Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Picked this up today. Smells and tastes amazing. I haven't really gotten into the heavily peated single malts before.

Benriach's peated stuff is great. I'd say it comes across a little more complex than Laphroaig 10 just because it has the uncommon peated speyside combo.

Definitely recommend their other peated stuff if you like it, the Septendecim is really interesting and the sherry, rum & madeira finishes they did, whilst odd, are great, the rum one tastes like peated cocopops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

radthibodaux posted:

I actually haven't had a rye before but I'm open to trying it out. I just wish there was a cost effective way of sampling whiskies. Maybe I can find a local bar that serves it.

If you've drank Bulleit, you have a good idea though, it's pretty rye-y

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Smooth Ambler Old Scout is probably my favorite rye-forward bourbon. It basically tastes like a rye (unlike, somehow, Bulleit Rye)

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Spuckuk posted:

If you've drank Bulleit, you have a good idea though, it's pretty rye-y

Well they have a rye and a non-rye. I got the non-rye one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

radthibodaux posted:

Well they have a rye and a non-rye. I got the non-rye one.

The non-rye 'standard bourbon' variety of it still has a pretty high rye content iirc.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

That Works posted:

The non-rye 'standard bourbon' variety of it still has a pretty high rye content iirc.

Looks like you are correct, the mash is 28% rye (source). Another interesting tidbit, it's actually produced at the Four Roses distillery.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

radthibodaux posted:

Looks like you are correct, the mash is 28% rye (source). Another interesting tidbit, it's actually produced at the Four Roses distillery.

This is actually really, really common in the industry. A lot of the smaller producers don't do their own distilling--they take the white dog from someone like MGP and then do the aging/bottling. Ryes are especially prone to this, probably because they don't have the requirements that bourbons do. Check your bottle--it may say something like "distilled in Indiana, bottled in __"--that means it probably was distilled by these guys and then trucked to the "distiller." Bit more information here.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
After really enjoying a bottle of Laphroaig 10, I bought a bottle of QC and like it even more, but drat, the difference between 40 and 49% is not insignificant.

I'm also struggling to finish a bottle of Caol Ila 12, I find it boring and pale.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Armed Neutrality posted:

After really enjoying a bottle of Laphroaig 10, I bought a bottle of QC and like it even more, but drat, the difference between 40 and 49% is not insignificant.

I'm also struggling to finish a bottle of Caol Ila 12, I find it boring and pale.

Pale how?

Because the colour of a spirit is not a strong indicator of it's flavour intensity.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

spankmeister posted:

Pale how?

Because the colour of a spirit is not a strong indicator of it's flavour intensity.

No you're absolutely right of course, and I'm embarassed to admit it, but the fact that it's pale affects my perception of it. Is that partially why I find it sort of bland compared to Lagavulin or Laphraoig? Maybe..

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

radthibodaux posted:

Yes, yes it is. And Four Roses makes good stuff. They have two mashbills and five yeast strains, resulting in ten recipes. Most of their bourbons along with Bulleit are a marriage of those recipes, so ~28% sounds about right. I heartily recommend trying the different recipes on their own in the form of "private selection" single barrel bottlings.

One additional note. There are rumblings that Diageo may eventually bring the Stitzel-Weller Distillery out of mtohballs, and that Bulleit's distillate production will move there instead of being outsourced.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 5, 2014

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

two_beer_bishes posted:

gently caress that, I just paid $28 for a bottle two days ago.

I was mistaken. It's actually on sale right now only $16 for 750 mL right now, even less if you buy a bunch. I think the price would be the same in all stores so, if you're in the US and have a Safeway nearby, might be worth going and stocking up on a few bottles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tolan posted:

This is actually really, really common in the industry. A lot of the smaller producers don't do their own distilling--they take the white dog from someone like MGP and then do the aging/bottling. Ryes are especially prone to this, probably because they don't have the requirements that bourbons do. Check your bottle--it may say something like "distilled in Indiana, bottled in __"--that means it probably was distilled by these guys and then trucked to the "distiller." Bit more information here.

This was brought up before and IIRC the Bulleit Rye is from the big Indiana distillery whereas the 'regular' Bulleit is not.

Either way I quite like their standard offering and it's my current go to for bourbon on the rocks or for cocktails.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just got an email a few minutes ago from my local liquor store that they're going to be selling Pappy this Friday on a first come first serve basis at one bottle per customer. $222 for 23 year, $126 for 20, and $68 for 15.

