Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Viggy Nash, Fremale "Elf", 3rd Felsite

Fogwall seemed like a good opportunity, a thriving insult to the nobility and the bureaucracy. Though I hold the law in high esteem, I can no longer ignore the rampant dishonesty plaguing dwarven politics.

That, and I unfortunately threatened to set a noble's son's alcohol stash on fire and was "banished" to Fogwall. No respect for good craftdwarfship, that boy.

But after trudging through the damp, foul smelling forest for days - I though I would get sick just breathing the drat air - the sight of the mountain was a sight worth smiling about, even in this forsaken, green wasteland, and I don't particularly like mountains either. I kept smiling cheerfully right up until I noticed the wall. And then the note. I took hold of an axe like everyone else, but what's the point? I do want to get into Fogwall, but cutting trees?

"Fine. I'll cut the trees, but only to get my revenge on them; drat what that so called overseer wants. drat trees looked like they wanted to fall over and crush us all the whole way through the forest and now I get to return the favor. No way they can fall on me if they've already been cut down and chopped into tiny pieces."

...so I said to myself. I ended up only cutting down one tree because any more's not worth the effort. Not like we outside the wall get anything out of cutting trees. Maybe I could start a party by the wall and just wait for the overseer to come to his senses as he watches us drink away the alcohol we'd been planning to share with the rest of the inhabitants. And it'll keep us fueled and fresh for when the Goblins attack. That is probably why the overseer's forcing us to play at being elves, after all, so we might as well be ready for it.

Not me though. I couldn't hurt a baby with my punches, though I could take quite a few punches. I'll leave that glory for those capable at fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This situation is the logical conclusion of Dwarven culture, for the record.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So here is the current situation.

This happens immediately after the migrants arrive. Like literally, less than an in game week after the last migrant, the goblins come.

Now, personally, I think it would be pretty lame to have the elf dwarves immediately die. I've reloaded the save dozens of times (unfortunately, with the coming of summer the autosave overwrote my only save of the game, so I can't actually go back any further than 3 days until goblins), and I have found exactly one way to save the elf dwarves that does not involve unwalling the fortress (which is, of course, entirely unthinkable). It's a little dumb and gamey, but involves no cheating besides foreknowledge of 1. that goblins are coming 2. they will all come from the other side of the river, and all in one huge group.

Before committing to my plan as the final fate for the fort, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you think this is against the spirit of the great Dwarf Fortress LP Tradition. I normally wouldn't reload for this kind of thing (losing is fun etc etc), but come on, those guys just got here. And I already went through the tedious work of getting all those personality screenshots so

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Before committing to my plan as the final fate for the fort, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you think this is against the spirit of the great Dwarf Fortress LP Tradition. I normally wouldn't reload for this kind of thing (losing is fun etc etc), but come on, those guys just got here. And I already went through the tedious work of getting all those personality screenshots so

Set up Auto-Backup and also save the elf-dwarves.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I know I would appreciate it if you at least make a good attempt at saving the elf-dwarves, but I did expect this outcome anyway.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

What's Caro the military dwarf doing? I haven't seen him about for a while, so maybe he's dead and I missed it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ninjewtsu posted:

Neither colony has access to picks, though the elf colony does have a trade advantage

You know, if goblins don't come and wipe them out first

Also! Some more migrants came while I was playing. I didn't realize that it takes them a full month before they're done coming in! More migrants have been added to the end of the update

Big waves of migrants take forever. I didn't think to check the dates when the mega wave came in. Guess it turns out what Dwarfs really want is to be elves!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I see you haven't dwarfed me yet my significant other. You are hereby consigned to mushrooms forever

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's always interesting to note family relations when new arrivals come in. They can often be pretty tragic.

For example, Pol Aron and Torrance are the parents of StrangeAeon, whose life Fogwall has already claimed. And Wentley is the son of Pyroi and Stringbean, who were both buried just last year :smith:

Also you do realize you've banished three legendary artifact creators :colbert:

and, effectively, Drakenel's newborn baby :stonk:

Here are the updated Records of Fogwall (late Spring 554)

edit: this post was a grammatical trainwreck, jesus

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 5, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
As far as I'm concerned the only kind of cheating that's bad for an overseer is if they're saying no to something a previous overseer did. Like if Veloxyll dug a secret caverns exit somewhere and a troll snuck in and I reloaded and walled that exit up, that'd be kind of a lovely -gently caress you- compared to the masterwork <<*gently caress You*>> that was given to me. (Pretty sure there was a secret caverns exit somewhere. No one snuck in it. I'm pretty sure it's below the lower wall now.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

diarmuidqq posted:

What's Caro the military dwarf doing? I haven't seen him about for a while, so maybe he's dead and I missed it.

