Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, managed to unlock Chad as a boss by, what, beating Chub a load of times? When can I get Gish and in turn, my boy Little Gish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I read that they nerfed Dr Fetus, but god drat that much?! :psyboom:
They're so weak you can't even split a big spider with a single bomb, and some larger enemies take like 6+ bombs. I still managed to beat Demo Man on my first try somehow, but it certainly wasn't easy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a patch coming today for PC users. It'll hit the Playstation versions afterwards. I hope it's just bug fixes, changing the Brimstone sound, and no rebalancing.

Did anyone else notice that Lil' Brimstone uses a sound more like the old Brimstone? It's the only Brimstone-like effect in the game that doesn't use the ear-piercing new sound.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gotta say I thought the new music wouldn't be that great since I got too attached to the original's music, but god drat if that Caves music isn't perfect.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tafferling posted:

Theres'a surprising lack of reviews. It's really odd that they don't jump all over a remake of a game that sold millions of copies
I think some people aren't too keen on reviewing the dead baby humor poo poo and piss filled game.
Like, most people don't really care about that at all seeing how popular this is, and really you shouldn't, but most publications have a holier than thou attitude to this sorta stuff. Even though it's perfectly fine to dislike the aesthetic.
Bottom line is don't worry about that sorta stuff because you already know this is a good game.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

Apparently there is a patch coming today for PC users. It'll hit the Playstation versions afterwards. I hope it's just bug fixes, changing the Brimstone sound, and no rebalancing.

Did anyone else notice that Lil' Brimstone uses a sound more like the old Brimstone? It's the only Brimstone-like effect in the game that doesn't use the ear-piercing new sound.

Am I the only one who really likes the new Brimstone sound? Is everyone else playing using headphones or something? I also love the new Depths music so v:v:v

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

http://platinumgod.co.uk/dark-bum is a fairly accurate description of dark bum.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Got my second hardmode Satan win, on Samson this time. It was one of those runs where I didn't really get anything broken but my character was solid enough to somehow pull through anyway. I honestly expected to get wrecked but Samson was just too angry to die.

Got an ending I had already seen this time around so I guess now I need to keep beating up the heart a few more times. At least I got an unlock out of it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beasteh posted:

This belongs in the OP.

I hope the lil guy never gets nerfed.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Had a great Maggie run this morning. First item was Money=Power and I got an arcade on the second floor. Soon after I got that item that makes your tears powerful but really short ranged and the pony boss and that was able to carry me for a while. Then it started to get pretty insane as I got Toothpicks, Mutant Spider, and 3 guppy items and really started to shred things (the left hand is pretty nice.) Boss rush item was infestation 2 so I had this sea of flies and spiders that would jump out and melt bosses health. I think I ended the run with about 90 coins so the damage was completely nuts.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 7, 2014

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Oh god go combine antigravity tears and brimstone holy poo poo there's a blood black hole and then it fires holy poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

This belongs in the OP.

I hope the lil guy never gets nerfed.

Pretty sure McMillen hates fun (see: Original Brimstone, etc. vs. nerfed), so I'm going to be really sad when this cute fella goes from amazing to useless :(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beasteh posted:

I love this. I love Dark Bum.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Pretty sure McMillen hates fun (see: Original Brimstone, etc. vs. nerfed), so I'm going to be really sad when this cute fella goes from amazing to useless :(

Bisnap who was a beta tester said he talked to the devs about dark bum pre-release. They where aware that it's really strong and didn't seem to care.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Has anyone found out what the rainbow poo poo is for?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Speaking of broken things, I was playing coop with a friend and we got the Monkey Paw (I think), which gives you an evil heart when you're hurt in your last heart and it works for player 2. We then found a blood donation machine and used it to farm infinite evil hearts, which made that run pretty easy.

Then we were hit with the save game erasing bug.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The rainbow poop refills your healthbar.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Man, after a win streak of 5, I'm down with a lose streak of -11.

If I see another range upgrade, cursed eye, or magnet, I'm going to scream.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The "nerfed" brimstone is just harder to use, it's not actually weaker. You need to keep it over the target and let the beam naturally fade out, it does something like 6-8 ticks of damage.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Logan 5 posted:

Fire Mind is cool, killed that ghost boss in seconds.

e: does anyone know if not opening the red chest variant of the devil room counts as rejecting the devil deal?

I have opened red chests in a devil room and still gotten an angel room later, as well as picked up black hearts and still gotten an angel room. I think the only thing that counts as dealing with the devil is actually giving up hearts for an item.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cryohazard posted:

The "nerfed" brimstone is just harder to use, it's not actually weaker. You need to keep it over the target and let the beam naturally fade out, it does something like 6-8 ticks of damage.

If you leave it up the entire time it's arguably stronger because each tick has a chance to proc random tear effects like poison/fear/charm tears.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The evolution of brimstone

Brimstone + Quad Shot

Brimstone, Quad Shot, Loki's Horns, and Number One

Brimstone, Quad, Loki, Pee, and Tiny Planet I barely had to hold the button down for a charge

Bonus Brimstone + Tammy's Head

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One huge change I can appreciate: You can replay challenges after you beat them now. :unsmith:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Gotta say I thought the new music wouldn't be that great since I got too attached to the original's music, but god drat if that Caves music isn't perfect.

Cathedral music is real good

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

One huge change I can appreciate: You can replay challenges after you beat them now. :unsmith:

You couldn't before? I thought I remember replaying the Dr. Fetus one or something.