I'm seriously considering this cause I figure I could just gouge the price up on Craigslist to some sucker if I change my mind.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

That Works posted:

This was brought up before and IIRC the Bulleit Rye is from the big Indiana distillery whereas the 'regular' Bulleit is not.

Either way I quite like their standard offering and it's my current go to for bourbon on the rocks or for cocktails.

Yeah, it's becoming more common knowledge, but it's surprising just how many of the major craft brands out there are coming from the same source. Just goes to show how important the aging and flavoring process is in the whole thing. Angel's Envy, the High West stuff, the (really good) Willet 2 & 6 year ryes.. all coming from the same distiller.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just got an email a few minutes ago from my local liquor store that they're going to be selling Pappy this Friday on a first come first serve basis at one bottle per customer. $222 for 23 year, $126 for 20, and $68 for 15.

I'm seriously considering this cause I figure I could just gouge the price up on Craigslist to some sucker if I change my mind.

What city/state are you in? Still contemplating trying to hunt it down. Apparently it will hit Michigan "sometime next week".

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Speaking of ryes, what's everyone's favorite bottle at or under the $50 mark? I don't know much about them but I've been loving Rittenhouse lately and I'd like to add something different (but still good, of course) to my collection.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
God reading these American prices kills me. You guys have got it so cheap.

Picked up a bottle of Bowmore Legend this week because it was the cheapest (still $AU60) Islay at the bottle shop, cant say I'm too impressed. My pallet isn't quite developed enough to say what exactly I don't like. It just tasted unrefined, which I guess is to be expected from a spirit that's pretty young compared the classic Islay whiskies I usually like. Would've loved to get a Laphroaig or even a Talisker but I'm a broke student and dropping $80 on a bottle of whisky means I don't eat for a week.

Luckily I work a bar with a massive selection of whiskies and a 50% staff discount so life isn't too bad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Speaking of ryes, what's everyone's favorite bottle at or under the $50 mark? I don't know much about them but I've been loving Rittenhouse lately and I'd like to add something different (but still good, of course) to my collection.
I haven't tried a lot, but I really enjoy the High West Double Rye.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Picked up a bottle of Bowmore Legend this week because it was the cheapest (still $AU60) Islay at the bottle shop, cant say I'm too impressed. My pallet isn't quite developed enough to say what exactly I don't like. It just tasted unrefined, which I guess is to be expected from a spirit that's pretty young compared the classic Islay whiskies I usually like. Would've loved to get a Laphroaig or even a Talisker but I'm a broke student and dropping $80 on a bottle of whisky means I don't eat for a week.

Luckily I work a bar with a massive selection of whiskies and a 50% staff discount so life isn't too bad.

Are the Japanese whiskies any cheaper over there?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

radthibodaux posted:

I was mistaken. It's actually on sale right now only $16 for 750 mL right now, even less if you buy a bunch. I think the price would be the same in all stores so, if you're in the US and have a Safeway nearby, might be worth going and stocking up on a few bottles.

Long Island, I'm just used to being screwed out here. I'll see if there is a safeway around here, thanks the tip.

edit: there isn't, I guess I'll just deal with getting screwed on booze

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I've always enjoyed my whisky neat, and am looking for a recommendation for a "smooth" as possible whisky to introduce friends to the joys of pouring raw alcohol into your mouth. Ideas?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

That Works posted:

Are the Japanese whiskies any cheaper over there?

I recently paid 99 dollars Australian for 700ml of Yamazaki 12 year old

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

terre packet posted:

I've always enjoyed my whisky neat, and am looking for a recommendation for a "smooth" as possible whisky to introduce friends to the joys of pouring raw alcohol into your mouth. Ideas?

For American whiskeys, try a wheater - Weller Reserve if you can find it, Makers 46 if you can't. For Scotch, try Balvenie Doublewood. For something different, Tullamore 10 Single Malt or Yamazaki 12.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

For American whiskeys, try a wheater - Weller Reserve if you can find it, Makers 46 if you can't. For Scotch, try Balvenie Doublewood. For something different, Tullamore 10 Single Malt or Yamazaki 12.

Thank you very much for these suggestions. I love Balvenie DW and look forward to trying the rest. 😊

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I also find other Irish whiskys like Redbreast and Green Spot to be extremely smooth. Connemara I've liked in particular since it still has some peat to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It was Pappy Day today and the line wrapped around the building by the time I got there at 6am with tons of tents up front and the parking lot 50% to 75% full so I just went to work :(

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was Pappy Day today and the line wrapped around the building by the time I got there at 6am with tons of tents up front and the parking lot 50% to 75% full so I just went to work :(

Wow, that's insane. I don't blame you for not bothering. There's plenty of great bourbons out there that you don't have to wait in long lines for.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Virginia Pappy Info here.