He's been banished. Otherwise I haven't seen anything particularly noteworthy about him. Looks like he helped kill that troll? :shrug:

ninjewtsu posted:

And the Names of the Banished

Xun posted:

I see you haven't dwarfed me yet my significant other. You are hereby consigned to mushrooms forever

It's not my fault you're 217th in line!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

and, effectively, Drakenel's newborn baby :stonk:

Oh not just Drakenel's. There was an awful lot of military dwarves carrying babies. That good old fashioned Dwarven Body Armor at work, I suppose

Spanish Matlock posted:

As far as I'm concerned the only kind of cheating that's bad for an overseer is if they're saying no to something a previous overseer did. Like if Veloxyll dug a secret caverns exit somewhere and a troll snuck in and I reloaded and walled that exit up, that'd be kind of a lovely -gently caress you- compared to the masterwork <<*gently caress You*>> that was given to me. (Pretty sure there was a secret caverns exit somewhere. No one snuck in it. I'm pretty sure it's below the lower wall now.)

The mindset I've had is that cheating is only allowed if it makes things more interesting. So no reloading random deaths or whatever, that's all part of the story. But, for example, the good mayor's project had a number of problems with it (and still does, actually! Working on trying to figure out how to solve them without just having a do over. Fun Fact: Stephen can pretty high when he feels like it. Also hungry dwarves won't pull levers, even if there is nothing else for them to do and no food is available), and I went ahead and reloaded to fix that because none of the problems were interesting or funny. The end result was "well I guess another project room has to be dug out now. That's a week's worth of waiting down the drain, whoops."

Erecting a wooden wall at the bridge AFTER goblins show up just seemed too blatant for me to just go ahead with it without getting a consensus first though.

Elves are well known for their speedy construction skills

(Also the caverns were a mess that I just did not want to deal with. There was some 4 branching paths in there that I did not want to closely inspect for access. The wall is strategically placed so as to cut off all of them. The overseer who unwisely chooses to tear the wall down can figure that part out)

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Going to a foreign land (aboveground), fighting the enemies (Goblins) of a foreign people (Elves). Sounds like Caro to me. Now all we need for it to come full circle is for him to get captured by the Goblins and tossed in a cell to rot :>

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

But, for example, the good mayor's project had a number of problems with it (and still does, actually!

If I had been drawn from the overseer hat I was going to build one of these too and so I did my homework on it. Pretty sure one of the problems is Water needs to be at least 2 whole Z levels deep to draw a well from it. From what I see this one isn't, but moving the well one more Z up, demolishing the floor in the old well room then screw-pumping water into that level from the reservoir should fix it? .

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Amazing. My first goondorf, and I'm a baby that will be raised as an elf for the few days between my birth and my goblin related death.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

ninjewtsu posted:

Valiantman

:stare:

That's, like... wow. I don't look like that and I don't have muscles to speak of but that's downright uncanny. Even the age is almost perfect match.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Valiantman posted:

That's, like... wow. I don't look like that and I don't have muscles to speak of but that's downright uncanny.

You eat KUMQUATS? You monster!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Valiantman posted:

:stare:

That's, like... wow. I don't look like that and I don't have muscles to speak of but that's downright uncanny. Even the age is almost perfect match.

What do you have against blood gnats :colbert:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dashticle posted:

If I had been drawn from the overseer hat I was going to build one of these too and so I did my homework on it. Pretty sure one of the problems is Water needs to be at least 2 whole Z levels deep to draw a well from it. From what I see this one isn't, but moving the well one more Z up, demolishing the floor in the old well room then screw-pumping water into that level from the reservoir should fix it? .

Nah that isn't a problem. There's a well in the hospital that's only one deep that people are drinking from, so I don't think that's the issue.

The big problem right now is Stephen didn't bleed enough or something, so the lever needs to be pulled again. However, Nuramor is starving (I left him in there to force him to drink from the well) and as such refuses to do anything that isn't eating. Unlocking the door and releasing him, however, also releases Stephen, who apparently can climb out of the well)

diarmuidqq posted:

Going to a foreign land (aboveground), fighting the enemies (Goblins) of a foreign people (Elves). Sounds like Caro to me. Now all we need for it to come full circle is for him to get captured by the Goblins and tossed in a cell to rot :>

Caro isn't an ElfDwarf, he's a banished TrollDwarf. Along with the rest of the military of Fogwall, he's down in the caverns eating moss and punching trolls

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 5, 2014

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can't you dig a hole from above and drop some food down?

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Nah that isn't a problem. There's a well in the hospital that's only one deep that people are drinking from, so I don't think that's the issue.

