Wizards needs 11k in 5 days. This game looks like it has a lot of promise, and the budget is realistic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/180322771/rogue-wizards-fantasy-role-playing-game-rpg

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Just made it to level 6 in Teleglitch and died to some massive minigun bot. Depleted uranium rounds from my machine gun didn't even put a dent to it. I had a teleport item, but you can bet your rear end I respawned in a chamber right next to the room I was killed in, and was again mown down in about a second after popping my head outside.

I had just spent my AP panzerfaust to a wall turret. Goddamn this game is hard!

I also took a peek as to what the level 3 start equipment is. I HAD MUCH MORE poo poo THAN THIS! Goddamn! Not even a tube detector!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Goddamn this game is hard!

Apparently it also stores the save on the Steam Cloud just to make certain you can't manually "savescum" (it's not clear to me that term necessarily applies here), because gently caress you for not wanting to Play It Properly. C'mon, guys, even the games you're homaging had cheat codes!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't you turn it off and still scum it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Personally I would much rather seen AliensRL and especially DiabloRL finished than a 3d remake of DoomRL that won't run on my laptop anyways.

But both of those projects have been abandoned for years and I've given up hope that he'll ever release the source code :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DoomRL with tiles took a really long time to get out, so I'd guess Jupiter will also.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's probably been talked about before, but is eldritch worth checking out? i'm late to the party but i want to pick up the latest humble bundle maybe. i've seen quite a few good reviews and i'm guessing it's had some updates since it was new.

(also i forgot that firstpersonshitter made that post about hexen but it does a really good job of summing up why people remember the game being better than it is)

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't you turn it off and still scum it?
Yes, just turn off cloud saving and it'll be on your hard drive if you want to back up your progress.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SnowblindFatal posted:

Just made it to level 6 in Teleglitch and died to some massive minigun bot. Depleted uranium rounds from my machine gun didn't even put a dent to it. I had a teleport item, but you can bet your rear end I respawned in a chamber right next to the room I was killed in, and was again mown down in about a second after popping my head outside.

I had just spent my AP panzerfaust to a wall turret. Goddamn this game is hard!

I also took a peek as to what the level 3 start equipment is. I HAD MUCH MORE poo poo THAN THIS! Goddamn! Not even a tube detector!

The checkpoint starts are kinda weird; one one hand, they are usually much lacking in hoarding compared to a player who's doing well, otoh sometimes they give oddities that you might not have by then normally. Personally, I use them not for "I'm going to win" runs, but rather training on the normal enemy spawns at that depth.

For the lvl6 boss, just keep plugging away at it with the heavy rifle or hv-ammo guns while running away and being ready to duck out of LoS when it fires. No real tricks to it, really. Also note that the heavy revolver (revolver + large tube + hardware iirc) is a super awesome upgrade over any of the heavy rifle varients and is good for boss fights.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's probably been talked about before, but is eldritch worth checking out? i'm late to the party but i want to pick up the latest humble bundle maybe. i've seen quite a few good reviews and i'm guessing it's had some updates since it was new.

(also i forgot that firstpersonshitter made that post about hexen but it does a really good job of summing up why people remember the game being better than it is)

Not really. Unless they really revamped the game since I last played Eldritch is a boring game with a really schizophrenic difficulty curve where most of the enemies will kill themselves somehow.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

AFAIK the Cybernetic Armour is the only item in the entire game that does that, and I don't feel bad about not putting it in spoilers because it really is kind of a bullshit item that seems out of place with most of the game's design ethos.

If you can put points in Tough as Nails, that'll help you greatly. Ammochain Marines are absurdly lethal so if you're lucky, pick your fights, and have overwhelming firepower you might actually still be able to win that. Fingers crossed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

AFAIK the Cybernetic Armour is the only item in the entire game that does that, and I don't feel bad about not putting it in spoilers because it really is kind of a bullshit item that seems out of place with most of the game's design ethos.

If you can put points in Tough as Nails, that'll help you greatly. Ammochain Marines are absurdly lethal so if you're lucky, pick your fights, and have overwhelming firepower you might actually still be able to win that. Fingers crossed.

I was not able to win that.

I decided to drown my sorrows by rolling up an Angel of Berserk and bump attacking things until I died. I finally saved and quit sometime after midnight as I was entering the Lava Pits. This is not only the best Angel of Berserk run I've had, but the best HNTR character of any kind. :stare: I skipped Hell's Arena and the Spider's Lair, and (obviously) The Wall and The Vaults, but on the other hand I cleared the Abyssal Plains, the Unholy Cathedral, and the Mortuary for the first time ever. I'm now cruising around with the Lance of Longinus and Red Cybernano Armour -- the Angelic Armour doesn't appear to be indestructable, so that's in reserve until the final boss.

I kind of screwed up skill allocation, not realizing that Hellrunner blocks Vampire, but Hellrunner is really drat good anyways, so I don't mind too much. Gottagofast :getin:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Personally I would much rather seen AliensRL and especially DiabloRL finished than a 3d remake of DoomRL that won't run on my laptop anyways.

But both of those projects have been abandoned for years and I've given up hope that he'll ever release the source code :(

I believe he has one or more helpers on DiabloRL at the least! I somewhat recall at least one talented Russian lady wading into the battle against the denizens of Hell...

Also it did get an update just last year, so that's good!

From the sub-board back in May of this year:

quote:

I think You is waiting on Kornel to implement some changes to the Valkyrie library before she can add more content to DiabloRL. But Kornel is currently up in his neck preparing stuff for Jupiter Hell, and so work output has been low. The third prime evil, Tavana, is uh, kinda out of action at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

I was not able to win that.

I decided to drown my sorrows by rolling up an Angel of Berserk and bump attacking things until I died. I finally saved and quit sometime after midnight as I was entering the Lava Pits. This is not only the best Angel of Berserk run I've had, but the best HNTR character of any kind. :stare: I skipped Hell's Arena and the Spider's Lair, and (obviously) The Wall and The Vaults, but on the other hand I cleared the Abyssal Plains, the Unholy Cathedral, and the Mortuary for the first time ever. I'm now cruising around with the Lance of Longinus and Red Cybernano Armour -- the Angelic Armour doesn't appear to be indestructable, so that's in reserve until the final boss.

I kind of screwed up skill allocation, not realizing that Hellrunner blocks Vampire, but Hellrunner is really drat good anyways, so I don't mind too much. Gottagofast :getin:

Cybernano armour cannot be removed AFAIK, which is unfortunate because Longinus + Angelic is the second best item set in the whole game; the armour's protection value increases to like 11 so it barely loses any durability anyway since it gives zero fucks about 95% of all attacks :shobon: cybernano is loving nuts though so no huge loss.

Berserker characters are amazing. They're hell to get off the ground sometimes, but once they get rolling, holy ungodly gently caress do they ever roll. There's very little more satisfying than wading through all the gunfire and hellfire in a victorious tide of bloody hand-to-hand carnage :black101: