Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kin posted:

I have now.

I watched a few of those Walking Dead videos and hopes things would be a fair bit different if you were a unresponsive, but the final one seemed to play out exactly the same as my playthrough.

Did Wolf Among Us improve on this at all, like did it have any impact on significant decisions at the end?
Outcomes not really. The dialogues in the finale can have significant differences though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
To be honest, these new Telltale "games" are really nothing more than extremely polished Visual Novels with a few quick time events thrown in.
I enjoyed both the first season of Walking Dead and Wolf, especially Dead had some really good writing, but I'll probably not get another one as they are just not that interesting compared to classic adventures in my opinion.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Fart of Presto posted:

To be honest, these new Telltale "games" are really nothing more than extremely polished Visual Novels with a few quick time events thrown in.
I enjoyed both the first season of Walking Dead and Wolf, especially Dead had some really good writing, but I'll probably not get another one as they are just not that interesting compared to classic adventures in my opinion.

I did feel like i spotted the shallowness of the system when playing Wolf. Like, for a lot of dialogue options, it felt obvious that whatever i chose was inconsequential and that whatever "influence" i was indicated in having would simply play a part in a hugely telegraphed "moral siding plot point" at the end of the game.

I've not started season 2 of TWD yet, but i hope that the decisions/responses you make in that are a lot more subtle because i really like the game style and the stories are quite interesting, but unless they start making the repercussions of your decisions (and thus possible story paths) much more reactive and divergent then I think these types of games will quickly start to become stale as the gimmick wears off.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SaviourX posted:

Pretty sure I won at Steam, guys. Wrap it all up.

I had a similar problem briefly last year. Really surprised me, since I was living in a house with 2 megabit internet at the time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Kin posted:

TWD/Wolf Among Us
I can see where you're coming from, but I specifically like these games because long term plot forks aren't a huge concern. By focusing on immediate and relatively small scale reactions, it's basically about fleshing out how your character reacts and how others see him or her. Even the bits that ultimately don't matter at all are used to create specific impressions on the player to heighten tension or fool you into thinking a character is going to be around longer than they are. There's a lot of super clever design within the system they made.

Plenty of games already go for big decisions and (to me at least) never come close to feeling as absorbing. I can see why this genre wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it doesn't seem any more or less valid than any other sort of game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but I specifically like these games because long term plot forks aren't a huge concern. By focusing on immediate and relatively small scale reactions, it's basically about fleshing out how your character reacts and how others see him or her. Even the bits that ultimately don't matter at all are used to create specific impressions on the player to heighten tension or fool you into thinking a character is going to be around longer than they are. There's a lot of super clever design within the system they made.

Plenty of games already go for big decisions and (to me at least) never come close to feeling as absorbing. I can see why this genre wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it doesn't seem any more or less valid than any other sort of game.

Yeah, exactly this for me. I like that in the Walking Dead, certain events are always going to happen because that's part of the story, but the part that I get to control is how Lee reacts to it. Which means that I both get to like Lee even more because his motivations are my motivations, but also because having full control over the events in a story tends to make that story a little boring.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I can see why this genre wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it doesn't seem any more or less valid than any other sort of game.
Oh absolutely, which is also why I'd rather classify it as Visual Novel than Adventure (in the traditional sense), as the genre itself is really great for telling good stories, as TWD 1 is a perfect example of.
I guess I just really miss when Telltale made classic point-and-click adventures, as they really nailed the episodic thing and gave us a few hours of fun classic adventure gaming once a month.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, those games are next-gen visual novels and I'd play more of this genre if other visual novels were like this.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I seem to hear a lot of people getting keys to Road Redemption in this thread. Is there any way to get in on that? I want to play some modern Road Rash.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I seem to hear a lot of people getting keys to Road Redemption in this thread. Is there any way to get in on that? I want to play some modern Road Rash.
The developer friends you on Steam out of the blue and gives you a key. It's not something you sign up to.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
so I just checked my block list, and jeez drat I get a lot of phishing attempts

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Captain*MeoW^^ is a persistent fucker. I see him 9 times there and I've had the pleasure of getting friend requests from him several times.