The big problem right now is Stephen didn't bleed enough or something, so the lever needs to be pulled again. However, Nuramor is starving (I left him in there to force him to drink from the well) and as such refuses to do anything that isn't eating. Unlocking the door and releasing him, however, also releases Stephen, who apparently can climb out of the well)
It has to be "a pool" of blood directly beneath the well and it has to show up in the bucket as "water laced with." Certain contaminants, such as other people's blood, can mingle with the vampire blood and ruin it. Water flowing into/out of the well will dilute the bloodpool and also ruin it.

In my experience, the best way to draw blood from a vampire is to repeatedly drop them through a trapdoor into the well filled with spikes. It's a lot less complicated than rigging up a stabby mechanism and trying to get the vampire to hold still. And he'll want to wear a helmet for sure.

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 5, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Can't you dig a hole from above and drop some food down?

I've gotten food in there, but for some reason Nuramor is just broken or something. He refuses to do anything except stand over the water ramp made by the final flood channel, unless I unlock the doors. Some kind of food strike maybe?

In any case, I've found that if I quickly unlock the doors, wait for Nuramor to move (first thing he does is take a drink. Why couldn't he have done that before? :iiam:) then immediately lock the doors again, everything turns out alright.

More or less. Stephen leaves the well, then hops back in after the door locks.

Experiments are still ongoing. Not sure I can do an update tonight (if I do, it'll probably be on the short side), between fixing Stephen's project, the TrollDwarves finally reaching a point where they have the resources to do something besides scavenge for food, and the ElfDwarf situation, this has suddenly become very time consuming to get any in game time to pass at all!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if I'm just gonna chill out and cheerfully pep-talk everyone as they get swarmed.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Caro isn't an ElfDwarf, he's a banished TrollDwarf. Along with the rest of the military of Fogwall, he's down in the caverns eating moss and punching trolls

Ohh, right. Welp, less accurate but still funny.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ghostwoods posted:

You eat KUMQUATS? You monster!

Okay, almost everything. *googles kumquat*

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What do you have against blood gnats :colbert:

Everything. Who doesn't? :toughguy:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

1st Hematite

Summer has arrived!

A giant toad has found its way over to the Banished TrollDwarf colony. The TinkerToy orders the TrollDwarves to get their weapons and armor.

Toad never stood a chance

3rd Hematite

They must have been following the Elf Migrants.

The goblins appeared up on the north side of the river. The elves are totally defenseless! Using their refined, graceful, cat-like elf reflexes, they hastily construct a wall blocking off the bridge before the goblins can get across. As always, walls are the answer.

5th Hematite

It would appear that someone has brought Nuramor some food. How interesting.

Smelling food, Stephen Armstrong leaps out of the well

He hops right back in shortly after

9th Hematite

A Jabberer attacked a TrollDwarf. The TrollDwarves prepare to retaliate.

The jabberer proceeds to kill an elk bird with its big toe

Nuramor, in the meantime, starts pulling the awful spike lever again.

After Stephen starts screaming in pain, Nuramor stops. It seems Nuramor has pulled the lever a few too many times, and Stephen has had his ankle jammed and a fractured hand.

Also, his index finger flew off, up the well, and landed over here

Nuramor takes a moment to clean up the blood

Nuramor then reaches into the well, grabs the good mayor, and carts him off to the hospital.
The mayor, still conscious, decrees that the well in the hospital be dismantled, and that dwarves shall only drink from the well of his project now.

The trolldwarves, in the meantime, have been chasing after the jabberer, who runs away from them, overcome by terror.

Fat and Useless eventually catches up to the jabberer, immediately stabbing it through the head

The rest of the combat log that is cut off here is just another 3 attacks or so, and they’re all Fat and Useless slashing the gently caress out of that jabberer’s face

12th Hematite

The elfdwarves have begun militarization behind their wall. A small structure is being built to serve as the Mighty Elf Dwarf Fort. Crossbows and crossbow bolts are being carved from the plentiful wood. Mechanisms are being made out of the piles of rocks the fortress had left outside, to make traps out of, and large spiked balls are being carved out to give those traps a nasty bite. The herd of animals that was left outside by the fortress is being slaughtered, the animal skin being made into quivers and the animal bones made into crude armor.

The elfdwarves will not sit and wait forever. No help is coming for them until after the goblins are dead, and the elfdwarves know that.

------
Very short update today! Wanted to be able to get you guys SOMETHING by this evening.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have an explanation for that whole Nuramor/Armstrong/well debacle, that's apparently not over since Armstrong is forcing everyone to drink from "his" well?

Also if he is the vampire, this is pretty bad.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Does anyone have an explanation for that whole Nuramor/Armstrong/well debacle, that's apparently not over since Armstrong is forcing everyone to drink from "his" well?

Also if he is the vampire, this is pretty amazing.