A year or so ago I was told that the ABC stores stopped keeping a list for all Pappy bottles. However, I spoke to the manager at my store a few nights ago and the lists still exist but not for the 20 and 23 year. My store got 75 bottles.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wow, that's insane. I don't blame you for not bothering. There's plenty of great bourbons out there that you don't have to wait in long lines for.

Yeah, I didn't care too much. If I could have gotten there any thought I could buy a bottle of 15/23 and leave in a reasonable time then that would have been cool, but eh I'm not gonna camp out over a bottle f whisky.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008

The Slippery Nipple posted:

60 bucks for a bottle you don't like, or another 1 hours worth of pay for a bottle you know is good? The best thing about working in a whisky bar is being able to try a huge range for free (at least we were allowed to straw any whisky we wanted, otherwise how do you sell it?).

As an aside, I visited Bowmore recently having never been a huge fan and was really impressed. Their travel exclusives were great if anyone gets a chance to get a hold of the Blackrocks it was awesome, really individual and different.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A few months ago, my mom went overseas and got me a bottle of Aberlour 12 (she doesn't know much about whisky, so she bought something that was inexpensive). Right now, I have both the regular Bulleit and Bulleit rye, Lagavulin 12, and Forty Creek Copper Pot (which is surprisingly delicious), and I find the Aberlour 12 to be... disappointing. It's not bad, and I'm not sorry that I have it, but I feel like there should be more.

I mean, I've had bad whisky before, but this was the first time that I wished there was more to a glass.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm normally a bourbon drinker, but I was given a bottle of Glenlivet 15 year French oak reserve single malt. How is this for an introductory scotch? Do I just enjoy with an ice cube or a splash of water? I can count on one hand the number of times I've had scotch.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm normally a bourbon drinker, but I was given a bottle of Glenlivet 15 year French oak reserve single malt. How is this for an introductory scotch? Do I just enjoy with an ice cube or a splash of water? I can count on one hand the number of times I've had scotch.

It's a very good introductory scotch. Good quality (although a little oaky for my taste) and a well-balanced highland malt. Glenlivet is how a lot of people get into single malts.

Try it neat first.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Glenlivet is a Speyside malt. Definitely agree that it's an excellent introduction. Just a couple drops of water might also wake up some of the flavors in the spirit.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

A few months ago, my mom went overseas and got me a bottle of Aberlour 12 (she doesn't know much about whisky, so she bought something that was inexpensive). Right now, I have both the regular Bulleit and Bulleit rye, Lagavulin 12, and Forty Creek Copper Pot (which is surprisingly delicious), and I find the Aberlour 12 to be... disappointing. It's not bad, and I'm not sorry that I have it, but I feel like there should be more.

I mean, I've had bad whisky before, but this was the first time that I wished there was more to a glass.

If you're used to strong stuff like Bulleit and Lagavulin, then a lighter, more subtle whisky like Aberlour probably would strike you as disappointing. I've never tried the 12, but I have a bottle of Aberlour 16 in my cabinet and it's lovely, albeit lacking in the punchy flavors you're probably expecting. I strongly urge you to give it another try.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength one of those limited things where if it's out, the shop generally won't be able to get it back in?

It sold out at my local store just a few days before I went to pick it up. The clerk didn't really know too well, but I plan to check with the manager later.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got a corked bottle of Eagle Rare at BevMo last week. One sniff of the cork and I was all :barf:

No probs taking it back (of course I tried some first just to "make sure" blah). It does happen.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

If you're used to strong stuff like Bulleit and Lagavulin, then a lighter, more subtle whisky like Aberlour probably would strike you as disappointing. I've never tried the 12, but I have a bottle of Aberlour 16 in my cabinet and it's lovely, albeit lacking in the punchy flavors you're probably expecting. I strongly urge you to give it another try.

Oh, I've finished off about 3/4 of the bottle (duty-free full litre). It's nice, no doubt about it, but again, I feel like it's missing something.

I enjoy the lighter whiskies, too. Hell, I loved the Balvenie Doublewood, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought the Balvenie Golden Cask at Heathrow's duty-free store three years ago (wow, has it really been three full years since I've had a vacation?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like the Aberlour 12, but I can see where you'd find it lacking. Try A'bunadh imo