As I'm not into trading at all, my main rule for any friend request is: Not in the SA Goon group = automatic ignore.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fart of Presto posted:

Captain*MeoW^^ is a persistent fucker. I see him 9 times there and I've had the pleasure of getting friend requests from him several times.

As I'm not into trading at all, my main rule for any friend request is: Not in the SA Goon group = automatic ignore.

I'm an exclusive member of the Fart Of Presto's friendlist. Ladies~ :c00l:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 8, 2014

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

What makes some people so attractive to phishers? In all my years on Steam I've had maybe 2 or 3 people I don't know try to add me as a friend.

(It's because even scammers don't want to interact with me, isn't it?)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rage McDougal posted:

What makes some people so attractive to phishers? In all my years on Steam I've had maybe 2 or 3 people I don't know try to add me as a friend.

(It's because even scammers don't want to interact with me, isn't it?)

Well if you have an expensive TF2 item in your inventory that has been set to public the phishers and scammers could make a ton of money off of you.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fart of Presto posted:

since then and now:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Morter posted:

I'mm an exclusive member of the Fart Of Presto's friendlist. Ladies~ :c00l:

Well, *I* avenged his death at the hands of an Orc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is all you have to do to avoid scammers adding you. Unless you are being targeted by a specific one who knows who you are and what you got, in that case, welp.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Darkhold posted:

It varies a bit depending on class but here's a quick breakdown
Normal: Crazy easy. Pointless unless you're using it to grind something out.
Hard: pretty much 'normal' difficulty. You have to pay a little attention to gear/build but not much.
Expert: you have to stay on top of the gear curve or have a few legacy items/paragon levels. Not because you'll die but because monsters will take forever to kill.
Master: Without decent gear and legacy items/paragon levels everything takes too long to kill and this is the first level that will really punish you for lack of gear by killing you.
Torment 1: This is the start of the endgame.

Hitpoints inflate way more than damage in this game so time to kill is a bigger deal than getting one shot by mobs in the lower levels.

Ugh, I was afraid of that.
loving hate bullet sponges, it seems like such a cheap way to inflate difficulty.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Palpek posted:

It's kind of ironic that Valve is developing DOTA 2 while Blizzard created a Team Fortress 2 clone/successor. I'm also betting it's a pretty big deal for Valve because their game couldn't be threatened by anybody but a miracle like Blizzard entering FPS market.

Maybe I'm wrong but Blizzard doesn't seem to carry the weight that they used to. It used to be, if Blizzard released a game everyone would loving love it. For a while they actually had a reputation of no bad games, in fact they were all classics. Now they haven't released a single thing that I have enjoyed since World of Warcraft. If I hear a game is by Blizzard, I can all but guarantee I won't like it at all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but Blizzard doesn't seem to carry the weight that they used to. It used to be, if Blizzard released a game everyone would loving love it. For a while they actually had a reputation of no bad games, in fact they were all classics. Now they haven't released a single thing that I have enjoyed since World of Warcraft. If I hear a game is by Blizzard, I can all but guarantee I won't like it at all.

"I personally haven't liked the last few Blizzard games therefore they are declining as a company as a whole despite still pulling in amazing sale numbers."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ah yes, sales numbers. The objective metric of quality. Pardon me for a moment, I'm going to go play the greatest game of all time, Candy Crush Saga.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They release well made and fun games still but I stopped looking forward to story continuations for sequels ever since Starcraft 2.
Chris Metzen needs to be thrown off of a cliff for retconning Brood War, ruining Kerrigan and Raynor, and the insanely nauseating hero masturbation of Diablo 3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Metzen needs to be fired as head writer (he can stay as an artist/designer even if his style is rather generic.)