FTFY.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What happens if everyone is a vampire?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ViggyNash posted:

Also if he is the vampire, this is pretty bad.

Nothing out of the ordinary happening here. It's all in his bio.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

I heard screamin' today. Aye, an' I weren't the only one. We all heard it, I reckon, them of us as are still inside this fortress, an' not... elsewhere.

Terrible it were, the scream, echoin' down the halls an' still ringin' in our minds long after it were over. We heard it, an' we looked around at each other, an'... we said nothin', an' we went back to work.

Be we cowards? Most likely, aye. But somethin' terrible is happenin' in our fortress, an' what's the point o' bravery in an old codger like me? I cannae fight an' I doubt any dwarf'd ever do what I tells 'em again, not after the year o' 551. An' I've got me kids to worry about. Can't very well look after them if I'm the next one screamin', now can I?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

VanSandman posted:

What happens if everyone is a vampire?

They all become really strong and hardy, and then slow to a not-even-a-crawl because they can't drink booze any more and nobody ever does anything ever again. Plus new arrivals and traders tend to get a rather shocking welcome.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
The rest of the combat log that is cut off here is just another 3 attacks or so, and they’re all Fat and Useless slashing the gently caress out of that jabberer’s face

Isn't that exactly the kind of stuff to include in DF lp? anyways looking forward to the real antics beginning for the elves

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Tyty, Dwarven Child, Hematite 9

There was a lot of yelling today. Then, in the hospital Mr. Mayor said everyone needed to drink from his well.

A lot of the grownups looked kinda worried about it. I'm just gonna drink the booze instead.

I don't want to sound mean but I don't really like Mr. Mayor. I dunno why.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Tyty posted:

Tyty, Dwarven Child, Hematite 9

There was a lot of yelling today. Then, in the hospital Mr. Mayor said everyone needed to drink from his well.

A lot of the grownups looked kinda worried about it. I'm just gonna drink the booze instead.

I don't want to sound mean but I don't really like Mr. Mayor. I dunno why.

avenge meeeee

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Nothing out of the ordinary happening here. It's all in his bio.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Is that his actual bio? Awesome.

This is turning out to be a great turn, thank you for the entertainment. Also, where did my dwarf end up? Barred inside the fort? She's kind of a loner.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Oh great I'm a female elf, at least the bio mostly matches me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lektor posted:

Isn't that exactly the kind of stuff to include in DF lp? anyways looking forward to the real antics beginning for the elves

:shrug: Seemed unnecessary for me to devote more than one image/make a larger image for that, unless something spectacular happened within the combat log. Maybe it's because I've read a billion DF combat logs and the excitement of "Urist stabs the Jabberer in the head, tearing the muscle and bruising the skull" 10 times in a row has worn off for me.

necrotic posted:

Is that his actual bio? Awesome.

This is turning out to be a great turn, thank you for the entertainment. Also, where did my dwarf end up? Barred inside the fort? She's kind of a loner.

No that is not his actual bio

necrotic is a DENIZEN OF THE WALL, and hasn't really done anything of interest to my knowledge. When I checked up on her she was bringing some Plump Helmets down into the dining room for dinner.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 8, 2014

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Maybe it's because I've read a billion DF combat logs and the excitement of "Urist stabs the Jabberer in the head, tearing the muscle and bruising the skull" 10 times in a row has worn off for me.

Yeah that's usually where you characterize the Dwarfs a little, describing how Fat and Useless went nuts and turned the jabberer's face into -finely sliced jabberer pastrami-

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

See it's also my job not to be a lazy rear end in a top hat and characterize my dwarf.

Her mentor is kinda stuck in a blood well and she just got dropped into these lovely caves with her newborn, I think you would stab the nearest thing in the face too.

gently caress it lets do it right...

9th of Hematite, 554

It has now been over a month now since we fell into this cavern, morale doesn't seem too bad considering what has happened. We are in no immediate danger but the possible state of the fortress is starting to nag at me. For all I know Armstrong is still flopping around in that pit and the fortress has probably been overrun by trolls and ogres without a military to scare away the goblins. Maybe some elves will show up and distract whatever decides to come looking for a fight. It pains me to say it but I took my frustration out upon a jabberer today, it offered no resistance but I smashed it in the head with my sword until it stopped moving anyhow. At least it was a quickish death...

There has to be some way back up... We lack the tools to dig. We lack the materials to build a structure up to the bridge, even if we did it's closed. Going deeper into the caves seems like a death wish but doing nothing is also going to lead to misfortune... I guess we could always get lucky and some drunk miner could accidentally dig a trash pit into the cavern. Wishful thinking...

I wonder what Idles is up to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Idles is standing around idle in the dining room

• Locked thread