KingShiro posted:

The evolution of brimstone

Brimstone + Quad Shot

Unless it's just hard to notice, Brimstone doesn't seem to work with 20/20 (double shot) :(
But good to know it works with quad.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, got past the Purist, annoyingly one of the easier challenges, if you take your time and use everything given to you, so it took me nearly an hour, but at least I got a Rune! Yay? Well, I'll see what it's like, when I'm not getting Hagalaz all the time. I also thought I was going all the way to Isaac, so I kinda overcompensated and beat Mom's Heart pretty easily. Oh well, now the only challenges I have left are the bullshit ones I will hate every second of. Gotta get all the runes though! And some bonus trinkets! :suicide:

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Cathedral music is real good

I dunno what that guy is saying, but I love every second of it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So if I take soul heart damage, I miss out on the _Boy Achievements, right?

E: Yep.. such a good run and I took a hit because of those little worm things in the bouncing bubbles jumped at me and I couldn't dodge.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

HGH posted:

I think some people aren't too keen on reviewing the dead baby humor poo poo and piss filled game.
Like, most people don't really care about that at all seeing how popular this is, and really you shouldn't, but most publications have a holier than thou attitude to this sorta stuff. Even though it's perfectly fine to dislike the aesthetic.
Bottom line is don't worry about that sorta stuff because you already know this is a good game.

I know it's good, it's just really strange not to race to have an exclusive on a game that everybody seems to love.
Did the reviews for the first BoI took a long time before getting off?

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 7, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tafferling posted:

I know it's good, it's just really strange not to race to have an exlusive on a game that everybody seems to love.
Did the reviews for the first BoI took a long time before getting off?
Let's ask Edmund!

Edmumd posted:

We finished The Binding of Isaac after about three months of part-time development. We released it on Steam, and it was selling okay; for the first few weeks, the game was averaging about 100-200 copies a day, eventually stabilizing at about 150 a day after a few months. By this point, the game had already exceeded my expectations, but five months after release something very odd happened. Our daily average started to climb. 200 copies per day turned into 500 copies, then 1,000 copies, and by the seven-month mark Isaac was averaging sales of more than 1,500 copies a day and climbing. I couldn't explain it -- we hadn't put the game on sale or anything, so I was clueless as to why sales were continuing to grow.

Then I checked out YouTube, and I noticed that fans of the game were uploading Let's Play videos constantly -- over 100 videos every day, each getting tons of traffic. Isaac had found its fanbase, and that base was growing larger and larger. Not bad for a game that was meant to fail!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Beasteh posted:

"so what, this guy takes a few hearts and pops out a soul heart in exchange? that's a pretty swell- wait, every... every heart? really?"

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man, after a win streak of 5, I'm down with a lose streak of -11.

If I see another range upgrade, cursed eye, or magnet, I'm going to scream.

Yeah I'm on a bad streak trying to get a win with the blue baby. Can't seem to get any decent items with him.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Ok, how the hell do you unlock levels after The Womb?

Just beat the game a bunch? I just got the "Everything is Terrible" achievement for doing something

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mackers posted:

Ok, how the hell do you unlock levels after The Womb?

Just beat the game a bunch? I just got the "Everything is Terrible" achievement for doing something

If you have sufficiently high Sin or Faith, a portal to the final floors will appear after Mom's Heart. If you manage to get a random devil/god room (or force one to appear with the goat head/joker card/a red chest teleport) after Mom's Heart is dead they will also have the portal.

If you don't like RNG, both portals will appear consistently after you trigger It Lives! on your 10th heart kill.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

"so what, this guy takes a few hearts and pops out a soul heart in exchange? that's a pretty swell- wait, every... every heart? really?"

The thing's not quite as crazy on hard mode since hearts drops are pretty drat rare, even with a Child's Heart I didn't have max hearts against Satan.

That said I wouldn't mind it getting nerfed a bit since it's not powerful in a way that's particularly fun or interesting.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kanfy posted:

Got my second hardmode Satan win, on Samson this time. It was one of those runs where I didn't really get anything broken but my character was solid enough to somehow pull through anyway. I honestly expected to get wrecked but Samson was just too angry to die.

Got an ending I had already seen this time around so I guess now I need to keep beating up the heart a few more times. At least I got an unlock out of it.

You get the same ending every time you beat Satan, but you still unlock the next Mom's Heart ending in the sequence - it should be available for viewing under Stats in the main menu.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Brimstone + Tiny Planet is so loving fun. I got into Boss Rush with that and completely loving destroyed it.

Honestly the hardest part of Boss Rush was seeing and avoiding those hurty pink poops. gently caress those things.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Probably not the best time to see what the Card Against Humanity does. Especially with the Suicide King challenge...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

You get the same ending every time you beat Satan, but you still unlock the next Mom's Heart ending in the sequence - it should be available for viewing under Stats in the main menu.

Yeah, I know. It's a bit of an awkward way to do it though, I wish the ending list at least showed which ending is which especially since most endings start the exact same way.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Wugga posted:

Probably not the best time to see what the Card Against Humanity does. Especially with the Suicide King challenge...

Is part of the Challenge not having a health bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Earlier I beat Mom's Heart as ???. I got coal, then I saw tiny planet and wondered if it would work. Yes it did. And then I got spoon bender and all I had to do was concentrate on dodging. Mom's Heart died in a matter of seconds once I killed the eyes she spawns with.

Then I tried the suicide king challenge and well that is one accurately named challenge.