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Ugh, I was afraid of that.
loving hate bullet sponges, it seems like such a cheap way to inflate difficulty.
In this case they actually have a reason. They decided making people focus on DPS instead of tanking would make the game funner than *dump everything into VIT* problem DII had. So upping difficulty will make the monster's HP go up fast. Here's the old chart (not sure if it's been tweaked by patches or not).

Normal: 100% Health, 100% Damage, 0% extra gold bonus, 0% extra XP bonus
Hard: 200% Health, 130% Damage, 75% extra gold bonus, 75% extra XP bonus
Expert: 320% Health, 189% Damage, 100% extra gold bonus, 100% extra XP bonus
Master: 512% Health, 273% Damage, 200% extra gold bonus, 200% extra XP bonus
Torment I: 819% Health, 396% Damage, 300% extra gold bonus, 300% extra XP bonus
Torment II: 1311% Health, 575% Damage, 400% extra gold bonus, 400% extra XP bonus
Torment III: 2097% Health, 833% Damage, 550% extra gold bonus, 550% extra XP bonus
Torment IV: 3355% Health, 1208% Damage, 800% extra gold bonus, 800% extra XP bonus
Torment V: 5369% Health, 1752% Damage, 1150% extra gold bonus, 1150% extra XP bonus
Torment VI: 8590% Health, 2540% Damage, 1600% extra gold bonus, 1600% extra XP bonus

Leveling up to 70 is where the real difficulty curve is. Elites will get more affixes and abilities and become the real bosses of the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Darkhold posted:

In this case they actually have a reason. They decided making people focus on DPS instead of tanking would make the game funner than *dump everything into VIT* problem DII had. So upping difficulty will make the monster's HP go up fast. Here's the old chart (not sure if it's been tweaked by patches or not).

Normal: 100% Health, 100% Damage, 0% extra gold bonus, 0% extra XP bonus
Hard: 200% Health, 130% Damage, 75% extra gold bonus, 75% extra XP bonus
Expert: 320% Health, 189% Damage, 100% extra gold bonus, 100% extra XP bonus
Master: 512% Health, 273% Damage, 200% extra gold bonus, 200% extra XP bonus
Torment I: 819% Health, 396% Damage, 300% extra gold bonus, 300% extra XP bonus
Torment II: 1311% Health, 575% Damage, 400% extra gold bonus, 400% extra XP bonus
Torment III: 2097% Health, 833% Damage, 550% extra gold bonus, 550% extra XP bonus
Torment IV: 3355% Health, 1208% Damage, 800% extra gold bonus, 800% extra XP bonus
Torment V: 5369% Health, 1752% Damage, 1150% extra gold bonus, 1150% extra XP bonus
Torment VI: 8590% Health, 2540% Damage, 1600% extra gold bonus, 1600% extra XP bonus

Leveling up to 70 is where the real difficulty curve is. Elites will get more affixes and abilities and become the real bosses of the game.

Holy crap, can't believe gold and xp go up instead of down, I would think you'd get to 70 pretty quick at that rate?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

socialsecurity posted:

"I personally haven't liked the last few Blizzard games therefore they are declining as a company as a whole despite still pulling in amazing sale numbers."

He's not wrong about how they're perceived though.

Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo set them as a legendary company, but their modern sequels haven't generally been considered up to the same standard as the pedestaled originals.

Don't get me wrong, i really like their games, but i can see that Blizzard aren't held as in high regard as they used to, especially when they keep their games expensive as gently caress.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Holy crap, can't believe gold and xp go up instead of down, I would think you'd get to 70 pretty quick at that rate?
If you have someone that can carry you in T6 you can hit 60 in roughly an hour and 70 in about 1 1/2 hours or so.

If you've already gotten yourself some good legacy gems and paragon levels you can solo T1 and get there in about 4-5 hours though 65-70 is a painful slog no matter what. No good gear and you know you'll be trashing anything you get the first 70 drops you see.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deakul posted:

Someone can power level you from 1 to 70 in a couple hours or less.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

It's kind of ironic that Valve is developing DOTA 2 while Blizzard created a Team Fortress 2 clone/successor. I'm also betting it's a pretty big deal for Valve because their game couldn't be threatened by anybody but a miracle like Blizzard entering FPS market.

I'm fine with it, Valve needs a kick in the rear end from time to time. I was really disappointed that they didn't at least announce L4D3 or something this year. I haven't seen much of SteamOS or SteamBox crap lately either. Not sure what the hell is going on over there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Looks like the team behind Left 4 Dead went to go make a game called Evolve. I hear it's good, but I don't know because it requires a DX11 card and I'm still stuck in DX9 land.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Kin posted:

He's not wrong about how they're perceived though.

Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo set them as a legendary company, but their modern sequels haven't generally been considered up to the same standard as the pedestaled originals.
This is the same song you always hear about long running companies though. Heck I've heard it for decades now.

Starcraft? Pfft just Warcraft 2 in space. They're losing their edge.
DII? Just not as good as DI.
Warcraft III? God they suck now. Why aren't they making Starcraft 2?
World of Warcraft? OMG! They'll never make another singleplayer game again.
Starcraft 2? Multiple building select??? They've ruined the micro game. It's just for casuals now.
DIII? This game is so boring! DII is the superior game. Let me get out this flowchart to explain why...

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they're not flawed and certainly each of these games have huge glaring insane issues but right now there's some other 13 year old that's just fired up DIII for the first time and 10 years down the line will explain to you in great detail about how DVII shows that Blizzard just isn't the same company anymore and games were better back in '14.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Darkhold posted:

This is the same song you always hear about long running companies though. Heck I've heard it for decades now.

Starcraft? Pfft just Warcraft 2 in space. They're losing their edge.
DII? Just not as good as DI.

Nobody has ever said these things.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It took me ages to figure out why I'd get random friend requests from eastern europeans, and only then because one of them asked in broken english if I played TF2. Turns out I had a small stash of early promo items, nothing really worth more than ten or fifteen bucks in total, but making my inventories private cut down on those contacts dramatically.

I'd have probably enjoyed TWD a lot more if the marketing had sold it as a next-generation visual novel and not some impossibly adaptive script. I knew it wasn't, but I'd have gone in expecting VN-level writing. Being able to feed Clementine to a passing zombie would have helped, too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

I dunno why you'd say that when I remember it from message boards back in the day. There was even some amusing posts on SA where people went and dug up some old DII posts from various boards ranting about how DII destroyed the series. It was interesting to see how close some of the same complaints were just the same old complaints with a new coat of paint.

As for Starcraft you do know when it was first debuted everyone said that it was just Warcraft in space and was so disliked that Blizzard scraped the original engine right? Even after release people were still leveling that complaint against it. There's even an easter egg in Brood War where (Arturus? whatever his name was) will say 'It's not Warcraft in space! It's much more complicated than that!'

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

I for one remember a ton of people complaining how diablo 2 wasn't as good as diablo 1. Granted it was just random people at high school at the time but still.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Darkhold posted:

If you have someone that can carry you in T6 you can hit 60 in roughly an hour and 70 in about 1 1/2 hours or so.

If you've already gotten yourself some good legacy gems and paragon levels you can solo T1 and get there in about 4-5 hours though 65-70 is a painful slog no matter what. No good gear and you know you'll be trashing anything you get the first 70 drops you see.

Top quality rubies can carry you pretty easily to level 55 Torment 1/2/3. Legendary gems like the poison one helps a bunch too.

But the most hilarious thing is to use reduced requirement level 70 legendary mainhands.

Also 65-70 is a 'slog' but it's still better than the T1->T6 grind.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tezzeract posted:

Also 65-70 is a 'slog' but it's still better than the T1->T6 grind.

If you're doing it by yourself, maybe, but between stuff like split bounty farming and the ability for people to pull your bloodied corpse through T6 rifts I had fun gearing my WD up to be T6 capable. :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

You overestimate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!